PDA

View Full Version : Auf Der Maur rocks with old friends on new CD

Kane Knight
01-31-2006, 08:59 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060131/music_nm/aufdermaur_dc;_ylt=AmNpLtRpDpxmSRsABLTrSm6VEhkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBjMHVqMTQ4BHNlYwN5bnN1YmNhdA

Melissa Auf Der Maur is recording hew new album with the help of some old friends, including former Smashing Pumpkins bandmate Billy Corgan.
After spending most of last year writing material, Auf Der Maur told Billboard.com she recently recorded a song each with Corgan and producer Gavin Brown for her sophomore Capitol album. But she has opted to complete the album in Ontario with her "oldest friends," Steve Durand and Jordon Zadorozny, her colleagues in the 1990s Canadian rock outfit Tinker.
"I went in to innocently make some demos with them, but by the end of (last) summer, I started realizing that material was more genuine," she said.
She was particularly enthused by the track "Out of Our Minds," which she wrote with Durand, Zadorozny and drummer Vince Nudo.
"That's a good example of a song that came from an off-time drum-and-bass thing and the guitar came in doing its own thing accidentally," she said. "It was literally jamming. I haven't jammed since the early '90s!"
The as-yet-untitled album is the follow-up to Auf Der Maur's 2004 self-titled debut, which sold about 35,000 copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan. A late 2006 release date is being targeted, but Auf Der Maur admitted, "Who the hell knows? At the very least I've got to be on tour. Now that the vision is solidifying, I think I should be able to get it out.
"I genuinely believe that I have to make this the best it can possibly be, because in many ways I see it as my first real record," she added. "The last one was sort of like glorified demos from years before I even made it. It was dated. It was almost like my little baby beginning. Now, this is my much more hard-at-work, mature effort."
Reuters/Billboard

FakeLaser
01-31-2006, 09:11 AM
Saw her in concert last year, put on a decent show.

Whatever happened to the Smashing Pumpkins reunion rumors?

Kane Knight
01-31-2006, 09:14 AM
It wasn't a rumour, Corgan was trying to get them back together. Even ran a rather large ad.

Guess the rest of the lot weren't havign it, though.

Cactus Sid
01-31-2006, 10:24 AM
Well, I've heard Melissa would consider it (D'Arcy is probably too fucked off her face to notice) and Jimmy would obviously do it.

Are APC still going? I don't think James Iha would really want to do a Pumpkins reunion tour, but you never know.

Mr. Monday Morning
01-31-2006, 12:34 PM
APC are on hiatus while Maynard is out with Tool this year

El Vaquero de Infierno
01-31-2006, 05:05 PM
I don't know why I bought her first album as it was a big bag of shite all round, except for maybe one or two songs.

Rob
02-04-2006, 09:14 PM
I dunno. I liked it.

The Mask
02-04-2006, 09:22 PM
oh god. i like one of the same albums as harvey. :'(

Rob
02-04-2006, 09:25 PM
You like more than one dude.

The Mask
02-04-2006, 09:26 PM
like what

Rob
02-04-2006, 09:32 PM
What do you like?

The Mask
02-04-2006, 09:34 PM
eeerm. nirvana, led zeppelin, tool, APC. shite like that, then you get into my other tastes which are all a bit bizarre and all over the shop

Rob
02-04-2006, 09:37 PM
Erm.. maybe not then :p

Nah I'm sure there's something. I can't be fucked to think of anything I own right now though. Last CD I bought was Sneaker Pimps - Becoming X and that's like NOTHING I already own.

Kane Knight
02-04-2006, 09:45 PM
I don't know why I bought her first album as it was a big bag of shite all round, except for maybe one or two songs.

Wasn't that bad, but I expected more.

The Mask
02-04-2006, 09:47 PM
Erm.. maybe not then :p

Nah I'm sure there's something. I can't be fucked to think of anything I own right now though. Last CD I bought was Sneaker Pimps - Becoming X and that's like NOTHING I already own.

thank god for that

Rob
02-05-2006, 08:24 PM
I could say the same about you.