PDA

View Full Version : Some Paul London news

Boondock Saint
08-29-2005, 06:29 PM
Source: PWInsider.com

Paul London has been at home the last several weeks due to a family illness. WWE management gave London the time off to get everything situated and he'll be back in a few weeks.

London has been very negative towards management ever since the road agents at the Rochester Smackdown taping several weeks ago requested that he change his finisher. London told the agents that he wanted to speak to Vince McMahon about the situation first. Several sources indicated that when he went to McMahon he gave a plea stating that he not ban any high flying moves because guys like him who were small would really never make it to the top and wouldn't be huge muscular guys. He said it was the cruiserweight style and that it shouldn't be toned down. McMahon's 'response' to that was having London drop the title to Nunzio the next week and has since been cutting 'whiny' interviews. That is normally what happens when you approach management about something you don't like or agree with. It's interesting that WWE management always tells the wrestlers to "submit idea's" but when they do, they sure pay the price.
----------------------------

London sticks up for the cruisers and gets crapped on. :(

TerranRich
08-29-2005, 06:35 PM
Fuck Vince. He's an idiot for shitting on the Cruiserweight division. I don't mean the casual shits he's taken on them for years now. This is pretty much an official shit. :foc:

Crashnburn
08-29-2005, 06:51 PM
Screw Vince, his hard on for big steroid freaks that can't move, and this petty bullshit. Vince brags about being a great visionary and doing what's best for business but the guy can't see the potential in the CW division that most of the wrestling fans and community see. Wake up, Vince, you and your henchmen are too old for this business. Let someone take over booking that actually has the pulse of the business and fyi that person is not Stephanie.

RemyRed
08-29-2005, 07:17 PM
This is pretty fucked up right here.

Kane Knight
08-29-2005, 07:51 PM
That'll teach ya to believe in the "open door" policy.

I'm surprised they didn't fire him for a family illness.

Mr. Nerfect
08-29-2005, 08:04 PM
I agree that flying around wrecklessly shouldn't be in every cruiserweight match, and guys like London and Nunzio can work the mat, and if given half the chance could put on a potential classic, but the ban preventing cruisers from hitting their finishing moves is silly. I really hope they reconsider it.

cafctom
08-29-2005, 08:07 PM
The 450 can be a dangerous move if not done PERFECTLY. However, London pulls it off excellently and I don't see why the management doesn't seem to show that trust in him.

TerranRich
08-29-2005, 08:22 PM
I guess I'm off to find tapes of some mid-90's WCW events with REAL cruiserweight action in them.

TerranRich
08-29-2005, 08:26 PM

It's more of an "open back-door" policy, where you get a foot up your ass for bringing up a valid point with dense-headed management.

London: "Mr. McMahon, I really think you should reconsider banning our— OOF!"
Vince: "Ban THIS!"
London: "That hurts, Mr. McMahon, both emotionally and physically...but physically moreso...OWWWEEEEES!!"
Vince: :lol: (evil laugh)

PorkSoda
08-29-2005, 08:30 PM
Vince is a fucking idiot. Nuff said. If I ever met the guy I'd tell him that his face in the Bret Hart Shaking Hands With Vince Photo looks like a fuckin mashed potato. WWE are dumbasses. They ought to change their slogan to "WWE: We put the F in FUCKING stupid."

Mr. JL
08-29-2005, 08:37 PM
Let us play devils advocate here, and say Paul London would have lost the cruiserweight championship a week after they implemented the "no high flying moves" rule, and it would not have mattered if Paul London complained or if he did not complain.

It is Vince McMahon's company, and he will take it in whatever direction he wants. If he does not want high flying moves, then there should be no high flying moves. Yes, I believe it is within the rights of his workers to voice their own opinions and punishing them for actually speaking up is rather childish.

HOWEVER

Paul London is known for those high risk moves and it has been his signiture his entire WWE cruiserweight title reign. Truth be told, I cannot recall a match where Paul London did not use a high risk move (except for his matches that were interupted by those new Divas a few months back). I am not sure, and I think the WWE views it the same way of Paul London's ability to pull out good matches without those high flying moves. I mean, Paul London is the one who prompted the ROH fans to scream "PLEASE DON'T DIE" after all the high risk moves he would perform or try to perform.

Here is where Nunzio comes in the picture. Here is a guy who was in ECW, yet got himself over with his gimmick and ground based moves (which is apparently what the WWE wants in a cruiserweight champion). Nunzio CAN work a no high flying match, and does work a no high flying match. Despite this, his matches are always entertaining and always get over with the crowd. Case in point, I think Nunzio is the perfect cruiserweight to put the title around during the WWE's "no high risk moves" era.

Paul London just does not fit the current cruiserweight structure with no "high flying moves" rule in place, and Nunzio fits in perfectly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

That was just me playing devils advocate. I personally love watching Paul London in the ring and definitely in the air. And I believe it is absurd that the WWE pulls this kind of "no high flying moves" crap. I was just trying to illustrate that there can be logic found in Paul London losing the title to Nunzio a week after the WWE implements the "no high risk moves" rule, and that it may not just be because he spoke up and expressed his conflicting point of view.

Kane Knight
08-29-2005, 08:44 PM
Yeah, but what's the point of the Cruiserweight belt? I mean, Nunzio is about as common as a talented diva in the WWE...HE may have great ground ability, but most cruisers use high risk moves...

Mr. JL
08-29-2005, 08:51 PM
I agree that a cruiserweight division/title scene without high flying moves is pointless, considering that most cruisers use high risk moves. I guess the WWE is just trying to change the definition of a cruiserweight (and the cruiserweight division), from high flying, entertaining, non stop action and redefine it as two 200 pound guys who fight for the belt that the 200 pound guys fight for. Which I think would be a pretty stupid thing to do considering there is a definite want for high flying action.

McLegend
08-29-2005, 08:53 PM
They should join the CW title with US title.

This would strengthen the midcard pretty well IMO, and get rid of a useless title.

thecc
08-29-2005, 08:54 PM

I'm surprised they didn't fire him for a family illness.They haven't complety made him look like a fool yet.

John la Rock
08-29-2005, 08:58 PM
It's a shame but I do understand Vince's point of view

People always fuck up these moves. remember when Kidman knocked out Chavo? or when Lesnar knocked out himself at WM?

Funky Fly
08-29-2005, 08:59 PM
Most of the WWE's cruisers can work well on the ground, right? They should all just start busting out moves like crazy and show up guys like the Undertaker and Heidenreich. It'll be worth it for the 1 or 2 shows before they get released all at once.

Batsu
08-29-2005, 09:07 PM
I'm with London. Generally, mat wrestling with the Cruiserweights rules (see WCW with Helms and co.) but...some people NEED to have the occasional high spot. I see more problems with Rob Conway and his teetering elbow drop than London with the 450.

WWE's continued pussification of their in-ring product is partly what's declining the overall product. They don't need to make a bad situation worse...

KayfabeMan
08-29-2005, 09:51 PM
And that my friends, is why when you're doing OK on the indy scene - you DO NOT sign with the WWE. You do Japan, you do as many indy dates as you can, you do TNA, whatever is available - and use WWE as a last resort.

Unless you're in it for the money, there's nothing beneficial. If you are someone who enjoys actually putting on a show, and wants to showcase what you've worked hard to accomplish - you don't have a need to be there.

Kane Knight
08-29-2005, 10:13 PM
I agree that a cruiserweight division/title scene without high flying moves is pointless, considering that most cruisers use high risk moves. I guess the WWE is just trying to change the definition of a cruiserweight (and the cruiserweight division), from high flying, entertaining, non stop action and redefine it as two 200 pound guys who fight for the belt that the 200 pound guys fight for. Which I think would be a pretty stupid thing to do considering there is a definite want for high flying action.

By the way, I do appreciate the whole devil's advocate statement before.

It's just that there's little to no way they can redefine the division successfully. The CW title's only real draw at all is spots. Big high risk moves and sick shit the big guys don't do. While people CAN be ground grapplers and still be entertaining, there's no real draw to that as a division.

Kane Knight
08-29-2005, 10:15 PM
It's a shame but I do understand Vince's point of view

People always fuck up these moves. remember when Kidman knocked out Chavo? or when Lesnar knocked out himself at WM?

Yeah, and this is worse than Austin or Masters injuring someone? Think about how many injuries there are. Things haven't gotten better, despite the softer wrestling.

Kane Knight
08-29-2005, 10:17 PM
Most of the WWE's cruisers can work well on the ground, right? They should all just start busting out moves like crazy and show up guys like the Undertaker and Heidenreich. It'll be worth it for the 1 or 2 shows before they get released all at once.

They wouldn't get released.

Just told not to do any ground moves either.

CW title bout, Paul London and Nunzio thumb wrestle for the title.

Mr. Nerfect
08-29-2005, 11:02 PM
Let us play devils advocate here, and say Paul London would have lost the cruiserweight championship a week after they implemented the "no high flying moves" rule, and it would not have mattered if Paul London complained or if he did not complain.

It is Vince McMahon's company, and he will take it in whatever direction he wants. If he does not want high flying moves, then there should be no high flying moves. Yes, I believe it is within the rights of his workers to voice their own opinions and punishing them for actually speaking up is rather childish.

HOWEVER

Paul London is known for those high risk moves and it has been his signiture his entire WWE cruiserweight title reign. Truth be told, I cannot recall a match where Paul London did not use a high risk move (except for his matches that were interupted by those new Divas a few months back). I am not sure, and I think the WWE views it the same way of Paul London's ability to pull out good matches without those high flying moves. I mean, Paul London is the one who prompted the ROH fans to scream "PLEASE DON'T DIE" after all the high risk moves he would perform or try to perform.

Here is where Nunzio comes in the picture. Here is a guy who was in ECW, yet got himself over with his gimmick and ground based moves (which is apparently what the WWE wants in a cruiserweight champion). Nunzio CAN work a no high flying match, and does work a no high flying match. Despite this, his matches are always entertaining and always get over with the crowd. Case in point, I think Nunzio is the perfect cruiserweight to put the title around during the WWE's "no high risk moves" era.

Paul London just does not fit the current cruiserweight structure with no "high flying moves" rule in place, and Nunzio fits in perfectly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

That was just me playing devils advocate. I personally love watching Paul London in the ring and definitely in the air. And I believe it is absurd that the WWE pulls this kind of "no high flying moves" crap. I was just trying to illustrate that there can be logic found in Paul London losing the title to Nunzio a week after the WWE implements the "no high risk moves" rule, and that it may not just be because he spoke up and expressed his conflicting point of view.

I know what you're trying to say, and I personally think Nunzio makes an excellent Cruiserweight Champion (well he would if the WWE let him do stuff). I do think London could pretty much work a ***** match with Nunzio on the ground, though, and I don't think he NEEDS high moves. It's just that is why a lot of people love the division so much. The WWE very rarely gives the cruisers over 5 mintues. In 5 minutes it is very hard to tell a good story in the ring without using high flying stuff.

London doesn't need to hit the 450 or London Calling every match, but putting a ban on these moves is stupid. London hitting the crossbody off the top rope wouldn't have the same effect as hitting a 450 or an SSP.

I just watched Backlash 2002, and I must say the opening Cruiserweight match between Tajiri and Billy Kidman for the Cruiserweight Title was phenominal. They didn't do anything TOO risky, and they got the crowd into it. Billy Kidman was a fantasic cruiserweight, that as a babyface was extremely over by the time he was done in a match. He never really did anything too high risk, either. Most of his stuff was high impact.

If Paul London and Nunzio were given 15-25 minutes to tell a story on SmackDown! or PPV, Hell even Velocity, I guarantee they could get the fans into their match. Take the limits off for their match and the whole world could see why these two guys are so over with the online crowd.

I hate the way the WWE are not only diluting the division, they are bottling it up. Let it flow, and let the guys do what they need to do to get their stuff over.

Corkscrewed
08-30-2005, 01:16 AM
Nunzio CAN work a no high flying match, and does work a no high flying match. Despite this, his matches are always entertaining and always get over with the crowd. Case in point, I think Nunzio is the perfect cruiserweight to put the title around during the WWE's "no high risk moves" era.

Too bad we haven't seen him since he won the title.

Or something like that. :'(

Destor
08-30-2005, 01:46 AM
You learn quick in the wrestling business when you open your mouth, London chose the wrong time. Its a shame how the cruiser weight devision gets fucked as hard as they do though. They have some of the most talented athletes they've ever had in the cruiser weight division and they continue to be misused. At least Rey Mysterio is getting used.

Kane Knight
08-30-2005, 01:51 AM

Or something like that. :'(

He's been on Velocity.

...Which basically ammounts to