PDA

View Full Version : The reason why wrestling is not popular anymore

The Naitch
05-04-2006, 10:52 PM
Too much homoeroticness

You got some insecure 16 year old watching wrestling, and once his parents or firends' catch this they'll think he's a homo, because you got Chris Benoit doing ten germans to Kurt Angle who then agree to kiss and hug after the match. I don't know about you....My dad probably thought I was gay when me and him watched the Mania Movie where Rock closed the door and wanted private time with Austin. My dad was like "So are they gonna kiss?" It was so embarassing

If WWE can put together a product that doesnt cross the line of homoeroticness, then I do believe in my heart that wrestling can be cool again

like how can you not hate a Mankind/Undertaker match up

Hardcore fans will like it no matter what. But the money is on the non-viewer. How do we get them interested in WWE again?

Wrestling these days is considered gay. Not only figuratively, but literally. We got rolling pins, bridges, german suplexes, belly to belly suplexes. bROCK AND aNGLE KISSING. i CAN GO ON. sorry for the caps

Back in the Attitude Era, the show was based around theatrics, personas, characters. We actually had men clothed during their matches. Kane and Mankind and Taker were all wearing clothes during their feuds. Rock vs Mankind saw Rock wearing a track suit, mainly because of the bitch tits.

But slowly, we saw more skin. A sign of homoeroticness. Maybe Vince McMahon is gay. I bet he is. Fag

Today it's all based too much around man to man action. I know the wrestlers' are secure enough to not care, but to the fans it totally alters this shit. ""Haha you're aay you watch wrestling! HAHAHAHA"

Sure, we're fine with it, but that's because we realize the reality of it, we're smarks. But for it to catch on with the next generation? The marks? First off you lack what Cena should be. Had he been heel by 2006 he'd bring in the ratings.

i could go on, but I feel tired

HaTeR
05-04-2006, 10:56 PM
I think you're just insecure yourself to even notice that.

Come out of the closet friend. :)

The Naitch
05-04-2006, 11:00 PM
I'm gay with Gertner

Bad Company
05-04-2006, 11:02 PM
I agree Naitch.
Wrestling is pretty gay.

The Naitch
05-04-2006, 11:06 PM
I speak the truth. Anyone that disagrees is a closet fag

translation- Hater sucks cock

The One
05-04-2006, 11:07 PM
Here's the problem with the comapny, it's in an industry were the target audience is males ages 16-24...they have 5 men dressed as cheerleaders, and no one makes gay jokes about them.

It isn't the only reason, but that is one of 1,000 examples of why pro wrestling has once again become thought of as gay.

Mr. Nerfect
05-04-2006, 11:08 PM
To be honest, I agree. Not entirely, but in part.

The current Rob Conway persona is what's limiting wrestling at the present time.

Attire could be changed to make the industry seem less "gay". Take Paul London & Brian Kendrick. A lot of people might see two guys with matching attire as "gay", but I like the way their attire is baggy, leaving stuff to the imagination. I wouldn't mind it if Jamie Noble started wrestling in his shorts again, and if some of the guys who wear trunks maybe got some pants.

Don't go over the top or anything, but a few changes here and there probably wouldn't be so bad. Utilising the Divas more could be good, as well. My whole beef with them is that they seem to be used as a sideshow by the WWE, used to make the business seem less "gay", when in reality, the immaturity of it ends up making them look worse. Having Maria, Candice Michelle and Torrie Wilson actually being paired with a guy makes the guy look like he's getting some action.

There is nothing wrong with homosexuality, mind you, it's just a lot of people in today's society have a fear of that side of life. Making a few changes for those guys (and girls, you'd be surprised how many women I know who dislike gay guys) might be a bit more receptive to the program if a lot of the guys didn't wrestle like they were back in Rome.

The Naitch
05-04-2006, 11:11 PM
the only thing that can override the gayness of pro wrestling is the new wave of new characters and personas

Look at 2000, the show revolved around feuds, promos, on screen stuff, but at the same time, we still got the good matches. I think that's the reason why WWF took off at that time.

Now they focus too much on the matches but don't care enough about the on screen stuff, since the writing has been obviously SHIT these days.

Mr. Nerfect
05-04-2006, 11:12 PM
Here's the problem with the comapny, it's in an industry were the target audience is males ages 16-24...they have 5 men dressed as cheerleaders, and no one makes gay jokes about them.

It isn't the only reason, but that is one of 1,000 examples of why pro wrestling has once again become thought of as gay.

That's a good point. They also don't make retard jokes about Eugene. Sure, being a retard doesn't equal homosexuality, but it's the same omission of easy-to-make observations which make the company seem like it's got a lot to hide.

The Naitch
05-04-2006, 11:13 PM
if they pushed Eugene (mind you Eugene, NOT Nick Dinsmore the technical wrestler, i could care less about the latter), I think they can garner mainstream attention. But instead, they leave him on Heat :nono:

The One
05-04-2006, 11:17 PM
No. I have yet to hear a single non-wrestling fan think Eugene is anything above shit. People don't want to see retards, models, cheerleaders, boogeymen, or any of the other fucking dumb ass gimmicks they have been coming up with lately.

The Naitch
05-04-2006, 11:18 PM
Eugene > The One

Mr. Nerfect
05-04-2006, 11:19 PM
if they pushed Eugene (mind you Eugene, NOT Nick Dinsmore the technical wrestler, i could care less about the latter), I think they can garner mainstream attention. But instead, they leave him on Heat :nono:

Well, Nick Dinsmore hasn't been a character on TV, so you can't really say you wouldn't find him interesting, but I can see your point.

I wouldn't push Eugene anywhere past the IC Title, though. Any further and you run the risk of getting him booed and turning away your casual fanbase. Pushing Eugene as a sympathetic character is a fairly serviceable idea, though.

McLegend
Yeah Eugene is the perfect example of what is wrong with wrestling today.

The Naitch
but seriously, Eugene as comic relif is ten times better than you'' ever be

Admit, you agree with post #10

The Naitch
05-04-2006, 11:21 PM
you guys are looking at it like Eugene being pushed as a serious character

As comic releif he is fucking perfect. C'mon :rant:

McLegend
05-04-2006, 11:21 PM
Eugene is terrible in every sense of the word.

McLegend
05-04-2006, 11:22 PM
you guys are looking at it like Eugene being pushed as a serious character

As comic releif he is fucking perfect. C'mon :rant:
For 6 weeks, and now hes terrible in every way. It is actually uncomfortable to watch him.

The Naitch
05-04-2006, 11:23 PM
to elaborate, Eugene has a shelf lie. And he woul be limited, but he would NEVER be considered worthy of WWE Championship material. He's be a ring below it, but that would be to put over a main event heel

(The HHH and Evolution vs Eugene feud was the shit IMO)

It didn't hurt anyone, but at the same time, gavce Eugene the rub

Same goes for The Rock putting over Eugene when they layed the smackdown on Coach

He'll never be taken seriously, but you gotta use him to it's fullest

The Naitch
05-04-2006, 11:26 PM
Eugene is terrible in every sense of the word.

well thats because today as the Eugene character, he is WAY PAST HIS PRIME

He's a shell fo what he used to be

Plus he's not getting the Main Event rub, he's stuck on Heat

in latye 2005 we should've got the angle where Eugen turns heel and admits that h'es been faking it all along, but they never pulled through witht hat, so now he's stale

McLegend
05-04-2006, 11:29 PM
Yes if Eugene did some heel turn that would be cool, and he would be tolerable.

The Naitch
05-04-2006, 11:31 PM
Eugene did get booed back sometime and they could've played along to it, too bad they ignored that shit

HaTeR
05-04-2006, 11:46 PM
I speak the truth. Anyone that disagrees is a closet fag

translation- Hater sucks cock

When did I disagree? I mean really, who seems more like a closet case? The fag who made a long ass post about his sexual anxiety attacks while watching wrestling or the people who choose not to give it enough attention to care about it?

There's gay shit in everything these days, not just wrestling, apparently it's cool to be a queer these days, so get used to it being all over tv for awhile.

I don't think 'homoeroticness' is the reason wrestling isn't considered cool these days. I personally believe there's just not enough for the teenage\young adult audiences to relate with cool, DX was cool, Austin was cool, Rock was cool, who or what is cool in wrestling these days?

Kane Knight
05-05-2006, 01:10 AM
It was gayest during the Attitude Era (Guys pumping other guys from behind, DOGGY STYLE) and During the 80s Peak...

Mr. Nerfect
05-05-2006, 09:31 AM
It was gayest during the Attitude Era (Guys pumping other guys from behind, DOGGY STYLE) and During the 80s Peak...

You have a point there. It was kind of the "cool gay", though... :-\

What I mean is that a lot of people thought wrestling was real around that time, and people thought that they were really beating the crap out of their opponents and making them into their bitches. These days it would be seen as a man submitting to another's sexual man-will.

The BIGGEST problem with wrestling, in my opinion, is that people are stupid. Seriously. They are too stupid to realise that the industry is not trying to pass itself off as "real" in the sense of the word, and that movies are no less deceitful.

They see someone "throw a punch" and they point out it is fake. No fucking shit. They are really standing up throwing continual punches at each other when one really good one would have done it. The energy of fans, commentators and other performers focusing so much aggression into one act makes non-fans assume that wrestling fans assume they are watching something real, thus the non-fan, thinking they are "smarter than that", avoid watching it.

I actually think Wrestling Society X could help the wrestling industry. If it points out that the fans are in on the joke, and that it isn't (always) a bunch of idiots believing everything they see, WSX could lead a wrestling revolution. By that I mean it actually gets people to realise that the industry is "meant to be fake", hence escapist entertainment, rather than a serious competition.

WCW got huge by feeding off the talent that came from the smaller WWF, and the WWF fed off of ECW's extremist approach to things. Bigger companies have always taken the ideas from smaller companies and run with it. It is a huge gamble to make, but a wrestling company which gets off the ground and points out the deliberately staged performances could help WWE and TNA out immensly.

Just a theory on my part, though.