PDA

View Full Version : What do your friends and relatives think of you as a wrestling fan

The Naitch
05-04-2006, 10:33 PM
Sad part is they can't differentiate shit, so it's basically automatic that they associate myself with those 10 year old marks who cry if something bad happens

It's not like I'm gonna debate with them and say, "yeah man, I'm different, I'm a smart fan and I know it's all a work, etc ect"

So I can see why I keep shit to myself, most of the time :nono:

Although this one guy I'm buddies' with, we can talk smark to smark_style every now and then. And when we're both high and drunk, it's even better. (I remember how I met him, it was from the drunk tank when a buddy of mine got arrested, and he was wearing a Hulkamania t-shirt, and I said that I went to Mania 19, and coincently, he did too, and we talked about TRO stinking up the bathroom)

I probably have 3 real wrestling friends, to be honest :'(

What about you? We all know deadlyheaven has a whole crew, that fucker with the WCW belt, but then again, he's American. Wrestling isn't really that big up here where I'm from (Vancouver BC, Canada)

The One
05-04-2006, 10:38 PM
Most everyone I know just thinks it's dumb, but they don't think anything more then that. They all know I know it's staged (especially the ones who know I did it for a while).

I have maybe a two dozen or so friends who actually enjoy it, of those, maybe 5 could be classified as a "smark"...and of those 5, I have only one friend who could actually match and keep up with me in a wrestling discussion. Hence, why I come here.

The Naitch
05-04-2006, 10:41 PM
like when it's a Friday Night, I would be at my buddies' house. I put on SD! cuz I know it's on, and he'd be like "I can't beleive you watch this shit" This was around a shitty time, more specifically, a Mysterio/Henry match pre Mania 22.

He was also turned off by the potential gayness of the Randy Orton vs Chris Benoit match. I mean c'mon, a casual fan doesn't wanna watch rest holds and a commercial break that often

But I remember watching Hell In A Cell (Brock vs Taker) and he kinda took a liking to Undertaker, since buddy likes anything to do with bikes and shit like that

McLegend
05-04-2006, 10:42 PM
Yeah none of my friends like wrestling, and I never talk about wrestling with any of them, because I would surely get ripped apart.

Bad Company
05-04-2006, 10:44 PM
My Friends don't mind it, but people don't know what a "smart" is, so I just shutup about that, because they just think you're even stupider.

The One
05-04-2006, 10:45 PM
If any of my friends give me shit about it, I just tell them to sit down, shut the fuck up, and enjoy it for what it is; a testosterone driven soap opera with a fighting sport setting.

Usually they end up thinking Big Show is fucking asweome because he is so big...no joke. I have been asked more questions about who he is and what he's done in his career then all other wrestlers combined.

Vietnamese Crippler
05-04-2006, 10:46 PM
Friends are still surprised when I mention that I watch wrestling.

Family, meh, but even my grandma knows wrestling is fake; and she doesn't speak English :o

Gertner
05-04-2006, 10:46 PM
lol they all think it's retarded and i gotta agree with them, and yet i watch it all the time

Boondock Saint
05-04-2006, 10:48 PM
Yeah none of my friends like wrestling, and I never talk about wrestling with any of them., because I would surely get ripped apart.

Blitz
05-04-2006, 10:49 PM
My dad and my sister are way into it. In fact, we all work for an indy fed. My mom doesn't care either way. One of my uncles used to make all sorts of bitchy comments about it, but he's stopped now.

Only one of my friends is real into it. The rest of them think it's retarded.

Drakul
05-04-2006, 11:00 PM
Mine don't watch it anymore really but they like me telling them the news like if a wrestler passes away or leaves or if someone returns etc.

Most people that say "You watch that crap? :nono:" used to watch it to but like every other fad, when it died out they deny ever taking part.

Skippord
05-04-2006, 11:11 PM
I choose not to tell them

Funky Fly
05-04-2006, 11:25 PM
My brothers are smarter than casual fans, but they are not quite smarks yet.

My dad is a fan, but he vehemently denies it until the Undertaker is on the screen.

My mom and grandma will watch with me and I will be explaining shit to them all the way through.

Mom: That one in the nice suitdoesn't look like he'd hurt a fly.

Me: That's Batista. He's in Dr. Jeckyll mode right now. He's going to be completely different when he gets in the ring.

Mom: Really? He's such a quiet guy.

*during Batista's match*

Mom: :eek:

Pinnacle Charisma
05-04-2006, 11:52 PM
Ive been friends with one guy since we where 13 (around the same time the atticude era started) and most of our relationship has been around wrestling.

We both became smarks around the same time so its preety cool to talk to someone in real life that knows as much as the business as you can.

Some of my friends still watch it casually but most of them are marks so its kind of hard to talk about wrestling with them

The Ravishing One
05-05-2006, 02:06 AM
(I remember how I met him, it was from the drunk tank when a buddy of mine got arrested, and he was wearing a Hulkamania t-shirt, and I said that I went to Mania 19, and coincently, he did too, and we talked about TRO stinking up the bathroom)

:wtf:

RVDmark
05-05-2006, 05:36 AM
My closest friends all watch it so I'm lucky. Other friends I explain that I can't understand why they watch eastenders or coronation street (soap opera's) and that they're kind of the same thing except the stoy lines are slightly more believeable.:shifty:

My mum actually knew davey boy smith for a while so my family understands what it is and whilst my dad ribs me for watching (he always walks in during Kiss My Ass segments), He likes the diva matches for some unknown reason. :no:

Pepsi Man
05-05-2006, 11:08 AM
When wrestling was "cool", it's one of the things everyone would come to me and ask questions about or bring up. With wrestling not so main stream right now, I don't often talk about it with too many people, although I do have a friend or two that are wrestling fans. I don't catch any flak for it though, at all.

Kane Knight
05-05-2006, 12:32 PM
I love the fact that people feel they have to tell me it's fake.

To which I generally respond in a slow, condesending fashion, that those movies they pay to see, that those TV shows they watch, that even a large portion of "reality show" content is fake.

Anybody Thrilla
05-05-2006, 12:55 PM
I make no bones about being a wrestling fan, and actually, I've been getting more and more people to start watching. I MAKE WRESTLING COOL. :cool:

Arnold HamNegger
05-05-2006, 03:20 PM
Yeah none of my friends like wrestling, and I never talk about wrestling with any of them, because I would surely get ripped apart.

:yes:

It's been that way for many many years. Although, my roommate comes home from work every Monday to me on the couch watching Raw...but no words have ever been exchanged...EVER. :nono:

Wrestling was HUGE back when I was in college, with Nitro and Raw. But after that, the closest I've ever come to conforming any (non) wrestling friends into fans was back in the NWO days and also DX, especially after the Mike Tyson/Austin altercation. That kept interest up for a while, but they all moved on. I however have been stuck since birth.

There are however some universal things that are known and accepted, such as the Ric Flair "Whooooooo!", the SCSA "What?" and Trish being hotter than the sun's G-spot.

The Naitch
05-05-2006, 03:31 PM
:wtf:

:lol:

I heard you were at Mania 19 and decided to make up some fake story about me waiting in line to use the port-a-potty, then you came out stinking it up right before I went in

Then LC replied back and said something like lol TRO's shit stinks

TerranRich
05-05-2006, 03:51 PM
Funnily enough, I actually got my girlfriend into wrestling. But now that she's a mark for John Cena, I think it was better off before. :p

But yeah, my dad used to be into it. He was the one that got me into it when I was around 7. Now he's abandoned it. He gave up somewhere around 2001.

Skyler
05-05-2006, 04:42 PM
me and my bro are both smarts but my dad is just a regular fan. He actually cried when triple H lost at mania 22. so me and my bro will be using all the wrestling terms like work,shoot,face etc. and my dad thinks were the dumbest kids in the world. He thinks we made those terms up. I tried to convert him to a smart once> it was a disaster

The Naitch
05-05-2006, 11:45 PM
lol your dad is a crybaby