PDA

View Full Version : ps2 v. xbox for online gameplay?

VonErich Lives
01-23-2004, 11:12 PM
Ok, going to finally break down and buy one of these (yeah, it will collect dust).

That being said, my brother has ps2, my friends have xbox.

I'd want to play them in Madden.

That being said, I have a cable modem, no dial-up ISP.

So, which is easier/cheaper for online game play?

Thanks.

DS
01-23-2004, 11:47 PM
If you're looking to base it around Madden, go for the PS2. Better features.

Ease of use: Xbox
Cheapest: PS2
Better community: Toss up but probably Xbox at the moment

It's really a toss up between them both but I personally prefer the PS2 Online then Xbox Live. Although I love them both. :love:

DaveWadding
01-23-2004, 11:56 PM
Madden is only online on PS2. and PS2 online is free ;)

Bad Guy
01-24-2004, 12:24 AM
Xbox. Forget your friends. Buying a ps2 for one game? Naaaaaaaah. Xbox has more quality, better service, not to mention game of the year 2004 Halo 2 coming out sometime. Although madden is a great game, I would not buy a ps2 just for that one game. I know that you would like to play your friends a lot, but trust me, when your friends are not on, you will have so many problems with that game. There are so many glitchers and cheaters now you will regret it.

sucafrutpi
01-24-2004, 01:09 AM
at least with the xbox it comes with the network adapter for nothing extra. you have to either buy the ps2 with the network adapter or buy it separately. the ps2 net adapter also has a modem though for if you want to play games that don't take a lot of bandwidth (i have Risk for example that fits this category). i haven't been able to play on xbox live or ps2 online probably cause of my special configuration though (only have a phone line with a really complex dialing sequece required. i can connect through my laptop, but can't play with anyone).

VonErich Lives
01-24-2004, 09:37 AM
Do I need an ISP w/ the PS2 or does it dial into it's own service?

DS
01-24-2004, 12:33 PM
If you have cable modem that is your ISP. You just plug the cable into the adaptor and go through a set up and you're finished and ready. Simple as that.

DS
01-24-2004, 12:34 PM
at least with the xbox it comes with the network adapter for nothing extra.
:eek: Nevermind! Get an Xbox because then you don't even have to buy the adaptor just the $20 more subscription!

Ninti the Mad
01-24-2004, 01:12 PM
Ps2.

Sephiroth
01-24-2004, 01:17 PM
I got them both. Go for the XBOX :y:

sucafrutpi
01-24-2004, 01:57 PM
:eek: Nevermind! Get an Xbox because then you don't even have to buy the adaptor just the $20 more subscription!

um, xbox live is $6 a month and the first 2 months are free if you have a game that comes with the promotion.

with ps2 and xbox you need to have an isp to connect to the service.

VonErich Lives
01-24-2004, 02:45 PM
If you have cable modem that is your ISP. You just plug the cable into the adaptor and go through a set up and you're finished and ready. Simple as that.

I should have clarafied, my cable modem is located no where near my tv where the PS2 would be...

screw it, I'm just gonna play my madden 2000 on my N64! :P

OR I'll just buy 10 copies of Madden2004 for my PC and give them to friends/family as birthday presents!

DS
01-24-2004, 08:31 PM
um, xbox live is $6 a month and the first 2 months are free if you have a game that comes with the promotion.
In other words, $50 a year. That is $20 more then buying the PS2 Network Adaptor and you still have to buy a subscription to Xbox Live. So even though Xbox has the connection already installed, you still have to buy something to make the internet work on either system. What's so bad about going with the PS2 which is free?

DS
01-24-2004, 08:32 PM
I should have clarafied, my cable modem is located no where near my tv where the PS2 would be...
Oh alright, well if you want to get around that you could always buy a wireless router and just connect your PC to it and your PS2/Xbox.

sucafrutpi
01-25-2004, 01:09 AM
In other words, $50 a year. That is $20 more then buying the PS2 Network Adaptor and you still have to buy a subscription to Xbox Live. So even though Xbox has the connection already installed, you still have to buy something to make the internet work on either system. What's so bad about going with the PS2 which is free?

i was pointing out that each has it's advantages.

DS
01-25-2004, 10:43 AM
i was pointing out that each has it's advantages.
Understood but it's not an advantage. You still have to buy a subscription to activate it and it would just be like going and buying a PS2 Adaptor.

Bad Guy
02-01-2004, 04:32 AM
Ah, I have the answer to that my friend. On xbox if someone is acting up, they have one gamertag and only one. Therefore if you ever come across this guy, you can kick him out of your game, or who knows, Microsoft might ban his credit card so he'll never play xbox live again. Playstation 2 on the other hand, you have no set name. You can make as many names as you want, and you'll never know that "Joe532" is really "Destroyer1". On xbox, you have one name and only one.

MrMeJW
02-01-2004, 10:40 AM
EA only supports PS2 for online play right now. Microsoft and XBox are talking about working something out for next years games but nothing is set in stone. If you want to play sports games online go with PS2.

Sure you will have to buy the network adapter but if you get the online bundle you get a game with it for free. Also if you plan on watching DVDs on your system you are going to have to buy something extra for the XBox so it all works out.

I have both and I say PS2 all the way.

Also check out Socom II for PS2

Silent
02-01-2004, 01:01 PM
Sony Network Adapter's MSRP is 40 dollars, not 30 as DS is implying.

There is only a small price differerence between Xbox Live and PS2 online. The only difference is you keep paying for Xbox Live, whereas PS2 is a one time fee (unless your PS2 breaks down, not an uncommon occurance apparently.) But you get what you pay for.

Xbox gives you voice communication in every online game (I know a few PS2 games also have this) and you can keep a buddy list to see which buddies are online and what games they are playing. Say you are playing MechAssault and JimBob132 is playing Project Gotham 2, you can send him an invite to come play Mech with you.

PS2 has a lot less games then Xbox does, but there are some really good ones.. Need For Speed Underground, Socom 2, etc.

Overall, I would just look at the online selection for both systems, and whichever one has more games to your liking buy it. The prices between the two are small, that shouldn't be an issue. If you are enjoying Xbox Live, you shouldn't have a problem paying 6 bucks a month for it.

MrMeJW
02-01-2004, 01:31 PM
Well if you get the network adapter when you buy the system, like in their network pack, its only 20 dollars extra. Almost all of PS2's online games support voice chat now. Also the new systems are not as likely to break down. It was a problem with the dvd drive that they have now fixed in the newer systems. If you do buy the network pack you are assured to get the newer system.