PDA

View Full Version : Lucha Libre: The Mask & It's Impact

PureHatred
09-24-2005, 02:27 AM
To begin with, in order to understand the significance of masks in Mexican wrestling, you must first accept the fact that wrestling is in no way looked at as “fake” within Mexican culture. As a matter of fact, wrestling is given the same stature in Mexico as our ‘mainstream’ sports are given here in the U.S. Wrestling, or Lucha Libre, (defined ‘free fight’)is literally everywhere.

Lucha libre is all over the country; whether you're in Baja California or on a street corner in Mexico City, some aspect of it can be found. In a country of 100 million people, at least 90% of all Mexicans can identify with two of the most adored and revered iconic images: The first one is the beloved "Virgin of Guadalupe" and the second one is the silver mask of the legendary "El Santo", Mexico's most famous wrestler.

Lucha libre is second only to soccer as the country's national sport and it's safe to say that seven nights a week across the country, a wrestling event is going on. It is entrenched in the fabric of the country. It is not mere fandom,. But more of a passion and a culture. The epicentre for this is located in Mexico City at the Cathedral of wrestling "La Arena Mexico" and "La Arena Coliseo", home to the CMLL (Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre), the oldest wrestling company in the world today. If "Attitude" best describes the WWE then "Tradition" best describes the CMLL. The rich history of this company dates back over 70 years when Salvador Lutteroth Gonzalez first formed the company in 1933.

And from the very beginning the masks were there.

It started in the mid-1930s with wrestler such as El Enmascarado (English: "The Masked Man"), the Irish Ciclón McKey and La Maravilla Enmascarada (English: "The Masked Marvel").

Theories on the orgin of the masks vary wildly. Early mask were very simple with basic colors and were honestly used primarily to distinguish one fighter from another. But here are deeper, more significant meanings. Culturally, all the native gods of Mexico wore animal masks. And more specifically, masks are a very special part of the Mexican culture and recall early hispanic times.The Aztecs had a very special elite in their society: The Caballeros Aguila (Eagle Knights); the highest-class soldiers were respected for their unique braveness and fighting skills. They used to wear a mask and a whole eagle outfit. The mask reflexed their status; it was intimidating and sacred.

And masks are mystical; they show another side of the personality of the person who wears it. In Lucha Libre, the mask gives the enmascarado(masked man) a free soul to express himself on the ring. As the popularity of the luchadores rose in the '50s so did their demand. At one point, the Mexican film industry's bread and butter was the production of Mexican wrestling films. El Santo himself starred in over 50 features, thus immortalizing his icon status in the world. The role of the luchador in popular Mexican culture quickly crossed the line between reality and fantasy. They became the incarnation of comic book superheroes. The mask is the ultimate symbol of lucha libre; it not only conceals the luchador's identity, but gives him the power and mysticism that is derived from prehispanic times. By wearing it, a luchador is akin to the noble samurai; They both follow a code and covet the tenants of honour, respect and courage above no other. To a luchador, losing their mask in battle is the ultimate dishonour.

And the mask is even a symbol of on of the other founding tenets of Mexican culture: family. The masks and identities are passed down from generation to generation. Santo was the Elvis of lucha libre in the 50's and 60's. Blue Demon, Lizmark, Espectro, Rayo de Jalisco, Pierroth, Doctor Wagner, Tinieblas, Rey Misterio and dozens more have sons or relatives giving their costumes a second life. Third and fourth generations are inevitable.

Which is why the most highly anticipated and biggest drawing matches in Mexican wrestling are always máscara contra mascara: mask vs mask.

Losing your mask isn’t just a major loss of stature for you but for those who wore it before you. That’s why this match is always used as either a pay-off for what is usually a years long feud, almost always held at a major even in front of huge crowds, and is either the sign of a luchador going through a major and permanent character change or retirement. Because according to the honor code that guides lucha libre--a wrestler's identity vanishes when he is unmasked. Camera flashes light the arena, and the wrestler's face appears in newspapers across Mexico. For fans, it's like watching a superhero being stripped of magical powers.

So when the WCW had its luchadors losing their masks seemingly without reason, it wa san insult and a disgrace to the fans who had followed men like Rey Misterio through not only their careers, but for generations before.

Being a luchador isn’t just about fame. Or money. Because if you make it in lucha, you won't just be a star. Soccer players can be stars. But a luchador, improbable as it sounds, can also be a hero. A legend.

When the original El Santo died, his funeral was among the largest in the history of Mexico. Tens of thousands flooded the streets of Mexico City outside the funeral parlour; he was, of course, buried in his mask..

And according to legend, on his deathbed Santo told his son El Hijo del Santo to carry on the tradition and to never lose the mask as part of match stipulation.

No wonder Santos--who usually discards the formal "de los" of his name--succinctly summed up his career one night for a Tijuana taxi driver while doing a December 2001 interview for the LA Times. The driver took in Santos' bulk and battered face. Was he a luchador?

"Por la vida," Santos shot back.

For life.

PureHatred
09-24-2005, 02:30 AM
Credit to SLAM! wrestling, Gordon Solie's Online Wrestling Museum, Los Angeles Times
December 26 2001 "Bloody Glory in a Mask"By RICHARD MAROSI, and Wikipedia.

This was written because I thought Shadow might actually read the whole thing, and because TL is an asshole.

Funky Fly
09-24-2005, 04:13 AM
I :heart: masked wrestling.

The Mask
09-24-2005, 07:26 AM
sup

the Master-brock
09-24-2005, 08:03 AM
Points for taking the time to post this.... ;)

The world has no time for ignorant pricks

Chavo Classic
09-24-2005, 09:28 AM
Wow!

Jaton
09-24-2005, 09:49 AM
That just makes me hate WCW even more.

Impact!
09-24-2005, 09:51 AM
Yep.

Chavo Classic
09-24-2005, 09:59 AM
This article highlights one of the main problems I have against WWE hiring laypersons to write for them. They wouldn't understand wrestling traditions and histories such as these.

Jaton
09-24-2005, 11:28 AM
I concur.

Impact!
09-24-2005, 11:32 AM
*looks at word a day calender*

Dammit Jaton, you stole my word. :mad:

Jaton
09-24-2005, 11:38 AM
pwnt

Londoner
09-24-2005, 11:40 AM
Credit to SLAM! wrestling, Gordon Solie's Online Wrestling Museum, Los Angeles Times
December 26 2001 "Bloody Glory in a Mask"By RICHARD MAROSI, and Wikipedia.

This was written because I thought Shadow might actually read the whole thing, and because TL is an asshole.

I'm not an asshole, but whatever.I did not know how seriously wrestling was taken over there, so to me it just seemed stupid, but since they don't view it as staged I can atleast appreciate that culture.Thanks for the article though.

Chavo Classic
09-24-2005, 11:48 AM
What does TL stand for?

....and don't anyone say Gay Rights because thats not funny.

tee hee :lol:

Londoner
09-24-2005, 11:49 AM
TL is just an abbreviation of my original name on here-Thuglife, I know it's shite.But i was a fan of Cena back then and tried to think of a name that showed that,lol.Messageboard names is not something i'm good at.

Chavo Classic
09-24-2005, 11:51 AM
....which is....?

Jaton
09-24-2005, 11:52 AM
THE LOSER! HAR HAR! :yes:

Chavo Classic
09-24-2005, 11:55 AM
We should do an official 'what does TL stand for' thread?

Londoner
09-24-2005, 11:55 AM
THE LOSER! HAR HAR! :yes:

You Sonofabitch. :mad: :nono:

Jaton
09-24-2005, 11:56 AM
pwnt. :)

Londoner
09-24-2005, 11:57 AM
We should do an official 'what does TL stand for' thread?

I just told you.

Chavo Classic
09-24-2005, 11:58 AM
I just told you.

Did you edit that? Because when I read your post all it said was 'it was an abbreviation of my original name'

Jaton
But you didn't tell us the name.

Jaton
Okay I never saw that. Bastard.

PureHatred
09-24-2005, 02:42 PM
That just makes me hate WCW even more.

It actually gets even worse. Since they had so many luchadores on their roster, WCW was actually able to sell a weekly syndicated show to spanish language TV channels. Would've been wildly lucrative. So of course the WCW decided to air week after week of matches where the luchadores were jobbed out to american wrestlers. And not American stars, mind you. But midcarders like Hugh Morrus and Lani Lane.

This would've been like the WWE marketing programming to Japan where Kenta Kobashi tours the US losing to Orlando Jordan and Scotty 2 Hotty.

Needless to say, the shows were canceled fairly quickly and the WCW ended up eating the cost of the show and losing money on the deal. They lost money selling wrestling to mexico; that's like losing money aelling bad music to 12 year old white girls.

It takes a special kind of incompetence.

Jaton
09-24-2005, 02:44 PM
112 year old? I'd imagine it'd be hard to sell anything to dead girls.

PureHatred
09-24-2005, 02:49 PM
I'm not an asshole, but whatever.I did not know how seriously wrestling was taken over there, so to me it just seemed stupid, but since they don't view it as staged I can atleast appreciate that culture.Thanks for the article though.

I wote the article, but all the background info and dates came from a simple google search. I'm sure you're not actually an asshole, but I never understand when people's first reaction to something they don't understand is to laugh at it.

If you'd educated yourself just a little you would've understood why even someone as fairly blah as Jeff jarrett could make a crowd go nuts.

Chavo Classic
09-24-2005, 02:53 PM
TL = xenophobe

Shadow
09-24-2005, 06:13 PM
Just found it and damn dude, that's a well wrote out artical.

I've always enjoyed the concept of masks. It lets a person be somebody else, someone their not and allows them freedom to do anything they want. I guess it's the reason all of my efed characters wear masks..though with Ironbite you'd be hard pressed to figure out he's wearing a mask.

Corkscrewed
09-25-2005, 03:32 AM
Nice article. I've always known about the importance of masks, but not as much about specific wrestler history and stuff like that. So the specifics about people like El Santo were pretty neat.

Londoner
09-26-2005, 09:51 AM
I wote the article, but all the background info and dates came from a simple google search. I'm sure you're not actually an asshole, but I never understand when people's first reaction to something they don't understand is to laugh at it.

If you'd educated yourself just a little you would've understood why even someone as fairly blah as Jeff jarrett could make a crowd go nuts.

I laughed at it because over here/US if a guy loses his mask its no big deal.Look what happened with Kane for example, ok it fucked up his character but there wasn't like an outrage or anything.

Chavo Classic
09-26-2005, 09:53 AM
No outrage? I think there was from some posters. Obviously not for the same reasons there might be when a Luchador loses their mask.

Londoner
09-26-2005, 09:53 AM
Did you edit that? Because when I read your post all it said was 'it was an abbreviation of my original name'

Yeah i did edit it.

Chavo Classic
09-26-2005, 09:54 AM
But essentially, yeh. I even remember an episode of Tough Enough III (when it was still a 'reality show') when Rey came to speak to the trialists and revealed his face. Al Snow told them it was an honour for a Luchador to do such a thing.

Even though those who watched WCW would think otherwise

Londoner
09-26-2005, 09:55 AM
No outrage? I think there was from some posters. Obviously not for the same reasons there might be when a Luchador loses their mask.

Maybe there was from posters, but in the arena itsself when it happened, people just watched, they didn't riot or anything.

Btw Chavo, you post way too fast!

Chavo Classic
09-26-2005, 09:57 AM
Yeh, I do really. It's just that I'm in the office most times so I've got to open the window fast, type my reply and close it again before I'm caught. It's a habit I've developed.

Londoner
09-26-2005, 09:59 AM
I now also understand what all the fuss was about when Eddie beat the hell out of Rey and took his mask, imagine if that happened in mexico...

Chavo Classic
09-26-2005, 10:50 AM
I had an idea for a angle where Rey was assaulted by an unknown assiliant backstage and his mask stolen. Rey refuses to wrestle without his masks, and doesn't even appear on television. It turns out that a heel like Angle stole his mask and is found backstage pissing on it.

After reading that articles, I probably wouldn't commission it now