PDA

View Full Version : A thought about possible new GMs.

Avenger
03-05-2006, 01:15 PM
Well as we all can assume, Vince is going to get his ass off RAW after he buries HBK at Wrestlemania and we will be presented with a new GM for World Wrestling Entertainment's flagship show. When Eric Bischoff was originally booted off RAW by Mr. McMahon speculation was... speculating that the new GM could be anyone from 'The American Dream' Dusty Rhodes to... Chris Nowinski. Right now I am going to give you a rundown of who I believe are the main contenders for the job. I've taken into consideration all the crazy rumors we heard to the current state of this industry. Oh, and the first one is a shocker.

Bret Hart - yes, the Hitman himself as the new General Manager of RAW. Dishing out his own brand of Calgary justice to the likes of John Cena, Triple H, Carlito and... HBK?

Now you people might say I am crazy. However if certain events fall into place as I expect, it is not an impossible turn in events. First and foremost, how could Bret ever want to take on a schedule with WWE again? How could he go back there, leave his home in Italy to go on the road with the boys again? Well he wouldn't have to. Just Monday nights and one PPV a month. WWE would surely fly him back and forth every week. Bret would be back on TV, probably only for a short spell, but he would have the opportunity to remind us of his character and make sure his legacy lives on by introducing himself to the new generation.

If all goes well with this induction into the Hall of Fame at Wrestlemania, and he appears on the show itself. It is very possible Bret might like what he sees, he might feel he could stick being backstage, he might feel that Vince really is sorry for what happened and accept that he did it for the good of the company Bret wanted to stay with. Bret could see an opportunity to wave his influence about backstage and perhaps make some sort of change to a company with whom he is most probably disillusioned in a creative sense anyway.

On TV Bret would be great figure to have around. A face authority figure who will take no shit from cocky heels such as Carlito. His character would most likely give us matches we want to see. However there is one question that remains. What about the Heartbreak Kid? Well isn't it time that HBK maybe moved on, retired or at least went to SmackDown! for one last run to put over some young stars he hasn't had a chance to yet. Let me paint a picture. Wrestlemania, Chicago Street Fight, Shawn Michaels versus Vince McMahon. If Vince loses, he has to leave Shawn alone, he can't fire him, he can't harrass him, Vince stays off RAW and out of HBK's way. But if Vince loses... HBK is fired from RAW. We would perhaps even have a young SmackDown! heel cost HBK the match and set up a feud leading into Summerslam. Maybe even Batista, Benoit. I haven't totally thought it through.

Anyway, it's one to think about. Question is, would HBK be the real stopping block. Or is HHH the one who could dissuede Bret from coming to RAW? If this is the case, would Triple H actually leave RAW to make room for the Hitman? Doubtful.

Ric Flair - This one is simple. His ring skills are starting to wain, he's old, not able to put on the matches he could 25 years ago. However, on the mike, Flair is still the best. He's still gold, and God forbid we lose that on RAW. He's done the authority figure angle before, and he pulled it off. His prescence on RAW is going to be hard to lose. Why not? And, if this is the road WWE goes down, why not make it interesting and have the classic co-GM angle which worked so well for Bischoff and Stone Cold? That leads me to my next point, his possible co-GM...

'The American Dream' Dusty Rhodes - Think about it. Flair and Rhodes would be gold together on RAW. Backstage and in-ring skits would be brilliant to look forward to each week with these two. Imagine a possible match between the two at Summerslam. They could really pull something interesting out of the bag. Even if this was only short-term it would be so original for the current WWE climate.

However, Rhodes as the lone GM on RAW? One word... ugh?! Can you really see the RAW crowd popping for him being announced as new GM as they might for Bret Hart or Stone Cold. Do you really think 4.5 million wrestling fans on a Monday night are all familiar with Dusty's work? I don't think so. This, in my book, would be a huge mistake.

Shane McMahon - Money, money, money. That's exactly what Shane is, in front of and behind the camera. Probably WWE's best possible authority figure. He is charismatic, young, funny and damn good in the ring. He can take bumps unlike Bret and in a way Vince. Shane is a huge possibility for this job. All the hints are there from WWE. He's getting more TV time and the SNME street fight with Shawn Michaels could lead onto something after Wrestlemania leading up to Backlash. If Shawn doesn't want a full-time program, a continuation of this McMahon feud is possible. However stale it might get.

At this point of the article there are several possible names I would like to throw out there which are clearly candidates but really need no extended discussion. Stone Cold Steve Austin's name is going to come up for obvious reasons, it's been done, it's old, he's old, it wouldn't work. Austin's character can still provide good entertainment on WWE TV but every week? No. And how can you trust the guy after everything. Too unreliable. There is also Mick Foley. Yes, I know it's been done aswell, Commissioner and all that. But I think Mick could interract really well on TV every week with Carlito, Masters, Shelton, John Cena and obviously Edge, with whom his feud could broaden. Personally I think the Big Show would make brilliant GM. He is the funniest guy in this business and a few months as an authority figure would be something different for Big Show. It worked for Angle. Then we have... ugh... Stephanie McMahon-Levesque. The only way this would even come close to working for me was if we acknowledged her marriage to Triple H, I know we've seen it before but they did work well together on TV. However we know they have a stranglehold on things off-camera, do we really want that in front of the lens aswell? Before I move onto my next choice, let's all join hands in prayer that Jonathan Coachman is not the next GM. That is all.

Paul Heyman - Hey(man), does this need anymore explanation? Heyman on TV is brilliant. Heyman as GM leading up to One Night Stand II would be phenomenal. We would see old ECW guys on RAW, RVD getting World Title shots... who am I kidding actually?

Heyman would be brilliant back on RAW. A quick power struggle with Vince then a feud with a top face/heel on the roster. Heyman trying to hold down Cena would put a smile on all our faces, am I right?

Then there's always the possibility of putting a young pretender into the job. I know we would all love to see Chris Nowinski as the new GM. He's young, charismatic, fresh, the fans would probably remember him, and most importantly... he makes me laugh. Nowinski would be your perfect heel authority figure, not quite as tyrannical as Bischoff, maybe a little more human. But a great heel all the same. Now you might all kill me for this next suggestion. But... Carlito? Think about it, Carlito fakes an injury as an excuse for losing his WM match and goes on to do exactly what Nowinski would offer. Gold.

Now, my final choice is in my mind the most likely candidate. Yes, you guessed it...

Eric Bischoff - Vince thought Bischoff had done all he could offer on RAW, he was stale. But still an assett to the company. Vince might have no choice here. Does he really want to set Bischoff loose to join the likes of TNA? Does he want to keep him, but give a job backstage, thus giving him power the WWE!? The only other choice would be to put him back in front of the camera as the GM of RAW. A massive swerve. None of us saw it coming... well not most of us. A few months off camera for Bischoff, his character was getting stale and maybe this was just what it needed. And furthermore! What if Bischoff is revealed at Wrestlemania, and brings with him, his new acquisition... Dajip Singh, 'The Giant'. He is rumoured to make his debut at 'Mania and if he came to RAW as Bischoff's enforcer it would be a great way to ease him in.

Would it really be so bad to have old Bisch back? Not really in my books. He always did a great job on RAW and has a strong character established already. No need to build up the likes of Rhodes or Nowinski.

Anyway, this is me signing off. What do you think?

Kane Knight
03-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Forgotten - Nobody will GM for a long time, and since the original angle was to give Eric time off (And he might not be returning), this angle could very well be dropped with no real regard to continuity.

chipoftheoldblock
03-05-2006, 02:00 PM
Eric is not fired. He's having time off and soon going to make a return to the wwe after wrestle mania 22

Xero
03-05-2006, 02:14 PM
Eric is not fired. He's having time off and soon going to make a return to the wwe after wrestle mania 22
Funny how "after WrestleMania 22" could mean the next RAW or WrestleMania 122.

Avenger
03-05-2006, 04:42 PM
Eric is not fired. He's having time off and soon going to make a return to the wwe after wrestle mania 22I think we can all work out for ourselves he isn't fired.

Avenger
03-05-2006, 04:42 PM
What do people think of the Bret scenario?

Kane Knight
03-05-2006, 04:44 PM

No, he's not fired, but he might not be returning.

ThruTheWire
03-05-2006, 06:33 PM
On Bret Hart... he's past his time. He would be making a huge mistake returning to WWE tv.

6to1
03-05-2006, 09:04 PM
bret still hates the wwe so no i do not see him working for vince.

Kane Knight
03-05-2006, 09:06 PM
bret still hates the wwe so no i do not see him working for vince.

Bret's moved on, no matter what Vince claims.

6to1
03-05-2006, 09:10 PM
yea he may move on to tna

Kane Knight
03-05-2006, 09:20 PM
Unlikely.

Dorkchop
03-05-2006, 09:26 PM
Bret has said that he doesn't want to play a GM or commissioner character. Never say never, but it's not even remotely likely.

NeanderCarl
03-05-2006, 10:59 PM
I call Jim Ross as the next G.M. anyway and possibly a feud with Vince McMahon (but, PLEASE, no matches!)

FourFifty
03-06-2006, 02:03 AM

I think who ever believes that will happen needs to learn not to drink the bong water.

Corkscrewed
03-06-2006, 03:24 AM
Dude, do you know who'd be ratings as GM?

WARRIOR

That man would be ratingsssss.

Mr. Nerfect
03-06-2006, 04:09 AM
I think they should consider giving the spot to JBL. Sure he's still an active competitor, but I think his best work with the business has been out of the ring. Give him a managing role and he can shine.

darkpower
03-06-2006, 04:09 AM
Bret has said that he doesn't want to play a GM or commissioner character. Never say never, but it's not even remotely likely.

You just confused me.

You said "never say never", but then said it's not even remotely likely, basically meaning....NEVER!! You basically said the thing you told us to...NEVER say.

Pinnacle Charisma
03-06-2006, 05:54 AM
I have never gotten why Dusty Rhodes is called the american dream? I know the history of his character and everything but if he is the american dream then America is in a hell of alot of trouble.

XL
03-06-2006, 08:34 AM
Dude, do you know who'd be ratings as GM?

WARRIOR

That man would be raNtingsssss.
Fixed

Kane Knight
03-06-2006, 09:34 AM
You just confused me.

You said "never say never", but then said it's not even remotely likely, basically meaning....NEVER!! You basically said the thing you told us to...NEVER say.

There's a difference between improbable and impossible. Saying it's not even remotely likely is saying it's improbable, saying it'll never happen is saying it's impossible. There's a difference

Corkscrewed
03-07-2006, 01:56 AM
Fixed

that too :y:

PullMyFinger
03-07-2006, 02:11 AM
SHELTONS MAMA

Sephiroth
03-07-2006, 08:38 AM

Avenger
03-07-2006, 11:54 AM
Lol I love it how most wrestling fans feel they know Bret personally.

Xero
03-07-2006, 12:10 PM
I have coffee with him daily.

Kane Knight
03-07-2006, 12:12 PM

Holy reading too much into things, Batman!

PureHatred
03-07-2006, 12:39 PM

:?: Weren't you the one who asked for people to comment on your post? Were you just hoping for eveyone to blindly agree with your little piece of fan fiction?

As to the thread, I don't really care who the GM is. I don't really think the 'generic bad guy authority figure' adds that much to the show. So anybody will due.

Kane Knight
03-07-2006, 03:09 PM
:?: Weren't you the one who asked for people to comment on your post? Were you just hoping for eveyone to blindly agree with your little piece of fan fiction?

As to the thread, I don't really care who the GM is. I don't really think the 'generic bad guy authority figure' adds that much to the show. So anybody will due.

I think they should get Steve "Soccer Mom" Borden.

alvarado52
03-09-2006, 03:55 PM
After WM22 means jack, im gonna get married and have a child after WM 22, and make love to my hand.

Kane Knight
03-09-2006, 04:23 PM
Pffft. I can beat that...
Get it? BEAT that? Huh? Huh? Okay fine, it was a shitty joke.
I'm gonna go make love to my hand NOW.

JoeJoyner
03-09-2006, 09:11 PM

in that bret hart magazine he said he isn't gonna return to the ring or the wrestling business so bret is out

Avenger
03-10-2006, 05:12 PM
And you would certainly know.

Kane Knight
03-10-2006, 07:56 PM
Are you jealous that people give an actual statement more credibility than your wild speculation?

Avenger
03-10-2006, 09:39 PM
Eh no, but no matter what this guy says I have no time for his opinions on wrestling no matter what they are.

It's not about what he said and the statement is true and probably does rule out a Bret return, which I already knew.

If you actually want to stick up for this cock then be my guest.

Kane Knight
03-10-2006, 09:42 PM
I'm not particularly sticking up for anyone, but this isn't exactly the first time you've gone on about someone making a Bret comment, when you're making impotent speculation yourself.

So I'm curious why, especially when you yourself admit it's likely out.

Avenger
03-10-2006, 09:51 PM
If anyone else had've made that comment I probably would have taken it as it was, a fact that probably rules out a full time return for Bret. The only reason I made the scenario about Bret coming back in the first place was, as you put it, speculation. I think it would make good viewing on RAW, but probably not so likely.

As for me making comments to people about Bret, or ragging on them for Bret comments. I guess I just feel sometimes that internet fans have some preconception that he is God and they all know everything about the guy. Which they don't, I know I certainly don't.

Realistically there is probably a lot more to Bret's story that we don't all know, I'm sure Bret's a decent guy but I just find him quite dislikeable. And to be honest, he wasn't that good. Sure he was a fantastic wrestler, but nothing special in all honestly.