PDA

View Full Version : A TPWW New Year's Resolution

loopydate
12-03-2005, 12:30 AM
Dear Wrestling Forum Posters,

I did a vanity search tonight out of sheer boredom and came across some of the "Caption of the Month" threads. Reading through some of those classic threads brought back to me why I joined TPWW in the first place. Back in late 2003, I was sent to TPWW through a Google search.

One of the front-page features was the weekly Captions thread. I read through the set and laughed out loud at what Corkscrewed, Nowhere Man, Loose Cannon, and others had put together and took a shot at it myself. I got a positive reaction and haven't left (so now you know who to blame).

It seems to me that I enjoyed watching RAW and SmackDown more each week when I kept in the back of my mind the prospects for hilarity that I would read the next morning. Invariably, I was not disappointed.

Which leads me to my New Year's resolution (four weeks early).

I hereby resolve to bring back the Caption Contest in 2006.

But, here's where I need some help. I'm reaching out to my good friends Corky and Gone Mad and all the rest who helped put together the old caption threads. I'll get the ball rolling with the January 2nd edition of RAW captions, and I hope you all will help me with subsequent shows.

At the end of the month, I/we'll take the best captions from the weekly shows on the basis of personal taste, as well as those captions that seemed to get the best response in-thread. The pictures will be saved to ImageShack, so we won't get hit with another dilemma like what happened with the 2004 contest.

Now, granted, this isn't the first time that someone has pledged to bring back the caption contest, but I am seriously going to put a ton of effort into it (as if that weren't already evident from the length of this post) and would love to see you all do the same.

Sincerely,
Pat "loopydate" Dooley

<HR>

So... I guess use this thread to comment on the idea itself or reminisce about your favorite captions and running gags from the past.

Joey Slugs
12-03-2005, 12:36 AM
Let's get it going (as long as that RoadWarrior dude stays away).

Skippord
12-03-2005, 01:00 AM
My resolution is to not rape people anymore... in the month of January

Destor
12-03-2005, 01:14 AM
Let's get it going (as long as that RoadWarrior dude stays away).

Drakul
12-03-2005, 01:15 AM
yeah I'm for it but that Roadwarrior guy or Cool King might whine.

Kane Knight
12-03-2005, 01:24 AM
I hereby Resolve to resurrect the "illegal immigrant" title in the name of Eddie Guerrero!

Corkscrewed
12-03-2005, 02:59 AM
Problem is that Captioning died down as C-Fedding picked up. :p

But sure, I'd do it. If you pledge to take care of everything, I'm all behind you. You know I'll post the captions that make me laugh, and if you need help judging your own, I'll quote the ones I think are noteworthy.

But you gotta host them on Imageshack yourself :p

Destor
12-03-2005, 03:01 AM
C-Fedding killed the captioning star.

Funky Fly
12-03-2005, 03:11 AM
Dale Pootey, I will do my best to make funny captions.

Cool King
12-03-2005, 04:00 AM
yeah I'm for it but that Roadwarrior guy or Cool King might whine.

I'm not going to whine.

BUT!

I was gonna bring back the Caption Contest at the start of the New Year.:'( Because New Year = New Start.

Destor
12-03-2005, 04:13 AM
You're whining CK.

Cool King
12-03-2005, 04:25 AM
No, whining would be like this.

What! But I was gonna do that! That's not fair, I was gonna do something then someone steals it from me! Funky Fly, can you ban LPD, because he stole the Caption Contest from me!

That's whining.

Cooler Tom Schuler
12-03-2005, 04:57 AM
Although I'd visited tpww.net since '98, I never looked at the boards until 2004. I came to the message boards because FourFifty was talking to me at Denny's one night and he wouldn't shut up about the captions, so I checked, and some of them greatly amused me.

Corkscrewed
12-03-2005, 05:26 AM
And then you joined in and you weren't half bad either.

Tornado
12-03-2005, 06:52 AM
If you can get Lammy back on board for the captions, that would be amazing.

Chavo Classic
12-03-2005, 07:30 AM
I'm in.

Tornado
12-03-2005, 07:32 AM
So... I guess use this thread to comment on the idea itself or reminisce about your favorite captions and running gags from the past.

Steven Richards is Invisble
Rhyno and Glue
X-Pacs sucking power
Theres a spider on the mat
etc

King Jericho
12-03-2005, 07:35 AM
I don't know why I never really got into doing the captions, think I could do a pretty good job at it.

Sooooo many lmao moments from the captions threads I've read since being here. (3 fucking years now).

Chavo Classic
12-03-2005, 07:50 AM
Personal favourites include

O'Haire and the cage
and JBL's infamous heel moment of torching Oscar the Grouch. :rofl:

Xero
12-03-2005, 08:00 AM
WOOOO! :D

Impact!
12-03-2005, 09:08 AM
If you need any help I can probably do something. It'll be good if we can bring back the caption contests of old, that (like alot of you it seems) was the reason I first joined up at tpww.

*Cheap pop*

:shifty:

PorkSoda
12-03-2005, 09:18 AM
OH YEAH!!!

JH
12-03-2005, 09:56 AM
i did'nt steal the captions from anybody...i started doing them when nobody else was doing them

i'm still gonna post captions when you start them back up i just dont have the time anymore to post all the pictures for the captions thats why i have'nt been doing it

Kane Knight
12-03-2005, 10:32 AM
If you can get Lammy back on board for the captions, that would be amazing.

I'm not sure that'll happen.

If you thought his reaction was bad when Taker was "decapitated," imgine his reaction to more recent events...

loopydate
12-03-2005, 01:01 PM
To clarify, I'm not trying to take the caption contest away from anyone. And, honestly, the more people that help the better. If I'm not online early enough to be the first to post the caption threads, then they're fair game as far as I'm concerned. Just as long as someone is keeping track of them this year so we don't wind up with another late-2004 debacle, I'll be happy.

Lock Jaw
12-03-2005, 01:05 PM
My resolution is to not rape people anymore... in the month of January

It's not rape! It's surprise sex!