PDA

View Full Version : 95,000 people

yianni
05-26-2006, 10:13 AM
To a meaningless "soccer" friendly in Melbourne, right in the middle of AwFuL season.

The sleeping giant has awoken.

toxic rooster
05-26-2006, 10:21 AM
I've been saying this a lot lately.

Remember that time on the Simpsons how Homer had just made a lot of money on pumpkins because he invested in October before Halloween, and he said "I think things will peak right around January."

The point I am making, in a roundabout and somewhat unclear way, is we all know this kind of support is only coming because it's the first World Cup we've been in in 32 years.

toxic rooster
05-26-2006, 10:22 AM
PS how was it, you cunt :D?

Team Sheep
05-26-2006, 10:34 AM
Nobody cares about Australian football! Ok, you made the world cup, which was long over due, considering you have like one of the easiest qualifying regions in comparison to places like Europe. So yeah, get over it already please!

I'm happy for you guys though, I mean, seeing as your rugby's gone down the shitter you need some kind of sport to give your country a good name, in hope that your soccer success may eclipse your recent rugby blunders...;)

toxic rooster
05-26-2006, 10:38 AM
Easy? Pfft.

A 2 legged playoff against a bunch of South American savages with 4 days in between is hardly easy.

Team Sheep
05-26-2006, 10:42 AM
I didn't say it was easy, but it is one of the easiest routes of qualifying if you compare it to other regions.

yianni
05-26-2006, 10:43 AM
Nobody cares about Australian football! Ok, you made the world cup, which was long over due, considering you have like one of the easiest qualifying regions in comparison to places like Europe. So yeah, get over it already please!

I'm happy for you guys though, I mean, seeing as your rugby's gone down the shitter you need some kind of sport to give your country a good name, in hope that your soccer success may eclipse your recent rugby blunders...;)

Nobody gives a fuck about rugby here. Nobody also gives a fuck about AwFuL except a certain bunch of backward mentally retarded fuckheads who unfortunately reside in my city.

And it's not our fault we were placed in Oceania, for years we have wanted to get out of it but weren't allowed but finally we have. Now when we qualify for World Cups through Asia no cunt can turn around and say we had it easy.

toxic rooster
05-26-2006, 10:47 AM
I didn't say it was easy, but it is one of the easiest routes of qualifying if you compare it to other regions.

We still had to play a far superior team at the end of it over 2 games, not a complete group stage where you can afford a few bad results.

Team Sheep
05-26-2006, 10:47 AM
Well I wish you all the luck, seeing as this is the first time in 32 years that you've managed to qualify out of Oceania. Gonna be a lot harder for you from here on out.

toxic rooster
05-26-2006, 10:51 AM
Oceania was never a problem - the playoff after was what rooted us time and time again.

Team Sheep
05-26-2006, 10:52 AM
After that long wait, there would have been a riot in Sydney if they'd lost that penalty shootout I tell ya. :p

toxic rooster
05-26-2006, 11:06 AM
That's just about it. Either that or the stadium would still be full of crying fans an hour after the end of the game, like we'd just been relegated.

Thanks for the wishing of luck, btw. Nobody is expecting much of the Aussies, so there's no pressure. Getting out of our group would be a dream.

yianni
05-26-2006, 11:09 AM
Well I wish you all the luck, seeing as this is the first time in 32 years that you've managed to qualify out of Oceania. Gonna be a lot harder for you from here on out.

Er no, we won Oceania every single time except '81 when New Zealand did. The problem was winning the play-off against the other confederation (ranging from Europe to Asia to South America)

- Scotland '85
- Israel '89
- Argentina '93
- Iran '97
- Uruguay '01

We may have qualified for the first time in 32 years but we'll be qualifying alot more from now on. Asia has a proper qualifying system not this fucken bullshit we have been subjected to over the years.

Team Sheep
05-26-2006, 11:19 AM
I just noticed...don't you have a load of Croats living in Australia? That one could get tasty. :cool:

Rob
05-26-2006, 11:22 AM
New Zealand made it to the World Cup though didn't they

weather vane
05-26-2006, 02:18 PM
Soccer is bollacks.

Team Sheep
05-26-2006, 02:23 PM
K, thanks for that.

toxic rooster
05-26-2006, 09:34 PM
I just noticed...don't you have a load of Croats living in Australia? That one could get tasty. :cool:

Yeah we do. Whoever wins that game, there's gonna be a riot.

yianni
05-26-2006, 09:38 PM

Yeah there's a few.

yianni
05-26-2006, 09:39 PM

Yep, but we had also previously made it in 1974 so we needed to give them a go. ;)

yianni
05-26-2006, 09:40 PM
Soccer is bollacks.

bollocks*

And yes I agree, soccer is shit. Football on the other hand kicks arse.

yianni
05-26-2006, 09:40 PM
Soccer is bollacks.

bollocks*

Couldn't agree more though. Soccer is fucking shit. Football kicks arse though.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
05-27-2006, 12:13 AM
Must be unreal to play infront of that many people. I remember I played high school football infront of like 5,000 people and it was fucking unreal. It was the best shit

Bad Company
05-27-2006, 12:28 AM
UNSTOPPABLE!
Also, we're playing brazil in early june, lol

toxic rooster
05-27-2006, 02:25 AM
We're playing Brazil in LATE JUNE.

BEAT THAT.

yianni
05-27-2006, 03:28 AM
Second biggest upset in World Cup history if we knock off Brazil...the biggest being when NZ qualified for it. :D

Y2C
05-27-2006, 03:52 AM
Melbourne is the only city in the world where 20,000 third Generation Australian citizens would go to an international sporting event and barrack for the opposition. I just wish that they had have gone 5 minutes before the start of the game: "Sucked in, all you stupid morons who thought that you were going to watch a wogball game tonight, what we're really gonna do is deport you back to where you should be living, now get on your fucking boat & don't come back".

In regards to the 95,000 people, Melbournians will go & see any sport under the sun. During the Commonwealth games they sold out the lawn bowls, for fuck's sake. Next week we have 2 of our most hated states (alongside Tasmania, WA & SA) playing a game that we couldn't give a stuff about, and they'll probably get 40-50,000 to that, too.

I can't wait until this Wogld Cup is over, then the whole of Australia will go back to not giving a stuff about soccer for another 4 years. :y: :y:

toxic rooster
05-27-2006, 03:56 AM
I get it.

Wogld.

Y2C
05-27-2006, 04:04 AM
No you don't. :mad: :mad:

Go back to making sure that all the oranges in your state are the right colour.* :foc:

*Disclaimer: I would have said "Go and check that the bananas aren't straight", but there aren't any left.

yianni
05-27-2006, 04:11 AM
SMELL THE FEAR YOU CUNT. SMELL THE FUCKING FEAR

95,000 people to a meaningless game in the middle of AwFuL season. I'm going to keep repeating it so it gets through your thick fucking head. Yeah a few of the people there had no idea about the game but you realise how many thousands of football people missed out on tickets? If the MCG's capacity was 200,000 people I bet it still would have sold out given the demand

And no once this World Cup is over people won't forget football because we have gotten out of the old bullshit qualifying system, in no time at all Asian Cup qualifiers begin, the Asian Cup is in 2008, then the World Cup qualifiers begin straight after that. All meaningful games, all making the national team stronger, all making that cocksucker sell-out Greek Andrew Demitrou in the AwFuL shit his fucking dacks.

toxic rooster
05-27-2006, 04:21 AM
When it's over, what are people going to watch in August and September?

The AFL and NRL finals series will easily get more viewers than qualifiers against Kuwait or Lebanon. Or the bullshit A-League.

yianni
05-27-2006, 04:57 AM
I didn't say they wouldn't. But now with more intense and meaningful fixtures more and more people will start following the Socceroos. Football won't take over AwFuL in terms of popularity in Melbourne (dunno about the other states) but it will give them a massive fucking headache.

toxic rooster
05-27-2006, 04:58 AM
Fucking Vics.

They still haven't figured out what the rest of Australia has known for yonks - it is humanly possible to follow more than one sport.

yianni
05-27-2006, 05:18 AM
True

But with these AwFuL morons as soon as their sport begins to be slightly threatened by football (ie friendlies like this one or World Cup qualifiers) they start bringing out the old "which is better, soccer or AFL" debate

It has been cringeworthy to say the least hearing and reading what the media have had to say this week. Well more cringeworthy than usual. Having said that they have been alright in terms of giving the game proper recognition.

Kid Robb
05-27-2006, 05:24 AM
Greece are fucking shit.

If someone wants a challange, fuck finding the holy grail or WMD's in Iraq, work out how Greece won Euro2004.

Couldn't score in a brothel.

Have they won a game since that tournament?

toxic rooster
05-27-2006, 05:25 AM
That's true.

That being said, they are just as bad as the wankers with the chest beating "soccer will kill eggball" attitude who I'm seeing more and more of every day.

Kid Robb
05-27-2006, 05:27 AM
I'm so sick of hearing this bullshit from you cunts too btw. The AFL, as much as I don't like some of the things its done, has been the best run game in the country (and about as well run local comp as you'll find in the world) for the last twenty years. In 1980 it was a one state competition, now it's in every state that matters (NT/Tas/ACT don't count).

Don't hate on it because other sports can't get their act together. Not that soccer has it's on a good roll, and that's great. The more you blokes delude yourselves from the obvious the worse the division is going to get between the codes. If you were preaching that people could follow both AFL and soccer then we might get somewhere. Seems the only ones actually doing that are the cunts that follow AFL AND soccer.

:mad:

toxic rooster
05-27-2006, 05:29 AM
Taa, Rob.

Taa.

yianni
05-27-2006, 05:33 AM
Er...you cunts do realise that Greece came out here on a holiday and didn't give a fuck?

Having said that they were lucky to win Euro 2004, any cunt with half a brain will tell you that (I'm obviously excluding Marios from this category). And if Australia win the World Cup it will be a miracle too.

Since that tourny Greece won probably just over half of its World Cup qualifying games. When they're at their best they are a real danger but when they couldn't be fucked (like last night) or with a few injuries they're average.

I can't believe how many cunts on both Aussie and Greek sides have taken this game so seriously.

Great win by Australia anyway, dominated the game and with Kewell, Aloisi and Cahill (and Schwartzer who didnt even play the other night) coming back into the side look worthy and capable of taking on Japan, Brasil and Croatia

yianni
05-27-2006, 05:35 AM
I'm so sick of hearing this bullshit from you cunts too btw. The AFL, as much as I don't like some of the things its done, has been the best run game in the country (and about as well run local comp as you'll find in the world) for the last twenty years. In 1980 it was a one state competition, now it's in every state that matters (NT/Tas/ACT don't count).

Don't hate on it because other sports can't get their act together. Not that soccer has it's on a good roll, and that's great. The more you blokes delude yourselves from the obvious the worse the division is going to get between the codes. If you were preaching that people could follow both AFL and soccer then we might get somewhere. Seems the only ones actually doing that are the cunts that follow AFL AND soccer.

:mad:

:D :kiss:

toxic rooster
05-27-2006, 05:38 AM
- First game in Melbourne against semi-decent opposition in 4 years
- Playing the European champions in their biggest exclave
- Sending-off Australia to its first World Cup in 32 years.

That's why people took it seriously.

You're right though, Greece clearly didn't give a fuck. Wasted their possession, shocking distribution and the biggest threat to the Aussie goal was Kalac.

yianni
05-27-2006, 05:44 AM
AHAHAHAHHA Kalac had a shocker I thought, even though he had to do shit! It's always tense when that cunt's in goals. Having said that he did well in the last game I saw him play (the one in London before the qualifiers last year, South Africa I think)

I was present at 3 of Greece's 5 training sessions and those ones only went for like 1.5 hours or so, whereas the Socceroos I heard had like two gruelling 2 hour sessions every day or something like that. So Greece were here for a laugh, to get $1 million off the FFA and just to say "roight" to the cunts who supported them in the Euro

toxic rooster
05-27-2006, 05:47 AM
It was Jamaica they played in London.

2 weeks out from the World Cup, I'd be drilling my team like that as well.

Y2C
05-27-2006, 06:34 PM
Fucking Vics.

They still haven't figured out what the rest of Australia has known for yonks - it is humanly possible to follow more than one sport.
Lying cunt. :mad: :mad:

Actually, you are kinda right. You're allowed to have 1 sport in the summer & 1 sport in the winter.

Y2C
05-27-2006, 06:48 PM
And btw, we've got 400,000 Greeks who have been doing nothing in this country for the past 40 years and getting paid for it off the dole, so why are we whinging when another 11 cross the border & do exactly the same thing?