PDA

View Full Version : Who is the future of wrestling?

BigDaddyCool
12-05-2005, 07:01 PM
Who do you really think will be the next big star and why?

BTW, I can tell you right now it ain't CM Punk or AJ Styles.

Xero
12-05-2005, 07:06 PM
Orton. For the most part he stays over. Cena would have been a solid guess a few months ago, but with how things have gone, unless they drastically alter his gimmick, he won't be.

BigDaddyCool
12-05-2005, 07:09 PM
I disagree, Orton won't be the future of wrestling. He will burn out before he can really come into his own.

I'm talking more about then future as in someone on par with the hogans, flair, rocks, and austins.

DaVe
12-05-2005, 07:11 PM
If you rule out Orton you might as well stop the discussion in this thread - who else looks to become bigger?

Xero
12-05-2005, 07:11 PM
I still say Orton if they can give him a kick.

If not, then by your criteria either Cena, as much as people will hate it, or someone who hasn't debuted yet.

Joey Slugs
12-05-2005, 07:12 PM
I'm talking more about then future as in someone on par with the hogans, flair, rocks, and austins.

If that's the criteria, then I say ATM, no one.

BigDaddyCool
12-05-2005, 07:15 PM
You guys are thinking to narrowly. It almost never is someone that is made into a star, it is someone who makes themselve into a star. Orton and Cena were made into what they are.

BigDaddyCool
12-05-2005, 07:15 PM
BTW, I think it is probably going to be Shelton once he finds his niche.

Savio
12-05-2005, 07:17 PM
Seriously all of there new stars are/will be better as heels Cena, Orton, Carlito, Kennedy and (If he comes back) Hassan......Masters might be able to go face.

Tornado
12-05-2005, 07:18 PM
Shelton, Orton, Kennedy, Cena, Punk, Styles, Daniels.

Savio
12-05-2005, 07:18 PM
Shelton doesn't know how to talk.

DaVe
12-05-2005, 07:20 PM
(well on the microphone)

Xero
12-05-2005, 07:21 PM
Carlito is a strong possibility (by your criteria). I see him as a young Rock. He currently has a go-no where gimmick, but he could be huge.

BigDaddyCool
12-05-2005, 07:22 PM
Shelton can learn.

Either that or some guy out in the indies. That is what I was really thinking. And I wasn't expecting this guy to hit it big for a few years. And no, I don't have anyone in mind, I was just wondering if anyone looks good out there.

Kane Knight
12-05-2005, 07:23 PM
Shelton doesn't know how to talk.

HE can learn to talk on a mic. He's got that sort of "I don't need to talk" Taker Charisma to boot, a natural advantage.

Kane Knight
12-05-2005, 07:24 PM
My answer, however, is nobody.

Given BDC's criteria, and the waythey handle their talent, there is no way for someone to advance themselves.

BigDaddyCool
12-05-2005, 07:25 PM
HE can learn to talk on a mic. He's got that sort of "I don't need to talk" Taker Charisma to boot, a natural advantage.

That too. He has great psychology in a match. He could be a ric flair.

Blitz
12-05-2005, 07:30 PM

You can't make a guess like that. Remember, when Rock and Austin got into WWE they had terrible gimmicks. It all depends on who the crowd decides to latch on to.

That said, I honestly think CM Punk could have a big career. He's got the in ring skills (I think he could adapt to "WWE Style" and still be fun to watch), and he's got great charisma.

Blitz
12-05-2005, 07:34 PM
In terms of guys who are already up, the usual suspects: Carlito, Shelton, Orton.

BlackDawn2024
12-05-2005, 07:40 PM
:shifty:

AJ Styles.

Dorkchop
12-05-2005, 08:03 PM
I always thought Christian could have maybe led the company. He just seemed to have everything they need in a mega star. Everyone loved him. He wrestled his way into being one of the best, unlike some guys who are given everything. But we'll never know now if he could have.

I think if Edge never hurt his neck and just stayed the awesome face he was, he had a chance. He was so friggin entertaining.

The next big star will just happen. It won't be a guy the WWE push to the moon and shove down our throats.

It probably won't even be anyone curently in the WWE. The only guy there I could think of, could be Shelton. Just because he's not main eventing everything, doesn't mean he has no chance. Right now, he's just wrestling. No storylines, no promos.

Shawn Mega
12-05-2005, 08:04 PM
My boy Joe is getting popular by the day.

Christian if TNA is smart enough to push him.

Ken Kennedy even though I don't like that John Heindereich look alike.

V
12-05-2005, 08:25 PM
I honestly think bob orton is holding orton down, i can't stand his father and because of that i don't want to see orton either, he should RKO his dad already, after that he could be the next great, even though you hate him BDC :p

Cena can be good if they didn't make him gay, you'd think he'd be less censored on Raw, but he is still a damn good guy and he LOVES his fans

i know those two are going to be the future of the WWE, but whether they can be called the next hogan/flair rock/austin is doubtful

BigDaddyCool
12-05-2005, 08:27 PM
I honestly think bob orton is holding orton down, i can't stand his father and because of that i don't want to see orton either, he should RKO his dad already

Just like booker T should break his wife's neck...

No, Orton should rko his dad, then Booker T's wife. Bam, instant fued.

punt
12-05-2005, 08:28 PM
Tajiri, baby, Tajiri!

Mr. Nerfect
12-05-2005, 09:17 PM
1. Shelton Benjamin
2. Ken Kennedy
3. Doug Basham (I'm serious)
4. Paul London
5. Brian Kendrick
6. Carlito

There are others, but I can really see these guys being top guys in the future.

Mr. Nerfect
12-05-2005, 09:18 PM
Chris Masters, as well. Everyone gives him a hard time, but he's learning REALLY well, and the WWE is very high on him. He's not the "Next Big Thing", but he's good enough to the point where he will win several World Titles, IMO.

Marcyo
12-05-2005, 09:24 PM
Chris Masters, as well. Everyone gives him a hard time, but he's learning REALLY well, and the WWE is very high on him. He's not the "Next Big Thing", but he's good enough to the point where he will win several World Titles, IMO.

:y:

dablackguy
12-05-2005, 09:27 PM
Carlito
Sheldon if he never speaks

Orton gtes hurt a tad much (The shoulder this year and last year the other shoulder and misses a bit of time)

John la Rock
12-05-2005, 09:27 PM
Randy Orton hands down

Skippord
12-05-2005, 10:02 PM
Bobby Lashely If he never talks again and doesnt go to the NFL only to fizzle out

Destor
12-05-2005, 10:24 PM
You guys are thinking to narrowly. It almost never is someone that is made into a star, it is someone who makes themselve into a star. Orton and Cena were made into what they are.
Hulk Hogan anyone?

Savio
12-05-2005, 11:35 PM
HE can learn to talk on a mic. He's got that sort of "I don't need to talk" Taker Charisma to boot, a natural advantage.When was the last time someone carried the company and couldn't speak? Even Brock learn how to speak after being silent for 4 months. 2004 was his best speaking career BTW (too bad it was cut short)

Joey Slugs
12-05-2005, 11:39 PM
Punk

Kane Knight
12-05-2005, 11:54 PM
When was the last time someone carried the company and couldn't speak? Even Brock learn how to speak after being silent for 4 months. 2004 was his best speaking career BTW (too bad it was cut short)

I just said he could learn hwo to speak.

Not everybody starts off with mic skills. You just augmented my point bringing up Brock.

Blitz
12-06-2005, 12:00 AM
1. Shelton Benjamin
2. Ken Kennedy
4. Paul London
5. Brian Kendrick
6. Carlito

There are others, but I can really see these guys being top guys in the future.

I agree with you on Kendrick and London, but what makes you list Doug Basham?

loopydate
12-06-2005, 01:04 AM
Basham in OVW was amazing. I never saw it, but apparently he put on a tremendous Iron Man match with Chris Benoit.

Zen v.W.o.
12-06-2005, 01:22 AM
Carlito fucking sucks. I cant believe he's getting mentions. In the ring and on the mic, he's nothing at all special.

Personally I dont know, but everyone is praising Harry Smith. Vince loves size, well here's a kid with size who can actually fucking GO.
I'd like to see a guy like him make it big.

CM Punk is interesting, he has the capability of being big. I dont think anyone can be big like Austin etc however if they dont revert back to the ways that allowed guys like him to become what they were.

Joey Slugs
12-06-2005, 01:50 AM
Phil Brooks

Skippord
12-06-2005, 01:54 AM
I hope its CM Punk and I hope he gets to use the Pepsi Plunge

Mr. Nerfect
12-06-2005, 02:25 AM
I agree with you on Kendrick and London, but what makes you list Doug Basham?

Like loopydate, I never really saw it, but apparently Basham was uber-talented in OVW. I read somewhere that Chris Benoit once said Doug can go hold-to-hold with him anyday. Granted, this is all second hand and and third hand knowledge, but I think if he did get the chance he could take it. The WWE has done worse. Basham is also fairly decent on the mic.

Then there's also Paul Burchill. I can't believe I forgot about him. He's a candidate as well.

Carlito may not have done too much in the WWE, but he's not awful ni the ring. He is working for the WWE these days, so you know he's toned down. He just has so much natural charisma. I don't know if he will ever carry the company, but he probably will headline WrestleMania at some stage.

Damaja (Danny Basham) if ever given a solid push in the right direction could be big, as could Nick Dinsmore. These are HUGE ifs, though.

Another guy not to count out is Shelton Benjamin. The guy's just a little nervous when it comes to talking on the mic. That doesn't mean he sucks or he doesn't have a personality. Have him work with Heyman and I guarantee you he could cut some Grade-A stuff.

Blitz
12-06-2005, 02:51 AM
Yeah, I heard Basham was good in OVW, never saw it though.
I totally agree with you on Burchill. He's got great presence in addition to ring skills and a good look.

And whoever said Samoa Joe, yer damn right. :cool:

Why don't we open it up a little more. Any Indy wrestlers you guys have seen that look really good? And by Indy I mean guys who've never been in WWE (obviously) or appeared on TNA more than once or twice.

I'd nominate Tyson Dux and CK3. Great charisma, in ring talent, and CK3 is the best promo guy I've ever seen outiside WWE.

HeartBreakMan2k
12-06-2005, 03:02 AM
Shelton is my odds on favorite, as well as personal fav.

V
12-06-2005, 03:35 AM
shelton was amazing on raw yesterday

you know, it coulda been Brock. Brock was definately on his way to being as big as rock/austin, it's too bad he left.

Pinnacle Charisma
12-06-2005, 09:00 AM
I think Shelton will be a great champ but I dont see him in the same league as the rock, flair, austin or hogan.

I still think Christain could lead TNA to higher grounds and become a great champion. He has the abilty unlike Cena or Bats to become over without a massive push. And who knows X-TAN might return to the wwe one day.

I think Kennedy also had the abilty to become an over face in a rock sort of way meaning that the fans will cheer him as a heel and hate him as a face.

Cena is too limited in his appeal as a face. The way he is being booked as a face he only appeals to the teenyboppers. He had the abilty to became a face in an austin way but the wwe fucked that up. If Cena turns heel and gets over again and then take a face turn regarding the same qualities then he could hold the company. But he needs to do a hell of alot of work in his charisma and wrestling abilty.

The best bet in young Randall Orton. He has it all and knows the wrestling business inside out.

I also think CM punk could be big in a HHH type of way

Destor
12-06-2005, 09:14 AM
I think Shelton will be a great champ but I dont see him in the same league as the rock, flair, austin or hogan.

I still think Christain could lead TNA to higher grounds and become a great champion. He has the abilty unlike Cena or Bats to become over without a massive push. And who knows X-TAN might return to the wwe one day.

I think Kennedy also had the abilty to become an over face in a rock sort of way meaning that the fans will cheer him as a heel and hate him as a face.

Cena is too limited in his appeal as a face. The way he is being booked as a face he only appeals to the teenyboppers. He had the abilty to became a face in an austin way but the wwe fucked that up. If Cena turns heel and gets over again and then take a face turn regarding the same qualities then he could hold the company. But he needs to do a hell of alot of work in his charisma and wrestling abilty.

The best bet in young Randall Orton. He has it all and knows the wrestling business inside out.

I also think CM punk could be big in a HHH type of way
How do you work on your charisma? :?:

Gertner
12-06-2005, 09:25 AM
The Boogeyman of course. This gimmick won't get old and stale :shifty

Pinnacle Charisma
12-06-2005, 09:31 AM
How do you work on your charisma? :?:

Charisma is all about appeal and how people are drawn to you. How you say your words, your diction, facial expressions, how to relate to people in the ring and in the crowd. If Cena worked on this things then he could become a more likeable tv presence that could appeal to a larger majority group

And i should now I am the pinnacle of charisma

Destor
12-06-2005, 09:45 AM
Main Entry: cha·ris·ma http://m-w.com/images/audio.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?charis01.wav=charisma'))
Pronunciation: <TT>k&-'riz-m&</TT>
Variant(s): also char·ism http://m-w.com/images/audio.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?charis02.wav=charism')) /<TT>'kar-"i-z&m</TT>/
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural cha·ris·ma·ta http://m-w.com/images/audio.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?charis04.wav=charismata')) http://m-w.com/images/audio.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?charis03.wav=charismata')) /<TT>k&-'riz-m&-t&, "kar-iz-'mä-t&</TT>/; also charisms
Etymology: Greek charisma favor, gift, from charizesthai to favor, from charis grace; akin to Greek chairein to rejoice -- more at YEARN (http://m-w.com/dictionary/yearn)
1 : an extraordinary power (as of healing) given a Christian by the Holy Spirit for the good of the church
2 a : a personal magic of leadership arousing special popular loyalty or enthusiasm for a public figure (as a political leader) b : a special magnetic charm (http://m-w.com/dictionary/charm) or appeal <THE charisma of a popular actor>
===================================
Charisma seems pretty innate to me. Not something you can be trained in.

hb2k
12-06-2005, 10:25 AM
1. Shelton Benjamin
2. Ken Kennedy
4. Paul London
5. Brian Kendrick
6. Carlito

As much as I like Spanky, I really don't see Basham Vs. Kendrick headlining WrestleMania anytime soon.

Shelton Benjamin. I always thought he'd play a great Apollo Creed-esque "I'm good and I know it" heel.

Kane Knight
12-06-2005, 10:34 AM
Main Entry: cha·ris·ma http://m-w.com/images/audio.gif (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:popWin%28%27/cgi-bin/audio.pl?charis01.wav=charisma%27%29)
Pronunciation: <tt>k&-'riz-m&</tt>
Variant(s): also char·ism http://m-w.com/images/audio.gif (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:popWin%28%27/cgi-bin/audio.pl?charis02.wav=charism%27%29) /<tt>'kar-"i-z&m</tt>/
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural cha·ris·ma·ta http://m-w.com/images/audio.gif (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:popWin%28%27/cgi-bin/audio.pl?charis04.wav=charismata%27%29) http://m-w.com/images/audio.gif (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:popWin%28%27/cgi-bin/audio.pl?charis03.wav=charismata%27%29) /<tt>k&-'riz-m&-t&, "kar-iz-'mä-t&</tt>/; also charisms
Etymology: Greek charisma favor, gift, from charizesthai to favor, from charis grace; akin to Greek chairein to rejoice -- more at YEARN (http://m-w.com/dictionary/yearn)
1 : an extraordinary power (as of healing) given a Christian by the Holy Spirit for the good of the church
2 a : a personal magic of leadership arousing special popular loyalty or enthusiasm for a public figure (as a political leader) b : a special magnetic charm (http://m-w.com/dictionary/charm) or appeal <the ="">charisma of a popular actor> </the>
===================================
Charisma seems pretty innate to me. Not something you can be trained in.

Charisma can be worked on, but nothing beats a natural gift for it.

McLegend
12-06-2005, 01:49 PM
Cena has charisma and is probably the most charismatic guy on the roster. Cena may have to work on a lot of things but Charisma isn't one of them.

BlackDawn2024
12-06-2005, 03:11 PM
Orton could be fucking HUGE one day. His ring work is quite good(and improved over the years), he's got a natural charisma, and makes for one very entertaining heel.

I'm really watching Carlito, Shelton and Kennedy. Those three could be hella big one day. Especially Shelton.

As for Cena, while I don't care for him, his mic work is fantastic. When he's not making poop or gay jokes, he can be really entertaining mic wise. You could have easily turned Cena into the Austin-esque anti-establishment kind of thing, but they chose to go with the goody-two shoes face that people tire of quickly.

Dorkchop
12-06-2005, 08:05 PM
It's not going to be someone that the WWE push to the moon to be the next mega star. Brock was huge, but couldn't be the next Hogan or Austin. Carlito has personality, but won't be the guy. London... he'll be released eventually... not matter how great he is. Orton will be big, but not the guy. It'll just be someone.

I don't think Kennedy will be the guy either. The WWE are pushing him too much roght now to be a huge star.

That's the problem... the WWE are trying to hard to make that huge mega star, instead of just going with the flow. Christian was getting mad pops, so they de pushed him. Edge was an awesome goofy face, so they put him as Mr. Serious and no one cares. They're just rushing certain guys waaay too soon.

Savio
12-06-2005, 10:12 PM
I just said he could learn hwo to speak.

Not everybody starts off with mic skills. You just augmented my point bringing up Brock.
Shelton.....Learn? Please do I even need to say it?
---------------------
Besides Brock was good when he first started shelton was/is not

94 SVT Cobra
12-06-2005, 10:46 PM
NICK MONDO IZ DUH BEST WRESTLER EVA!!! NICK MONDO IS DUH FUTCHA CZW IN YO FACE!!!!

....................God help the first person who thinks im serious

Pinnacle Charisma
12-06-2005, 10:50 PM
Cena has charisma and is probably the most charismatic guy on the roster. Cena may have to work on a lot of things but Charisma isn't one of them.

I think Cena's charisma is definitely overrated. He does have some but by no means he is the most charismatic person on the roster. HBK, Angle and even Kennedy spring to mind (Jericho too if he was still employed). He is too much in his own world most of the time and it feels like he goes though the motions too much which means he is not bring out

And yeah KK was right charisma is something you are born with but you can work on it which Cena needs to do. For example take away Christain's smirks, the way he pronounces his words and the way he holds himself you will notice an entirely different less charismatic person.

I remember a few of Jericho’s interviews and he has said that he believes he is one of the most charismatic wrestlers in the wwe because he modelled himself on charismatic rockstars like Gene Simmonds and how they talked into the mic and their facial expressions.

McLegend
12-06-2005, 11:00 PM
I think Cena's charisma is definitely overrated. He does have some but by no means he is the most charismatic person on the roster. HBK, Angle and even Kennedy spring to mind (Jericho too if he was still employed). He is too much in his own world most of the time and it feels like he goes though the motions too much which means he is not bring out.
You may be right about him not being the most charistmatic guy on the roster, but his charisma is not overrated. Actually I think chrisma is one thing that can't be overrated. I may be wrong on that, but I don't think anyone has overrated Charisma.

If you saw Cena on the UPW docmentuary(or whatever the wrestling promotion name is before he got to WWE)he cut a promo in a hotel room that made my hair stand on end. He even said something about PP&J sandwhich and still was great. Seriously one of the best promos I have ever seen. Cena has "IT" and IMO is bonafide main eventer and the Future of the WWE. I hate the ultrababy face he is now, but Cena is the future.

My Final Heaven
12-11-2005, 01:16 AM
5. Brian Kendrick

That's actually the 1st person I thought of when I saw this topic. He kicks ass in the ring, he's marketable, & he has kinda like a Elijah Woodish quality that could have the Cena/Orton pubescents in an uproar if he were pushed in that way.