PDA

View Full Version : Is tna impact watchable?

BigDaddyCool
10-17-2005, 02:16 PM
The few times I've have seen TNA, I haven't been impressed. I might try watching Impact TV tonight, but is it any good?

redoneja
10-17-2005, 02:21 PM
Yes it is. Decent matches, with packages that highlight the history of some of the wrestlers to newer fans. Plus you get to hear Mike Tenay take shots at WWE. For example, Rhino went for a piledriver on Sabu and Tenay was like "Rhino going for the piledriver, remember there are no move restrictions in TNA".

McLegend
10-17-2005, 02:21 PM
Yes it's pretty good

BigDaddyCool
10-17-2005, 02:26 PM
Idk, Mike Tenay was one of the reasons that I didn't ritually tune into WCW.

BigDaddyCool
10-17-2005, 02:31 PM
btw, how long as Double J been champion now?

Funky Fly
10-17-2005, 02:33 PM
Couple of months I thnk.

loopydate
10-17-2005, 03:04 PM
I think it's only been about a month. 'Cause he won it back right before the show debuted on Spike, and it's only been on, what, three weeks?

But, yeah, watch it. There are moments that drag, but the in-ring action is better than anything you'll see from WWE, and the "funeral" segment is brilliant.

Disturbed316
10-17-2005, 03:07 PM
Not really.

PullMyFinger
10-17-2005, 03:25 PM
I think people are being way too harsh on TNA...I mean really, you'll never get something completely perfect.

I've given TNA a chance, and I can honestly say that they've done a decent job at it. I like TNA now, and I hope they really do succeed.

The Naitch
10-17-2005, 03:29 PM
Sure the wrestling is good, but that's not everything. I don't think I'll tune it after RAW.

St. Jimmy
10-17-2005, 03:44 PM
personally with 2 minor-major changes,
i would enjoy it alot better.

1. New announce team. Sorry, they're just too annoying to listen to.
2. Save the 6 sided ring for Ultimate X. 4 Corners is fine for everyone else.

3. Kill Jarrett.

loopydate
10-17-2005, 03:47 PM
Honestly, as long as Jarrett isn't the focal point of the show (and he hasn't been so far), he's watchable. TNA has done the right thing so far by working on giving their homegrown talent most of the airtime on Impact, while giving Jarrett/Nash one (or maybe) two segments a night.

The show revolves around the X division and the AMW/3D feud to this point, and that's the way it should be.

There's one thing about TNA, above all else, that I prefer to WWE: TNA's storylines are there to further the matches. WWE's matches are there to further the storylines.

BigDaddyCool
10-17-2005, 09:30 PM
oh yeah, the dudleys are on there...hmmmmmmmm...they suck now.

Boondock Saint
10-17-2005, 11:04 PM
It's worth watching. I like it, just not as much as WWE (yet). I make sure to tape RAW because I work Monday nights, but I don't go out of my way to tape Impact, and am usually watching RAW during the Impact replay on Monday. I'm hoping TNA will do something that will hook me into wanting to tape it religiously. The in-ring action is great, their storylines are still quite lacking IMO, but with guys like Daniels and AJ I don't mind as much. I don't give a shit about their world title though.

RemyRed
10-18-2005, 12:15 AM
It's also fun to notice that their booking team has NO IDEA who's face or heel in their own company.

loopydate
10-18-2005, 12:29 AM
It's also fun to notice that their booking team has NO IDEA who's face or heel in their own company.

A big chunk of that, though, is that the crowd is full of smarks and pseudo-smarks who just cheer for whoever they feel like, regardless of storylines.

For example, they refuse to boo Abyss, despite the fact that he's being booked as an unstoppable heel monster, complete with alliance to Jarrett.

They've had to turn a lot of guys face due to fan reaction (Lance Hoyt and Monty Brown are prime examples). Seems like the only way they can get someone over as a heel is if they're Jeff Jarrett or Canadian (with the exception of Petey Williams, who is also mega-over).

PullMyFinger
10-18-2005, 12:40 AM
Which is why they should pull a WCW by bringing in people who aren't fans and telling them when to boo or cheer. LOL

loopydate
10-18-2005, 12:46 AM
Honestly, a few plants may not be a terrible idea.

Stickman
10-18-2005, 11:18 AM
I would say it is not watchable. I tried watching the last five minutes last night but it was just so bad. Whats with the six sided ring? The best wrestlers are in the WWE. I know a lot of people would say otherwise, but it's true. If there was somebody good in TNA, Vince would offer a contract.

BigDaddyCool
10-18-2005, 12:10 PM
I think I watched like 10 minutes of it, and was bored and annoyed. All the wrestlers look exactly alike...well all of the young guys. I mean if you put Petey Williams, AJ Styles, those other 2 jerks in the Ulimate X challenge deal, they all looked exactly alike, and they all have regular names, how am I suppose to keep up with that. There is this thing called gimmicks, and when everyone has the same gimmick and look, it becomes rather pointless.

Oh, and the wrestling isn't all that good either.

PullMyFinger
10-18-2005, 12:32 PM
I think I watched like 10 minutes of it, and was bored and annoyed. All the wrestlers look exactly alike...well all of the young guys. I mean if you put Petey Williams, AJ Styles, those other 2 jerks in the Ulimate X challenge deal, they all looked exactly alike, and they all have regular names, how am I suppose to keep up with that. There is this thing called gimmicks, and when everyone has the same gimmick and look, it becomes rather pointless.

Oh, and the wrestling isn't all that good either.
Actually, that's one thing I've bitched about a lot. I agree, I hate how all the wrestlers arel ike the same...they all go by their names and look identical.

BigDaddyCool
10-18-2005, 01:06 PM
When everyone is named Petey Williams, Monty Brown, AJ Styles, Elix Skipper, and Lance Hoytt, it sounds more like the newest boy band than wrestlers.

Sadistic
10-18-2005, 01:22 PM
The best wrestlers are in the WWE. I know a lot of people would say otherwise, but it's true. If there was somebody good in TNA, Vince would offer a contract.
How many indy matches have you seen? None? Thought so.

Kane Knight
10-18-2005, 09:43 PM
Impact gets a resounding "meh" to me.

Destor
10-18-2005, 09:49 PM
:eek:

Has he returned? Or is this a teaser?

The Naitch
10-19-2005, 12:22 AM
Not impressed by TNA at all. Sure I respect what they do, but it's like they try too hard. It's not my thing.

Stickman
10-19-2005, 12:58 AM

What does my (lack of) watching indy matches have to do with anything? The best in the business are in the WWE(period) Mind you, some could possibly be there, I know that Raven is pretty good, Jerry Lynn is pretty good, Jeff Jarrett is bloody awful but is better than most indy guys.
By indy matches does that mean CZW? I saw the video posted on this website of guys doing the most retarded thing ever and beating each other with flourescent light tubes. Boy was I ever entertained by that:n:

Face it, the best go to the WWE. Obviously up and comers usually start in the indy circuits, that's what they're around for.

Fox
10-19-2005, 01:37 AM
In my opinion, TNA is the best thing in wrestling today. I enjoy watching it much more than RAW or Smackdown any day.

Impact!
10-19-2005, 02:30 AM
What does my (lack of) watching indy matches have to do with anything? The best in the business are in the WWE(period) Mind you, some could possibly be there, I know that Raven is pretty good, Jerry Lynn is pretty good, Jeff Jarrett is bloody awful but is better than most indy guys.
By indy matches does that mean CZW? I saw the video posted on this website of guys doing the most retarded thing ever and beating each other with flourescent light tubes. Boy was I ever entertained by that:n:

Face it, the best go to the WWE. Obviously up and comers usually start in the indy circuits, that's what they're around for.
Dude, I agree with your CZW statement. But if you ever say that JJ is better than most indy guys I'll....well I wont do anything, but still.

You seem like the type of guy (or girl) who thinks that Batista and John Cena are great wrestlers. (I'm not hating on them, I'm sayin they ain't no Angles, Benoit's or Danielson's)

Just because they're in WWE it doesn't mean they are great wrestlers *Cough Chris Masters Cough*. BTW Aj Style's was offered a WWE contract but turned it down.

Um, do I need to explain/say more?

Kane Knight
10-19-2005, 09:19 AM

I agree with your statement. Because of the following:

Indy wrestling is superior to the WWE, even though it is not one brand or consistent in quality. Even though there are literally hundreds or thousands of promotions around the US alone.
Based on that, if he had seen even one indy match in his life, no matter who was in it, he would have immediately awakened from his WWE-induced stupour and proclaimed it the best match ever (Insert exclamation points to your taste). Therefore, anyone who's watched an indy match and says the WWE has better talent is a liar.
Underground is always better than mainstream. I'm cool because I know about the underground, and if even one other person knows about this promotion, it's too trendy for me.I speak as someone who actually drove down to MA back in the day to see indy wrestling, and even though the promotions I saw were boring and lackluster, they were automatically better than the WWF because they didn't worry about silly things like charisma, showmanship or entertainment. Underground hardcore 4 lyf!

Kane Knight
10-19-2005, 09:25 AM
You seem like the type of guy (or girl) who thinks that Batista and John Cena are great wrestlers. (I'm not hating on them, I'm sayin they ain't no Angles, Benoit's or Danielson's)

Because technical wrestlers are and always have been what pro wrestling is about.

Vastardikai
10-19-2005, 12:22 PM
All I have to say on TNA (based on the one episode of Impact I saw), is that it has picqued (sp?) my interest.

*Petey Williams is an interesting performer, and his Canadian Destroyer is awesome.
*I wasn't much impressed by the little I've seen of AJ, but Christopher Daniels is an amazing athlete with alot of charisma.
*Monty Brown just looks dominating, they play to his strengths well.
*For some reason, upon seeing Abyss, I know what it would look like, if it were possible, if Kane and Mankind had a kid.
*Rhyno looks motivated again, and I've always been impressed by him. Sabu, well, he's Sabu.
*Sonjay Dutt I don't think much of, but Sharkboy is intruiging.
*I've heard great things about Samoa Joe. I hope he lives up to the hype.

Stickman
10-20-2005, 12:25 AM
Dude, I agree with your CZW statement. But if you ever say that JJ is better than most indy guys I'll....well I wont do anything, but still.

Just because they're in WWE it doesn't mean they are great wrestlers *Cough Chris Masters Cough*. BTW Aj Style's was offered a WWE contract but turned it down.

Um, do I need to explain/say more?

I never said Batista or Cena are great wrestlers. They're both quite mediocre. Batista is a believable champion, Cena needs more time to develop. Nobody ever said Hogan was a great wrestler.

Maybe this way of explaining my thoughts on the WWE being the best will make sense. Hulk Hogan was not a good wrestler, but all the good wrestlers went against him. WWE does not necessarily have the best entertainment, but almost all wrestlers want to be in the WWE because it's the big time. The best football players play in the NFL, not the CFL or NFL Europe. The best soccer players go play in Europe. Best Hockey players go to the NHL. Why do the best players go to all these leagues? Yes money, but also the fact they are the best leagues to go to. Same applies for wrestling.

loopydate
10-20-2005, 12:50 AM
But there's a problem with that logic. NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB, and soccer players all play for an organization within the league. The individual teams draft their own players, instead of having one all-powerful figure head say "You shall be in my league, and you shall not."

In pro wrestling, there is only Vince McMahon. He sits atop the world of wrestling and picks and chooses his guys. He prefers big men and established names. So, of course, he's going to push guys like Batista and Shawn Michaels.

By that same token, he won't sign someone like Christopher Daniels or AJ Styles, because they don't fit what he likes as far as an in-ring product goes. Yes, Daniels had a developmental deal with WWF for a while, but we saw what good that did for him, right? You might counter with "But WWE has a cruiserweight division!" But look who's in it.

Rey Mysterio - WCW alum
Juventud Guerrera - WCW
Psicosis - WCW
Super Crazy - ECW alum
Nunzio - ECW
Paul London - trained by Shawn Michaels
Brian Kendrick - ditto
Scotty 2 Hotty - has been with the company for a decade
Funaki - almost as long. Came in during one of Vince's open-minded phases

Unless Vince already knows who you are, you're not going to make it in his company as a high-flier. Simple as that.

A lot of these guys want to go to WWE, sure, but just because they're not in WWE doesn't make them inferior by default.

Kane Knight
10-20-2005, 01:19 AM
But in any sport, people will make bad choices. Draft the wrong guy. Trade the wrong guy (Babe Ruth ring a bell?). Extend the contract of a guy who's probably not worth the money anymore. It happens in baseball, basketbal, and football (US) frequently enough. It happens more in the WWE because they're not vying to be the top of the league, thus egos can be an issue.

loopydate
10-20-2005, 01:22 AM
Exactly. The NWA World Champion is in TNA because he burned his bridges with Vince. He was Vince's type of worker (unremarkable, with some charisma).

Vastardikai
10-20-2005, 11:58 AM
There's also the fact that I have said something about WCW that also, sadly, applies to TNA...

any promotion built around Jeff Jarrett DESERVES to fail.

The smart thing to do would be to build the promotion around the X Division and their best wrestlers (AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels, Samoa Joe if he actually lives up to the hype). Which they did on the one Impact I watched.

BigDaddyCool
10-20-2005, 12:06 PM
...they were automatically better than the WWF because they didn't worry about silly things like charisma, showmanship or entertainment. Underground hardcore 4 lyf!

Wait, so they were better than WWE because they didn't bother with the kinds of things that make wrestling watchable?

BTW, I hate indy wrestling, and being underground makes it uncool. I know wrestlers have to start somewhere, and there are a few diamonds in the rough, but for the most part indies suck. It is just like indy movies, sure there are a hand full of good writers and directors that can truely challenge Hollywood, but most indy movies are gay cowboys eating pudding or drunken sluts talking to crying clowns.

Also, that crap about AJ Fa</>ggot Styles turning down WWE, that is cool, he sucks anyways.

Gertner
10-20-2005, 12:08 PM
watching whateve the hell Petey Williams finisher is (The cnaaidna destroyer?) is enough for me

Kane Knight
10-20-2005, 12:35 PM
Wait, so they were better than WWE because they didn't bother with the kinds of things that make wrestling watchable?

Exactly! Because anyone who enjoys watching wrestling isn't a true fan!

BigDaddyCool
10-20-2005, 12:39 PM
Exactly! Because anyone who enjoys watching wrestling isn't a true fan!

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic anymore :?:

Hardkore Kidd J
10-20-2005, 02:44 PM
I actually think TNA is pretty watchable for me at least. The one match Daniels was in last week where he was supposed to face wrestlers that AJ chose and win in a certain amount of minutes. I forget how long the match was. And the funeral that they did for the Dudley'z was also pretty good.

Kane Knight
10-20-2005, 03:36 PM
Watchable doesn't really say much. There is quite a bit of watchable TV. Doesn't really make it good. It makes it okay.

TNA is watchable, which is more than I can say for the WWE. At any point I care about Steve Austin more than the rest of the roster past the Attitude era, there's a big fucking red flag.

Destor
10-20-2005, 04:49 PM
Well, TNA Impact is definitely watchable for and I will tell you why.

For me I realize that there could be no wrestling at all. And though I see many fault in TNA (and WWE just to be fair, because the mighty have definitely fallen) I realize that with out them I would be greatly pissed and deeply depressed. Not to mention completely lost. I schedule my week around RAW, SD!, and now Impact (which I watch on Monday's so its really no prob.) By using this logic I can sit though a marathon of HHH vs Hogan, circa 2002. (Anyone remember that match?) I may not like it, but crappy wrestling is better than no wrestling. Thus TNA is watchable. By my logic.

Kane Knight
10-20-2005, 04:54 PM
You schedule your weekend around wrestling? :?:

Kane Knight
10-20-2005, 04:54 PM
***week

Destor
10-20-2005, 05:10 PM
Monday and Thursday nights I refuse to leave the house, you see I have failed to discover the VCR.

Kane Knight
10-20-2005, 05:17 PM
Vee...See...Are?

Destor
10-20-2005, 05:43 PM
lol. Seriously though its sad how I have planned my week around wrestling since I broke my arm. Before I would go out with the boys, get drunk, get in fights, chase pussy, typical immature shit. Now that I cant really have any fun like that I am at home all the time. (and if any of you have noticed I'm on here all the time)

In my opinion anyone who wants to be the best pro-wrestler needs to study the best pro-wrestlers, and I do just that. So Monday's and Thursdays were still reserved then, but every other day I was out having a blast. Now I am at home 24/7. Wrestling is my only hight lite in my week. So at this particular juncture in time to imagine no wrestling makes me feel empty, as my life revolves around it. In a month the cast will be off and I will be back in the ring, so if you ask me then (though I probably wont be on here) I would more than likely tell you that Impact is definitely passable, since I would have better things to do with my time.

Basically do as you have been doing, take my opinions as a grain of salt.

PullMyFinger
10-20-2005, 06:33 PM
TNA is great. Whatever. I'm a fan now after seeing the last three weeks.