PDA

View Full Version : SNME is Returning to NBC

Xero
12-01-2005, 01:43 PM
Saturday Night’s Main Event is returning to NBC this March after a 13-year hiatus. In the mid-1980s through early 1990s, WWE fans would scour the television listings each month — making sure they didn’t miss the highly anticipated special that replaced network staple Saturday Night Live on occasion. When Jon Lovitz, Dennis Miller and Dana Carvey weren’t performing comedy sketches, WWE Superstars were squaring off in matches that often took on a pay-per-view feel.

Here are some of the most memorable moments from the original run of Saturday Night’s Main Event:

On Nov. 2, 1985, Hulk Hogan & Andre the Giant defeated King Kong Bundy & Big John Studd by disqualification in a match remembered for the size and stature of its participants.

On March 1, 1986, Hulk Hogan retained the WWE Championship against "Magnificent" Don Muraco via disqualification. But this match was infamous for King Kong Bundy’s interference and assault. In the end, Muraco and Bundy broke Hogan’s ribs.

On May 3, 1986, the British Bulldogs beat Iron Shiek & Nikolai Volkoff in a best two-of-three falls match for the World Tag Team Championship. This was indicative of the strength of the tag team division, which was often spotlighted on Saturday Night’s Main Event in multiple-fall battles.

On Jan. 3, 1987, Hulk Hogan battled “Mr. Wonderful” Paul Orndorff in a truly memorable Steel Cage Match for the WWE Championship. Both men scaled the cage and hit the floor simultaneously, causing immense controversy and the restart of the match.

On Oct. 3, 1987, Honky Tonk Man nearly did the unthinkable: strike Elizabeth with his signature guitar during a match against Randy “Macho Man” Savage. Honky was aiming for the head of Savage, but a loving Elizabeth jumped in the way. Ultimately, Honky shoved Elizabeth to the floor and proceeded to smash Savage. Elizabeth rushed to the back and emerged with none other than Hulk Hogan. It was the beginning of the force known as the MegaPowers.
Sounds like it might be monthly as well.

Joey Slugs
12-01-2005, 01:48 PM
it only works if they bring back the old school graphics and music.

Cool King
12-01-2005, 01:50 PM
I just finished reading it on WWE.COM and I was about to post it here.

Sounds pretty cool.

They will probably have a snappy new look for it.

Joey Slugs
12-01-2005, 02:01 PM
they HAVE to have the red, white, & blue ropes.

Indifferent Clox
12-01-2005, 02:03 PM
i just smarked out

Cool King
12-01-2005, 02:20 PM
This is for the guys who live in the U.K.

Well I have a funny feeling that since SKY are the only people that can show WWE, I think since it's a Saturday show, SKY will show it on Sky One.:-\

That's kinda good I guess.

Xero
12-01-2005, 02:21 PM
Could be replayed for you guys though.

DaVe
12-01-2005, 02:50 PM
Holy crap, this sounds excellent.

Blue Demon
12-01-2005, 03:29 PM
I tihnk this could be kinda interesting...I might try to go out of my way to watch it depending on what's going on.

RemyRed
12-01-2005, 03:33 PM
:'(

Corkscrewed
12-01-2005, 03:42 PM
Wow, so that's where the Cruisers are going! :love: :y:

Nervous Ferret
12-01-2005, 03:43 PM
haha Corky, you are so fickle

BigChris
12-01-2005, 04:10 PM
I was just think this last night and now it has come true, I might cry alittle I am so happy?

Loose Cannon
12-01-2005, 05:08 PM
classic show, same old bullshit they've been airing. don't really care. They should just replay all the old SNME's.

Disturbed316
12-01-2005, 05:20 PM
^ Yes

Savio
12-01-2005, 05:37 PM
They should play CZW

BobBitchen
12-01-2005, 06:14 PM
I just came all over my self:D :D :D :naughty: :wave: :shifty: :wtf: :eek:

weather vane
12-01-2005, 06:31 PM
I'm right pumped! I hope it gives a boost to the WWE.

mrslackalack
12-01-2005, 09:03 PM
A great boost for WWE. It would me great to have interpromtional matches on the show.

mrslackalack
12-01-2005, 09:04 PM
I wonder if Ventura would commentate?

Joey Slugs
12-01-2005, 09:19 PM
It only works if it's a completly seperate "interpromtional" show. I just don't know if this current roster of talent can have the same draw as the SNME of old.

Cool King
12-01-2005, 09:29 PM
Yeah I have a funny feeling it'll be interpromtional.

I think the WWE realized that everyone likes the interpromtional matches, so they brought back SNME just for that.

Destor
12-01-2005, 09:32 PM
TNA is in trouble.

Joey Slugs
12-01-2005, 09:36 PM
TNA is in trouble.

They have til March to move days.

Danny Electric
12-01-2005, 10:16 PM
I will only watch it if they get in random jobbers for guys like The Killer Bees and that 'Outback' guy.
Finishing off with a main event with Danny Davies refereeing.

The Naitch
12-01-2005, 10:22 PM
me thinks someone will drop the ball on this one too

Mr. Nerfect
12-01-2005, 11:33 PM
I think this could be really good. Make it interpromotional, have a seperate commentary team (Paul Heyman/Jim Ross), and use it to elevate Championships and actually make it seem like it means something.

For example, the Best of Seven Series between Booker T and Chris Benoit. Something like that could be really fresh on a show like SNME. John Cena vs. Kurt Angle could be done again on a show like that.

Have RAW and SmackDown! be for the storylines heading into PPVs, and have SNME be used as an escape. Good PPV quality matches, without too much of a story needed to understand them. Triple H vs. Big Show, Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels, a Ladder Match between cruiserweights for the title and an occasional interpromotional match (Triple H vs. Chris Benoit?).

Pepsi Man
12-01-2005, 11:59 PM
I think this could be really good. Make it interpromotional, have a seperate commentary team (Paul Heyman/Jim Ross), and use it to elevate Championships and actually make it seem like it means something.

For example, the Best of Seven Series between Booker T and Chris Benoit. Something like that could be really fresh on a show like SNME. John Cena vs. Kurt Angle could be done again on a show like that.

Have RAW and SmackDown! be for the storylines heading into PPVs, and have SNME be used as an escape. Good PPV quality matches, without too much of a story needed to understand them. Triple H vs. Big Show, Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels, a Ladder Match between cruiserweights for the title and an occasional interpromotional match (Triple H vs. Chris Benoit?).
I'm confused. Why couldn't they put a few of these on Raw/SmackDown! here or there?

Joey Slugs
12-02-2005, 12:11 AM
I will only watch it if they get in random jobbers for guys like The Killer Bees and that 'Outback' guy.
Finishing off with a main event with Danny Davies refereeing.

Amen.

Shawn Mega
12-02-2005, 10:19 AM
Hmmmmmmmm this is really OLD news. They will only have 2 shows all of next year so it will not be monthly.

Optimistic T
12-03-2005, 03:39 AM
They should make it a legends show. That would be GOLD.