PDA

View Full Version : summerslam, survivor series,..anthology?

The Genius
03-20-2006, 05:32 PM
i bought my WM anthology a few weeks ago and was wondering if the wwe has plans to release previous ppvs on dvd. i grew up watching wwf in the late 80s thru the 90s and need to see some of those classic matches again.

Rob
03-20-2006, 05:35 PM
I'd love it but I can't stand edited announcing and those fucking blurred logos.

Xero
03-20-2006, 05:35 PM
From what I've heard they're considering it but it's a big job because of all the editing with the WWF logos and words...

TerranRich
03-20-2006, 05:40 PM
...and the themes. Don't forget the themes. For some odd reason, they can't play Slick's "Jive Soul Bro" theme. :wtf:

Bad Company
03-20-2006, 05:44 PM
From what I've heard they're considering it but it's a big job because of all the editing with the WWF logos and words...
Hardly a big job really though, it's what people are paid to do!

Xero
03-20-2006, 05:45 PM
Hardly a big job really though, it's what people are paid to do!
They have to blur every fucking logo. They have to move the blur when the camera or a wrestler moves. It's not a very easy job for any number of people.

NeanderCarl
03-21-2006, 12:34 AM
If you want these shows on DVD order the Silver Vision UK Tagged Classics, I think you get them in their original format too, meaning no dubs and commentary intact. No extras though, just the shows.

They tend to do them in pairs by the same event, so for example you'll get Royal Rumble '89 and '90 on one disk, then Royal Rumble '91 and '92 on the next and so on, across all the PPVs.

I think they're only released in the UK but I'm sure Amazon or Silver Vision will ship them to the U.S. and if you have a multi-region DVD player you should be fine.

Obviously, it isn't as fancy as a box set but at least you'll have the shows on DVD in their original state.

The One
03-21-2006, 12:37 AM
I wouldn't be suprised to see them do it. However, I think a lot of weather or not they do will be based off the sales of the WrestleManias, which, unless someone knows, I havn't heard anything about them selling very well...havn't heard they havn't sold though...basically what I am asking is if anyone has the figures of how many WrestleMania Anthologies have been sold.

NeanderCarl
03-21-2006, 12:40 AM
surely the WWE could reach a deal with WWF, whereby they give a nice donation to the fund every year, in return for use of the WWF initials with regards to their back catalogue, and selling old material... anyway there are no restrictions on the old WWF block logo, just on the scratchy logo introduced in 1997, so the earlier shows should be a doddle.

Out of interest, who commentates the matches on these DVDs if the original track is dubbed over? Man, I'm not liking the sound of that... Gino and Jesse were legends, and Heenan and Monsoon was a good line-up also! They made the shows back in the first 8 WMs.

The One
03-21-2006, 12:41 AM
WWF (Fund) didn't accept WWE's multi-million dollar offer a few years ago to allow them to show WWF logos on past videos...why would they now?

NeanderCarl
03-21-2006, 12:56 AM
So why let them use the much clearer block logo, but not the scratch logo??? And allow them use of a WWF logo, yet not actually SAY the words "WWF"??? It makes zero sense.

I reckon the Panda People are just tryin to head-fuck Vince McMahon as revenge for all the wrestlers he's fucked over with senseless angles and gimmicks over the years.

Lara Emily
03-21-2006, 01:28 AM
So why let them use the much clearer block logo, but not the scratch logo??? And allow them use of a WWF logo, yet not actually SAY the words "WWF"??? It makes zero sense.

I reckon the Panda People are just tryin to head-fuck Vince McMahon as revenge for all the wrestlers he's fucked over with senseless angles and gimmicks over the years.

The license agreement or whatever it's called is still ok on the usage of the old block logo, when Vince changed to the scratch logo he broke the agreement so anything with the scratch logo has to be covered up.

At least that's how I always understood it.

Xero
03-21-2006, 08:29 AM
surely the WWE could reach a deal with WWF, whereby they give a nice donation to the fund every year, in return for use of the WWF initials with regards to their back catalogue, and selling old material... anyway there are no restrictions on the old WWF block logo, just on the scratchy logo introduced in 1997, so the earlier shows should be a doddle.

Out of interest, who commentates the matches on these DVDs if the original track is dubbed over? Man, I'm not liking the sound of that... Gino and Jesse were legends, and Heenan and Monsoon was a good line-up also! They made the shows back in the first 8 WMs.
As far as I know, they just mute the commentators and there are long gaps with no commentary. They also block out Michael Buffer for WCW matches.

Loose Cannon
03-21-2006, 07:08 PM
It would be great, but I would hate all this edited stuff and I have most of the main PPV's on Coliseum Videos already.

Loose Cannon
03-21-2006, 07:11 PM
yea, and the next thing I buy is going to be a multi-region DVD player so I can get those god dam Tagged Classics

Xero
03-21-2006, 08:07 PM
If you have a DVD drive in your PC it should be able to play any region (providing you have software that is regionless).

mrslackalack
03-21-2006, 09:17 PM
I would like to see them come out. On Dusty's DVD his 1989 matchers from Summerslam and SS are on there and they had Ventura Commentary so it will be interesting to see if it is on there or not.

Loose Cannon
03-21-2006, 10:01 PM
woah what. The Dusty DVD came out?

mrslackalack
03-21-2006, 10:18 PM
woah what. The Dusty DVD came out?

Nope June 6th, what I meant was Ventura annouced Summerslam and SS that year and it will be interesting to see if his commentary will be on there or not because sometimes it is and sometimes its not.

weather vane
03-21-2006, 11:47 PM
I don't understand why Jesse isn't on anything? Can somebody explain this to me? It is one thing that has me stumped.

Xero
03-22-2006, 09:37 AM
I don't understand why Jesse isn't on anything? Can somebody explain this to me? It is one thing that has me stumped.
From what I've heard, he sued the WWE for releasing his commentery on video because he only signed a contract for live broadcasts, not video releases. I guess he sued after everything (SummerSlam, Mania, etc) was released, and got the settlement.

As I understand it, he was kept on the WrestleMania anthology because the WWE already paid him for those releases, and since they were (technically) re-releases they could keep them on.

Don't quote me on that, though, I'm not 100% sure.

mrslackalack
03-22-2006, 12:43 PM
From what I've heard, he sued the WWE for releasing his commentery on video because he only signed a contract for live broadcasts, not video releases. I guess he sued after everything (SummerSlam, Mania, etc) was released, and got the settlement.

As I understand it, he was kept on the WrestleMania anthology because the WWE already paid him for those releases, and since they were (technically) re-releases they could keep them on.

Don't quote me on that, though, I'm not 100% sure.

Yep thats how I have understood it and now Vince makes sure every annoucer gets signed for video releases in additon to the broadcasts.