PDA

View Full Version : Is wrestling getting too young?

PullMyFinger
02-18-2006, 03:02 PM
Sometimes, when I think about it...is wrestling getting too young? Meaning, I'm all for young stars and all, but back in the 80s and 90s (counting from when wrestling became popular and mainstream)...most wrestlers were a lot older, esp the main eventers. Nowadays in WWE most people are like 23-26..and they win the Championship already.

I think this in fact hurts the industry somewhat. I mean nowadays people aren't even paying their dues, and are being rushed to the top immediately with little to no experience. I sorta think that's why since Attitude Era, WWE really hasn't had a "big breakout" star. The Rock was just one of those young wrestlers that worked out...but nowadays they're pushing Chris Masters, Randy Orton, and others to the top too fast. Randy Orton though was pretty kickass back in Evolution, but ever since his first title victory face turn ejaculation..he hasn't been the same.

What Would Kevin Do?
02-18-2006, 03:17 PM
It's because they haven't built anyone up.

They basically have old people who are over, middle aged people who aren't because they haven't been booked right, and then a bunch of new guys. At least if they make the new guys big now, in the next few years we'll have a better main event seen as more fresh faces come in.

Kane Knight
02-18-2006, 03:56 PM
What WWKD said.

If they hadn't been squashing people and worring about only the main eventers and egos, we wouldn't be in this situation.

Xero
02-18-2006, 04:02 PM
It's because they haven't built anyone up.

They basically have old people who are over, middle aged people who aren't because they haven't been booked right, and then a bunch of new guys. At least if they make the new guys big now, in the next few years we'll have a better main event seen as more fresh faces come in.
Exactly. The WWE should have been building 2006's main eventers around 2000-2001. The only one who has really made it is Edge.

Guys like Venis, Christian, RVD, etc should be main eventing. But since the WWE was wasting their money to bring in old guys who couln't do shit, and bringing them to the main event, everyone else was buried,and the WWE basically have basically fucked themselves for the time being.

The problem with WWE now is that they don't book for the long-term. Only the highest profile feuds get long-term plans, and even then it doesn't happen often. They shoot their load just when someone is getting over and lose all their heat.

Londoner
02-18-2006, 04:19 PM
John Cena's name just has to be mentioned in this thread, he's a perfect description of what you guys are on about.Too young/pushed too fast and as a result, he has been getting x-pac heat.(though this could be called John Cena heat now)

Kane Knight
02-18-2006, 04:22 PM
Venis shouldn't main event. I love the guy, but he doesn't belong on that list. However, RVD has "it." Christian has "it."

Kane Knight
02-18-2006, 04:23 PM
John Cena's name just has to be mentioned in this thread, he's a perfect description of what you guys are on about.Too young/pushed too fast and as a result, he has been getting x-pac heat.(though this could be called John Cena heat now)

It's not that he was pushed too fast, it's that they changed his gimmick. Cena could be carrying this company right now.

Xero
02-18-2006, 04:24 PM
Venis shouldn't main event. I love the guy, but he doesn't belong on that list. However, RVD has "it." Christian has "it."
With the proper build they could have built him to main event status.

Londoner
02-18-2006, 04:28 PM

I agree that RVD has 'it' but to be honest his matches since he returned have been really shite.I'm letting him off for now though because its his first month back in the ring, but I doubt his matches will change much over the next few months.

Kane Knight
02-18-2006, 04:29 PM
With the proper build they could have built him to main event status.

I honestly don't think he had enough of the "it" factor to cut it. Midcard gold and the occassional title squash in the ME, but that's about it. I think there has to be a least a dozen wrestlers in 2000 who would have had a better chance and a better run.

Not that it matters, because most of that talent was buried anyway.

Kane Knight
02-18-2006, 04:30 PM
I agree that RVD has 'it' but to be honest his matches since he returned have been really shite.I'm letting him off for now though because its his first month back in the ring, but I doubt his matches will change much over the next few months.

Yeah, I won't argue that at all. His matches have been lackluster, but I've turned the other way because of "ring rust." We'll see if he manages to get back to even what he used to be in WWE.

Londoner
02-18-2006, 04:30 PM
It's not that he was pushed too fast, it's that they changed his gimmick. Cena could be carrying this company right now.

True, but since they did change his gimmick it would've been better to build him up slower to see if the gimmick worked or not, instead of just assuming their way would work and give him the title straight away.

Mr. JL
02-18-2006, 04:52 PM
I don't want to sound like an RVD fanboy, but look who RVD has had to wrestle in his three matches back in the ring.

Snitsky
Carlito
Chris Masters

2 of those blow balls... and honestly, thier single matches with RVD these past few weeks will most likely go into thier own personal "Best of Snitsky/Masters DVD" match list, and will probablly be somewhere in thier 'Top Three Best Matches of my Career' category.

Kane Knight
02-18-2006, 04:54 PM
Much as I hate Masters, I've seen more entertaining matches out of Masters, and against lesser men.

Londoner
02-18-2006, 04:56 PM
I don't want to sound like an RVD fanboy, but look who RVD has had to wrestle in his three matches back in the ring.

Snitsky
Carlito
Chris Masters

2 of those blow balls... and honestly, thier single matches with RVD these past few weeks will most likely go into thier own personal "Best of Snitsky/Masters DVD" match list, and will probablly be somewhere in thier 'Top Three Best Matches of my Career' category.

Like I said, i'm letting him off for now.I'm interested to see how he does in the triple threat match.

Skippord
02-18-2006, 05:01 PM
Yeah, I won't argue that at all. His matches have been lackluster, but I've turned the other way because of "ring rust." We'll see if he manages to get back to even what he used to be in WWE.
The Carlito match was good

yknits god
02-18-2006, 05:03 PM

christian has nothing

Dorkchop
02-18-2006, 05:49 PM
christian has nothing

Christian has the world title. That's not nothing.

Xero
02-18-2006, 05:52 PM
I wouldn't say that Christian had "it" in 2000. The difference between him and Venis is they pushed Christian in the tag division and bumped Venis around in random feuds and gimmicks.

Mr. JL
02-18-2006, 06:58 PM
Like I said, i'm letting him off for now.I'm interested to see how he does in the triple threat match.
Cool, sadly I think you are most likely right though, RVD's in ring work (for the WWE at least) and matches will most likely be the same as it is now.

I have a feeling that the 'Triple Threat Match' is not going to benefit Rob Van Dam too much. The way I see the match unfolding will be simular to the way a certain triple threat match from No Mercy 2001 with Austin and Angle played out. RVD being kept to a minimal role, while Austin and Angle are the main focus.

Except this time it will be HHH and Big Show being the main focus with RVD jumping in at random spots to keep the fans interested.:|

PullMyFinger
02-18-2006, 07:02 PM
Even with the new stars they're building...they just don't cut it. The last time I really marked out and went nuts for a wrestler was back during the Monday Night Wars and even a few years after WCW died.

However, now, it's just not the same. WWE has yet to come up with their next big star since Austin and Rock. Nobody is literally worthy of a huge loud pop. I just can't all out go nuts for a wrestler like Batista, Cena, etc. like how I used to for Hogan, SCSA, Rock, nWo, etc.

Well then again, when Hardy "invaded" Raw and his theme song played during Edge's wedding...lol that was two random times I marked out like crazy. However, lol WWE knew how to certainly kill that fast.

The Naitch
02-18-2006, 07:16 PM
they should market the product more towards the 18-35 crowd. The kids won't go away, they'll still follow it

Volare
02-18-2006, 11:02 PM
yknitsgod says christian has nothing

I Say Christain also owns your soul j/k

hey at least jarret lay'd down the belt for someone:eek:

Skippord
02-18-2006, 11:14 PM
Someone not named AJ Styles

What Would Kevin Do?
02-19-2006, 12:31 AM
If they would have handled the invasion period right, they would have some main eventers right now.

Honestly, I think the most obvious is Mike Awesome. He could have gotten over big. Booker T and Benoit easily. RVD, Rhyno, Jericho, Kane, and maybe Christian could have all easily have been main eventers now, leaving people like Cena in the mid card (Where he could have probably had a Rock/HHH esque mid card feud w/ Carlito.)

Anywho..

James Steele
02-19-2006, 12:37 AM
I think WWE's problems can be summed up in one storyline:

The last SmackDown! before WrestleMania 21, John Cena dropped the US Title to Orlando Jordan. 3 days later, he was WWE Champion.

94 SVT Cobra
02-19-2006, 12:45 AM
I think WWE's problems can be summed up in one storyline:

The last SmackDown! before WrestleMania 21, John Cena dropped the US Title to Orlando Jordan. 3 days later, he was WWE Champion.

I now have a new sig

James Steele
02-19-2006, 12:57 AM
joy...

James Steele
:roll:

James Steele
My sig fucking owns yours:

James Steele
02-19-2006, 01:04 AM
Bill Nye's First TPWW Sermon

<embed src=http://content.ytmnd.com/content/e/7/e7b7f6ae8f6001d4d55d5bb38ee54f48.wav autostart=false loop=false volume=100>

Stickman
02-19-2006, 01:04 AM
I think WWE will go on a huge downfall because of this. They're giving all these young guys with no experience the world titles. This isn't at the same level but when Carlito won his gold it was in his first match on the brand. That's a good way to kill credibility. They're basically doing the same thing with the big golds albeit at a slower pace. I was pissed when Lesner was the Champ, and no way should Cena be the man. It seemed like a couple years ago Cena was just breaking in as an Eminem wannabe. Oh wait, it was.

I feel by throwing the titles on every new up and comers, in a few years there will be nothing of interest as everybody's held the gold. Val Venis as a champ would be more believable than Cena just because he's been around (that sounds Venisesque). It'd be like the grizzly old hockey veteran who earns his paycheck everyday, finally after 15 years, winning the Cup.

What Would Kevin Do?
02-19-2006, 01:22 AM
I think WWE will go on a huge downfall because of this. They're giving all these young guys with no experience the world titles. This isn't at the same level but when Carlito won his gold it was in his first match on the brand. That's a good way to kill credibility. They're basically doing the same thing with the big golds albeit at a slower pace. I was pissed when Lesner was the Champ, and no way should Cena be the man. It seemed like a couple years ago Cena was just breaking in as an Eminem wannabe. Oh wait, it was.

I feel by throwing the titles on every new up and comers, in a few years there will be nothing of interest as everybody's held the gold. Val Venis as a champ would be more believable than Cena just because he's been around (that sounds Venisesque). It'd be like the grizzly old hockey veteran who earns his paycheck everyday, finally after 15 years, winning the Cup.

Nah, Cena is more believable than Venis.

And in his, and the WWE's defense, I think they built Batista up REALLY well before giving him the title. It may have been early, but at least it seemed legit.

I also have no problem w/ Carlito's wins. They were basically really cheap, and showed him as an underhanded cheater. Now he's really coming into his own, and I can see him having a longer run down the road.

James Steele
02-19-2006, 01:25 AM
Chris Benoit busting his ass 20 years to finally obtain his dream.

Eddie Guerrero waiting almost as long as Benoit to obtain his dream.

Chris Jericho busting his ass for a decade to finally become the the first ever Undisputed Champion Of The World.

People who have staying power are people who the fans care about, and the last time I checked...you want the fans to care about your World Champion.

Pinnacle Charisma
02-19-2006, 05:59 AM
During a boom peroid (for example during the hulk hogan era and the late 90's) the midcarders should always become the next champions (if they are the tools).

Lets just say someone who hasnt watched wrestling since the attitude era sees a bit of wrestling on TV. They are going to see so many new people like Cena, Orton etc and they are just going to turn off. If they see someone they remembered they might tune in longer.

Ill use the attitude era for example. Back then people may have tuned in because of the staying power Austin and The Rock but then they also feel in love with people like Jericho, Kane, Benoit etc. When some of my friends ask me if I still watch wrestling and I say yes do you know what the first question they ask "Is Jericho still awesome"? Why not push wrestlers that people already care and know about instead of forcing them to care for someone else

In 2001 the wwe should have pushed jericho, kane, Benoit to the moon. And the we wouldnt have to had to put up with green wrestlers who dont know what they are doing.

I know wrestling isnt a sport but it does have similarities. I believe that in both that there athletes have periods in their career when they perform their best. For example in aussie football footballers usually play their best when there reach 22 or 23. I also believe that wrestlers put on their best work after being in the system for at least more than seven years. Look at 2005 and think to yourself who the best wrestlers for the wwe where. Who where the most entertaining? I would not say Bats, or Cena ( who rightfully are meant to be the most entertaining given they are the companies champions). I would say the most entertaining in 2005 where HBK, Angle and Eddie. Guys who have been in the wrestling business for years.

FourFifty
02-19-2006, 06:06 AM
The Carlito match was cool