PDA

View Full Version : If Bret Hart is not the fucking man...

Rob
12-27-2005, 01:29 PM
... why the hell is Vince McMahon still putting him over on his TV in the main event spots 8 years after Montreal. Now I am a self confessed massive Bret Hart mark and always will be. I'll defend him until the end of time. But if I was the biggest wrestling promoter in the world today, my main events would not be me standing in a ring still harping on about Montreal and putting over a guy who not only had 8 concussions in a 3 week period (which ended his career 5 years ago), a guy who had his family fall apart around him during his weakest point of his life and a guy who had a friggin stroke that nearly ended his life. And if that wasn't enough, BRET HART DOESN'T EVEN WORK FOR THE FUCKING WWE!!! Jesus! How hard is it to put over your own talent? No wonder The Rock, Chris Jericho and Christian Cage all walked out on their own freewill.

Xero
12-27-2005, 01:38 PM
Ignoring the fact that Bret doesn't have a contract, everything they do with Montreal from now on will be worthless without a storyline that actually brings Bret back in.

It'll never happen, but you get what I mean.

Kane Knight
12-27-2005, 01:41 PM
... why the hell is Vince McMahon still putting him over on his TV in the main event spots 8 years after Montreal[....]Jesus! How hard is it to put over your own talent?

Rhetorical, then?

I don't much know why they can't build the talent they have, but it IS why they're building up Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels.

Rob
12-27-2005, 01:43 PM
Remember they did such a great job of building up Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart at Summerslam 2005.

Unfortunately, they booked Hulk Hogan in Hart's spot.

You know what the funniest lines of that show were? The one where Vince asked Todd Grisham if he thought Vince could take him and where Vince was talking about how he hoped Bret was up in Canada watching his segment. Well Vinnie, you might be a 60 year old (Shawn bringing that up too was pretty funny) steroid freak but you'd still struggle to beat up a 48 year old man recovering from 8 concussions and a stroke. And I hope Bret was watching this in Italy (since thats where he lives now Vince) because he would have been laughing his arse off at still being the focal point of WWE 8 years after he left.

Xero
12-27-2005, 01:48 PM
They went with the easy way to get Shawn over as a heel for SummerSlam.

Of course, the very night after SummerSlam they completely undid all their work and put him back over as a face.

McLegend
12-27-2005, 01:53 PM
Remember they did such a great job of building up Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart at Summerslam 2005.

Unfortunately, they booked Hulk Hogan in Hart's spot.

You know what the funniest lines of that show were? The one where Vince asked Todd Grisham if he thought Vince could take him and where Vince was talking about how he hoped Bret was up in Canada watching his segment. Well Vinnie, you might be a 60 year old (Shawn bringing that up too was pretty funny) steroid freak but you'd still struggle to beat up a 48 year old man recovering from 8 concussions and a stroke. And I hope Bret was watching this in Italy (since thats where he lives now Vince) because he would have been laughing his arse off at still being the focal point of WWE 8 years after he left.
I love Bret, but I seriously don't think he could take Vince now.

Volare
12-27-2005, 01:54 PM
i was kinda worried that with what vince said, that shawn might be thinking about retirement when vince said "I'll Screw You"

Rob
12-27-2005, 01:54 PM
Vince couldn't fight sleep.

Rob
12-27-2005, 01:55 PM
i was kinda worried that with what vince said, that shawn might be thinking about retirement when vince said "I'll Screw You"

I was thinking Shawn was probably thinking "ok but this time be gentle".

Volare
12-27-2005, 01:57 PM
:rofl:

Kane Knight
12-27-2005, 01:59 PM
I love Bret, but I seriously don't think he could take Vince now.

Vince can't exactly be in great shape either, and Bret's doing pretty well.

McLegend
12-27-2005, 02:00 PM
Vince can't exactly be in great shape either, and Bret's doing pretty well.
Yeah, but one punch in the head and Bret is done.

Volare
12-27-2005, 02:03 PM
agreed

Kane Knight
12-27-2005, 02:06 PM

But Vince's grapefruits are clearly a larger target. ;)

Volare
12-27-2005, 02:09 PM
hey KK do you think anyone could count how many fuckin times vince has been nailed??? i think more than a few :)

McLegend
12-27-2005, 02:12 PM
But Vince's grapefruits are clearly a larger target. ;)
That's true I guess Bret does stand some sort of chance.

JH
12-27-2005, 02:23 PM
am i the only one who thinks Bret is the next RAW GM

Xero
12-27-2005, 02:26 PM
am i the only one who thinks Bret is the next RAW GM
I kept saying to myself that last night was going to end with Bret becoming GM.

Nark Order
12-27-2005, 02:29 PM
He's putting him over to make money on the new DVD. It's really not that hard to figure out.

Vince likes money.

Memories of Bret = Money

YOUR Hero
12-27-2005, 02:46 PM
Bret's name still makes money. It's easy to promote something that's already successful than it is to get your over paid creative team to build up/promote the new wrestlers.

Easy Money is more than a wrestler's name.

Crimson
12-27-2005, 03:23 PM
Yea he was defeniatley promoting the dvd. I was thinking he might try and set up a Bret/Vince match for wrestlemania...might happen..right?

Xero
12-27-2005, 03:29 PM
Yea he was defeniatley promoting the dvd. I was thinking he might try and set up a Bret/Vince match for wrestlemania...might happen..right?
Bret can't wrestle whatsoever. He could be killed in the ring if he took a big enough bump.

Loose Cannon
12-27-2005, 03:31 PM
Just watched the DVD. Tremendous stuff.

Loved the two Tribute pieces for his brother Dean and for all the wrestlers that passed away.

Loose Cannon
12-27-2005, 03:37 PM
Adonis even got a mention and that was great cause you never see him mentioned in all the past tribute vidoes they've done.

Hitman84
12-27-2005, 05:13 PM
I was thinking Shawn was probably thinking "ok but this time be gentle".
:lol:

I have this burning dislike of HBK, and it probably stems from his part in Montréal and that he refused to put Bret, Owen and Davey Boy over (let's face it, Neidhart was never likely to challenge for the WWF World Title like Bret did and Owen and Bulldog should have done) in any context throughout the entire fiasco of 1997.

It's true though, that Montréal was a long time ago, but they wouldn't keep making reference to it if they didn't think they could make some money from it. There's Bret's DVD and HBK's book that they need to plug.

But regardless, Bret is, was and always will be the man. He was misused in WCW and should have ended his career on a high with WWF, not by Fed-Ex whilst on sabbatical due to injuries sustained with a guy whose ego is so big and whose skills are so mediocre that he has no business getting in a wrestling ring... but that's another thread for discussion at another time, people! :lol:

weather vane
12-27-2005, 11:54 PM
Bret Hart will return. Mark my words.

Filipe1
12-28-2005, 12:12 AM
I dont think there really is any question about if Bret will ever return. He has even said to promote the dvd, or get put in the Hall of Fame, if they were to offer the right circumstances it could happen. However, it is obviously not going to happen, when Bret Hart isnt consulted on it, not to mention currently in Italy.

Kane Knight
12-28-2005, 12:13 AM
Yeah, but nobody holds a grudge in wrestling...

...Least, not when there's money and ego to be gained...

...Unless they're from Montréal.

Zen v.W.o.
12-28-2005, 01:17 AM
Actually last I heard Bret is up in Calgary. He didn't want to move away from his kids, and his kids aren't moving away to Italy while already lodged in school and still need to be with their mom. He was in Italy, but he did come back. However, I could be wrong, just last I read, he was in Calgary.

Makes sense considering he was on OTR not too long ago, was being interviewed on local tv here recently..

Anyways, Bret is the man, but I dont feel like he'll accept a gm position or something like that. It'll be the HOF or nothing. I tend to believe he'd come back(if he chose to) in some Canadian city as well. They passed up a good chance not so long ago in Montreal.

McLegend
12-28-2005, 02:16 AM
Meltzer reported the other day that Bret was in Italy and had no intentions of coming back to North America for a while.

Zen v.W.o.
12-28-2005, 03:07 AM
I see, then I stand corrected.

Rob
12-28-2005, 07:30 AM

Likely but not exactly 100% true. He could take a punch but if it was numerous times or one blow to a specific part of the head with the most truma then it would be over.

However, how likely is it really that a 60 year old bitch without no fighting experience could actually throw a punch hard enough to knock out a former professional athlete? I'll just prefer to remember the one real punch that actually happened between them :)

BigChris
12-28-2005, 07:39 AM
Who ever said he isn't the man, for that man is stupid.

Kane Knight
12-28-2005, 10:32 AM
Likely but not exactly 100% true. He could take a punch but if it was numerous times or one blow to a specific part of the head with the most truma then it would be over.

However, how likely is it really that a 60 year old bitch without no fighting experience could actually throw a punch hard enough to knock out a former professional athlete? I'll just prefer to remember the one real punch that actually happened between them :)

The "lucky punch" could happen even with no fighting experience, so it'd still be a risk for Bret.

I doubt that Bret's likely to LET himself get hit though, so I'd say the odds are slim.

VonErich Lives
12-29-2005, 05:00 PM
Rob, I think as already mentioned here that had little to do with Brett and a lot to do with Vince selling some DVD's.

I haven't seen the DVD, but if the exceprts I've read are correct Brett still hadn't let the "Screw Job" go, going as far as to blame just about everything in his life on that... Owen, WCW, His career ending... etc...

again, I haven't seen it, so I'm just taking the word of posts on another wretling site.

In Vinces case, it had everything to do with trying to sell more DVD's and maybe, maybe, making a HBK full heel turn?

Rob
12-29-2005, 05:28 PM
Had nothing to do with selling DVD's. DVD is already selling well for a start. And he threw the DVD into the crowd and focused on Montreal the entire time.

McDoogle
12-29-2005, 06:22 PM
It would have been funny if he threw the DVD in the crowd but the DVD itself was missing and it was only the case.

McDoogle
12-29-2005, 06:23 PM
Sounds like something Vince would do.

Loose Cannon
12-29-2005, 07:05 PM
Rob, I think as already mentioned here that had little to do with Brett and a lot to do with Vince selling some DVD's.

I haven't seen the DVD, but if the exceprts I've read are correct Brett still hadn't let the "Screw Job" go, going as far as to blame just about everything in his life on that... Owen, WCW, His career ending... etc...

again, I haven't seen it, so I'm just taking the word of posts on another wretling site.

In Vinces case, it had everything to do with trying to sell more DVD's and maybe, maybe, making a HBK full heel turn?

WTF? Wherever you read that, it's total bullshit. I've watched the DVD 3 times now and in no way what so ever did he come off like that. He never mentioned anything about him being bitter or blaming every bad thing in his life because of that. lol, what DVD did they watch.

Kane Knight
12-29-2005, 07:14 PM
WTF? Wherever you read that, it's total bullshit. I've watched the DVD 3 times now and in no way what so ever did he come off like that. He never mentioned anything about him being bitter or blaming every bad thing in his life because of that. lol, what DVD did they watch.

VEL doesn't believe in...Whatdoyoucallthem...Facts.

Kane Knight
12-29-2005, 07:14 PM
It would have been funny if he threw the DVD in the crowd but the DVD itself was missing and it was only the case.

Or sued the fan for theft.

Rob
12-29-2005, 07:28 PM
VEL doesn't believe in...Whatdoyoucallthem...Facts.

I didn't say it.

VonErich Lives
12-29-2005, 07:57 PM
I didn't say it.

I think I was pretty clear in saying "I Read" and "I haven't watched the DVD myself".

So, maybe you and KK should read before jumping to conclusions.

Rob
12-29-2005, 07:59 PM
And I don't recall making comments about you watching the DVD either. What was that about conclusions?

VonErich Lives
12-29-2005, 08:00 PM
As I said, I read it view someone who watched the video, I may have mistaken this section quoted as interpetation rather then a quote from the video, hence why when I made my comment I tried to make it as clear as possible my info was second hand and not with my own eyes/ears.

http://www.pwtorch.com/members/artman/publish/article_14046.shtml

Owen wouldn't have died...if Montreal didn't happen. My career wouldn't have ended on Goldberg's kick to the head at Starrcade '99...if Montreal didn't happen. I wouldn't be forced to compromise my principles and work with WWE on a career documentary...if Montreal didn't happen. I wouldn't have fizzled out in WCW...if Montreal didn't happen. I wouldn't have suffered a stroke...if Montreal didn't happen.

Rob
12-29-2005, 08:05 PM
Aside from the stroke (which could have still happened), it's all true though.

VonErich Lives
12-29-2005, 08:08 PM
Aside from the stroke (which could have still happened), it's all true though.

But to clear it up, Brett did or did not say this in the DVD?

Kane Knight
12-29-2005, 08:11 PM
And I don't recall making comments about you watching the DVD either. What was that about conclusions?

VEL doesn't believe in...howdoyosayit...Understanding a statement before bashing it.

Loose Cannon
12-29-2005, 08:18 PM
NO. Bret did not say that or DID NOT say anything like that on the DVD.