PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Unsung Matches

Fox
03-11-2006, 01:06 AM
There are some matches that most everyone recognizes as greats: HBK/Bret Hart (Iron Man Match, WM 12), Rock/Hogan (WM 18), Steamboat/Savage (WM 3), Andre/Hogan (WM 3), Eddie/Mysterio (Halloween Havoc 97).

This thread is not for those matches. This thread is for your personal favorite unsung matches; the ones most people have forgotten about, but live with you today for some obscure reason.

For example, here are mine:

1) Jeff Hardy vs. Chris Jericho - No Way Out 2002 -

-This was the match that Test was fired for not attending because of adverse weather conditions, so Jeff Hardy was substituted instead, and they had probably Jeff Hardy's last good match in WWE. There are some really great spots, it gets adequate air time, and Jericho just does a great job of making Jeff look good during the era where Jeff couldn't do anything right.

2) Chris Benoit vs. Triple H - No Mercy 2000 (99?) -

-In the first one-on-one encounter between HHH and Benoit on PPV, these two had an amazing technical war. Every move was crisp and meaningful, and both guys were absolutely on top of their game. A five star match that most people probably don't remember.

3) Edge vs. Christian - IC Title Ladder Match - No Mercy 2001

-This was during the Invasion, right after Christian had joined the Alliance. Edge and Christian had a very solid ladder match with some innovative moves and a great finish that saw Edge hit Christian with the Con-Chair-To on top of the ladders.

Post your own favorite unsung matches from WCW, WWE or ECW.

mrslackalack
03-11-2006, 01:14 AM
I think a classic that no1 talks about is Rock vs. Angle at NWO 01 even though Hebner messed up the count it was still a back and forth great match.

Vastardikai
03-11-2006, 01:48 AM
Ric Flair vs. Barry Windham 45 minute Draw. (from the Ultimate Flair DVD): I heard in some towns, they took each other to 60 and even 90 minutes.

dablackguy
03-11-2006, 02:15 AM
I think a classic that no1 talks about is Rock vs. Angle at NWO 01 even though Hebner messed up the count it was still a back and forth great match.

Wasnt that the triple threat with UT?

Rammsteinmad
03-11-2006, 04:52 AM
Lol I was thinking of doing a thread like this after watching all my wrestling dvds chronologically.

Anyhow, one of my faves which nobody mentions is Rob Van Dam VS Christian VS Chris Jericho for the Intercontinental Title at Unforgiven 2003.

Xero
03-11-2006, 07:42 AM
Mankind vs. Triple H in a Cage Match at SummerSlam 1997. Probably because I was there live, but I've always loved that match. And it was the opener.

JH
03-11-2006, 08:03 AM
mine is from a wcw tunder in 97 that i was at
billy kidman vs chavo when billy was cruiserweight champion
that was a great match and everyone was into it

Loose Cannon
03-11-2006, 10:04 AM
I have a special place for Rockers/Twin Towers WM 5.

Y3J
03-11-2006, 10:42 AM
Benoit/Jericho Royal Rumble 2001 (Ladder Match)

Loose Cannon
03-11-2006, 10:47 AM
there's a great spot in that match where Benoit does a suicide dive headbutt through the middle rope and Y2J smacks him point blank in the head with a chair. Awesome.

M-A-G
03-11-2006, 10:48 AM
Wasnt that the triple threat with UT?

You're thinking Vengeance 2002.

M-A-G
03-11-2006, 10:49 AM
Shelton Benjamin vs. Chris Jericho at Backlash 2005, RVD vs. Jeff Hardy for the Hardcore Title at Invasion and SummerSlam 2001, and as mentioned Chris Jericho vs. Chris Benoit at Royal Rumble 2001

M-A-G
03-11-2006, 10:50 AM
Oh, toss in Chris Benoit vs. Eddie Guerrero at Vengeance 2003 for the U.S. Title. The Eddie stuff was just awesome.

McLegend
03-11-2006, 12:23 PM
Last year on Raw

Randy Orton vs. Christian. After Tomko came out through the crowd and killed Orton with a big boot I thought the match was over, but Orton kicked out and won the match.

I loved that match

redoneja
03-11-2006, 12:32 PM
Brian Pillman v Goldust @ Summerslam 1997(idk, I just like it)

Splaya
03-11-2006, 12:36 PM
HHH vs The Rock from Summerslam 98 I want to say (Ladder Match) Match had great spots and great chemistry.

DaveWadding
03-11-2006, 12:36 PM
Bret/Perfect Summerslam 91 :mad: :mad: :mad:

Fox
03-11-2006, 12:42 PM
Chris Jericho vs. The Rock - WCW World Heavyweight Championship - No Mercy 2001 -

An amazing match that saw Jericho capture his first World Title; against The Rock no less. There are a few spots where it could and should have ended cleanly for Y2J, but of course, Rock only jobbed after Stephanie McMahon interfered. Still, a few months later Chris would win the Undisputed Championship, and I think the reaction from this World Title run really helped him to get there.

XL
03-11-2006, 03:28 PM
One of my favourite matches a few years ago was Rhyno vs. Raven for the Hardcore Title at Judgment Day 01 (I think?) Probably my favourite of the year.

Malenko vs Scotty for the LH Title was pretty good from Backlash 2000.

Rammsteinmad
03-11-2006, 03:47 PM
I think the match you mean (XL) was from Backlash 2001. I think Judgement Day was a triple threat or summit.

hb2k
03-11-2006, 03:55 PM
The Midnight Express Vs. The Southern Boys at WCW Bash 90...fantastic match wih great heat.

If anybody knows where I can find more Midnights (Lane/Eaton) tag matches, I'll sex your face.

XL
03-11-2006, 03:59 PM
I think the match you mean (XL) was from Backlash 2001. I think Judgement Day was a triple threat or summit.
Yeah probably, I knew it was one or the other. Looks like I have a liking for card fillers form Backlash PPVs:D

hb2k
03-11-2006, 04:00 PM
On a Backlash card-filler note - Kidman Vs. Tajiri from Backlash 2002 was fantastic.

The One
03-11-2006, 04:14 PM
one of the first SmackDowns....Undertaker/Big Show vs. Rock'N'Sock Buried Alive Match for the Tag Titles. Hunter got involved, Austin was there, afterwards they smashed a ambulence with a truck...just exciting to watch.

The One
03-11-2006, 04:28 PM
Oh and while we're at it...

I think it was a dark match that somehow got online, but Jerry Lynn vs. Essa Rios was awesome, and one of the most exciting matches I have ever seen (and this is coming from a wrestling traditionalist) AJ Styles/Low-Ki/Jerry Lynn vs. The Flyin' Elvises (First aired TNA Match ever)

Lara Emily
03-11-2006, 04:33 PM
Benoit vs Jericho Super J Cup 1995

Rob
03-11-2006, 04:48 PM
God where do I start?

The Rockers vs. Orient Express at Royal Rumble 1991 is the best tag team match in history in my opinion.

The Rockers vs. Haku and The Barberian at WM7 is a prime example of how good Jannetty and Michaels were to make there opponents have a match this good.

New Foundation vs. Orient Express at Rumble 1992.

Billy Kidman vs. Juventud Guerrera on Nitro when Kidman wins the crusierweight title.

Chris Jericho vs. The Rock at No Mercy 2001

Jericho/Benoit vs, HHH/Austin on Raw in 2001 when they win the tag titles (second best tag match ever after the one already mentioned).

Rocky vs. Mankind vs. Ken Shamrock in the Steel Cage at IYH: Breakdown.

Rock vs. HHH Iron Man match (I personally thought it was better than Bret vs. Shawn at Mania 12).

Innovator
03-11-2006, 04:52 PM
Austin Aries vs. Bryan Danielson, Testing the Limit

Xerzes
03-11-2006, 04:53 PM
Vampiro vs. Crowbar, opening match on an episode of Thunder. I want to say 1999 sometime, but not sure. Main event was some crap involving Terry Funk's pants falling down after he an some others had a match with members of NWO Black & White. Was a Hardcore Title match, too. Think it was Norman Smiley and Tank Abbott.

Was sad that, by far, the best match of the night was the opener, between two guys whose pushes had passed them by. No story, no interference, just two skilled wrestlers showing what they had.

And, of course, if you find some recording of the show, you might catch half a second showing some poorly made sign in the upper sections near the main camera, held by the poor shmuck typing this.

Fox
03-11-2006, 05:26 PM
Kurt Angle vs. Kane - WrestleMania X-8 -

Probably Kane's best match to date that most people tend to forget about when thinking about WrestleMania 18.

Evolution
03-11-2006, 09:59 PM
Austin vs Vince and Shane: Ladder Match for control of WWF - KOTR 1999

Some good spots involving all 3 guys, especially when you consider Austin was settling into his knackered phase before surgery, Vince was about 53 and Shane had only been in about 10 matches (most of them against X-Pac)

Also Undertaker vs The Rock WWF Title Match also KOTR 1999

Some gold moments when Paul Bearer hits The Rock with a shoe and then passes UT some ether.

The WWF Attitude Era at it's best. That felt good. One more time...

WWF.

Nowhere Man
03-11-2006, 10:18 PM
Austin vs. Chris Benoit from a Raw in late '00 (I couldn't tell you exactly when). One of the few occasions you got to see SCSA chain-wrestle instead of just brawling.

Rey Mysterio Jr. vs Psicosis at WCW Bash at the Beach '96. Rey/Psi was IMO the best lucha rivalry ever (with the possible exception of Rey/Eddie), and this one was a classic. Great mat wrestling at the start, and some pretty crazy spots. Not as awesome as their 2/3 falls match in ECW, but that's why it's unsung (that and it happened the same night as the forming of the nWo)

Astley316
03-11-2006, 10:41 PM
HHH vs Kane and X Pac vs Shane Mcmamhon, i liked both matches due to the story and the swerves they pulled off

Zen v.W.o.
03-11-2006, 10:52 PM
Owen vs Bulldog, euro tourney finals, on Raw.

Best match raw ever had, most likely.

Owen vs 123 kid from KOTR..greatest short match ever.

Pillman vs Goldust, like said above was also top notch.

Evolution
03-12-2006, 09:47 AM
HHH vs Kane and X Pac vs Shane Mcmahon, i liked both matches due to the story and the swerves they pulled off

I take it you are referring to the matches at WrestleMania XV. They were pretty good.

For anyone who doesn't know the swerves:

Kane and HHH were down, out comes Chyna who had recently left DX to join the Corporation. She throws in the steel steps. A little later, HHH is groggy, Kane is on his feet, Chyna's on the apron with a chair. "Let me hit him". In she comes - Boom! Chair to the back of... KANE! Chyna has returned to DX!

X-Pac vs Shane for Shane's European title. X-Pac is getting owned thanks to the Mean Street Posse who are sat at ringside and Test who was still Shane's bodyguard at this point. Wait a minute: here comes DX! HHH and Chyna have levelled the playing field. Bronco Buster to Test. X-Factor to Shane. HHH pulls out Test. Chyna's trying to get in. The ref is distracted. BOOM! Pedigree on X-Pac! HHH pulls Shane on top of X-Pac. Shane retains and DX is down to just the Outlaws and X-Pac.

Brilliant Attitude era stuff and an overlooked WrestleMania moment.

Mr. JL
03-12-2006, 10:28 AM
Bret Hart V. Shawn Michaels @ Survivor Series 1992

Dustin Rhodes V. Kid Kash @ a TNA PPV in 2005

Jeff Hardy V. Rhyno @ Smack Down! show

RVD V. Sabu @ Wrestlepalooza '98

McLegend
03-12-2006, 11:04 AM
HHH vs HBK from Raw

It was where HBK pinned HHH via the superkick, but HBK's shoulders were also on the ground.

So it was a draw.

Jordan
03-12-2006, 12:30 PM
The Undertaker v.s The Rock from King of the Ring 1999

Volchok
03-12-2006, 12:44 PM
one of the first SmackDowns....Undertaker/Big Show vs. Rock'N'Sock Buried Alive Match for the Tag Titles. Hunter got involved, Austin was there, afterwards they smashed a ambulence with a truck...just exciting to watch.

I was there live for that. It was a pretty sweeet match. Mine would be Rock Vs. Mankind Vs. Shamrock in the Triple Threat Cage match at Breakdown 98', Awesome match.

Astley316
03-12-2006, 01:00 PM
I take it you are referring to the matches at WrestleMania XV. They were pretty good.

Yeah, i went from cheering for for dx, to being a huge triple h fan in the space of that match

Another match i like is the Mr Perfect- Bret Hart match from the first king of the ring tournment, a really good wrestling match both were on top form, and i personally like it more then there earlier Summerslam IC title match which everyone tends to remember

McLegend
03-12-2006, 01:15 PM
Disco Inferno vs Saturn for the TV title on Nitro. The match where Disco won.

Stickman
03-12-2006, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior V Papa Shango...........kidding.

James Steele
03-12-2006, 03:13 PM
Ric Flair vs. Undertaker @ WrestleMania X8.

Cruiserweight 3:16
03-12-2006, 03:23 PM
Rock vs. HHH, Backlash 2000

Skippord
03-12-2006, 04:39 PM
Chris Sabin Vs Christopher Daniels Vs Lo Ki Vs Michael Shane in Ultamite X2

My favorite TNA match ever and also the first Chris Sabin match I saw

Disturbed316
03-12-2006, 05:06 PM
One of my favourite matches a few years ago was Rhyno vs. Raven for the Hardcore Title at Judgment Day 01 (I think?) Probably my favourite of the year.

It was Backlash. I loved it when Rhyno GORED the shopping cart :'(

John la Rock
03-12-2006, 05:08 PM

:y:

indeed very underrated match

John la Rock
03-12-2006, 05:08 PM

:y:

indeed very underrated match

The Optimist
03-12-2006, 05:42 PM
I remember a triple threat between Rey, Kidman, and Juvi at the Starrcade when Goldberg lost that rocked my socks. Mostly cause I can mark out for anyone of those guys at the drop of a hat.

Loose Cannon
03-12-2006, 05:49 PM
Also:

Blondes vs Steamboat/Douglas: Where they won the belts

Roberts/Savage: Tuesday Night in Texas

Outlaws/Hadcore Legends: Cage match on Raw when the 2nd DX formed

Doink vs Bret, Then Lawler vs Bret: Summerslam 93

Colossal Connection vs Demolition: Mania 6.

Piper/Adonis: Mania 3. The buildup was awesome.

Flair/Anderson: Havoc 95: Pillman comes in and kicks Flair in the head and Arn hits the DDT to take it :cool:

weather vane
03-12-2006, 06:25 PM
Colossal Connection vs Demolition was HUGE. That match got the biggest reaction of the night. The wresting wasn't all that great and considering Andre barely got into the ring is crazy. Demolition was so over and when Andre rode by himself in the cart it was great.

One of my favorite matches.

redoneja
03-12-2006, 06:40 PM
Flair/Anderson: Havoc 95: Pillman comes in and kicks Flair in the head and Arn hits the DDT to take it :cool:

That was actually at Fall Brawl 1995.

Loose Cannon
03-12-2006, 06:42 PM
oh yea, they teamed at Havoc and Flair turned on Sting, Horsemen_style :cool:

my bad.

Aussie Skier
03-12-2006, 07:09 PM
Last year on Raw

Randy Orton vs. Christian. After Tomko came out through the crowd and killed Orton with a big boot I thought the match was over, but Orton kicked out and won the match.

I loved that match

agree...that match was brilliant!!!

I'll also say Lesner VS Eddie G @ No way Out. That match is so awesome...when the match finishes, you can hardly believe you've been watching a 30min + match!

Sting Fan
03-12-2006, 07:29 PM
Yeah agreed on Eddie vs. Brock, great big man vs. Little man match.

Cactus Sid
03-13-2006, 06:03 PM
Rocky vs. Mankind vs. Ken Shamrock in the Steel Cage at IYH: Breakdown.

God damn, I loved that match

A match that does get plaudits, but I don't hear mentioned that often around here, is Bret vs Bulldog at Summerslam 92, absolutely fantastic.

PureHatred
03-13-2006, 06:05 PM
Bret Hart v Dynamite Kid from MSG. They showed it on USA Primetime.

KillerWolf
03-13-2006, 06:12 PM
Eddie vs. Edge on RAW a few years ago. i think it may have been a ladder match. Edge won. Eddie, the heel, got a standing ovation.

Bret Hart vs. Roddy Piper at WM8.

Randy Savage vs. Jake Roberts... i think it was Survivor Series '91. the one where Jake slapped Elizabeth.

V
03-15-2006, 12:07 AM

i loved when undertaker counted to 10 on his bike :love:

mrslackalack
03-15-2006, 01:10 AM
Perfect/Flair in a Loser leaves town match on an early RAW in Jan 93.

LK
03-15-2006, 07:07 AM
Rhyno vs Raven at BAcklash 2001 - Easily the best hardcore match the WWE ever put on.

A match between Christian and Orton on Raw - Ace.

Orton vs Benjamin on Raw - See Captain Charisma/Legend Killer.

Loose Cannon
03-15-2006, 07:08 AM
Randy Savage vs. Jake Roberts... i think it was Survivor Series '91. the one where Jake slapped Elizabeth.

Tuesday in Texas

What Would Kevin Do?
03-15-2006, 11:49 AM
Rhyno vs Raven at BAcklash 2001 - Easily the best hardcore match the WWE ever put on.

A match between Christian and Orton on Raw - Ace.

Orton vs Benjamin on Raw - See Captain Charisma/Legend Killer.

Raven dodging the gore and Rhyno goring the shopping cart and getting trapped was brillant.

McLegend
03-15-2006, 08:08 PM
I also think Angle/Jannetty from SD last year was a great match

Nervous Ferret
03-15-2006, 08:13 PM
Last year on Raw

I loved that matchIn Japan, Christian called all his Jap fans "Jeeps" :love:

Innovator
03-15-2006, 08:13 PM
Stone Cold vs. Angle, Summerslam 2001

corey99999
03-16-2006, 12:07 AM
Eddie Guererro vs Brock Lesnar- No Way Out 2004....That match was awesome imo

Chico
03-16-2006, 12:38 AM
Goldberg v Scott Steiner - Fall Brawl 2000

Raven v Bam Bam Bigelow v Hak - Uncensored 1999
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpm4xjwWrW0&search=hak%20raven%20bigelow

Fox
03-16-2006, 12:53 AM
Goldberg vs. Diamond Dallas Page - Halloween Havoc 1999

Probably Goldberg's best match, ever.

Screaming Monkey
03-16-2006, 05:54 AM
Perfect/Flair in a Loser leaves town match on an early RAW in Jan 93.

Damn straight! Perfect rarely showed emotion, but he did then...great great match.

I;d also add jericho V HHH LMS - Fully Loaded 2000? Does anyone else think that card was a rare one where they first tried a new mix of people to fight each other? I think you also had Benoit v Rock? because by the next PPV you had once again Benoit v jericho and Rock v HHH.

James Steele
03-16-2006, 08:31 AM
Goldberg vs. Diamond Dallas Page - Halloween Havoc 1999

Probably Goldberg's best match, ever.

I was marking out everytime DDP had a nearfall. I remember when they showed the match the next night on Nitro because the PPV went out almost everywhere. I was sad for days when I found out DDP didn't win.

tucsonspeed6
03-16-2006, 04:36 PM
DOn't know if I'll catch shit for this or not, but the only thing I can remember is the 'Taker/ Jeff Hardy Ladder Match. It wasn't the best technically, but its the last time I remember really sitting on the edge of my seat for a match.

KillerWolf
03-16-2006, 08:35 PM

XL
03-16-2006, 10:17 PM
I;d also add jericho V HHH LMS - Fully Loaded 2000? Does anyone else think that card was a rare one where they first tried a new mix of people to fight each other? I think you also had Benoit v Rock? because by the next PPV you had once again Benoit v jericho and Rock v HHH.
Gotta agree with that call! That PPV is probably one of the best (non-Big 4 or 5) PPVs ever.

Not sure bout your last comment though, I think the next PPV main event was Rock/Benoit/Kane/Undertaker

Anybody Thrilla
03-16-2006, 11:52 PM
From a Saturday Night's Main Event in 1992
intercontinental title match
Shawn Michaels vs. "The British Bulldog" Davey Boy Smith (c)

I mention this match every chance I get, because it is one of my absolute favorites. I really doubt too many people remember it though, which is a shame. This was the first time I personally saw the spot where the heel removes the turnbuckle padding and uses it to his advantage. This was Shawn's first Intercontinental title win, and even though he was a heel, I remember not being overly pissed about it. Even though I was a British Bulldog fan. This may have been the moment where I started cheering for heels.

Anybody Thrilla
03-16-2006, 11:54 PM
DOn't know if I'll catch shit for this or not, but the only thing I can remember is the 'Taker/ Jeff Hardy Ladder Match. It wasn't the best technically, but its the last time I remember really sitting on the edge of my seat for a match.

Agreed. I'm not an Undertaker or a Jeff Hardy fan, but I will give credit where it is due. Both guys played their parts well in this one.

Come to think of it, this was during the ONLY run where I actually kinda liked The Undertaker. When he was the bad ass, take no shit, motorcycle riding, Undisputed champion. As soon as they added lyrics to his theme music, though, the character went downhill for me.

Fox
03-17-2006, 12:29 AM

That was an incredible match. I still get goosebumps watching Undertaker rear back to knock out Hardy after the match is over, and then pat him on the head and leave shaking his own head at Jeff's resilience.

I seriously thought that Jeff could have gone on to have an incredible Intercontinental Title run after that match, but, of course, he fucked it up by doing a bunch of drugs and getting fired.

Fox
03-17-2006, 12:32 AM

FULLY LOADED 2000:

-The Hardy Boys & Lita def. Test, Albert and Trish Stratus
-Tazz def. Al Snow
-Perry Saturn def. Eddie Guerrero for the European Championship
-The Acolytes def. Edge & Christian via DQ
-Val Venis def. Rikishi in a Steel Cage Match for the Intercontinental Championship
-The Undertaker def. Kurt Angle
-Triple H def. Chris Jericho in a Last Man Standing Match
-The Rock def. Chris Benoit for the WWF Championship

:y: Awesome show; I still have it on tape.

Anybody Thrilla
03-17-2006, 12:47 AM
"-Val Venis def. Rikishi in a Steel Cage Match for the Intercontinental Championship "

Um, what? I don't remember this at all.

ddpBANG
03-17-2006, 02:21 AM
"-Val Venis def. Rikishi in a Steel Cage Match for the Intercontinental Championship "

Um, what? I don't remember this at all.
You've never seen Rikishi splash Val from the top of the cage?

¡Coñaso!
03-17-2006, 01:56 PM
Something about the Jeff Hardy vs Undertaker for the WWE Title in a Ladder match on Smackdown that just stands out.
You knew damn well Jeff wasn't gonna win it but ionno, at the same time I was wondering if he would in fact win. Just a pretty dramatic match that made me believe wrestling was real again, well atleast for like... 2 minutes.

Arnold HamNegger
03-17-2006, 02:34 PM
Mine would have to be RVD vs. Christian in a ladder match for the IC Title on RAW 9/29/03.

The fact that this match was on RAW is amazing by today's standards....and also depressing, because it show's how the quality of RAW has declined through the years. I'd love to see RVD vs. Shelton in the same type of match on RAW soon.

Evolution
03-17-2006, 05:10 PM
With regards to Taker/Hardy: If you were Jeff Hardy in that match, how tempted would you have been to grab the belt?

I mean, he had to know that his chances of getting another title shot were slim-nil. If it were me, I'd have just gone "Fuck it" and grabbed the belt.

Then I would have lost the title back to Undertaker at the next SmackDOWN! taping, but my name would have been on that small list of Undisputed Champions.

Chris Jericho
Triple H
Hulk Hogan
The Undertaker
Jeff Hardy
The Undertaker
The Rock
Brock Lesnar

Imagine that....

Shadow just probably jizzd all over the monitor.

Fox
03-17-2006, 11:56 PM
With regards to Taker/Hardy: If you were Jeff Hardy in that match, how tempted would you have been to grab the belt?

I mean, he had to know that his chances of getting another title shot were slim-nil. If it were me, I'd have just gone "Fuck it" and grabbed the belt.

Then I would have lost the title back to Undertaker at the next SmackDOWN! taping, but my name would have been on that small list of Undisputed Champions.

Chris Jericho
Triple H
Hulk Hogan
The Undertaker
Jeff Hardy
The Undertaker
The Rock
Brock Lesnar

Imagine that....

Shadow just probably jizzd all over the monitor.

Taker would have stiffed Hardy all over the fucking ring if he had pulled a stunt like that.

Hardy wouldn't even defend the title; they would say he was "permanently removed from the WWE roster due to injuries" and give the Undisputed Title back to Undertaker, AFTER firing his painted up, emo loving ass.