PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend a good firewall?

Nowhere Man
01-21-2004, 04:41 PM
I'll be honest with you guys: I don't know shit about software, so I may be looking for the wrong sort of solution here. If that's the case, someone point me in the right direction.

Recently, I accidentally downloaded some sort of virus/spyware/something that has made using my computer a living hell. Ad-aware, Spybot, AVG7, Norton Antivirus, Stinger, none of them work. Hell, I can't even reformat my hard drive to get rid of it!

I'm hoping maybe putting up a good firewall will do the trick. Can anyone help me out here?

Vega
01-21-2004, 05:11 PM
I use zone alarm.

www.zonealarm.com i think.

asphyXy
01-21-2004, 11:25 PM
<font color=969696>Software firewalls are complete shit. You're best bet is to buy a router if you're really concerned. If you have a router, you're fine.</font>

DS
01-22-2004, 07:01 PM
First, if you already have the file on your computer, a firewall isn't going to help at all.
Second, if you are running Windows XP just use their firewall.

To get there:
1. Go to Start
2. Control Panel
3. Network Connections
4. Select what connection you use (If there is more then one repeat step 5 and 6 until you have all enabled connections set behind the firewall)
5. Right Click
6. Go to the "Advanced" tab and check the box under "Internet Connection Firewall"

Kris P Lettus
01-22-2004, 11:19 PM
I use zone alarm.

www.zonealarm.com i think.

that

Jesus Shuttlesworth
01-23-2004, 12:51 AM
I have ZoneAlarm

I have a router too though....so do I even need zone alarm?

DS
01-23-2004, 03:47 PM
I have ZoneAlarm

I have a router too though....so do I even need zone alarm?
If your router has a firewall (most likely it does as majority, if not all, do) then you don't really NEED it but it would still be good to have.

CREDO
01-24-2004, 11:31 AM
I use agnitum outpost firewall pro 2.0
as software firewalls go its been rated the best by a few PC mags, so I gave it a go, and yeah, its pretty good.
But as asphyXy said, hardware firewalls are the only way to go.

I find it very hard to believe that your cant even re-format. the only thing that would cause that is physical damage to the hard drive.