PDA

View Full Version : When Bob Backlund won the title off Bret and then dropped it 3 days later...

RP
04-23-2006, 06:49 PM
Why did that happen? Did Bret not want to job the title to Diesle? I just find it weird that they'd take the title off Bret and give it to Backlund, then job Backlund in a dark match to Diesle 3 days later?

Xero
04-23-2006, 06:56 PM
Why did they do the WrestleMania IX finish?

Becuase Bret didn't want to job to Hogan.

I see a pattern here.

Loose Cannon
04-23-2006, 06:58 PM
man I hope you are joking. Seriously.

They were positioning Diesal as a monster babyface at the time, which failed big time. Remember, he was heel before Backlund. It's a simple concept to make someone a star real fast. Have them beat an over heel champ real quick. Bret and Diesal did a babyface match at Rumble.

McLegend
04-23-2006, 07:01 PM
Diesel is the worst babyface champion ever. A billion times worse then Cena.

Not joking either.

RP
04-23-2006, 07:03 PM
I hope to god whoever came up with that whole idea isnt still in the WWE right now.

It just dont make any sense. Backlund was a monster heel at the time and him winning that match and getting the belt was huge and could have led to either Diesle or Bret winning that belt back a couple months down the road and still keep Backlund credible. Instead they put Diesle over in 6 seconds and give him the title at a house show? Huh? What sense does that make? Something happend here.

Dorkchop
04-23-2006, 07:14 PM
What's funny is that I remember Baclund returning, his feud with Bret, and him winning the belt. I honestly do not remember Diesel winning the belt, or even his title reign. I know it happened, but I don't really remember him holding the belt... even when I see old footage. I remember Bret and Shawn feuding after that for the belt, but not Deisel.

I just shows you who really had a lasting impression on a young Dorkchop's life.

Dorkchop
04-23-2006, 07:15 PM
What's funny is that I remember Baclund returning, his feud with Bret, and him winning the belt. I honestly do not remember Diesel winning the belt, or even his title reign. I know it happened, but I don't really remember him holding the belt... even when I see old footage. I remember Bret and Shawn feuding after that for the belt, but not Deisel.

I just shows you who really had a lasting impression on a young Dorkchop's childhood.

Dorkchop
04-23-2006, 07:18 PM
Oops. Sorry.

Gray
04-23-2006, 08:27 PM
Sounds similar to the Goldberg/Nash/Hogan saga in the WCW days, that sucked greatly the way it played out :/

darkpower
04-24-2006, 02:30 AM
Not only that, but what the Backlund/Bret match was supposed to set up, it seems...a twist to the whole Owen vs. Bret sibling rivalry that was going on at the time. If you remember, that was a "throw in the towel" match. Owen had Backlund's towel, while I can't remember who had Bret's towel. the Bret towel holder got knocked out cold, and Owen, while Backlund had Bret in the chicken wing (that seemed like FOREVER and was MUCH oversold), Owen "convinced" their mother to throw in Brets towel to "save" Bret, only to reveal that it was a setup to get Backlund the title.

Funny how the WWE ended up pissing all over that with the Diesel win a few days later in an 8 second match. They could've done alot more with the Owen/Helen/Bret/backlund storyline from there, but they fucked THAT up royally....kind of like 3/4ths of what they do today.

Corkscrewed
04-24-2006, 03:42 AM
you've greatly underestimated today's amount of dropped or not-thought-out-enough angles.

wwe2222
04-24-2006, 10:29 AM
didnt the bulldog have brets towel

I remember that angle...I was kind of excited to see Backlund win the title..he was a real good heel at the time.

Flair Wooo
04-24-2006, 11:10 AM
Yes bulldog had bret's towel..It was so they could keep bret and diesal both faces and this was wwe's brilliant idea on how to do it :roll:

wwe2222
04-24-2006, 02:52 PM
This was actually the last PPV I ordered for a while...after Diesel became champion is when I lost interest.

Flair Wooo
04-24-2006, 03:01 PM
Why did they do the WrestleMania IX finish?

Becuase Bret didn't want to job to Hogan.

I see a pattern here.

It was so they could keep bret and diesal both faces