PDA

View Full Version : ESPN.com Breaking News: NFL Labor Talks Break Down

Joey Slugs
02-28-2006, 07:41 PM
After NFL owners' optimism about a deal getting done this week, labor negotiations broke down Tuesday and no new talks are scheduled. The situation is serious with free agency set to begin Friday and the salary cap beyond the '07 season unknown. Story (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2348417)

• Potential '06 salary cap cuts (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2341755)

Gonzo
02-28-2006, 09:51 PM
If this means a delay or cancelation of the next NFL season I will cry till I drop dead.

Blitz
02-28-2006, 09:53 PM
If this means a delay or cancelation of the next NFL season I will cry tears of joy till I drop dead.

BCWWF
02-28-2006, 11:15 PM
The NFL is hands down the best run professional sports league in the US, I have no fear at all that the season is in jeopardy.

Gonzo
03-01-2006, 12:01 AM
If this means a delay or cancelation of the next NFL season I will cry tears of joy till I drop dead.

:mad:

Joey Slugs
03-01-2006, 12:18 AM
If this means a delay or cancelation of the next NFL season I will cry till I drop dead.

A lockout is possible for 2007/08

Blitz
03-01-2006, 12:24 AM

Well, it's mostly because it will delay Raw for me starting next season till midnight every week. That, and it always delays The Simpsons and Family Guy on Sundays.

D Mac
03-01-2006, 12:50 AM
A lockout is possible for 2007/08

Mr. Monday Morning
03-01-2006, 08:12 AM
2007 won't be a lockout, it'll be uncapped. Crazy money flying everywhere.

The league and player's association are probably just bluffing in an attempt to get the owners to agree on revenue sharing, they're meeting today in New York.

Joey Slugs
03-01-2006, 01:33 PM
ESPN.com - NFL - Pasquarelli: "Bloody Thursday" looms over NFL (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2348970)

OssMan
03-01-2006, 05:18 PM
hello redskins :wavesad:

RP
03-01-2006, 05:23 PM
Denver just cut Pryce, Mike Anderson, and Putzier.

Mr. Monday Morning
03-02-2006, 01:59 PM
We mentioned on Wednesday afternoon that a Special Master has issued a ruling that puts the Colts in a salary cap predicament by invalidating some of their cap management tools. The Indianapolis Star supplies the details, reporting that the ruling specifically related to the contracts of quarterback Peyton Manning and receiver Marvin Harrison.

The Star also reports that the decision could result in "several significant player cuts" by the Colts on Thursday, if the CBA is not extended.

"They're in a tough spot," NFLPA director of salary cap and agent administration Mark Levin said.

The specific issue relates to a $9 million roster bonus owed to Manning and a $10 million roster bonus due to Harrison. The team intended to convert the roster boni to guaranteed payments, spreading the cap hit over the next four years. By our calculations, the move would have freed up $6.75 million in cap room under Manning's deal, and $7.5 million under Harrison's deal.

Stephen Burbank, the guy who handles matters of CBA interpretation for the league and the union, ruled that such conversions are prohibited if they trigger a violation of the 30 percent rule. So in Manning's case, the conversion of the $9 million roster bonus to a guaranteed payment reduces his 2006 salary basis by $9 million -- which means that he can receive $11.7 million less in 2007 salary than he otherwise would be eligible to make.

As to the other ruling we mentioned on Wednesday (i.e., that option bonus payments are not part of salary for the purposes of the 30 percent rule) we've heard from several league insiders who pointed to language in the CBA that arguably contradicts the ruling. For now, all we can say is that the info we posted on Wednesday is the info that was being passed around by various league insiders.

On one hand, it's possible that they had the facts off a bit, given all of the other issues that teams currently are dealing with as the deadline for getting under the cap approaches. On the other hand, we don't see any difference between option bonuses that are spread over time and roster bonuses that are converted at the team's option into a guaranteed payment, and spread over time. Both forms of compensation start out as non-guaranteed money. Either both should count toward the 30 percent rule, or both shouldn't.

Bottom line -- add the Colts to the list of teams who suddenly are screwed if the CBA doesn't get done.

Mr. Monday Morning
03-02-2006, 02:06 PM
I dunno, the more I read about this the more I think the NFLPA are just shooting themselves in the foot, and that they have more to lose from this than the owners or the league. There's also speculation Upshaw isn't working with the union's full knowledge:

With roughly eight hours of windshield time on Wednesday to work the phone lines, a clear theme is emerging from our discussions with league insiders.

The NFLPA has left the players in the dark regarding the status of the discussions regarding a CBA extension, and the players are getting pissed.

Very pissed.

We're told that there has been little or no communication from NFLPA executive director Gene Upshaw and/or NFLPA president Troy Vincent to the rank-and-file regarding the status of the discussions. With rampant media reports of a looming massacre of veteran players (and the blood already is flowing), guys are getting nervous.

But yet the players are getting no information.

So while Upshaw is being praised by some in the media for digging in his heels against the NFL, many of his constituents would like to dig their toes into his ass.

With that said, we continue to believe that this whole exercise in high drama is a well-orchestrated act between Upshaw and Commissioner Paul Tagliabue to get a deal done at the eleventh hour.

If it isn't -- and if free agency launches without a new CBA in place -- we predict that there will be open calls at the annual meeting of player representatives for Upshaw to be fired.

Why? Because guys who are in line for decent money will end up, absent an extension, with low-money deals. Take Steelers running back Verron Haynes, for example. With a new CBA, he'd likely get a deal averaging $1.5 million or so a year. Without a new CBA, he's looking at the one-year minimum, at best.

But we shouldn't feel bad for him because he'll be a free agent in 2007, when there's no salary cap, right?

Wrong. Too many players and media types simply don't realize that, in the uncapped year, only guys with six years of credited service will be eligible for unrestricted free agency. Guys with three to five years will be subject to the restricted free agency rules. So if Haynes rips it up in 2006, his reward will be one of the three levels of RFA tenders.

Bottom line -- Upshaw is taking a hell of a gamble. If a deal gets done, the players quickly will forgive and forget. If it doesn't, Upshaw might want to take out a lease on Saddam Hussein's spider hole.

-------

Both those articles are from profootballtalk.com btw

Joey Slugs
03-02-2006, 06:44 PM
Questions and answers about the NFL labor talks (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2351462)