PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Chris Benoit?

Mr. Nerfect
01-28-2006, 05:56 AM
Rey, Rey, Rey, that's all I hear when I hear Royal Rumble discussion. I poo-pooed the concepts of Triple H & Randy Orton winning, and although I wouldn't put it past the WWE, I think we will see a face win, even if it is just for the memory of Eddie Guerrero. I mean, you have Randy Orton in there with Kane last, Orton eliminates Kane, how does that make you feel? You feel a little disappointed the good guy didn't win. It would probably follow you down to Randy Orton & Psicosis as the last guys with Orton winning. The face should win the Rumble, unless there is some other point to the match (see: Ric Flair, 1992).

I don't think Rey Mysterio will win, though. Have you watched SmackDown! recently? I think the last time the guy won a match (and I'm being serious here) was when he and Batista won the WWE Tag Team Championship from MNM last year. Him winning now basically makes things look like this in the marks' eyes: Kurt Angle>Mark Henry>Rey Mysterio. And you can probably put more people between Angle & Mysterio if you wanted to. I'm not trying to shit over Mysterio here, but why all the sudden attention for Rey Mysterio, especially when his stock has been decreasing each week with the constant losses he suffers.

On the other hand, you have another guy, who is actually on the rise. A guy by the name of Chris Benoit, who has actually won the Royal Rumble before, from the #1 position no less, and went on to win the World Heavyweight Championship that same year, and shared an emotional moment with Eddie Guerrero to close the show. Some people say that moment could have closed wrestling.

I don't know what I am angry about, because I don't hate the performers. I just don't like the way everywhere I've looked the talk and focus seems to be on Mysterio as Rumble Winner, and not on Benoit pulling out the repeat win, which I honestly think would be better for the business. Maybe I'm not completely filled-in on the Eddie-Rey relationship, but aren't Eddie-Benoit good friends as well? Eddie-Benoit makes more sense from a kayfabe point of view as well. I mean Eddie Guerrero (bless his soul) did try and take Rey's kid from him for a better part of 2005. Does it make sense to waste everyone's year like that by retconning it? I'm not trying to say Eddie Guerrero's real life and memory should be put aside for the theatrical side of things, but the show does run smoother with a Benoit as Eddie's Tribute Champion.

Rey Mysterio will get a run with the belt, but I don't think it will be, or think it should be, as Eddie Guerrero's respresentative. Maybe I'm coming off insensitive, but that is not my intention.

Image this scene:

Chris Benoit and Kurt Angle have worked their magic, and Chris Benoit has made Kurt Angle submit to become the first-ever two-time World Heavyweight Champion not named Triple H. The celebrations begin, streamers and pyros go off and Benoit is standing alone in the ring. A clip on the titantron plays of WrestleMania XX where Benoit won his first World Heavyweight Championship and Eddie Guerrero ran down with the WWE Title belt and the two hugged...but there's no one to hug Chris Benoit tonight.

That would be a perfect end to WrestleMania 22, in my opinion, and it doesn't take the risk of people scoffing at Mysterio's size and tuning out of the WrestleMania season due to disbelief of his character. Benoit may not be much bigger, but the difference is he's done it before.

Chris Benoit also beat Randy Orton on SmackDown! this week, decisively. Orton is the other guy at the top of most people's lists for predicted 2006 Royal Rumble Winner.

I'm not trying to hurt people's opinions of Rey Mysterio, or raise people's opinions of Chris Benoit, here, I'm just curious as to why people have crossed Benoit off the lists when he is more accomplished in the ring, has been on more of a roll and has just as much connection to Eddie Guerrero (maybe I'm missing something about Eddie's & Rey's past). I'm not trying to say Benoit's better than Mysterio, but I do think he would make a better choice as Royal Rumble Winner, and I am interested to see why other people don't agree.

Mr. Nerfect
01-28-2006, 05:58 AM
Re-reading that, I sounded kinda agressive, plus that was longer than what I envisioned it being:

Short Post: Why do so many people seem to think Rey Mysterio is going to win the 2006 Royal Rumble, while only a handful seem to think Chris Benoit has a shot. This becomes even more clouded when I look at both men's recent participation on SmackDown!.

Y3J
01-28-2006, 07:20 AM
Shorter Post: I think because Benoit has been in a feud with Booker T for the US title and Rey has been/was partnering Batista (the then WHC) in the main events of PPV's and last week was in a No. 1 contenders match.

Pinnacle Charisma
01-28-2006, 08:57 AM
Randy Fucking Orton will win it.

Serousilly in the next one or two years the only people they will be pusing to main event level will be orton, Cena, Bats, Angle, UT, HHH and possibly Kennedy

King Jericho
01-28-2006, 09:24 AM
They won't let Benoit win it again, though the prospect of an Angle/Benoit clinic at Wrestlemania would be down right fucking awesome (and as I'm going, then I'll be marking like a little fucking bitch) but if Benoit won, they would have to turn Angle or Benoit heel, and as Angle is pretty much face right now, turning Benoit would be a bit pointless. Though they turned Angle Heel/Face pretty quick in order for him to win the Heavyweight Championship.

Orton or Rey are the only two guys I see winning it. And I say Rey because Orton has already been Champ, and doesn't really need a Rumble Victory to 'push him into main event' when no-doubt he'll be there anyway after Mania. But who knows.

King Jericho
01-28-2006, 09:27 AM
Though the WWE do seem mighty high on Orton, but the recent surge of Mysterio losses, could be a plan to make him look on a low, then have him come back and win the Rumble, total Underdog style and make it look even more....underdogish.

Kane Knight
01-28-2006, 10:34 AM
Re-reading that, I sounded kinda agressive, plus that was longer than what I envisioned it being:

Short Post: Why do so many people seem to think Rey Mysterio is going to win the 2006 Royal Rumble, while only a handful seem to think Chris Benoit has a shot. This becomes even more clouded when I look at both men's recent participation on SmackDown!.

Because Benoit's had little mention of it, while RMJ has gone so far as to dedicate his RR victory to Meester G.

Kane Knight
01-28-2006, 10:42 AM
then have him come back and win the Rumble, total Underdog style

What does Taker's Dog have to do with this? :?:

King Jericho
01-28-2006, 10:46 AM
He got covered in Bob Orton's blood and Taker is pretty ticked.

Savio
01-28-2006, 11:40 AM
It'll be down to Booker and Orton only 1 more guy to come out. Orton says "I got this and tells booker to leave" Booker will leave reluctantly. After booker walks up the ramp you hear a gong and its the Undertaker, Orton fraks out but elimintates him.......and faces Cena at mania :?:.

The Heat
01-28-2006, 05:11 PM
Chris Benoit deserves it, no doubt. But, Mysterio is more likely than Benoit to win. I'm not sure, but, I think awhile back on WWE.com, Chavo Guerrero actually was gonna dedicate his win @ Rumble to Guerrero family. Either way, someone "dedicating" the match to the Guerrero legacy will lose.

Orton will probably win though.

UmbrellaCorporation
01-28-2006, 05:27 PM
If Rey wins the rumble, my television is going out the second story window.

True story. He might be a huge draw for WWE, but I don't see what's so great about Mysterio.

The Heat
01-28-2006, 05:53 PM
If Rey wins the rumble, my television is going out the second story window.

True story. He might be a huge draw for WWE, but I don't see what's so great about Mysterio.

Where to start? I actually used to be opposed to the whole Rey Mysterio as World Champ thing too. Until they started bringing in guys like Heidenreich, Animal, and Mark Henry. Rey Mysterio is WAY better than these guys and has the underdog thing going for him.

He's amazing in the ring and can do things no other has done. The only guy that could come close to pulling off Mysterio-type moves is RVD and he's RAW property. SmackDown has a major shortage of stars with Guerrero dying, Christian jumping to TNA, and Batista being injured. Bringing Angle back to SD as their champion was a good move though.

Hey, if Mysterio wins, that's still better than Triple H winning....AGAIN.

Innovator
01-28-2006, 06:25 PM
He got covered in Bob Orton's blood and Taker is pretty ticked.You'd be pissed too if you were covered in hepititis

The Heat
01-28-2006, 06:30 PM
I'd be pissed too if you were covered in hepititis

:lol:

Eunos
01-28-2006, 06:55 PM
All these People who say Rey Rey isnt winning the Rumble are idiots..

Even before Eddie's death they've been teasing him being a title contender..

I for one aint got a problem with the Little Guy winning the big one.

A welcome change if you ask me.

Also im a big fan of Benoit but unfortunatly i think his momment of fame :(
Id be happy to see him win though, Im really not interested in seeing HHH or Orton as this years Rumble winners.

UmbrellaCorporation
01-28-2006, 06:55 PM
Where to start? I actually used to be opposed to the whole Rey Mysterio as World Champ thing too. Until they started bringing in guys like Heidenreich, Animal, and Mark Henry. Rey Mysterio is WAY better than these guys and has the underdog thing going for him.

He's amazing in the ring and can do things no other has done. The only guy that could come close to pulling off Mysterio-type moves is RVD and he's RAW property. SmackDown has a major shortage of stars with Guerrero dying, Christian jumping to TNA, and Batista being injured. Bringing Angle back to SD as their champion was a good move though.

Hey, if Mysterio wins, that's still better than Triple H winning....AGAIN.

I'm a HUGE Triple H mark, so I'd like to see him win it, even if it IS repetitive. Just personal tastes though. :p

But definitely touché about Mysterio having more ability than people like Henry or Animal. No arguments there whatsoever. :D

Mr. Nerfect
01-28-2006, 07:10 PM

Id be happy to see him win though, Im really not interested in seeing HHH or Orton as this years Rumble winners.

Have you actually watched SmackDown! recently? Mysterio has been made to look like a third-rate main eventer. He has been the guy they've been feeding to Mark Henry to make him look good. Mysterio is a main eventer, IMO, but he's not the guy they're going to push to the moon this year. Next year, perhaps, but if the WWE give Mysterio the Rumble win and expect people to take it seriously, they should have had him defeat Henry on SmackDown! this week, instead of being his bitch for the third week in the row.

Benoit, while being involved in the US Title scene, has been moving forward heading into the Rumble.

I remember when Chris Benoit won the 2004 Royal Rumble I thought "Now that they've gone the full distance with Chris Benoit, whenever they have a fall-through with some plans, they can just go back to this guy and re-build him". I think this year is as good as any to re-use Benoit to his fullest, especially with TNA after the guy.

Rumours said the WWE made Benoit an offer he couldn't refuse. Benoit doesn't seem like the guy to be all fussed about money. He left WCW didn't he? I can see the WWE offering Benoit another year at the top if he stuck around.

Orton could win, with another Benoit vs. Orton match taking place at No Way Out for the Rumble spot (as Benoit has been made to look better than Orton lately), but I still proclaim a face should win the Rumble. It sort of sets a good vibe for the year.

I'm still going to be putting my metaphorical money on Benoit to take this year's Rumble. He may not have openly dedicated the match to Eddie Guerrero, but all he needs to do is wear an Eddie armband, or show his video-segment on the Eddie Tribute Week to get the point across.

I'm not saying Rey WON'T win the Royal Rumble. I just A) don't think it will work out the way people seem to think it will and B) see an even more capable performer with an equal background story and more momentum built heading into the match. Plus, who really would be surprised if Mysterio won the Rumble? Everyone has put him as a second or third candidate to win this year's Rumble, AT LEAST (generalising). Benoit winning will at least make people stare in disbelief for a while at what they're seeing. Another year with Chris Benoit on top. Plus what better main event than Kurt Angle vs. Chris Benoit? If you have nothing planned, may as well go for the best from a quality standpoint.

If they do get Hulk Hogan vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin on the card, that's Angle vs. Benoit and Hogan vs. Austin. One to draw, and one with unmatched quality. Pretty good Mania if you ask me.

Kane Knight
01-28-2006, 10:14 PM

Oh, wow, they've never teased a guy as a contender before, only to NOT USE THEM AS ONE.

Savio
01-28-2006, 10:47 PM
Chris Benoit deserves it, no doubt. But, Mysterio is more likely than Benoit to win. I'm not sure, but, I think awhile back on WWE.com, Chavo Guerrero actually was gonna dedicate his win @ Rumble to Guerrero family. Either way, someone "dedicating" the match to the Guerrero legacy will lose.

Orton will probably win though.there were 2 winners before.

mrslackalack
01-28-2006, 11:58 PM
I remember on a Nitro in 99 when Rey fought Flair for the World Title and how much the crowd was into it and gasping each time Rey got 2 and a half on Flair.