PDA

View Full Version : Hogan during the NWO days.

Stickman
02-05-2006, 01:01 PM
Back in the day when the NWO was runnin' wild, Hogan very rarely wrestled on anything but PPV from what I can remember. Mind you, I didnt' get all the WCW shows either. I know he's far from great in the ring, but during that time, how were his matches. With him being a heel his matches would probably be more interesting because he could cheat and whatnot. So, were his matches any good during that time, or was it just overblown NWO is on top kinda shit?

PullMyFinger
02-05-2006, 01:10 PM
They were decent..toward the end of the original nWo though...his matches were bloody horrible.

Warrior vs. Hogan at Halloween Havoc is a great example. Hogan would be entertaining, but holy shit...sometimes it did seem like Wheel Chair Wrestling completely!

McLegend
02-05-2006, 01:19 PM
Hogan's best match in WCW was on Nitro agaisnt Goldberg IMO. Every another Hogan match was pretty bad and never lived up to the Hype.

PullMyFinger
02-05-2006, 01:21 PM
lol I remember that...what I still don't get it why they did that on Nitro instead of a major build up for a PPV.

Whatever, it certainly got my attention and that's why I didn't watch Raw's main event.

McLegend
02-05-2006, 01:23 PM
WCW was stupid thats why they didn't make it a PPV match.

Chuck Jones
02-05-2006, 03:34 PM
Its called hotshoting. WCW made in an artform in 1998. They just wanted one week where they would beat RAW in the ratings, so they gave away those matches for free.

McLegend
02-05-2006, 03:38 PM
I hit the nail right on head when I said it was stupid. It still was the best moment in WCW history though.

Savio
02-05-2006, 03:49 PM
Did they do the rematch at a PPV?

Disturbed316
02-05-2006, 04:17 PM
The Sting/Hogan feud was fucking amazing untill the actual match happened.

Sting Fan
02-05-2006, 05:33 PM
In defense of Starcade 97 Hogans knees were shot and Sting would have had some mad ring rust.

And as for the GOldberg vs. Hogan Nitro match, Goldberg and Hogan gelled well with both guys holding up there end of the match and Goldberg threw in some nice variations if I remember right. I have actualy defended Goldberg a lot lately as he is not as horrible as many would have you beleive. The same can be said for Hogan just not as often.

LK
02-05-2006, 05:41 PM
lol I remember that...what I still don't get it why they did that on Nitro instead of a major build up for a PPV.
I have heard people say that they did it on Nitro, simply cause they were so desperate to beat Raw in the ratings and that was always the number one priority of WCW.

Disturbed316
02-05-2006, 05:49 PM
In defense of Starcade 97 Hogans knees were shot and Sting would have had some mad ring rust.

The complete what the fuck up of the ending didn't help.

Loose Cannon
02-05-2006, 06:39 PM
I have heard people say that they did it on Nitro, simply cause they were so desperate to beat Raw in the ratings and that was always the number one priority of WCW.

yep, that is correct

PullMyFinger
02-05-2006, 07:22 PM
Well building it up slowly probably would've helped them beat Raw in a string of weeks in the ratings - who knows.

Yeah, Starrcade 97...WTF was up with that?!

Starrcade 98 was even worse!

Ninti the Mad
02-06-2006, 01:45 AM
Hogan was awesome during the nwo run.

His wrestling inability was overshadowed by the pure awesomeness of playing a massive heel stable that completely decimated things.

When they made the wolfpac though... :|

Chico
02-06-2006, 07:20 AM
Most of Hogan's matches were overbooked, everyone from the nWo runs in snorefests. But his better matches during that time usually seemed to be in matches he lost (eg vs Goldberg on Nitro, and vs Flair in the barbed wire cage at Uncensored).

owenbrown
02-06-2006, 10:45 AM
Well building it up slowly probably would've helped them beat Raw in a string of weeks in the ratings - who knows.

That AND the aftermath of Starrcade 98 not long after.:shifty:

FUCKING FINGERPOKE OF DOOM!!!! :mad: :rant: :foc:

FourFifty
02-06-2006, 11:42 AM
The Finger Poke of doom is better than the nothing at all from Trash at the Beach 2000.

PullMyFinger
02-06-2006, 03:57 PM
Bash at the Beach 2000 was great IMO. I got to see the most fucked up shit in the wrestling world that night which is still talked about even today!

Anybody Thrilla
02-06-2006, 06:20 PM
I think it's safe to say that Horace was the REAL talent from the Hogan family. :shifty:

Loose Cannon
02-06-2006, 08:12 PM
I might be the only Wolfpac fan on the boards. Well I only liked the Nash, K-Dawg, Savage team. Cause it was pretty sweet when they turned thier backs on Hollywood.

The Heat
02-07-2006, 12:59 AM

Starrcade 99 wasn't much better. Bret Hart vs. Goldberg=end of Bret's wrestling career :nono: .

As far as the topic goes, Hogan was better, IMO in NWO then in his entire career. His matches were better and he was way more entertaining. Of course, this didn't always apply. Too many run-ins and the eventually nWo outnumbered WCW 3 to 1. That's when WCW went down. And as far as the Hogan/Warrior match, that could be attributed to Warrior's lack of in-ring ability and psychology. He simply didn't know what to do and not even a technical wrestler[such as Benoit] could have carried Warrior to a good match.