PDA

View Full Version : Gimmick matches! BAHGAWD GIMMICK MATCHES!

alvarado52
11-11-2005, 04:35 PM
Ok. So i was thinking today about the triple decker cage match WCW had. Now, the match itself more or less sucked....more so, but not because the gimmick, it sucked because they had Jeff J, DDP, and David Arquette in it! Anyway, it would be a spot-fest, but i imagine had you gotten the right people in there, it would have been entertaining. Maybe throw in some tables and chairs in the ring. Nobody would have done this (except maybe Kanyon) but id imagine a powerbomb off the 2nd stage, through the 1st stage ceiling, and onto a previously set up table (that a wrestler used to get to the 2nd stage) would be a mean spot. Anyway, post a gimmick match that you thought up or one that you think would be improved if they added something, and post the possible spots that would be major 'holyshit' moments. And be serious peeps, i dont want know 'Kane Knights mom and a hotdog stick match' :|

redoneja
11-11-2005, 04:58 PM
War Games.

Period.

Nark Order
11-11-2005, 05:01 PM
Scaffold matches never really got the publicity that they deserved.

Could you imagige Rey vs RVD in a Scaffold match?

loopydate
11-11-2005, 05:01 PM
*Grabs popcorn*

Can't wait until Sadistic shows up.

Just John
11-11-2005, 05:08 PM
I think the six sided cage has alot of potential, anyone got any pics of the triple decker cage? sounds pretty cool.

HeartBreakMan2k
11-11-2005, 05:23 PM
War Games and the Iron man match were the best gimmick matches.

Jaton
11-11-2005, 05:38 PM
OMG CZW!

Savio
11-11-2005, 06:09 PM
I thought The triple threat was alright.....I also liked the 10 man one they did on nitro.

Savio
11-11-2005, 06:10 PM
BTW was there another one?

GODSON
11-11-2005, 06:16 PM
JJ vs.DDP vs.Arquette match was actually a very good match. I guess fans remember it in a negative light because of David but if you go back and watch the match it was a total surprise.

Xero
11-11-2005, 07:10 PM
I say a smaller Hell in a Cell (Rage in a Cage) with escape rules would be a great idea.

Throw a ladder/rope ladder into a ring-sized Cell and have them fight to the top, where there's another cage bordering the bottom one, and the first one to the floor wins.

alvarado52
11-11-2005, 07:16 PM
no, the triple threat triple deck cage match was fine. Im just saying, the gimmick actually seemed pointless. The match they put on could have basically been done in a 'hardcore' match.

Mr. Nerfect
11-11-2005, 09:54 PM
I would like to see the return of a "Two Fall Match". The first pinfall or submission gets one win, and the second pinfall or submission gets another win. Make it for the WWE Championship and WWE Intercontinental Championship or something. Kurt Angle (supposing he wins at Survivor Series) vs. Ric Flair?

I'd also like to see a Hell in a Cell Match with something attached to the cell, on the inside, where the winner is the first person to negotiate the cell, and obtain whatever is attached (like the World Championship).

RemyRed
11-11-2005, 10:14 PM
OMG CZW!
OMG A TECHNICAL WRESTLING MASTERPIECE!!! :roll:

TerranRich
11-12-2005, 02:27 AM
The only reason I liked the triple-decker cage was because of the suspense that maybe, just maybe, one of them would fall off by accident (hopefully David Arquette :p ). I was always nervous about whether someone would fall off the first/second cage ceilings. Not like Kanyon's spot, which was just that: a spot. But like a total botch, where David Arquette would be selling a punch and then...wobbbly wibbbly, whoosh! Splat.

Sadistic
11-12-2005, 10:08 AM
If you want to see a holy shit spot just watch pyramid of hell matches.

Cool King
11-12-2005, 10:21 AM
OMG CZW!

OMFG!!!!

I just love the wrestling these guys put on!!!!!!!!!!

Watch this clip of the greatest thing EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!* (Warning: Lot's of blood and I think I seen a bit of muscle.:wtf: )

CZW Clip (http://www.ownagevideos.com/page.php?id=513&a=dl)

:roll: CZW-Combat Zone Wrestling. WHERE'S THE WRESTLING!?

* Incase you couldn't tell, I was being <s>Sadistic</s> sarcastic.:p [/Homer]

Sadistic
11-12-2005, 10:23 AM
:roll: CZW-Combat Zone Wrestling. WHERE'S THE WRESTLING!?

In the first 2 hours of the 3 hour show.

Kane Knight
11-12-2005, 10:52 AM
In the first 30 minutes of the 3 hour show.

Shaved Monkey
11-12-2005, 03:32 PM
I just watched that CZW thing and I have to say that that was the first CZW I've ever seen.

Now, watching that clip brings a question to mind, and I mean this as an honest question.

Why would one person allow another person to slice them open with scissors? :?:

I can't seem to grasp this.

loopydate
11-12-2005, 04:05 PM
Because they couldn't cut it as real wrestlers.

Kane Knight
11-12-2005, 04:11 PM
Cut it? I get it!

The One
11-12-2005, 04:13 PM
few questions to get out of the way here...

YES, there was another time WCW used the Triple Cage, it was an escape match if I remember correctly, pardon me but this was the part of my life were I was very high all the time, but I think Bill Goldberg was involved. It was on either a Nitro or Thunder. A shinny new nickle to anyone who know what I am talking about.

The Triple Cage match from Slamboree...actually not that bad. David Arquette did the right thing by doing nothing, and Page and Jarrett actually did decent. The mess at the end with Kanyon and Awesome wasn't very well done, but hey, they tried didn't they.

Sadly, that match overshadows the 5 star classic in which we saw Ralphus going for the Hardcore Title against Smiley and Funk (Terry won). [my sarcastic humor better be coming through with that last sentence]

CZW is shit. No, I don't want to say that, because Shit might get offended. Somewhere there is a 15 year old who got into daddy's liquor, and is using his 5 year old brother as a human punching bag to show off how cool he is...CZW must sit in shame of his performence.

Now usually I don't like gimmick matches. Or if there is a gimmick I like simple classic ones (Old Cage matches, Iron Man, Best of 3) but I must admit the blood thirst side of me has always wanted to see a match TLC-HiaC match. Just have the cage filled with Tables, Ladders, and Chairs...winning is the first one to get the belt (contract, breifcase, etc.) hanging from the top of the cage.

Nervous Ferret
11-12-2005, 04:18 PM
LOL that CZW thing

St. Jimmy
11-12-2005, 04:36 PM
well, that was mildly disgusting.

Kane Knight
11-12-2005, 04:40 PM
CZW is shit. No, I don't want to say that, because Shit might get offended. Somewhere there is a 15 year old who got into daddy's liquor, and is using his 5 year old brother as a human punching bag to show off how cool he is...CZW must sit in shame of his performence.

:love:

Pegasus Crawford
11-12-2005, 07:53 PM
few questions to get out of the way here...

YES, there was another time WCW used the Triple Cage, it was an escape match if I remember correctly, pardon me but this was the part of my life were I was very high all the time, but I think Bill Goldberg was involved. It was on either a Nitro or Thunder. A shinny new nickle to anyone who know what I am talking about.

I think it was a "War Games 2000" match on a Nitro (I believe it was in September of 2000) for the WCW Heavyweight title. Anyway, there were a bunch of qualifying matches earlier in the night and all the winners of their respective matches would go into the main event. Anyway, the belt would be in the top-most cage and the winner of the match would be the one who escapes the cage with the belt. There were like 10 participants.

It was Kevin Nash who retained the title. Bill Goldberg was about to walk out of the cage with the belt, but Bret Hart slammed the door into Goldberg's face. Russo picked up the belt, and handed to Nash. Nash and Russo embrace, Nash walks out of the cage, retaining the title. :|

Now give me mah nickel! :D

On another note: Triple Decker Cage Match = Promising premise, just suffers from poor booking/execution. I remember when they first announced it as the main event for Slamboree, I was like "holy shit! hell yeah!" When I saw the match, I was like... "wtf is this shit..."

Executioner
11-13-2005, 01:37 AM
Scaffold matches never really got the publicity that they deserved.

Could you imagige Rey vs RVD in a Scaffold match?

A scaffold match like in the 1980s NWA, two teams on top, knock both off to win..... would be great to see in the WWE.

unlike the 1991 scaffold match where the rules were capture the flag......worst scaffold match ive seen.

Sadistic
11-13-2005, 06:57 AM
Because they couldn't cut it as real wrestlers.
You know over half the TNA roster has been in CZW as well as some WWE stars.

Xero
11-13-2005, 08:27 AM
And look at the TNA spot fests... And who in WWE has been in CZW? They're probably shit...

Kane Knight
11-13-2005, 10:15 AM

Yes, and you know how little a difference that makes.

First off, TNA's weak. I know you want to believe it dominates, but you seem a fan of shitty spotfests.

The WWE? Different venue, baby.

loopydate
11-13-2005, 11:29 AM

This is true, but when did Chris Sabin ever get stabbed in the face with a pair of scissors? The question was "Why would one person allow another person to slice them open with scissors?" Because that person couldn't cut it as a wrestler. I'm aware that there is technical wrestling in CZW (only because you remind us in every thread), but that was hardly the question, was it?

Kane Knight
11-13-2005, 11:52 AM
This is true, but when did Chris Sabin ever get stabbed in the face with a pair of scissors? The question was "Why would one person allow another person to slice them open with scissors?" Because that person couldn't cut it as a wrestler. I'm aware that there is technical wrestling in CZW (only because you remind us in every thread), but that was hardly the question, was it?

No, but Sadistic is desperately trying to justify himself and his little desire to see wrestlers kill one another.

It doesn't matter if a legit question was asked, because the pissant little vulture is trying to justify CZW as a whole because some of the shit is legit wrestling with legit contenders.

Because a guy going from CZW to the WWE justifies stabbing someone with scissors in his rotted little brain.

Sadistic
11-14-2005, 07:10 AM
I believe that CZW offers something for everyone. Yes, I like to watch the odd deathmatch but I don't consider it wrestling. When I'm in the mood to watch a wrestling match I'm not going to watch Nick Mondo vs. Zandig, I'll watch that when I'm in the mood to see something brutal totally outside of wrestling.
Then when I want to watch some good wrestling I'll watch a CZW juniour heavyweight match.

And in the response to what WWE wrestlers have been in CZW, the answer is Super Crazy, Tajiri and CM Punk.

Dave Youell
11-14-2005, 08:30 AM
CZW - The death matches are fucking rubbish

The Juniors div (no not midgets) are actually alright when there's no light tubes involved BUT it's nothing new that you can't already see in ROH or TNA

Sadistic
11-14-2005, 08:59 AM
CZW - The death matches are fucking rubbish

Then in your opinion tell me what makes a deathmatch good.

The Juniors div (no not midgets) are actually alright when there's no light tubes involved BUT it's nothing new that you can't already see in ROH or TNA
That's a fair statement. The CZW division is very similar to ROH and TNA, I guess I just like watching the CZW junior heavyweights because I've been watching CZW longer than ROH and TNA.

Kane Knight
11-14-2005, 10:46 AM
I believe that CZW offers something for everyone.

Especially if you get a hard on for death.

And in the response to what WWE wrestlers have been in CZW, the answer is Super Crazy, Tajiri and CM Punk.

Again, that is a moot point. How many of them are used in the same way?

Xero
11-14-2005, 10:51 AM
Then in your opinion tell me what makes a deathmatch good.
Not doing one.

Sadistic
11-14-2005, 11:05 AM
Not doing one.
Even if it has great ring psychology? Even if the match tells a story? Even if there were loads of back and forth action and near falls and the fans were at the edge of their seat?

Just because it's a "deathmatch" doesn't mean brawl brawl SPOT brawl SPOT brawl brawl SICK SPOT pin.

Kane Knight
11-14-2005, 11:08 AM
Even if it has great ring psychology? Even if the match tells a story? Even if there were loads of back and forth action and near falls and the fans were at the edge of their seat?

Yup.

Xero
11-14-2005, 11:08 AM

Just because it's a "deathmatch" doesn't mean brawl brawl SPOT brawl SPOT brawl brawl SICK SPOT pin.
"Psychology" and "Deathmatch" shouldn't be in the same sentence together. All deathmatches are clusterfucks.

Sadistic
11-14-2005, 11:11 AM
"Psychology" and "Deathmatch" shouldn't be in the same sentence together. All deathmatches are clusterfucks.
Yeah, judge all deathmatches on the 20 second clip you've seen. :y:

Kane Knight
11-14-2005, 11:19 AM

Yeah, assume that only people who get hardons from them have actually watched any.

Xero
11-14-2005, 11:21 AM
3 or 4 'matches', buddy. Including Funk/Foley, which is a clusterfuck and stupid as hell.

Kane Knight
11-14-2005, 11:30 AM
3 or 4 'matches', buddy. Including Funk/Foley, which is a clusterfuck and stupid as hell.

Yeah, shows what you know. You think 20 seconds makes you an expert.

Sadistic
11-14-2005, 11:34 AM
How would you feel if someone saw 4 John Cena matches and judged every WWE match?

Kane Knight
11-14-2005, 11:38 AM
How would you feel if someone saw 4 John Cena matches and judged every WWE match?

That was funny. Except we're discussed DEATHMATCHES, not every CZW match here. :)

Xero
11-14-2005, 11:39 AM
That's an entirely different situation. I've seen death matches with DIFFERENT people. Now, if you had said "how would you feel if someone saw 4 submission/cage/etc matches and judged every WWE match", your question would be valid.

Kane Knight
11-14-2005, 11:40 AM
By the way, isn't this funny?

Yes, I like to watch the odd deathmatch but I don't consider it wrestling. When I'm in the mood to watch a wrestling match I'm not going to watch Nick Mondo vs. Zandig, I'll watch that when I'm in the mood to see something brutal totally outside of wrestling.

The guy defends it when we call it "garbage wrestling" and saying that wrestling shouldn't include this, but he says this about them?

alvarado52
11-14-2005, 11:45 AM
All i know is, i cannot see how ANYONE would agree to a deathmatch. Especially if they ask you to get sliced open like that. And somehow i dont think CZW really has that good a medical benefit. Honestly, i agree with Xero and KK, the only reason i feel anyone would be in a deathmatch is because they really cant get over with real wrestling, so its like 'hey, maybe if i take these insane bumps and mutilate myself, they'll consider me a WRESTLING...GOD!'. Well, to you my good friend, i will say this.....BANANNA SANDWICH! Im sure my thumb is 10x more a wrestler than any of those CZW deathmatch guys. Oh, and im sure me and my friends thumb wrestling wars have more techincal spots in it than you can shake your floresent light tube at.

Sadistic
11-14-2005, 11:47 AM
The guy defends it when we call it "garbage wrestling" and saying that wrestling shouldn't include this, but he says this about them?
Seeing as you've been looking for attention the whole thread as I haven't actually asked you anything but you keep intending on replying, I will finally reply to something you said.

Deathmatches have elements of wrestling but I wouldn't consider them "wrestling matches". When I WANT to see wrestling I don't watch a deathmatch.
However deathmatches can tell a story just as well as a wrestling match. It's hard to compare. Deathmatches offer something different but when they are done well I think they can be very appealing to the wrestling fan.

Sadistic
11-14-2005, 11:49 AM
'hey, maybe if i take these insane bumps and mutilate myself, they'll consider me a WRESTLING...GOD!'.

What about Foley? "FOLEY IS GOD"

Kane Knight
11-14-2005, 11:53 AM
Seeing as you've been looking for attention the whole thread as I haven't actually asked you anything but you keep intending on replying, I will finally reply to something you said.

I'm sorry, when did this become a forum where we only reply if Sadistic asks us a question? :roll:

Deathmatches have elements of wrestling but I wouldn't consider them "wrestling matches". When I WANT to see wrestling I don't watch a deathmatch.

And yet, when this behaviour was called "Garbage wrestling," You defended it as legit and so on. So now you're contradicting yourself.

However deathmatches can tell a story just as well as a wrestling match. It's hard to compare. Deathmatches offer something different but when they are done well I think they can be very appealing to the wrestling fan.

Snuff flicks offer something different but when they are done I think they can be very appealing ...

:lol: Same deal.

If they're telling a good story, they don't need to be in a deathmatch, so that justification is totally shit.

But thanks for trying.

alvarado52
11-14-2005, 11:59 AM
aw, snap. Oh and your right Sadistic...but Foley is exempt!

Kane Knight
11-14-2005, 12:02 PM
'hey, maybe if i take these insane bumps and mutilate myself, they'll consider me a WRESTLING...GOD!'.

What about Foley? "FOLEY IS GOD"

And "Foley is God" started long after the exploding barbed wire and deathmatches.

I'm sensing a pattern here. Maybe you don't need to lose an ear to become one of the most over wrestlers in pop culture.