PDA

View Full Version : Your top 5 favorite teams ever.

Arnold HamNegger
04-07-2006, 02:07 PM
I was watching "The top 5 reasons you can't blame Chris Webber..." on ESPN classic this week and it reminded me how much I loved the Fab 5. It's a damn shame that they've been erased from the history books. Oh well, here's my top 5:

5. 1984 Detroit Tigers
(Arguably one of the most dominating baseball teams in history. They won the World Series finishing with an overall record of 111-59. (Playoffs included). Will I live to see the Tigers win it again.....uhhhhhh, hmmmm?)

4. 1991 Detroit Lions
(The closest they've ever come to the Super Bowl and also the last year they've won a playoff game. The environment for the playoff victory over the Cowboys was the best they've ever had in Detroit....followed by a 41-10 embarrassment in Washington in the NFC Championship game. BRING BACK COCAINE WAYNE!!!!)

3. Pistons of 2004- current.
(I currently live in LA, so that made the 2004 championship extra sweet. I was taking a beating from all the Laker fans out here.....then they started the first game.)

2. The Fab 5 of Michigan
(I die a little inside every time I see the "Webber Timeout".)

1. The Bad Boy Pistons
(This hands down was my favorite team of all time. I remember playing basketball for my schools team in JR. High and the amount of technical fouls went through the roof with everyone copying Detroit's style through that period in Michigan. Thank god they finally won a couple championships because it was hartbreak for years via "The Steal By Bird" and "The Phantom Foul" that cost them the title against the Lakers. The only team in history that severely handed Jordan his ass for years...enough said :) )

The Miz
04-07-2006, 11:29 PM
1. 2001 Seattle Mariners (Boone, Ichiro, Edgar, Cameron, Mark Mac, Olerud, Freddy G, Moyer, Kaz)

2. 1996 Seattle Supersonics (GP, Schremp, Kemp, Perkins, Hawkins)

3. 2005 Seattle Seahawks (Hasselbeck, Alexander, Jurevicius, Engram, Stevens, Hutchinson, Tatupu)

4. 2004-05 Washington Huskies Men's Basketball (Robinson, Roy, Jones, Simmons, Williams, Conroy)

5. 1995 Seattle Mariners (EDGAR, Buhner, Tino, Big Unit, Ken Jr.)

Honorable mention - 1991 Washington football (Brunell and a bunch of guys no one here will have heard of)

Skippord
04-08-2006, 04:35 PM
1.98 Broncos-just pure awesome year "This Ones For JOHN"

2.00 Avs-second title and the one I remember

3.99 Broncos-second title and our blowout revenge

4.04 Nuggets-first time they were good since I was born

5.96 Avs-first team from Colorado to win a national title

Bo
04-09-2006, 01:51 AM
Only one team that matters to me

Alabama Crimson Tide !

DaveWadding
04-09-2006, 02:02 AM
1. 01 D'Backs - Only pro sports championship in AZ History
2. 04-Present Suns - They all are awesome. :love:
3. 01 Rams - Fuck Adam Vinatieri.
4. 92-93 Suns - Fuck John Paxson.
5. 03 Cubs - Fuck Steve Bartman.

YOUR Hero
04-09-2006, 06:27 PM
77-79 Canadiens - I was like 9-10 years old and finally watching enough hockey to care and follow it. The Habs were winning their 3rd and 4th Cups in a row. Guy Lafleur, Steve Shutt, Larry Robinson, Jacques LeMaire, Bob Savard... just to name a few.

91-93 Blue Jays - Their championship years. WAMCO baby. Winfield came in made these guys winners. Same thing the next year with Molitor. Greatest core ever (little bias on my part perhaps)

80-84 Expos - Gary Carter, Andre Dawson, Tim Wallach, Tim Raines, some guy named Pete Rose, Steve Rogers, Jeff Reardon amongst others. Now this team didn't win any championships and only 1 divisions , but they were great teams, fun to watch. Made me a baseball fan.

mid-late 80's (84-87 especially) Blue Jays.- Jays won 96 games that year.... Moseby, Barfield, Bell in the outfield best ever. Gruber, Whitt, Upshaw, Fernandez, Steib, Key, Henke. OMG, they were the best non championship team I've ever seen.

(I expected to see an Expos/Blue Jays WS series in these years)

85-86 Canadiens - Very young team, came out of nowhere to win the cup. A young Patrick Roy, Chris Chelios, Claude Lemieux. These guys were fun to watch. They didn't meet the lofty expectations that they were branded with. Keep in mind though, the Edmonton Oilers were still monsters and so were the Calgary Flames.

Honourable mentions to the 80-85 Islanders, and the the 84-90 Oilers.

Both of these core teams were better than maybe any other cores ever assembled. Guys like Bossy, Trottier, Tonelli, Potvin, Goring, Messier, Gretzky, Anderson, Fuhr... so many players I loved to watch and emulate.

Arnold HamNegger
04-10-2006, 06:59 PM
Honorable mention - 1991 Washington football (Brunell and a bunch of guys no one here will have heard of)

Yeah, I remember that team all too well. Rose Bowl- Washington 34 Michigan 14. :nono:

But, U of M got their revenge next year 38-31. ;)

BCWWF
04-10-2006, 07:35 PM
Ohh, I'm excited to do this later.

1. 1991 Twins (Puckett, Hrbek, Knoblauch, Morris, Erickson etc. etc. etc.)
2. 2004 Timberwolves (KG4-MVP, Cassell, Spree, Hassell, etc.)
3. 1998 Vikings (Moss, Cunningham, Carter, Rudd, lots more)
4. 2002 Twins (Hunter, Jones, Radke, Mienkie, AJ, Koskie, Rivas, everybody)
5. 2003 Wild (Gaborik, Roloson, Ronning, Mitchell, Johnson, etc.)

Too bad they are all home teams, I might try to revise later

Joey Slugs
04-11-2006, 12:56 AM
5. 1991 Chicago Blackhawks - Last team to make the Stanley Cup Finals.

4. 1983 Chicago White Sox - This is the season where I learned the basics of baseball and when I first started going to games. Will always have a special place in my heart.

3. 1985 Chicago Bears - Monsters of the Midway. Nuff said.

2. 1994 Chicago White Sox - McDowell/Alvarez/Bere/Fernandez/Sanderson (aka: the best rotation in baseball) Should of won the series back then. Fucking strike.

1b. 1995 Chicago Bulls - 72 wins. Greatest basketball team ever.

1a. 2005 Chicago White Sox - 10.26.05

weather vane
04-11-2006, 01:51 AM
In no particular order ...

1989-1990 Boston Bruins - Made the Stanley Cup Finals and almost pulled it out. Bourque won a Norris, Kluzak won the Masterton, Moog won the Jennings and Neely was outstanding.

2003-2004 Boston Red Sox - They won the World Series and the team was just amazing. Such a cast of wacky guys and just a great team all around. Probably my favorite team of all time.

2003-2004 Boston Bruins - A stellar regular season with a lot of great moves. This was the first year that I was really proud of management for the trades and pick ups that they made. If only they beat out The Canadiens in the first round we might be saying greater things about this team.

1986 Boston Celtics - Bird, Parrish, Ainge, McHale, Johnson = NBA CHAMPS!

1972 Miami Dolphins - 17-0? Enough said.

loopydate
04-18-2006, 11:14 PM
5) Central Michigan University Men's Basketball Team (2002-2003)

I transferred to CMU in the fall of 2002, and my first year there, the team made the NCAA tournament on the back of Chris Kaman (who went pro the next year instead of playing his senior year :mad: ). Campus got so swept up in that team, it was pretty cool (even for someone with no real attachment to the university like me).

4) University of Michigan Men's Basketball Team (The "Fab Five" years)

I don't think there's anyone in the state of Michigan who doesn't look back fondly on those teams, even with all the recent controversy. How the hell do five freshmen lead their team that deep into the NCAA tournament? And how do five sophomores come within a bad timeout of winning it all? God, that was a great team.

3) Detroit Pistons (1988-1990 The "Bad Boys")

I was only six when the Pistons won the 1989 championship, but I watched all the games because my dad watched all the games. That's what got me hooked on basketball for life. I still think Isiah & Joe may have been the greatest backcourt in basketball history on any level.

2) Detroit Tigers (Early 1990s)

As a kid, I adored baseball. In the early 1990s, I watched every Tigers game. Fielder, Whitaker, Trammell, Phillips, Tettleton, Cuyler, Fryman, Deer, Kreuter, Henneman, Tanana, Gullickson, Mark Leiter, Lima, etc. I loved that team. I used to re-enact their games in the side yard of my parents' old house. Of course, they never lost when I played. Funny how that worked.

1) Detroit Pistons (2001-Present)

As I mentioned earlier, I fell in love with the "Bad Boy" Pistons as a kid, but I've never lived and died with a team the way I have for the current Pistons. The greatest starting five in the game, plus such great supporting players on the bench. I sincerely hope that these guys are as loyal to the city as the city is to them and that we get these guys for the remainder of their careers.

DaveBrawl
05-10-2006, 01:25 AM
1.98 Broncos-just pure awesome year "This Ones For JOHN"

2.00 Avs-second title and the one I remember

3.99 Broncos-second title and our blowout revenge

4.04 Nuggets-first time they were good since I was born

5.96 Avs-first team from Colorado to win a national title

This dude has great taste.

1. 98 Broncos - John Elway finally gets his ring.
2. 96 Avalanche - First Championship for a Colorado team, and first championship for one of my teams after I really started paying attention to pro sports.
3. 99 Broncos - Like the 98 Broncos only a much more powerful team.
4. 01 Avs - It was an allstar team that got Ray Borque the title he had been trying to get for so long.
5. 91 Redskins - The first championship for a team I was cheering for. A year or so later I switched to Denver.

Flair Wooo
05-15-2006, 06:08 PM
Liverpool
england
Brazil
barca
holland

The One
05-15-2006, 06:51 PM
1996 Colorado Avalanche
2000 Colorado Avalanche
1985 Chicago Bears
1991-1993 Chicago Bulls (only time I ever gave a shit about Basketball)
1996 Green Bay Packers

The One
05-15-2006, 06:55 PM
Oh and an honorable mention to the 2003 Colorado Avs, they didn't win, but holy fuck did they have some great games that year.

The Gooch
05-15-2006, 07:40 PM
#1--1996 Green Bay Packers. Well it is more years than that, but winning the Superbowl is always the crowning achievment.

#2--1987 Team Canada-Canada Cup. All I have to say is Gretzky to Lemieux.

#3--88-89 Detroit Pistons. Never much of a basketball fan, but growing up our cable had Detroit stations and I became a huge fan of the Pistons. The Bad Boys were an amazing group of players surrounded by an amazing coach. I'll always remember the playoff game when Joe Dumars' father died and everyone knew who was watching the game on tv, but Joe didn't know.

#4--92-93 Toronto Blue Jays. I was always an Expos fan more than a Blue Jays fan, but what a fucking party these two years were for Canadians. I was at a bar when Joe Carter hit the homer. The place exploded.

#5--late 70s-early 80s Montreal Canadiens. Playing hockey as a kid you always picked #10. Guy Lafleur made me a hockey fan.

D Mac
05-16-2006, 04:34 AM
1. Kansas City Chiefs
2. Kansas City Royals
3. Missouri Tigers
4. St. Louis Cardinals
5. St. Louis Blues

Too lazy to do the years and shit.