PDA

View Full Version : Needing help with Slashers...

Fryza
09-29-2005, 12:44 PM
My friends and I are going to be making a slasher film (closely related to Halloween) for a film festival in Jan. However, we want to know some Do's and Dont's for slasher films we should try to avoid, to make it a little more stand-out than just "oh noes here he comes!!" or something...

And yes, the killer does live at the end, some of the other guys wanted to leave it open for a "finale" second I guess...

Jason Cage
09-29-2005, 01:02 PM
don't EVER in your life have "teens stumbling upon something and then getting killed" routine.

you know what, just dont put teens in there at all, it's extremely gay.

dunno much about slasher flicks except that its gotten extremely gay with teens doing a prank on someone, or stumbling upon a desolate house, etc

Fryza
09-29-2005, 01:19 PM
Yeah, one of the guys we're working with is having that same nerve twitch.

Personally, I like the slow, methodical killer, so we're going to find ways to put the person into shock or use more implyed gore, depending...

loopydate
09-29-2005, 01:20 PM
The more you can insinuate, the better.

Every slasher film goes into so much detail now that it all looks the same. The scariest thing about the older slashers like "Psycho" is that you know what's happening, and you know it must be horrible, but the director isn't letting you see it. You see a knife go up, you hear a scream, you see blood spiraling down the drain.

Anyone can make a movie with over-the-top gore that hooks people (sometimes literally) with the violence. The amazing slashers are the ones that emphasize story and let the tension mount by leaving things to the viewers' imaginations.

Fryza
09-29-2005, 01:25 PM
We have about three or four instances of implyed gore so far (Hanging, crucifixtion, and a murder (knife probably).

We have about three/four shown deaths (or barely shown deaths). We're going for the Psycho/Halloween style murders that are implyed or barely seen.

Thanks Loopy, I will remember that. :y:

RP
09-29-2005, 01:57 PM
Have the slasler kill old people at a nursery home. Then have him go to a pet store and murder puppies.

O yah. Have him kill kids too. Kids never get killed. Have kill like 20 kids and show every death scene.

Fryza
09-29-2005, 01:58 PM
LOL

I love it.

Crimson
10-09-2005, 11:16 PM
For the first victim make it some hooker who thinks the slasher is a customer. then when she starts with the attitude have him hold her neck and stick a 10 inch knife thru the top of her skull. then the crowd can cheer as her cleavage stays in sight, and the bitch with an attitude is dead.

Champion of Europa
10-09-2005, 11:30 PM
Don't let anyone run upstairs.

No showers.

If the killer calls, they run.

Wouldn't it be bad ass if the killer calls and says he's in the house, and she hears a noise, and runs outside. The camera zooms in to the source of the noise (a cat or something falling), and then as she runs out the door, KNIFE TO THE THROAT.

RP
10-10-2005, 12:51 AM
Have the slasher stab everyone in the vagina. Then lite a cigarett and drop a box of tampons on the body. Have him say something catchy like " Its that time of the month bitch " before he kills her too.

Lara Emily
10-10-2005, 02:33 AM
Ensure you omit the following phrase from your script: I'll be right back.

Lara Emily
10-10-2005, 02:34 AM
Kill more male characters then female characters.

Maybe have a Scream King instead of a Scream Queen.

Disturbed316
10-10-2005, 10:53 AM
Swerve it up.

Crashnburn
10-10-2005, 01:08 PM
Ensure you omit the following phrase from your script: I'll be right back.

or "What was that?" or "What was that noise?" or "Did you hear that?"

and "It was just the wind."

loopydate
10-10-2005, 10:47 PM
If one of the characters says "We should all stick together..."

For Christ's sake, have them actually all stick together!

Disturbed316
10-12-2005, 11:13 AM
"If I'm not back in five minutes, you go and call for help"

Instead they go looking for them and get slashed up.