PDA

View Full Version : Rose Bowl

Kris P Lettus
01-04-2006, 12:45 PM
I beilieve Texas is going to win..

-faster D
-better kicking game

Any good coach will tell you that the key to winning close games is kicking.. Just look at the Orange Bowl from last night.. Outta 117 NCAA Division 1-A teams USC ranked 117th on punt return defence.. Opponents averaged nearly 18 yards a return against them.. Arron Ross averaged 15 yard per punt return and has returned a couple for TDs this season.. Texas also has blocked 6 punts and 3 field goal this season.. Sure, the Trojans rarely have to punt or kick field goals but if Texas' D can stop at the point of attrack, it might be a long day for USC..

One more thing, stat-wise, Texas puts up more points/yards per game and give up less of both.. I understand that their schedule isn't as rough as USC's but I still think they can take them tonight, home field advantage and all..

Gertner
01-04-2006, 01:11 PM
usc is gonna win by more than 2 touchdowns.

Kris P Lettus
01-04-2006, 01:21 PM
Same overestimation that'll aid your loss..

Supreme Olajuwon
01-04-2006, 01:34 PM
I think USC will win because Texas will focus too much on stopping Bush and White and Jarret and Smith will have big games through the air.

RP
01-04-2006, 02:33 PM
USC by 7. They'll score that TD in the final two minutes and i think this will be one of the best games ever.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
01-04-2006, 05:33 PM
I think Supremes right, I have a feeling Bush won't have a HUGE game but USC still will win. Texas's D is sick but I don't know if they can stop the USC offense. I think their best shot to win would be to fuck up Leinhart, like the ND game. He got blasted a few times and had a horrible game(for him anyways) If Leinhart's jersey stays clean I really don't see how Texas has any hope of winning.

Gonzo
01-04-2006, 05:39 PM
I think that if Texas wants to win, or compete for that matter they will have to do what Stima just said. Beat teh shit out of Leinart. Either that or shoot it out with them.

I want to see USC lose, just so everyone will get off their nuts.

Joey Slugs
01-04-2006, 06:15 PM
this game will NOT live up to the hype. I'm guessing USC wins by atleast 3 touchdowns.

RP
01-04-2006, 06:19 PM
I think Bush and Young will make this the most memorable National Championship game ever. I think the only thing this game is lacking is some sort of Bob Sanders.

The Miz
01-04-2006, 06:32 PM
SC 42-17 Texas

The Greater Power
01-04-2006, 06:38 PM
I'm not too familiar with the Oklahoma program...

Could someone please compare Oklahoma of LAST YEAR to Texas of this year?

Gonzo
01-04-2006, 07:37 PM
I really don't think USC is going to blow out Texas here. If that happened, I would be shocked.

Innovator
01-04-2006, 08:56 PM
So far Texas is killing themselves, they need to strap down and stick to the basics

STICK TO THE BASICS STICK TO THE BASICS STICK TO THE BASICS

Joey Slugs
01-04-2006, 09:14 PM
:wtf: @ Reggie Bush

Innovator
01-04-2006, 09:20 PM
Texas is just sloppy

Joey Slugs
01-04-2006, 10:00 PM
wow. 2 HORRIBLE missed calls by the refs.

loopydate
01-04-2006, 10:29 PM
Beatles medley by the marching band = :love:

Gonzo
01-04-2006, 10:33 PM
wow. 2 HORRIBLE missed calls by the refs.

The Texas touchdown and what else?

I really wish they would have gotten a booth review in on that TD for Texas. If Texas goes on to win this game that is all we're going to hear for god knows how long.

VonErich Lives
01-04-2006, 10:46 PM
Bush's lateral has to be one of the worst ideas I've seen and if you watch the replay, it actually looked like a fwd pass, which if reviewed would have been a penalty, but they would have kept posession.

Also, WTF at Texas not going for 2points... Do they not know math at that school?

Been a good game... fun to watch!

Joey Slugs
01-04-2006, 11:08 PM
The Texas touchdown and what else?

I really wish they would have gotten a booth review in on that TD for Texas. If Texas goes on to win this game that is all we're going to hear for god knows how long.

And the interception/fumble that was called an incomplete pass.

RP
01-04-2006, 11:11 PM
Vince Young vs USC

Joey Slugs
01-05-2006, 12:10 AM
Holy Shit. UT can win this. 2:09 left. Down by 5. On their own 43.

Joey Slugs
01-05-2006, 12:10 AM
& 2 Timeouts left.

RP
01-05-2006, 12:14 AM
Heck of a game

RP
01-05-2006, 12:19 AM
VINCE FUCKING YOUNG

Innovator
01-05-2006, 12:22 AM
YOU CANT STOP VINCE YOUNG HOLY SHIT!

CNM
01-05-2006, 12:26 AM
WOWOWOW. WHAT A GAME! VINCE YOUNG!

Joey Slugs
01-05-2006, 12:27 AM
LIVED

UP

TO

THE

HYPE

What a great fucking game that was.

DrA
01-05-2006, 12:27 AM
Greatest player in the history of football.

OssMan
01-05-2006, 12:29 AM
lol at USC losing a game

Joey Slugs
01-05-2006, 12:29 AM
2006 NFL Draft:

1. Reggie Bush - Houston
2. Matt Leinart - New Orleans (traded)
3. Vince Young - Tennessee

And Young will have the best career out of the 3 of them.

AlphaBean
01-05-2006, 12:30 AM
:'(

A tear of joy.

For some reason... I felt like watching tonight. Not a big college football fan.

Reggie Bush and Vince Young are going to fight for MVP for the next 10 years in the NFL. :'(

RP
If Vince Young cant fly i swear to god i'll kill myself!

AlphaBean
Vince Young vs Reggie Bush for NFL MVP for the next 10 years.

CNM
Vince Young is fucking amazing. One of the greatest performances in the history of college football.

Splaya
01-05-2006, 12:31 AM
God the game was so awesome. I've never been prouder to be a college football fan :(

RP
01-05-2006, 12:33 AM
VINCE YOUNG SAVES BABIES ON HIS OFF TIME!!!!!!!!

AlphaBean
Reminds me of Mike Vick vs Florida State... without the sucking.

I bet right now, the Texans could trade down and still get Reggie Bush, if mister Young wanted to declare. :eek:

Joey Slugs
That might be the greatest performance in any college game in history.

Vince Young > you

The Miz
2006 NFL Draft:

1. Reggie Bush - Houston

lol

Joey Slugs
01-05-2006, 12:34 AM
God the game was so awesome. I've never been prouder to be a college football fan :(

WELL FUCKING SAID

Gonzo
01-05-2006, 12:35 AM
That might be the greatest performance in any college game in history.

Vince Young > you

I don't think that pass was a catch, personally.

There were a couple calls that were missed for both sides.

Splaya
01-05-2006, 12:36 AM
<TABLE class=yspwhitebg cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=ysptblthbody1 align=right><TD class=yspdetailttl align=left height=18>Texas</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>Comp</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>Att</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>Yds</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>Pct</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>Y/A</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>Sack</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>YdsL</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>TD</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>Int </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1 align=right><TD align=left> V. Young</TD><TD>30</TD><TD>40</TD><TD>267</TD><TD>75.0</TD><TD>6.7</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=yspwhitebg cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=ysptblthbody1 align=right><TD class=yspdetailttl align=left height=18>Texas</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>Rush</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>Yds</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>Avg</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>Lng</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>TD</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl>FumL </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1 align=right><TD align=left> V. Young</TD><TD>20</TD><TD>200</TD><TD>10.0</TD><TD>45</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>0 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

So lets see 467 yards by himself.
3 TD's
No interceptions or fumbles.

Heisman recount please

RP
01-05-2006, 12:37 AM
I'LL TRADE MANNING FOR YOUNG OMGOZERS!

Joey Slugs
My gf is a UT alumna. She's going fucking nuts right now. She'll be making and getting phone calls all night.

Splaya
Yup I think the sig title is being changed

Johnny Vegas
I am not a college football fanatic..i dont even like Texas like that. But they made me a fan tonight, especially that dude Young. Vince Young. WILL be on ESPN classic friday. :y:

RP
01-05-2006, 12:39 AM
My gf is a UT alumna. She's going fucking nuts right now. She'll be making and getting phone calls all night.

Sacrafice your girlfriend to Vincent Young's penis. If not for Vince do it for your country.

AlphaBean
01-05-2006, 12:40 AM
Yea... other than the (loser) Gophers, I tend to shy away from college football. But ditto... I'm a fan now. Especially of mister Young.

I want his babies. :drool:

Joey Slugs
01-05-2006, 12:40 AM
Sacrafice your girlfriend to Vincent Young's penis. If not for Vince do it for your country.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I :love: You

Splaya
01-05-2006, 12:45 AM
Game is being reshown on ESPN Classic at 7pm Sat night.

yeah I think I'm gonna DVR it :love:

Joey Slugs
01-05-2006, 12:47 AM
a 16-10 game at the half became one of the (if not the) greatest shootouts in NCAA history.

Joey Slugs
01-05-2006, 12:48 AM
Game is being reshown on ESPN Classic at 7pm Sat night.

yeah I think I'm gonna DVR it :love:

They already have a set time for it? That's fucking awesome.

Gonzo
01-05-2006, 12:48 AM
I thought the game would become a shootout. I said to my dad at halftime that during the first half they were probably feeling out the defensive schemes of each other and in the second half would adjust and come out slinging.

Supreme Olajuwon
01-05-2006, 01:15 AM
Jesus. I can't wait for the UT OSU rematch next year if Young comes back. omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg

Corkscrewed
01-05-2006, 02:32 AM
Posted this in another forum, but since only like nobody here visits there, I don't think it'll be a problem.

I've had about an hour and a half to collect my thoughts... mostly because I was at a friend's house for a viewing party and then had to drive home and take a shower.

So here goes.

It was a great game that lived up to the hype. Except for the end. But that's because I'm a Trojan.

There are a lot of ways I can respond. No doubt, we will have Trojans playing the "what if" game. What if Bush hadn't tried that foolish lateral? What if that Vince Young lateral had actually been called down like it really was? What if that Texas fumble that wasn't called a fumble had been reviewed and the officials had awarded the ball back to USC like they should have? What White had made the extra foot? What if we had given the ball to Bush instead? What if we had punted instead? What if we had passed instead? What if we didn't have that idiotic facemask penalty when Texas had it at midfield and fourth down? What if we had stopped Young on 4th and 5? What if Leinart hadn't used up all 8 remaining seconds looking aimlessly then throwing to the sideline?

After a while you start stretching. And really, had the game gone the other way, Texas fans would have similar beefs. What if that pass Leinart threw where the Texas defender caught it in midair, then hit the ground, then lost it, had actually been ruled an interception like it actually was (ground cannot cause a fumble)? What if Texas hadn't missed the extra point? Or the field goal?

It goes both ways. Had Bush completed that lateral, he would have been hailed as a genius for thinking quickly on the fly. If White had completed the 4th and 2, Carroll would be hailed for being bold and going for it despite being near midfield. But we didn't make the plays. And don't forget, Texas had that fumble at the start of the game. They fumbled three or four more times afterwards.

What it call comes down to is defense. If you still don't believe defense wins championships, then this was your lesson 101. When the game was on the line, Texas' D came up big. Ours did not. They stopped White. We could not stop Young. Heck, you look at our whole game, and it was the defense that proved to be the weak link. Some horrendous missed coverages, and blown tackles galore. Texas had several plays that should have gone for only three or four yards, but ended up going for 20 or 30. We simply couldn't tackle.

And it didn't hurt that they had Vince Young, who was Leinart and Bush in one package tonight.

---

It hurts. I was stunned. I really thought we could have won. Should have won. Would have won. And looking back, yeah, we could have and we should have. But we didn't. It hurts to say it, but Texas outplayed us. At the end of the day, I have no excuse but to say they outplayed us. They were the better team tonight. And congratulations for that.

I think it was ECC who, at the end of last year's NBA Finals, made the argument that Detroit was the better team despite losing. I headed a counterargument that said if you lose in the big game[s], then there's no excuse. Well, after tonight, I can kind of see his point of view a little better, but I honestly believe we SHOULD have won that game. I do feel that while both sides got some questionable calls, Texas benefitted more. And the NBA analogy uses a seven game series, while tonight was only one game. It's much more convincing to win four games out of seven than to win one. Maybe it's a sense of denial. But as a die-hard Trojan fan and a die-hard Trojan student, I really thought we would win... even at the end, with 19 seconds left.

It ain't over till it's over, or till the fat lady sings.

But then it was over, and just like that, the streaks were gone. 34 games, now history, as is the AP #1 ranking streak and a slew of others.

But you know what? The immature fan will make the excuses and the blame game. As easy as it would be to use all those excuses I pointed out above to say we got "screwed" or "they got lucky" or whatever, the fact remains that they came back from a 12 point deficit and won the big game on the big night.

So to put it plainly: we got beat. So a begrudging tip of the cap to Texas for winning the 2005-06 NCAA Football National championship.

---

Next year is a "rebuilding" year for 'SC. Leinart is gone. Bush and White are most likely gone. We lose a good part of our offensive line in all likelihood, so our offense will be raw. I don't know if we can quickly get back to the absolute elite next year. It will probably take another year, although the last time we were in this situation, a guy named Matt Leinart stepped up and began one of the greatest college careers in history.

Texas, on the other hand, now assumes the mantle that 'SC has ridden for three years. Vince Young, in all likelihood, is coming back (unless he really turns his back on his school; he's already said he'll be back, though not officially). Their offense AND defense returns intact. And next year, they will get the media title of "greatest team ever." As an 'SC fan, my personal solace might be in taking joy in watching Texas possibly falter. Hopefully, now that the pressure and historic labels go to them, the'll be the ones to lose in the big one, so they can experience the pain we Trojans are going through right now.

The media's fickle. Three hours ago, it was Reggie Bush this and that, and Vince was the up and comer. Now... who's Reggie Bush? It's all Vince Young. And suddenly, Vince is the guy who should leave now, be #1 in the draft, and the Trojans are suddenly forgotten. Texas is in the limelight now.

Texas has won 20 in a row. If they make it back to the big dance next year, they'll have won 32 or 33 in a row. Something about a 30something game winning streak on the line at the national championship game that hasn't been great for teams... just ask Miami.

But you know what? Texas earned it tonight. As much as I do not want to say it (particularly because Texas the state absolutely sucks), Texas is king. But now the pressure's all on you. Lets see how you handle it, and lets see if you can accomplish what we did.

And maybe in a couple of years, we'll be back.

FIGHT ON! <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_245783-->

And a couple of notes:

- I'll be gracious if you're gracious. If you're a Longhorn and try to rub it in my face arrogantly, acting like you annihilated us, then you'll receively equally harsh treatment. I've got arguments piled up like crazy.

- Right now, my national title game prediction is indeed Texas vs Ohio State. Penn State will be good next year and could knock OSU from the top of the Big 10, but we'll see. Right now, that's my call.

- Maybe this persuades either Bush or Lendale to stay? It'd sure help out Booty next year. <!--emo&:D-->:D<!--endemo-->

- If Texas was in any other state besides Texas, I wouldn't be so incredibly pissed. <!--emo&:p-->:p

Joey Slugs
01-05-2006, 02:45 AM
well said cork. :y:

RP
01-05-2006, 02:50 AM
It was pretty evident that your coach lost all faith in his defense when he chose to go for 4th and 2 at midfield instead of pinning the Longhorns inside the 20 with a minute and half left. Leinart all but actully said that his defense sucked, if you watch the interviews afterward.

Skippord
01-05-2006, 03:54 AM
I hate Texas as a state but I like UT for some reason maybe just Vince Young

or the beatdown they put on CU woooo

Corkscrewed
01-05-2006, 04:08 AM
Seriously... the state of Texas sucks. Still. :p

I don't blame Carroll for going for it on 4th and 2. I would have made the same call. Our defense wasn't getting it done. Even if we had punted, I think Vince would have marched the team 80 or 90 yards down. It wasn't a matter of if they could score in the 4th, but when. I even remarked at the 1:03 mark that I'd prefer them to score now rather than later, if that was the case, so we get more time leftover.

The only "questioning" is whether it should have gone to White up the middle. Normally, that's the obvious choice, except everyone and his mother was expecting that because it was obvious... because White is your moneymaker in these situations.

That was the game right there IMO. I called it with my friends. You could just feel it.

So yeah. *sigh* :( This is gonna take a few days to rub off. Good thing I'm at home so I don't have to listen to ESPN suck Vince Young's penis.

VonErich Lives
01-05-2006, 05:02 AM
So, like 5mins left, USC up 12, I couldn't do it... closed my eyes for a moment and bingo... right to sleep... I missed the end... woke up and saw Texas celebrating and I'm like WTF?

good for them.

weather vane
01-05-2006, 05:07 AM
I want Vince Young.

Kris P Lettus
01-05-2006, 11:57 AM
Joey Slugs is an idiot..

Johnny Vegas
01-05-2006, 12:51 PM
You know the Swishahouse crew is lovin this shit

Joey Slugs
01-05-2006, 01:03 PM
Joey Slugs is an idiot..

What the hell did I do?

Kris P Lettus
01-05-2006, 01:20 PM
this game will NOT live up to the hype. I'm guessing USC wins by atleast 3 touchdowns.

LIVED

UP

TO

THE

HYPE

2006 NFL Draft:

1. Reggie Bush - Houston

Well, one thing is you claimed USC was gonna dominate, then after you were proved wrong, you've proceded to ride Vince Youngs testicals harder than his Rose Bowl jock strap..

You annoyed me..

Joey Slugs
01-05-2006, 01:29 PM
Well, one thing is you claimed USC was gonna dominate, then after you were proved wrong, you've proceded to ride Vince Youngs testicals harder than his Rose Bowl jock strap..

You annoyed me..

Oh. boo hoo. I'm sssssssssoooooooooo sorry. Asshole.

I think 80% of people watching thought USC was going to win big. And it's not like they proved me wrong like this was some sort of trivia question.

I do believe I said "I'm guessing USC will win by..."

Like I said, my gf is a UT grad and I was pulling for them to win, even though I did think before the game that it would be a blowout.

You act like no one can ever be amazing by a game that they "predicted" wrong.

Fuck off.

Kris P Lettus
01-05-2006, 01:49 PM
Not really the score you predicted that bothers me, more of the

Originally Posted by Joey Slugs
this game will NOT live up to the hype.

LIVED

UP

TO

THE

HYPE

So you were pulling for a team, but saying the other was gonna dominate, only to be "amazed" by the preformance of the team you were secretly pulling for?? All the while saying it wasn't gonna be a good game??

Cause that's how you're coming off..

Jesus Shuttlesworth
01-05-2006, 02:24 PM
lol Who cares? I don't think he was like "USC WILL KILL TEXAS WATCH!!!! I LOVE USC"

I think he was just saying he thought USC was going dominate, then they didn't and that he was really impressed by Young.

Why can't people change their opinions? I don't understand why people need to be extremely stubborn when it comes to sports, he made a prediction and was wrong. Now he is giving praise to the game and a player.

Kris P Lettus
01-05-2006, 02:32 PM
I also made a prediction and was wrong (about the kicking game)..

I just find it funny that he never mentioned pulling for Texas until the game was over..

VonErich Lives
01-05-2006, 02:38 PM
Refs get it right, USC wins. I'm not bitter, really doesn't matter to me, it's nice to see Carrol win, but I'm not a "fan".

That being said, the refs blew a bunch of calls.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
01-05-2006, 02:46 PM
I don't see how the refs cost USC the game. The only thing they screwed up on was that one call with Vince's knee being down other than that I really don't see what else happened? I saw another missed call where a Texas played picked it off and had control but dropped it when his back hit the ground, so USC should have lost the ball there but didn't. The calls went both ways, saying Texas only won becuase of calls in their favor is hilarious.

Refs had nothing to do with Vince Young rushing for a 12 yard TD on 4th and 5 with 30 seconds left..that's what cost USC the game.

VonErich Lives
01-05-2006, 03:02 PM
I don't see how the refs cost USC the game. The only thing they screwed up on was that one call with Vince's knee being down other than that I really don't see what else happened? I saw another missed call where a Texas played picked it off and had control but dropped it when his back hit the ground, so USC should have lost the ball there but didn't. The calls went both ways, saying Texas only won becuase of calls in their favor is hilarious.

Refs had nothing to do with Vince Young rushing for a 12 yard TD on 4th and 5 with 30 seconds left..that's what cost USC the game.

Stima, chill... I'm not saying Texas got all the calls, but simple math, that TD should have been called back, maybe they would have scored, maybe not, maybe 30seconds more off the clock, maybe 2-3mins? You don't know, but plain and simple that TD shouldn't have been a TD.

Another one was the fumble by Bush, if you watch it was actually a fwd lateral, so it should have been dead, not a fumble. USC would have kept the ball, again, maybe they score, maybe they don't, but would have been more time off the clock.

The Refs (both ways) just seemed to have their heads up their ass.

Kris P Lettus
01-05-2006, 03:09 PM
Stima, chill... I'm not saying Texas got all the calls, but simple math, that TD should have been called back, maybe they would have scored, maybe not, maybe 30seconds more off the clock, maybe 2-3mins? You don't know, but plain and simple that TD shouldn't have been a TD.

Another one was the fumble by Bush, if you watch it was actually a fwd lateral, so it should have been dead, not a fumble. USC would have kept the ball, again, maybe they score, maybe they don't, but would have been more time off the clock.

The Refs (both ways) just seemed to have their heads up their ass.

There were several times this NFL season where the refs cost the Saints games.. Some examples:

-Rams taking the ball from Ernie Conwell and running it back in the final minutes, while Conwell was ON HIS F'N back holding up the ball to show the reception

-Falcon defender clearly going off the back of his line to block a game winning field goal

There are others.. Thing is, if a team plays better the whole game it's shouldn't come down to one call..

Jesus Shuttlesworth
01-05-2006, 03:24 PM
How can it be considered a foward laterall when the other team recorded it? If a QB is over the line of scrimmage and throws a INT, he's still an INT isn't it? It's also debatable wether or not that ball went foward or not.

And I don't need to "chill" I think it's dumb how you say USC would win if the calls where right in your first post, then your 2nd post is full of "Ifs"

IF that INT got called right, Texas would have had the ball and would have stopped USC from scoring, Texas could have scored again IF that call was right. IF Texas had the ball more time could have come off the clock too. I'm not flipping out here, it's just hilarious how 2 calls that went Texas's way automaticlly gave them the win, USC got calls too. Texas basically handed USC this game in the 1st quater and they couldn't do anything with it too. USC did not deserve to win.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
01-05-2006, 03:35 PM
I just find it funny that he never mentioned pulling for Texas until the game was over..He never said he was pulling for USC either though. Maybe he wasn't a fan of either and just got into the game while watching it? I don't see what the big deal is anyways, so he's not a huge Texas fan - he's not allowed to root for one of the two teams in the National Championship? You are kinda making something out of nothing here IMO

VonErich Lives
01-05-2006, 05:09 PM
How can it be considered a foward laterall when the other team recorded it? If a QB is over the line of scrimmage and throws a INT, he's still an INT isn't it? It's also debatable wether or not that ball went foward or not.

I'm pretty sure it isn't, if the QB crosses the line and throw the ball, it's a "forward laterall" and the play is dead.

There's a difference between fumbling and have it go fwd and a laterall or throwing motion.

Plain and simple the Refs sucked last night, not just for USC that is true. You'd just like to see better calls in a big game.

Krispy, I agree there are some NFL crews that are horrible, at least they allow challenges, although someone had a good point the other day, why limit the challenges, still have a penalty so someone doesn't abuse it as a time-out, but if a ref blows 5 calls, shouldn't they be able to correct all 5?

I dunno, I was always an anti-replay person, allow the "humaness" of the game... but now, is it right to decide a game or even a championship on a bad call? dunno...

Joey Slugs
01-05-2006, 06:00 PM
I think Krispy is still pissed about USC beating out LSU for the title.

Joey Slugs
01-05-2006, 06:07 PM
Holy Shit. UT can win this. 2:09 left. Down by 5. On their own 43.

Krispy. I WAS pulling for UT (I just thought SC would win), that's the reason for my "Holy Shit" comment towards the end of the game. Just because I didn't say I was 4 months ago means it's all bullshit? If I was in any way rooting on SC, don't you think I would bitched about the blown TD call and the fact that they should of punted on 4th down that late in the game?

Holy shit man, you need to get over yourself. Next time a big game like this comes around... I'll shoot you a PM just so you know who I'm rooting for.

BTW: I'm taking the Bears as NFC Champs. I'll be sure to remind you.

:y: for stima's back-up while I was gone.

Kris P Lettus
01-05-2006, 06:08 PM
It's actually pretty well documented that I hate LSU.. Yes, I am a SEC fan, so I'll pull for them outside the SEC but have a deep hatred for them when play any other SEC team..

Jesus Shuttlesworth
01-05-2006, 06:08 PM
It was the other way around...where LSU actaully won the BCS title game (beating Oklahoma) and USC won the AP poll

Kris P Lettus
01-05-2006, 06:09 PM
Krispy. I WAS pulling for UT (I just thought SC would win), that's the reason for my "Holy Shit" comment towards the end of the game. Just because I didn't say I was 4 months ago means it's all bullshit? If I was in any way rooting on SC, don't you think I would bitched about the blown TD call and the fact that they should of punted on 4th down that late in the game?

Holy shit man, you need to get over yourself. Next time a big game like this comes around... I'll shoot you a PM just so you know who I'm rooting for.

BTW: I'm taking the Bears as NFC Champs. I'll be sure to remind you.

:y: for stima's back-up while I was gone.

You came off as an annoying idiot in this thread..

Simple as..

Kris P Lettus
01-05-2006, 06:09 PM
It was the other way around...where LSU actaully won the BCS title game (beating Oklahoma) and USC won the AP poll

I thought that's how it went also..

Joey Slugs
01-05-2006, 06:30 PM
You came off as an annoying idiot in this thread..

Simple as..

I really don't give a shit. Get over it.

Corkscrewed
01-05-2006, 07:05 PM
We'll be back next year. Who knows, we might even make it to the championship game if Texas or OSU lose a game, since it's not a stretch that we'll go undefeated next year (Notre Dame's the only real challenge I see, and I think we have the talent to beat UCLA, Cal, and Oregon as long as our new guys play to their potential).

I wonder if Vince Young's cock is sore yet from all the love ESPN's suddenly given him. :lol:

Joey Slugs
01-05-2006, 07:08 PM
I wonder if Vince Young's cock is sore yet from all the love ESPN's suddenly given him. :lol:

They's been blowing him since last year's Rose Bowl.

Joey Slugs
01-05-2006, 07:09 PM
Just like they've been chain smoking the poles of everyone who plays for USC.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
01-05-2006, 07:28 PM
lol Instead of the usual "USC IS THE GREATEST COLLEGE TEAM EVER and lets pick them to beat every other great team in the history of college football"

Tommy Fraizer's lead Nebraska > USC

VonErich Lives
01-05-2006, 08:13 PM
I heard a clip on the radio earlier... Did Lienhart after the game really say on national TV. "We're still the better team" or something to that effect?

I dunno man... we might have another Ryan Leaf here...

punt
01-05-2006, 08:31 PM
Yep he did.

Hey, I just joined this thread. Trying to think of that guy's name ....... uhhhh ..... he is a pretty good ball player ..... uhhhhh ..... oh yeah, I remember. That Vince Young guy might end up making some cash! :D

Jesus Shuttlesworth
01-05-2006, 08:55 PM
I heard a clip on the radio earlier... Did Lienhart after the game really say on national TV. "We're still the better team" or something to that effect?

I dunno man... we might have another Ryan Leaf here...Yea he did, I think I made post about it in the CFBall thread.

I really don't know how he could say that, it wasn't like it was a fluke or something. I could see if they outgained Texas like 500-250yards or something but everything was pretty even.

Supreme Olajuwon
01-05-2006, 09:02 PM
- Right now, my national title game prediction is indeed Texas vs Ohio State. Penn State will be good next year and could knock OSU from the top of the Big 10, but we'll see. Right now, that's my call.

That'll be difficult to happen because they play each other again next year in the regular season but yeah I think they are the 2 best teams as of now.

Joey Slugs
01-05-2006, 09:15 PM

I dunno man... we might have another Ryan Leaf here...

Yes, he did
and
yes, we do

AlphaBean
01-05-2006, 11:06 PM
If you want to get semantic, USC has the better team. Top to bottom, huge talent.

And I'll say right now, while I love the dog, I always pull for the underdog no matter what (except vs MN teams), and this was no different. However, from what I had heard and seen, the Trojans were by far the greatest team in NCAA football. Like, they could beat an NFL team good. And, I figured this would be a blowout. I didn't see why not.

But I was wrong. And I admit it just as Joey Slugs admitted it. I talked to people online who said, it was going to be a blowout, plain and simple. Not a slugfest that came down to the final play. Not a 12 point deficit erased in 5 minutes. Just a shellacking. There's nothing stupid about thinking that USC would win, then admitting that Texas proved them wrong.

The entire defense of Texas went out of the game with cramps. They left everything on the field. You could tell a lot of USC players phoned it in, like they expected to win. Like they expected more calls. Leinart expected a flag on every defensed pass. And to be honest, the offensive line held the shit out of Texas.

But I won't get into this battle of refs. Fact is, USC had the better team, top to bottom. Better at every position, faster, stronger, but a lot of them saved themselves so they didn't get injured. Didn't want to be the next Willis McGahee. Did you notice Reggie Bush didn't touch the ball much at all the entire game? It pissed me off, but you don't want to risk your #1 status... but then, in the end... he lost it anyway.

USC, the better team, hands down... on offense, defense, special teams... but Texas had more heart... but more importantly, they had one thing USC didn't have: Vince Young. He threw like McNabb, ran like Vick and led like McNair in the 99 Superbowl. Except his team won :p

He outplayed the offense and defense of Southern Cal... So yes, USC has the better team... but Vince Young > the entire USC team.

And to Corkscrewed, with your 10,000,000 arguments about the game... shut up. You have no argument. Texas won. Vince Young dominated, and Reggie Bush was lined up as a receiver and never saw the ball come his way. Horrible gameplan, overconfidence, and Leinart being exposed for the overrated hack he is. No argument. The game is over, the streak is over, the Dynasty is over. Sorry. Reggie Bush is #2 overall. :wavesad:

Jesus Shuttlesworth
01-05-2006, 11:48 PM
How is USC top to bottom better at every position? Like how can you even say that? That is EXTREMELY debateable. USC kills them at the RB spot, but I'm not seeing more talent in other positions, I'd say they are pretty much equal.

All 4 of the Texas DBs are NFL material, All 5 of the Offensive lineman, the Texas TE had over 10 grabs last night and the list goes on. Everyone just hears how good USC is all the time and just assume they have the best talent, I dunno about all that. Texas is FROM Texas after, where High School football is life.

AlphaBean
01-06-2006, 02:08 AM
I'm talking they are better as in Madden better... they'd be rated higher. Faster, bigger, stronger (in my opinion). I just saw them do what they wanted when they wanted... but then you see shit like that TE for Texas dive from his knees for that grab, and the defenders getting IVs put in them from dehydration, and you're right... football is life to them. So they left it all on the field, and ended up winning, because it took everything they had to win. It was very sexy.

But yeah as I said, Madden better... they'd have better speed, strength, and all that, USC would... these guys on USC are all rated like, top of the country... I dunno, the defense for Texas didn't impress me... no pass rush, couldn't really stop USC's #1 WR or Reggie Bush... but they had nonstop hustle... at the end where they're like "Well this guy right here, he's a freshman stepping in since everyone else is on the sideline," and he worked his ass off as well.

That Sweed kid is pretty good, but the USC WR was sick. Texas has no running game (compared to Bush and White), and USC had a consistent pass rush, which Texas didn't seem to have. The secondaries seemed equal to me (both got shredded -- and with I think three high picks in the USC secondary, they played horribly)... the kicking position is definitely unequal... and as far as I know, Leinart is the defending Heisman winner and supposedly the best QB in the country. Doesn't mean he's a better leader, athlete or competitor than Vince Young... but hey... he's a great QB! (so I've heard)...

But you are right that it's debatable... that it's all hype... I guess I'm going off the assumption that most of the hype has grounds in reality, though who knows.

Splaya
01-06-2006, 02:17 AM
You know, to say the refs blew it is assinine. Here's the thing, did the ref's blow it when Texas would have been faced with 4th down and about 4 but instead because a USC player gets called for pulling on a facemask of a Texas player, Texas has a first down. The refs did not blow the game, USC blew the game

AlphaBean
01-06-2006, 02:25 AM
That interception that wasn't reviewed, that first scoring drive that was kept alive by a facemask by Texas, see, there were things on both sides. And who's to say the lateral, had it been ruled down, wouldn't have been followed by another TD? If you go in and change one thing, you need to change everything. It could have ended up a 75-35 blowout win for Texas had that one play been reversed, you never know.

Stephen Hawking told me.

Splaya
01-06-2006, 03:35 AM
Also let's realize that on the 4th and 1 play, where was Reggie Bush.

Oh yeah, I'm sorry, the sideline.

Supreme Olajuwon
01-06-2006, 03:45 AM
I would've at least had Bush and White split in the backfield to force the defense to play honest but I would've given White the ball too in that situation. That's the type of play he's built for.

Pete Carroll did a fine job. He didn't coach poorly, he just got outmatched by Vince Young.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
01-06-2006, 03:00 PM
Not Madden good? lol...You do realize Texas has the best defensive backfield in the country - Huff won the Thrope, and the rest are all NFL prospects. Texas probably has the best offensive line too. I'm sure they are all going to be "Madden good" Texas has just as many 5 stars recruits as USC. Texas kids aren't just life or death with football, they are extremely good at it too.

And the thing about not trying, I dunno about all that. I don't USC came into this game thinking they were going to win easy or something. Even though people felt they were going to win, it wasn't like people felt it was going to be a cake walk. And saying Reggie Bush didn't go all out because he didn't wanna end up like McGahee is funny, you can't play football trying not to get hurt because that's when you do. Everyone is acting like Reggie had a terrible game or something, 85 yards rushing 95 recieving. Not a bad day at the office. Yeah - he didn't put up 400 total yards of offense but you know why? He wasn't playing Frenso State, or Cal, or Washington. He was playing Texas, one of the best defense's in the country.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
01-06-2006, 03:01 PM
And for that 4th down play, I would have lined up Bush in the slot, and LenDale in the backfield. Then gave it to White while having Bush come around on a fake slot reverse.

McLegend
01-06-2006, 03:08 PM
I tought the bad coaching decision was calling the timout on the 2 point conversion. There was no way you were going to stop Vince Young from getting two yards no matter what defense you had set up.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
01-06-2006, 05:19 PM
Yeah that was a dumb move because then on the last drive you could have done a lot more with that timeout. Its easy to say that now tho

DrA
01-06-2006, 05:54 PM
And I'll say right now, while I love the dog, I always pull for the underdog no matter what (except vs MN teams), and this was no different. However, from what I had heard and seen, the Trojans were by far the greatest team in NCAA football. Like, they could beat an NFL team good. And, I figured this would be a blowout. I didn't see why not.

As good as USC is, they could not (nor could any other college team) beat an NFL team. Not even the Texans.

I'm talking they are better as in Madden better... they'd be rated higher.

Madden, as in the game? What the hell does their rating on a computerized video game have to do with their overall talent?

I think you need to get a few college games under your belt before you can go off and consider yourself "an expert" and catergorize players as better or worse.

The Outlaw
01-06-2006, 06:11 PM
Good thing I'm at home so I don't have to listen to ESPN suck Vince Young's penis.

Could you kindly explain to me how that would be a bad thing? All we have heard ever since we knew it would be UT - USC is how USC is going to dominate, USC is the best team ever, USC could beat any team from the past, Reggie Bush is the chosen one, etc. etc. etc. USC '05 were a media's dream. They milked it for all they could. Vince Young and Texas got zero publicity whatsoever compared to God's team, and that was probably a good thing for Texas. Even after the game I saw more interviews with Leinart, bush, White, etc. It was like they couldn't believe they got beat and couldn't believe that THEY were wrong.

I think Krispy is still pissed about USC beating out LSU for the title.

LSU won the BCS National Championship that year (which is what I consider the outright NC). That's why I don't like the whole "three-pete" talk and think it's BS. In 2003, LSU won the BCS National Championship. The Associated Press, part of the BCS formula, voted USC No. 1 and that was figured into the final BCS standings to select the two championship game teams. The AP did not pull out of the BCS until well after the bowl games. How can Pete Carroll embrace the BCS when it favors his team but "thumb his nose" at it when it doesn't? I guess, if the AP were to vote the Trojans the 2005 national champs, he would "thumb his nose" at the BCS again.To claim an AP National Championship is bogus in my mind. That would be like me claiming we have won 17, when we only have 12.

Refs get it right, USC wins. I'm not bitter, really doesn't matter to me, it's nice to see Carrol win, but I'm not a "fan".

That being said, the refs blew a bunch of calls.

Come on, are you serious?

Jesus Shuttlesworth
01-06-2006, 09:34 PM
No, USC did win the National Title fair and share, they didn't win the BCS game but they were on top of the AP poll so that makes a National Champ. I think Auburn should have been a split last year but they weren't voted on top of the AP poll, for whatever reasons. Back before the BCS they used be split champions here and there because there wasn't actaully a title game, you just went to whatever bowl game that your conference was tied with.

AlphaBean
01-07-2006, 09:46 AM
As good as USC is, they could not (nor could any other college team) beat an NFL team. Not even the Texans.

Madden, as in the game? What the hell does their rating on a computerized video game have to do with their overall talent?

I think you need to get a few college games under your belt before you can go off and consider yourself "an expert" and catergorize players as better or worse.

Now take into consideration, you have the fastest, strongest, dumb as an ox player. Would he make an NFL team?

Brock Lesnar, anyone?

Now, you put this player on Madden, and regardless of football intelligence or ability to play the game, he will dominate. Strength and speed and agility and physical attributes in general are what matter -- not football skill. Of course, Lesnar is the exception to this rule, as Madden screwed him to compensate for his inability to play football. His speed, agility, jumping, strength have all been understated to justify him being in the game without being an elite player.

And I've never considered myself an expert. All I know is what I saw on the field. But instead of putting up an argument, all you did is insult. That pretty much tells me you don't know anything, but I made you mad. That's okay, I understand.

But if you can't tell hyperbole when you see it, friend, then maybe you should get a few phonics books under your belt before you post on an internet message board.

AlphaBean
01-07-2006, 09:57 AM
Not Madden good? lol...You do realize Texas has the best defensive backfield in the country - Huff won the Thrope, and the rest are all NFL prospects. Texas probably has the best offensive line too. I'm sure they are all going to be "Madden good" Texas has just as many 5 stars recruits as USC. Texas kids aren't just life or death with football, they are extremely good at it too.

And the thing about not trying, I dunno about all that. I don't USC came into this game thinking they were going to win easy or something. Even though people felt they were going to win, it wasn't like people felt it was going to be a cake walk. And saying Reggie Bush didn't go all out because he didn't wanna end up like McGahee is funny, you can't play football trying not to get hurt because that's when you do. Everyone is acting like Reggie had a terrible game or something, 85 yards rushing 95 recieving. Not a bad day at the office. Yeah - he didn't put up 400 total yards of offense but you know why? He wasn't playing Frenso State, or Cal, or Washington. He was playing Texas, one of the best defense's in the country.

I wasn't talking about Bush -- it just seems like it because he's the HB meant to go #1... well, shit, maybe I was talking about Bush, but he did run hard and all, but he just wasn't used enough. Like, pounding the ball with White was meant to wear the Texas defense down -- and it did.

Which brings me to my next point: Since I am not an "expert" at college ball, it just seemed like Texas was way overmatched. Like the receivers of USC were blocking like O-Linemen, and the Texas defense just didn't seem to be in the same league. Maybe overall I am wrong, but in that game, that's my observation... I was making an argument for Leinart, but I see your point. I mean, I still feel USC had the better talent... but then, what do I know? :'(

PS: I never saw Rodrique Wright playing. He just surpassed Kelly Gregg and Norman Hand on my DT rotation on Madden. I've read conflicting reports about how good he is... thoughts?

AlphaBean
01-07-2006, 10:01 AM
I would've at least had Bush and White split in the backfield to force the defense to play honest but I would've given White the ball too in that situation. That's the type of play he's built for.

Pete Carroll did a fine job. He didn't coach poorly, he just got outmatched by Vince Young.

More people need to do that. Power and Glory, Thunder and Lightning... teams without a "complete back" should get one solid, strong, good blocker, and one athletic playmaker. You can run it up the middle, run it outside, use the power back as a lead blocker, run a swing with the speed back while the power stays back and blocks... c'mon, it's so easy. Julius Jones and Marion Barber, baby.

err, off topic. nevermind.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
01-07-2006, 11:32 AM
Texas and USC both had 7 All Americans this year.

And Rod Wright is a sick motherfucker, he'll be going 1st round.

The Outlaw
01-07-2006, 04:02 PM
No, USC did win the National Title fair and share, they didn't win the BCS game but they were on top of the AP poll so that makes a National Champ. I think Auburn should have been a split last year but they weren't voted on top of the AP poll, for whatever reasons. Back before the BCS they used be split champions here and there because there wasn't actaully a title game, you just went to whatever bowl game that your conference was tied with.

I guess we just agree to disagree then.

Auburn were '04-'05 Eufaula Tribune National Champions though. They got rings and a parade and everything I'm pretty sure, haha. This happening after the starter of the poll basically fixed it so Auburn could win. Pretty ridiculous. I do think last year was a PERFECT situation to realize that we needed a playoff. Four undefeated teams. I don't care what conference you're in, if you go the whole season unblemished, you deserve a shot. This includes Utah as well.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
01-07-2006, 04:53 PM
The BCS was probably so happy when Pitt won the weak Big East last year so they could put Utah up againest them so it wouldn't really prove anything when Utah won. Then again, people felt the Big East was weak this year and their champion did beat the SEC champ so who knows. That's why they play the games.

The Outlaw
01-07-2006, 06:25 PM
Yeah, Georgia put on a pretty :-\ show the first half or so. Seemed like a lot of teams just waited too long to show up at the bowl games.