PDA

View Full Version : The Ups and Downs of Movies...

Kane Knight
01-19-2004, 03:39 PM
Sort of a review thread, but not. I'm going to start with a single movie, and you can either add your own movie, or discuss the positives and negatives of what's already here.

My Choice: Spider-Man

Pros: One of the first solid Superhero/Comic Book movies. It's really hard to do them, even these days, so a major nod fot this.

Largely true to the comics. The only one that actually annoyed me at all was the webbing thing, and that was only minor.

Excellent special effects.

Toby Maguire is a whole lot better than I expected as Spider-Man/Parker.

Good interaction between characters.

Good plot (By comic standards).

The whole Schizoid deal between Norman and the Goblin was pretty awesome. I mean, when he starts talking to himself in the mirror and everything, it's just...:y:

Cons: The Effects are excellent MOST OF THE TIME, but are also inconsistent. This annoys me when I see that fight during the parade. Suddenly we've gone from watching a big budget movie to the Power Rangers, and then back to a big budget movie. Same with parts of the flaming building scene.

Batman Syndrome: They killed off one of Spider-Man's greatest enemies in the first movie. It may have set up the Harry/Green Goblin thing, but it just kinda...Sucks. Hopefully, they don't go the way of Batman and kill off every interesting character they introduce...

Parker's still a little too mopey. Spider-Man is kinda teen-angsty, but he tends to cover it up with fast banter.

loopydate
01-19-2004, 04:14 PM
My Choice: A Few Good Men

Pros: Fantastically well-written dialogue (obviously an Aaron Sorkin piece)

One of the greatest courtroom scenes of all-time

Jack Nicholson, Kiefer Sutherland, Demi Moore, and Kevin Bacon!

The Markinson character

Cons: Tom Cruise has a tendency to overact this part

Ending is melodramatic. Fantastic interplay between Nicholson and Cruise turns into Nicholson becoming a raving lunatic seemingly out of nowhere, then the whole thing with the Marine saluting...blech.

Characters have a tendency to say "Here's what we're going to do," then they end up doing exactly that, which hurts suspense levels in some parts.