PDA

View Full Version : Taz question

redoneja
05-06-2006, 12:18 AM
I'm watching ECW Barely Legal and Joey Styles mentions during the Taz/Sabu match that Taz had made "Polar Bear" Paul Varlens tap out to the kata-haji-me(Tazmission). When did this occur? For those who do not know, Varlens is a former Ultimate Fighter, most remembered for his fight with Marco Ruas during the early days of UFC.

HeartBreakMan2k
05-06-2006, 12:51 AM
It happened back in like 96 in what was supposed to be a "shoot match" however rumor has it, which I'm forced to believe is true in spite of my love for Taz, is Varlens was bribed to throw the fight.

Optimistic T
05-06-2006, 10:39 PM
I was pretty sure of the answer (not positive if this was the guy), so I double checked online... I was right.

Anyway, this happened at Hardcore Heaven '96. It was said to have been a shoot match, but was in fact worked to put Taz over as the UFC-ish Legit Badass that Heyman was booking him as.

The back story is that Varlens agreed to do the job for a little nookie from Missy Hyatt. Hyatt, however, backed out afterwards and with either Varlens's gentlemen nature of ECW's roster, Varlens was S.O.L. (and we all know what that means).

This is what Hyatt herself has said in one of her shoots. I believe at least one other ECW wrestler has backed up this story, as well.

EDIT: Apparently it's Varelans. Wouldn't wanna anger any UFC nut.

redoneja
05-08-2006, 12:54 AM
Also, Varelans is listed as a trapfighter. What exactly is trapfighting? The only definition I can find is that "it is a mix of two or more fighting styles" but the same definition is also given for freestyle fighting and a couple other general terms. Anyone have any knowledge on trapfighting?

weather vane
05-08-2006, 05:10 AM
I miss old school UFC.

redoneja
05-08-2006, 12:56 PM
Spilchuk knows what's up

Stickman
05-09-2006, 11:57 AM
I miss old school UFC.

I've never seen old school UFC, how does it differ from now?

Fignuts
05-09-2006, 08:17 PM
It used to be a one night tournament, with awesome fighters with unique styles, from around the world.

First one had a sumo wrestler.

Royce Gracie also used to eat souls after defeating his opponents with ease.

Fignuts
05-09-2006, 08:17 PM
Gerard Gordeau was prettry badass too.

redoneja
05-09-2006, 11:41 PM
Just watched UFC VI earlier today. Tank Abbot knocked the shit out of some 400 pound Hawaiian guy.The guy's legs and arms went stiff for a bit. Crazy shit