PDA

View Full Version : Harry "Bulldog" Smith set to debut real soon!

Zen v.W.o.
05-28-2006, 12:37 AM
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/2006/05/27/1600907.html

Bulldog's pup unleashed

Davey Boy Smith's son could be days away from making his Raw debut
By TJ MADIGAN - Calgary Sun

Celebrities rarely get to plan their rise to superstardom in advance.

Whether it's a sports legend such as David Beckham or a Hollywood starlet such as Jennifer Garner, the road to worldwide recognition is usually gradual, bumpy and completely unpredictable.

Not so for Harry Smith.

For weeks, the Calgary-born grappler -- the son of the late Davey Boy Smith, a.k.a. The British Bulldog -- has known the exact date, time and place where he will jump from the wrestling industry's best-kept secret to a worldwide superstar -- Monday, June 5, just after 9 p.m. local time, in Pittsburgh, Pa.

That is when Smith, 19, is set to debut on Monday Night Raw, having signed a multi-year main-event deal with World Wrestling Entertainment.

Speaking to the Calgary Sun for the final time without a WWE rep listening in on the other end, Smith was modest about the prospect of bypassing WWE's triple-A farm system and going right to the major leagues.

"I'm going into this clear-headed and straight-minded," he said.

"I'm not thinking that I'll be just another guy at the bottom of the card and I'm not going in there expecting the world either.

"I'm just going to go in and do what I do best -- wrestle."

But knowing he will be watched by millions of people from Calgary to Kuala Lumpur, from London, Ont., to London, England, has to be a pretty daunting prospect for Smith.

"Yeah, it feels really weird," he conceded.

"I'm obviously pretty excited but also nervous since this really is the start of the big part of my career.

"I just hope the fans respect what I do and I can carry on the legacy of the Hart family."

That legacy could prove to be both a blessing and a curse for Smith.

Following in the footsteps of his uncle (Bret Hart) and father will give Smith instant name recognition with mat fans.

But with so much tragedy in the family's past -- including the in-ring death of Owen Hart in 1999 and his dad's legal and health problems that led to his death in 2002 -- there is always the risk of exploitation, as was the case with Eddie Guerrero's passing.

Smith admits it's a subject that has crossed his mind.

"I have thought about it and I'm going to have to draw the line somewhere," he said.

"If I feel it's getting too personal or getting distasteful, I'll stand my ground and have to say no."

But Smith is hoping his big-league experience will be a positive one and even asks the Sun to print his first major goal as a WWE superstar:

"Being the youngest WWE champion ever."

The current youngest title holder, Randy Orton, captured the belt at age 24, which gives Smith almost five years to ascend the ranks and claim wrestling's highest honour.

The race for the gold is on and it could start even earlier than expected.

"I will actually be at Raw on Monday," Smith revealed, opening the possibility of a one-week headstart on his scheduled debut. "I thought (WWE's) intention was to put me on TV on June 5 but I will definitely be at Raw in Washington next week. I'm not saying they'll put me on TV right away, it could just be a dark match.

"But anything can happen."

Fucking hell yes, I'm excited! This guy is very solid in the ring already at 19. Did very well for himself in Japan and everywhere else he worked. Raw has me looking forward to June.

Cooler Tom Schuler
05-28-2006, 12:53 AM
Goddammit, I'm 20 and I still work at freakin' Denny's.

Zen v.W.o.
05-28-2006, 01:01 AM
Find your inner talent man.

At the age of 20, I was a college dropout and going nowhere fast. But I was a great street hockey player.

Corkscrewed
05-28-2006, 02:43 AM
I hope he doesn't lose his head and stays humble. I don't know much about him besides the whole "has great potential and is a great wrestler" stuff, but he seems like a pretty cool guy in the interview.

Bad Company
05-28-2006, 04:02 AM
put him in ecw

Pinnacle Charisma
05-28-2006, 04:27 AM
put him in ecw

Vince would never out such a great talent with such a strong wwe family background in ECW.

Dorkchop
05-28-2006, 10:09 AM
He's really young and I hope he doesn't burn out too quickly, or the WWE blow thier load on him. I just really hope they don't Randy Orton, Brock Lesnar, Renee Dupree, or Chris Masters him.

I'm all for him succeeding, don't get me wrong. But if he gets pushed too soon he runs the risk of over exposure.

St. Jimmy
05-28-2006, 11:47 AM
Technically holding a World Tag Belt qualifies as a Main-Event push... =D

Disturbed316
05-28-2006, 03:26 PM
Hopefully this could eventually lead to Davey being inducted to the Hall of Fame, with Harry aceepting it on his behalf.

Volare
05-28-2006, 03:50 PM
Hopefully this could eventually lead to Davey being inducted to the Hall of Fame, with Harry aceepting it on his behalf.

agreed. Maybe finally WWE found a "soon to be champ" that won't be predictable, or forced...

Rob
05-28-2006, 04:24 PM
Predicting now he'll headline his first PPV within 18 months and headline a Wrestlemania with 3 years.