PDA

View Full Version : Steve Howe killed in a truck accident

FakeLaser
04-29-2006, 11:40 AM
By BEN WALKER, AP Baseball Writer
April 29, 2006

New York Yankees pitcher Steve Howe warms up in the bullpen in this July 5, 1993 photo in Seattle. Howe, the relief pitcher whose promising career was derailed by drug and alcohol abuse, died Friday, April 28, 2006, when his pickup truck rolled over in Coachella, Calif. He was 48.

NEW YORK (AP) -- Chest stuck out, sneer across his face and a swagger in his step, Steve Howe was the portrait of a cocky, dominant pitcher.

Off the field, he became something else -- the very symbol of the rampant cocaine problem that plagued baseball in the 1980s.

Howe, the relief ace whose promising career was derailed by drug and alcohol abuse, died Friday when his pickup truck rolled over in Coachella, Calif. He was 48.

Howe was killed at 5:55 a.m. PDT about 130 miles east of Los Angeles, said Dalyn Backes of the Riverside County coroner's office. He had been in Arizona on business and was driving back home to Valencia, Calif., business partner Judy Welp said.

Toxicology tests had not yet been performed.

"He was extremely talented, very confident on the mound and had an incredible arm," former Dodgers teammate and Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "Obviously, he didn't reach his potential because of other things that crept into his life."

Howe was the 1980 NL Rookie of the Year with Los Angeles, closed out the Dodgers' 1981 World Series championship and was an All-Star the next year.

But for all of his success on the field, the hard-throwing lefty was constantly troubled by addictions. He was suspended seven times and during the 1992 season, he became the first baseball player to be banned for life because of drugs -- an arbitrator reinstated him after the season.

In recent years, he owned an energy drink company in Arizona.

"I just saw Steve last winter when his son was pitching against my son," Scioscia said. "Everything was looking up for him and he looked great. It makes you numb when you hear about a situation like this. He had a roller-coaster ride."

Howe was 47-41 with 91 saves and a 3.03 ERA with the Dodgers, Twins, Rangers and Yankees. His final season in the majors was 1996, and the Yankees released him in June.

A moment of silence was observed at Yankee Stadium before New York played Toronto on Friday night. Howe played for the Yankees from 1991-96.

"I wish more people knew Steve Howe the way I knew him," Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said. "His struggles in life were well documented, but he always tried to fight through them and I will always respect that."

Two days after the Yankees let him go in 1996, Howe was arrested at a Delta Airlines terminal at New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport when a loaded .357 Magnum was detected inside his suitcase. He later pleaded guilty to gun possession and was placed on three years' probation and given 150 hours of community service.

New York Yankees pitcher Steve Howe throws the ball during spring training in this Feb. 20, 1993 photo in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Howe, the relief pitcher whose promising career was derailed by drug and alcohol abuse, died Friday, April 28, 2006, when his pickup truck rolled over in Coachella, Calif. He was 48.

Chicago White Sox coach Tim Raines played with Howe in that final year.

"You always get second chances -- third and fourth sometimes. And people really believed in him and that he'd eventually kick the problem. Unfortunately, it didn't happen for him," he said.

Howe tried a comeback in 1997 with Sioux Falls of the independent Northern League and retired after injuring his forearm. That August, he was critically injured in a motorcycle accident in Montana and charged with drunken driving; those charges were later dropped when prosecutors decided his blood test was improperly obtained.

Said former Dodgers manager Tom Lasorda: "Steve played for me for five years and I thought the world of him."

Howe was suspended for the 1984 season by commissioner Bowie Kuhn for cocaine use. Howe was out of the majors in 1986 after a relapse the previous August with Minnesota.

Texas released him before the 1988 season because of an alcohol problem, and he did not pitch again in the big leagues until 1991. In 1992, commissioner Fay Vincent banned him for life, saying Howe had "finally extinguished his opportunity to play major league baseball."

"Howsie had some issues everybody knew about," Arizona manager Bob Melvin said in San Francisco. "Everybody who hasn't played with him didn't know what kind of teammate he was. What you hear about Steve is the drug stuff. ... He was kind of the captain of the bullpen out there."

Welp knew Howe for two years, and said he was doing well.

"His goal was to bring an all-natural energy drink to the United States," she said. "He was so giving, always trying to help people. He used to always say, 'I'm all about the underdog."'

Giants broadcaster Mike Krukow played against Howe in the NL West.

"So many tragic things happened to him in a young 48 years," he said, his eyes red. Maybe he's at peace. He was the nicest guy in the world but he had some demons, unfortunately."

When baseball began checking for steroids in 2005, Howe said he supported a testing program.

Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Steve Howe speaks during a news conference at Dodgers Stadium in this June 24, 1983 file photo in Los Angeles, regarding his rehabilitation from drug addiction. Howe is flanked his physician, Dr. Joseph Pursch, left, and agent Tony Attanasio, right. Howe, the relief pitcher whose promising career was derailed by drug and alcohol abuse, died Friday, April 28, 2006, when his pickup truck rolled over in Coachella, Calif. He was 48.

"I was one of the first to be fried and tried," he said then.

Howe was 7-9 with 17 saves in 1980, pitching in 59 games as a major part of the Dodgers' bullpen. He played for Los Angeles through the 1983 season.

Howe's struggles were splashed across the sports pages by the mid-1980s, when cocaine use was baseball's most well-publicized predicament. On Thursday, commissioner Bud Selig said that unlike with steroids, baseball was well aware of its troubles then.

"In the '80s, this sport had a very serious cocaine problem -- and that was a pretty consistent pattern," Selig said.

Howe was survived by his wife, Cindy, daughter Chelsi and son Brian.

AP Sports Writer Janie McCauley and AP freelance writer Joe Resnick contributed to this story.
--------
Sucks, I remember watching him pitch for the Yankees when I was really young. He had a lot of problems, wouldn't be surprised if this was a drug/alcohol related car accident. RIP.

YOUR Hero
04-29-2006, 12:20 PM
Unfortunately for him, his legacy will be that of a drug addict. He was giving so many second chances, that you could say part of his legacy includes the tougher stance baseball is now taking on abusers.

The Outlaw
04-30-2006, 01:17 PM
Truck was nasty...