PDA

View Full Version : Wins and losses...

Kane Knight
11-21-2005, 10:24 PM
'K. Here's the deal. A lot of people put stock in winning and losing. I don't get it. I don't care how many weeks a superstar jobs in a row, long as the maatches are good. I dig the likes of Helms and Benjamin even when they're losing, because they give it their all. Now, there's a point at which the "magic" is drained out of a match, but it's usually the point at which the wrestlers themselves have become boring.

Now, I'm no fan of people sitting on top, and in fact I think winning streaks are more boring than losing streaks. I'm not saying it doesn't completely matter. I just think too much emphasis is put upon the concept of winning. But honestly, if someone entertains me, I don't really care if he jobs out the entire lockerroom on a weekly basis.

Now, I know it's supposed to look bad from "casual" eyes, but I don't get why. The winning or losing is usually secondary to the story, the reason behind the win. An emotional win is awesome, but what about a heartbreaking loss?

The one problem I have with the WWE is that they seem to forgo drama and just go for ad hoc results. Much like a certain thread about the main event scene, I feel the shows fly on a wing and a prayer. Victories are expected, losses are pointless, and there's no real sense of drama or suspense. I'm not watching wrestling to be surprised, I'm watching it to be entertained. If I wanted something unpredictable, I'd turn channels when wrestling came on.

How much does a loss mean to you?

McLegend
11-21-2005, 10:32 PM
Has a fan of wrestling I really don't care about who wins and loses, but when I think about it has a Smark and the long term affects it could have on the chacter then it bothers me. Which really pisses me off btw

Funky Fly
11-22-2005, 12:38 AM
I don't remember the last time Shelton won a match on Raw.

Also, George "The Animal" Steele lost waaaay more matches than he won, but he was fairly over.

Kane Knight
11-22-2005, 12:59 AM
Shelton won a match? :?:

He's still awesome, even if ther ain't no pushing him NOOOOOOOO!

Funky Fly
11-22-2005, 01:04 AM
Yeah. It's not like jobbing to Angle is the same as jobbing to Masters.

Kane Knight
11-22-2005, 01:29 AM
Yeah. It's not like jobbing to Angle is the same as jobbing to Masters.

SHHH! They'll hear you!

hb2k
11-22-2005, 09:51 AM
The fact is, fans get behind winners. That's one of the reasons Batista's turn worked so damn well, the whole time HHH was playing him, he was one step ahead. They won't get behind people who lose. I don't mean everyone needs to be Bill Goldberg to get over, because a great match with a loss can do more than a win in some cases (like when Shelton lost to Shawn, the match was so competitive and good that it made Shelton look like he belonged), but when people lose in bad curcumstances, or in a meaningless manner (like Hardy losing to Conway, and Shelton losing to Masters), it hurts the faces momentum, and stops the crowd from believing in him.

Kane Knight
11-22-2005, 09:59 AM
The fans were behind Batista because they put more than ive minutes of thouught into it. They were POPPING HIM before his "turn."

hb2k
11-22-2005, 11:00 AM
He wasn't getting an overwhelming ton of support by any means until they did the Survivor Series angle where Batista looked at the belt for the first time. He had some cheers here or there, but nothing really major. They could easily have dropped the ball on the turn (see Orton), but they did it right, and Batista got over huge because of it.

Kane Knight
11-22-2005, 11:02 AM
Here or there? There were threads before that talking about how they must be turning him face based on the fan reaction.

hb2k
11-22-2005, 11:10 AM
It wasn't like with Rock for crying out loud, where they were going nuts for his every move. Sometimes they'd cheer, sometimes they'd boo, sometimes they'd do nothing.

Londoner
11-22-2005, 03:45 PM
I've been thinking about this aswell KK, and its one thing i hate about smarks.Smarks seem to think winning/losing is everything, yet wrestlers always say 'its NOT about winning or losing matches', which I agree with. It's about how entertaining the match is.People who want to argue that a wrestler going on a winning streak is what can get them over, well ok it may work eevry now and then but not all the time. Shelton went on a winning streak and it got really boring,because there was nothing going on with him. The same is happening with Lashley now, except finally they're putting him into a storyline, whether its the right one or not at this point in time, i'm not sure.But atleas they're making me care about him, same goes for Kennedy.I hate these new wrestlers who just come in and win against jobbers.That to me is lazy booking.

So overall it depends on 1)How entertaining the match is, and 2)How important the match is to a wrestler.

The Gooch
11-22-2005, 03:51 PM
Winning and Losing isn't all that important unless it comes at a critical time.

Booker T losing to Hunter at WM killed his push.

DDP losing in a squash to Taker and subsequently to his Wife was brutal on his WWE career.