PDA

View Full Version : question for those that have been to a wrestling school

alvarado52
03-08-2006, 01:19 PM
and im talking a lengthy period of time, not like a week then say screw it. Whats yoru opinion on it? Im curious because im considering joining up and i just kinda want a basic idea on what its like, if its a unbareable boot camp, etc.

The One
03-08-2006, 03:12 PM
This is such a bull shit question man. I could give you a hundred stories for and against joining, and it doesn't mean you would ever experience anything close to what I did. Not all schools are the same. Hell most schools vary a great range. Some schools will basically beat you senseless and call you a pussy for bleeding...some schools will say your the best mic worker in the history of the biz so long as you can remember a catch phrase.

There are a few universal truths. The first of which is, you will feel pain. I promise you. And not just like a few seconds...hell the worst pain comes the next morning usually. The second universal truth is, odds are you arn't going to make money off of this. You will go in for thousands of dollars, and maybe when it's all said and done you might make a hundred a night...factor in most areas (I'm talking about non-coastal United States here) only do maybe one or two indy shows a month...doctor's bills, heating pads, chiropractic care (GET IT!), etc....more then anything you probably will lose a lot of money. The final universal truth is, you must fucking love it. I'm not talking about you like to watch it on TV, you think it's fun to see it live, etc...you have to love every aspect of it. If you have that kind of love for it...does it matter what anyone here will say? I wouldn't trade my time with indy wrestling for the world, but the truth is I am now 23, have a bad back, have had 2 knee operations and need a third, and don't have much to show for it...but I loved doing it, I got a feeling I can't express every time I performed, be it close to a thousand people or less then 20.

If it's something you love, then do it. And if you get there and realise it isn't for you...leave. It happens all the time. No shame in it, just maybe it wasn't the right fit for you.

PorkSoda
03-08-2006, 03:46 PM
I'll tell you what I did at my wrestling school.

Well, first of all, after every class and when I was driving home, I would say to myself that it was fun. When I was doing it, I was having the most fun in a long time. I had to quit a couple months ago because I can't afford it, and I don't think that it is for me, like The One said. I do plan on getting back into it, and when they have shows I can still go and help break down the ring afterwards, but if I do get back into it, I think I want to be a referee or a manager. Or something involved with the business.

The training. First off, at my school, I was on the weekend plan, paying 100 bucks a month, going Saturday and Wednesday. Sunday was part of the weekend plan but I just didn't go that day. On Saturday, we would all line up outside the ring and do drills inside of it. Like we would run the ropes four times, exit the ring, wait till everyone does that, then go inside with someone, and do something else. It changed every week. Like we would lock up, circle around the ring, then release. Or we would go in, do a bump, get up, go to the other side of the ring, take a bump, leave. There were also these fast paced drills where you would stand in the ring, someone would come and give you a shoulder block, you bump it, get right back up and the next person shoulder blocks you. It's very fast faced. And we would do pinning drills, I had trouble with this. You would lay down, someone would pin you, and you actually have to throw them off you. It was hard, I always struggled with that part.

Then, on Saturday, they would usually break into the small groups with the younger guys going into one ring with the head trainer and two other experienced wrestlers while the others go into the other ring and chain wrestle. In the ring, they would teach you the basics, running the ropes, bumping, or a move like a bodyslam, arm drag, hiptoss, etc. Then, like 20 minutes before class ends, there would usually be matches. The experienced wrestlers would wrestle, you'd just watch. That was basically Saturday. Before class, you all might go and jog around the block or so, thats what we did about a month before I had to quit.

Wednesday was open ring. It was less crowded than Saturday and it was basically if you needed help on something you would go, but its like Saturday only less crowded and you don't do those drills on Saturday. What we did was that I got there, we would chain around, possibly learn a new move, they, the wrestlers or other experienced students, would give you advice, and just practice it. On Wednesday they would have matches at the end of class.

Like The One said, you usually feel the pain the next day. When I first took a back bump, I was nervous as hell, did it, and thought it wasn't that bad, and it really isn't, but 3 hours later I was feeling it. I coulden't move my neck from side to side, I coulden't bend over without feeling lots of pain, and that. Running the ropes hurt the most. I had a huge ass bruise on my hip that lasted like 2 months. It was blue, purple, grey, yellow, orange, pink, all colors.

And like The One said, if you love it, stay, if you don't, leave. I skipped classes on Saturday for some reason just because I didn't feel like going, and I regretted it. I really have no excuse why I skipped all those Saturdays, but I went on Wednesday. I guess I didn't love it, I had lots and lots of fun, but I don't think I was very passionate about it. And right now, I can't afford it, but even if I could afford it, I'd probably make up some excuse on why I'm not going, but the real reason probably is that I don't love it and I'm not passionate about it. :(

JoeJoyner
03-10-2006, 01:27 AM
This is such a bull shit question man. I could give you a hundred stories for and against joining, and it doesn't mean you would ever experience anything close to what I did. Not all schools are the same. Hell most schools vary a great range. Some schools will basically beat you senseless and call you a pussy for bleeding...some schools will say your the best mic worker in the history of the biz so long as you can remember a catch phrase.

There are a few universal truths. The first of which is, you will feel pain. I promise you. And not just like a few seconds...hell the worst pain comes the next morning usually. The second universal truth is, odds are you arn't going to make money off of this. You will go in for thousands of dollars, and maybe when it's all said and done you might make a hundred a night...factor in most areas (I'm talking about non-coastal United States here) only do maybe one or two indy shows a month...doctor's bills, heating pads, chiropractic care (GET IT!), etc....more then anything you probably will lose a lot of money. The final universal truth is, you must fucking love it. I'm not talking about you like to watch it on TV, you think it's fun to see it live, etc...you have to love every aspect of it. If you have that kind of love for it...does it matter what anyone here will say? I wouldn't trade my time with indy wrestling for the world, but the truth is I am now 23, have a bad back, have had 2 knee operations and need a third, and don't have much to show for it...but I loved doing it, I got a feeling I can't express every time I performed, be it close to a thousand people or less then 20.

If it's something you love, then do it. And if you get there and realise it isn't for you...leave. It happens all the time. No shame in it, just maybe it wasn't the right fit for you.

wow u have inspired me cuz i love wrestling......how much does it cost ti go to a wrestling school?

Dave Youell
03-10-2006, 04:18 AM
I just checked your profile:

Biography:
extreme backyard wrestler

First of all, drop that shit right now, no trainer is going to give you the time of day if you show up and say 'Hi i'm a backyarder'

You need to learn the basics, your first few months will basically be as boring as hell, as without the basics you will look like shit, just shut up and listen to what is being said, have respect for your trainers and take it all in and you'll be fine.

But like the One said you have to really want it and not expect to make a living out of it, I work 2-3 shows a month in the UK and get around £20 per show, which is crap, i'm in a situation that I do make a little (and I mean a little) cash out of it, but that's only because i've done enough shows to balance out the cost of all my ring gear, just try and treat this like a hobby at first, do a few shows, if bookers like you, you will get more work, but don't expect it, it happens for some people, but only a very small minority.

And yes you will get hurt, lots.

I've got a 2 lumps in my back, bone chips on my knee, both my ankles are screwed and i've had a few concussions and generally my body is a mess, but I wouldn't change it for the world

Dave Youell
03-10-2006, 06:20 AM
Oh that backyarder thing was aimed at JoeJoyner not alvarado52