PDA

View Full Version : So JR is coming back?

Stickman
03-23-2006, 12:26 PM
From the main page, it said that Vince isn't happy about the announce team and is thinking of putting JR back on. What the fuck? Joey Styles IS NOT the problem. The problem is the Coach talking too much, and the King adding very little. If they fired Styles, the announce team will still suck. The play by play guy is not and has not been the problem.

CSL
03-23-2006, 12:36 PM
<font color=white>I personally would not be against Joey Styles going to Smackdown as their lead announcer with J.R coming back to RAW</font>

94 SVT Cobra
03-23-2006, 01:10 PM
I never thought i hated JR, then i noticed him not around, and realized...i couldnt stand the guy

Xero
03-23-2006, 01:11 PM
In my opinion they really need that indifferent announcer (brand-wise), especially if they're going to have three.

I say they do something like what they did with JR at SNME. Have him commentate all the PPVs. Cole, Tazz, and JR on SmackDown! only PPVs, Joey, King, and JR on RAW only PPVs, and all five for split-brand PPVs (with JR commentating with the current match's show's announcer). For brand vs. brand matches do what they did at SNME where it's say Tazz, JR, and King.

Or something similar to that.

Kane Knight
03-23-2006, 03:14 PM
They haven't really confirmed this yet. And I hope to God they don't.

If they do, just bring him back for Austin matches. It's the only time he gives a shit or even tries.

Team Sheep
03-23-2006, 03:38 PM
I think Styles still needs to mature a bit as an announcer. I think he should be dropped from Raw for a while, bring JR back in, and let Styles call Heat for a while. Then bring him back when he's in need.

Kane Knight
03-23-2006, 03:48 PM
Styles is fine.

Londoner
03-23-2006, 03:48 PM
Styles needs to mature a bit as an announcer?Wtf?

Yeah,I guess JR and King are such matured announcers....

Styles has done nothing wrong.I wouldn't mind JR being sent to Smackdown in place of Micheal Cole though.

V
03-23-2006, 04:10 PM
personally, i'd love to see JR back. imo he's the only one who can make the shit seem "real"

like when orton RKO'd cena on raw.. it's like the announcers didn't even care. they just said that orton RKO'd cena in monotone like it was nothing special.

JR woulda been like "BAH GAWD SONUFABITCH ORTON, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE, BEATING CENA LIKE A SCALDIDIDID DAAWG, BAH GAWD RKO, WHO DOES ORTON THINK HE IS, GO BACK TO SMACKDOWN"

coach annoys me the most, like not even in a heel way, i just want to mute him. STyles is pretty good, King is meh... but my personal favourite combination would be heyman and JR

Kane Knight
03-23-2006, 04:13 PM
Heyman could make any announce team sound competent.

"cept Lawler, because Lawler would waste all his time trying to make HEyman look bad.

Volare
03-23-2006, 04:16 PM
i loved Heyman doing Commentary for WM X7 good coverage and a nice edge to a color commentary's position

Team Sheep
03-23-2006, 05:01 PM
Styles needs to mature a bit as an announcer?Wtf?

Yeah,I guess JR and King are such matured announcers....

Styles has done nothing wrong.I wouldn't mind JR being sent to Smackdown in place of Micheal Cole though.

By maturity, I mean he needs to put some more raw emotion into his words. Like Gohan said, Styles didn't give a shit about Orton invading Raw the other week. But he'll learn to do that over time, just like JR has over the years, and that's all down to his years of experience with WWE. Let's face it, Styles doesn't have the most colourful experience behind the table.

Kane Knight
03-23-2006, 07:09 PM
Screaming like you're retarded doesn't make you a good announcer.

Mr. Nerfect
03-23-2006, 07:24 PM
By maturity, I mean he needs to put some more raw emotion into his words. Like Gohan said, Styles didn't give a shit about Orton invading Raw the other week. But he'll learn to do that over time, just like JR has over the years, and that's all down to his years of experience with WWE. Let's face it, Styles doesn't have the most colourful experience behind the table.

I can understand what you're saying, but do you really think forced emotion is the way to go? I didn't care that Randy Orton RKO'd Cena, should I pretend I do? It was pretty obvious why Orton RKO'd Cena (match at SNME), but they still were told by WWE management (who else could come up with shit like this) to make it seem mysterious.

I hope Joey Styles shoots all over the WWE when they try and feed him crap from now on. Styles is great, he can call matches, and he knows how to put emotion in. Styles also has the ability for knowing when to put emotion in. Let Styles call matches the way he wants.

Jerry Lawler is probably the weakest link in the announce team, at the moment. He's not bad, he used to be quite good, but right now all he does is add lame comments to the show. Move him out.

Jonathan Coachman is good, in my opinion. A lot of people don't like him, but I think he has A LOT of potential. I'd have him become some kind of manager-type, and have him accompany guys to the ring, then go on commentary and sing their praises.

So that leaves Joey Styles with no one next to him when he calls RAW. Styles has proven he can do that, I think they should have someone next to him. Jim Ross would make a fine colour commentator, but he's not what the WWE is looking for, and then you have the fact that he would probably try and take over the booth (just out of instict). Joey Styles & JR would either have a great blend of play-by-play and BAH GAWD, or it will be absolutely awful.

I think Joey Styles & Paul Heyman would make a great announce team. Sure, both guys are associated with ECW, but what better way to introduce us to a new era of wrestling than by having the ECW Owner sit next to his commentator as RAW's announce team?

Joey Styles is brilliant at calling matches, Heyman is brilliant at building a show and putting some kind of sick emotion into everything. Heyman has proven he can even get people over on commentary (Rhyno). I would give them a trial together.

Team Sheep
03-24-2006, 12:29 PM
No, screaming like a retard doesn't make you a good announcer, but it's better for an announcer to express his anger by shouting, rather than Styles just give a weak "Randy Orton?" JR didn't miss a beat at SNME, and he certainly proved his worth as an announcer, and what he's capable of. Like Ross said in his interview last week, Styles needs to be more assertive as the head announcer. The three are just shouting all over eachother, and it should be Styles' responsibility to control that, and JR did that well before he was 'fired'. To me, Styles' commentary doesn't seem credible, he sounds liek some kind of whiney cartoon voice, whilst JR sounds like a crazy Southener who catches people's attention. Don't get me wrong, Styles knows his shit, and is a very knowledgable guy. Just the way he comes across when he says things, just sounds amateurish to me.

Stickman
03-24-2006, 12:37 PM
No, screaming like a retard doesn't make you a good announcer, but it's better for an announcer to express his anger by shouting, rather than Styles just give a weak "Randy Orton?" JR didn't miss a beat at SNME, and he certainly proved his worth as an announcer, and what he's capable of. Like Ross said in his interview last week, Styles needs to be more assertive as the head announcer. The three are just shouting all over eachother, and it should be Styles' responsibility to control that, and JR did that well before he was 'fired'. To me, Styles' commentary doesn't seem credible, he sounds liek some kind of whiney cartoon voice, whilst JR sounds like a crazy Southener who catches people's attention. Don't get me wrong, Styles knows his shit, and is a very knowledgable guy. Just the way he comes across when he says things, just sounds amateurish to me.

So King and Coach opening their yaps way too much is Joey's problem? Coach has the loudest natural voice of all announcers, even JR can't talk over him.

Kane Knight
03-24-2006, 12:46 PM
So King and Coach opening their yaps way too much is Joey's problem? Coach has the loudest natural voice of all announcers, even JR can't talk over him.

That just makes him a good announcer.

You don't have to know a wristlock from a wristwatch, as long as you can shout more than the other guys and give us shitty, forced emotion.

dablackguy
03-24-2006, 01:13 PM
I have missed JR a bit, but I dont want him back over Styles
King contributes nothing solid of his own and coach has his moments
This announce team has only been in place a couple of months, Vince should give it more of a chance

Mr. Nerfect
03-24-2006, 07:09 PM
I don't think the problem is Joey Styles being assertive. He has proven he can do that. I think it is the WWE monitoring over him. JR never would have had that problem (in ratio to how Joey Styles has it), because JR was seen as "above" other commentators.

Joey Styles knows how to call a match, and he can place appropriate emotion in, but that is hard to do when you have people in your ear telling you to talk about something else, or telling you to not call a move that, etc. An example would be when Shane McMahon used a Van Terminator. You could tell Styles wanted to just scream out "VAN TERMINATOR!" and possibly tell us that RVD used to do that all the time in ECW, but he didn't. He didn't know what to make of the situation, and whether or not he should relate it to his past beyond the WWE, and the WWE audience.

The WWE needs to let Styles call the way he wants. Talk into Jonathan Coachman's ear, or Jerry Lawler's ear. You have two colour commentators, thus they should have different duties, otherwise they overlap. Have one focus on the match with Styles, and another listening to what the WWE wants the commentators to discuss for later that night.

And hyperbole is not your friend. JR could pull it off, because you could sense the passion. It wasn't fake passion, the WWE was the end-all for JR (at least on-screen). He generally took an interest in the guys in the wrestling ring, partially because he hired a lot of them. They were his children competing in front of thousands of people, holding their interest all the while. He was proud of the WWE, and for just reason.

Jerry Lawler cannot pull it off. Lawler's past is one as a wrestler. A former World Champion. He looks at talent, sees what they do right, sees what they do wrong. He usually points out what they do wrong, because even though he's retired, he wants to protect the placing in the business. Seeing talent break-out should make The King's character sick.

Jonathan Coachman is a play-by-play guy turned heel, and turned colour. He should know the most about the wrestlers from his years spent as an interviewer. He should do the research and leg work for the team.

I think there is hope for this team, but if Styles is not allowed to do thorough play-by-play, if Lawler doesn't contribute to the commentary, and if Jonathan Coachman doesn't break out of his shell (there's something missing from the guy's commentary-style, I personally believe he just feels overwhelmed).

I don't know why they haven't asked Joey Styles to do Heat with Jonathan Coachman. Apparently these are the two guys Vince is most unhappy with, so why not let them practice with each other on Heat? Let Styles build up familiarity with one commentator, and then that chemistry can transfer over to RAW. If Lawler feels left out, it might actually force him to start pulling his own weight.

Mr. Nerfect
03-24-2006, 07:11 PM
I am interested to hear what Vermaat says on the issue of commentary within the WWE. He seems to have a good knowledge of wrestling, even if he applies it wrong, I wonder how he feels about the Vince/Joey Styles issues.

addy2hotty
03-24-2006, 07:47 PM
I think it spoke volumes about the WWE's view on Styles when they let Coach do the lead in announcing on Raw last Monday. As sad as it may sound, I wouldn't be surprised if Styles was dropped for Mania and onwards in favour of JR.

As for Lawler, I used to think he was a great colour commentator, now I think the same as Tazz does. Check out his recent comments about him, they are on news sites around. I'll copy and paste if people want me to.