PDA

View Full Version : Major spoiler from SD tapings

Splaya
02-04-2004, 10:46 AM
I just read on the SD spoilers that John Cena will face the Big Show at NWO for the #1 contedership to the SD title. What does this mean? Does this mean Lesnar could lose the belt at NWO and Eddie defends against Cena at WM XX? Or do they have some massive swerve angle planned. Post your thoughts as this is surely going to be one hell of an issue for the next couple of weeks.

KingofOldSchool
02-04-2004, 10:47 AM
Ummm Kurt Angle is also in that match.

Splaya
02-04-2004, 10:53 AM
i got this from prowrestling.com

- Kurt Angle def. Hardcore Holly. Heyman comes out, and is about to announce the No. 1 contender, but Big Show interrupts and comes to the ring to plead his case. Then John Cena interrupts and Heyman makes a Cena-Show-Angle match at No Way Out for the No. 1 contender spot. Cena
leaves, Heyman leaves, then Kurt and Show go nose to nose and and Kurt slams Show. I would guess the show cuts off before Kurt slams Show because they started swearing at that point.

Under no circumstances does it say that Kurt Angle is #1 contender. What it does say however is that it is Cena-Show for #1 contender. If prowrestling.com is wrong please let me know so i can post the right facts.

KingofOldSchool
02-04-2004, 10:54 AM
Then John Cena interrupts and Heyman makes a Cena-Show-Angle match at No Way Out for the No. 1 contender spot.

Read that line you dumb****er.

Splaya
02-04-2004, 10:56 AM
My bad. I was reading too fast and all i saw was Cena-Big show. I got too excited because i thought they were going to push Cena for WMXX. :sad: My apologies king :cry:

Fryza
02-04-2004, 10:57 AM
Yup, looks like they're setting up two of the 'Mania matches, should be fun to see how it is done, if done right. :y:

Splaya
02-04-2004, 10:59 AM
Yup, looks like they're setting up two of the 'Mania matches, should be fun to see how it is done, if done right. :y:

5 bucks says they drop the ball and have Angle make Cena tap out to the ankle lock.

The CyNick
02-04-2004, 11:01 AM
its funny when people prove themselves wrong in their own post

With this match, it looks like Eddie is going to win the WWE title. You have to think Angle will win, which will spin off Cena and Show for the US title at Mania. Then you have Eddie winning the WWE title, which will create Angle-Eddie for the title at Mania.

Only way out I can see is if Goldberg interferes in the #1 contenders match, making it a no contest, and then Angle helps Brock because he's mad that he's not going to be in the WWE title match at Mania.

The one good thing if Angle wins the match is that the outcome of the Brock-Eddie might still be a suprise to the casual fans. I mean they'll probably think, okay Kurt won, so they are doing another Kurt vs Brock match, but then Eddie will win.

I still think its the wrong move to put the title on Eddie, but at leats Angle-Eddie will be one of the better WWE title matches in Mania history, its just too bad it'll get burried.

Fryza
02-04-2004, 11:05 AM
I actually like the idea of putting the title on Eddie. He's a great worker, and the casual fan loves him. Meh, just my thought..

Splaya
02-04-2004, 11:06 AM
its funny when people prove themselves wrong in their own post

With this match, it looks like Eddie is going to win the WWE title. You have to think Angle will win, which will spin off Cena and Show for the US title at Mania. Then you have Eddie winning the WWE title, which will create Angle-Eddie for the title at Mania.

Only way out I can see is if Goldberg interferes in the #1 contenders match, making it a no contest, and then Angle helps Brock because he's mad that he's not going to be in the WWE title match at Mania.

The one good thing if Angle wins the match is that the outcome of the Brock-Eddie might still be a suprise to the casual fans. I mean they'll probably think, okay Kurt won, so they are doing another Kurt vs Brock match, but then Eddie will win.

I still think its the wrong move to put the title on Eddie, but at leats Angle-Eddie will be one of the better WWE title matches in Mania history, its just too bad it'll get burried.

Buried by what match though? Oh wait HHH is in a match isn't he :(

Blue Demon
02-04-2004, 12:06 PM
what's this runour I heard that Scotty and Rikishi won the tag titles? If it's true...why did they even get a shot?

The CyNick
02-04-2004, 12:30 PM
Buried by what match though? Oh wait HHH is in a match isn't he :(

Not just that match. When you look at some of the Mania matches, you can see certain matches will get more hype than others.

Right now the top matches look like this:

Benoit vs HHH (vs HBK) -- World Title
Eddie vs Kurt -- WWE Title
Brock vs Goldberg
Taker vs Kane
Rock n Sock vs Orotn/Batista

If you look at these matches in terms of which matches they should promote to drive buyrates, I think it would look something like this

#1 Taker-Kane
#2 Brock-Goldberg
#3 RocknSock
#4 Benoit-HHH
#5 Kurt-Eddie

So, using that logic, the Kurt-Eddie title match becomes a midcard match. Granted this is going to be a stacked card, and being #5 on this show is different than being #5 say at No Way Out or Armageddon. But, if they insist on having two world titles, then they should at leats try to make them seem like the most important things on the shows. The way this card is shaping up, neither title will be played off as being important, and both titles will be burried.

Now, Hunter's title match might get the 'main event spot' by going last, but as we've seen over the last two years the world titles have taken a back seat to other non title matches. In my opinion that hurts the credability of the titles, and impacts business throughout the rest of the year. I dont know, I just dont think the SD title should be in a position where 4 or 5 other matches are promoted more heavily.

Hey I could be completely wrong. Maybe they'll make some of the other matches take a backseat and focus on the title matches, but I highly doubt it.

Fryza
02-04-2004, 12:33 PM
See, I don't get why Rock and Batista are going to be in the Foley/Orton feud. With how that looks, that would gave Foley/Rock the win, and virtually kill all the heat the WWE has been stacking with Orton..

The CyNick
02-04-2004, 12:42 PM
See, I don't get why Rock and Batista are going to be in the Foley/Orton feud. With how that looks, that would gave Foley/Rock the win, and virtually kill all the heat the WWE has been stacking with Orton..

I think thats exactly why you put Rock in the mix.

Mania will be Foley's first match back (unless they don soemthing stupid on RAW in the coming weeks and give it away for free) in 4 years. I figure they might as well give him a win. The best way to do that is throw Rock and Batista into the mix, and say have Foley pin Batista.

That really wont hurt Randy much at all. Even if he takes the pin, its a tag match, he's a singles guy, this would be a tag match, doesn't reallt effect him. Then, at Backlash you continue the Foley-Orton fued, they have a one on one match (maybe a STreet Fight), and Orton wins and wins clean. That way he gets put over, but Foley still had his nice moment at Mania.

123 kid
02-04-2004, 01:01 PM
what's this runour I heard that Scotty and Rikishi won the tag titles? If it's true...why did they even get a shot?

:wtf: errmmm... they didnt win the tag titles

Danny Electric
02-04-2004, 01:10 PM
:wtf: errmmm... they didnt win the tag titles

Yes they did.

www.rajahwwf.com
- Rikishi and Scotty Too Hotty def. the Bashams to win the WWE tag-team
titles. Bashams were understandably pissed after the match, but no signs
of a break-up or anything. Rikishi won with a Samoan drop. Not sure
which Basham took the fall, but if one of them usually wears an elbow
pad and the other doesn’t, then it was the one who doesn’t wear one that
was pinned.

123 kid
02-04-2004, 01:15 PM
Yes they did.

www.rajahwwf.com
was pinned.

o yea sorry my bad :o sascha I apologise

Rob
02-04-2004, 01:19 PM
It's Eddie's time to get the belt. I can't see it being damaged at all unless they only give him a short reign. As long as he looks strong against Lesnar, the people will buy him as champion. They are just dying for him to main event and have for nearly a year now.

The CyNick
02-04-2004, 01:36 PM
It's Eddie's time to get the belt. I can't see it being damaged at all unless they only give him a short reign. As long as he looks strong against Lesnar, the people will buy him as champion. They are just dying for him to main event and have for nearly a year now.

See thats the problem, I dont see them booking his strong against Lesnar. I mean he'll have a back and forth match, but you gotta figure Goldberg sitting there at ringside is going to be the key factor in Eddie winning the title. Eddie will look weak (he'll get a nice pop, but what does that really mean?), and then he'll go to Mania in a match that will get very little promotion, be placed in the middle of the card, and be forgotten about by the end. Then Eddie will probably get heat when he doesn't increase business after Mania.

ColdwaVer
02-04-2004, 01:43 PM
was pinned.

Dear God. Has Scotty ever had gold before?

KingofOldSchool
02-04-2004, 01:48 PM
Dear God. Has Scotty ever had gold before?

Lightheavyweight and Tag Titles with Jerry's Kid. :lol:

Rob
02-04-2004, 01:52 PM
See thats the problem, I dont see them booking his strong against Lesnar. I mean he'll have a back and forth match, but you gotta figure Goldberg sitting there at ringside is going to be the key factor in Eddie winning the title. Eddie will look weak (he'll get a nice pop, but what does that really mean?), and then he'll go to Mania in a match that will get very little promotion, be placed in the middle of the card, and be forgotten about by the end. Then Eddie will probably get heat when he doesn't increase business after Mania.

I don't disagree at all. I think WWE is trying to go in the right direction by booking new stars but the problem is that they have no idea how to do it now.

ColdwaVer
02-04-2004, 01:53 PM
Lightheavyweight and Tag Titles with Jerry's Kid. :lol:

Back in my dark times of wretling then.

Weren't Rikishi and Scotty pi</>ssing and moaning a few months ago because they were getting buried in favor of Miller?

The CyNick
02-04-2004, 02:07 PM
I don't disagree at all. I think WWE is trying to go in the right direction by booking new stars but the problem is that they have no idea how to do it now.

Yeah I mean you look at the day after Mania, and there is a good chance we'll have Eddie and Benoit as the respective champions, one would think people like us would be kissing the sky. But if you look at Eddie winning the title thanks to Goldberg and Benoit winning the title by pinning HBK, its hardly something to get overly excited about.

Loose Cannon
02-04-2004, 02:15 PM
Dammit, they really need to wait a second before Eddie gets the belt. And I can't believe I just said that, but as Cynick pointed out, the Eddie-Kurt title match will get lost in the shuffle. They have to do a something where Brock still has the title at WM and he's facing Goldberg. Then after Goldberg leaves, Brock puts Eddie. First and foremost, this way Eddie looks strong as hell as he would beat the man who just beat Goldberg.

Innovator
02-04-2004, 02:38 PM
Even though the Kurt-Eddie match can get lost in the shuffle, I see it being the Steamboat/Savage of Wrestlemania XX. These two guys together can't put on a bad match if they tried. This match can and probably will put the Lesnar/Goldberg match to shame.

Loose Cannon
02-04-2004, 02:44 PM
Even though the Kurt-Eddie match can get lost in the shuffle, I see it being the Steamboat/Savage of Wrestlemania XX. These two guys together can't put on a bad match if they tried. This match can and probably will put the Lesnar/Goldberg match to shame.

Yeah but the Savage/ Steamboat match really had only one other match to compete with, Hogan/Andre. There are like 4 or 5 matches on this card that could be possible main events, so that's why it's a problem.

Bad Guy
02-04-2004, 03:03 PM
big show all the way. they are finally gonna utilize him as a beast.

Corkscrewed
02-04-2004, 03:25 PM
So Big Show postpones his US Title defense AGAIN. Geez... this will make it a good five months without DEFENDING it! :roll:

As much as I love Eddie, giving him the strap at NWO will be too soon. Lesnar has been on a tear, and fans won't perceive Eddie as a true champ. They'll just think it was a fluke.

With Goldberg having a ticket at NWO, it's already blatantly obvious that he'll screw Goldberg. So the surprising thing to do would be to have him try to screw Brock over but FAIL. That puts some intrigue. Instead, Angle interferes and screws Eddie over after... say losing the NWO match.

Problem is, of course, he's the only one who CAN win that match, unless they pull of some sort of No Contest finish (highly unlikely... it's not like HHH is in the match).

Bad move IMO. NWO could have been perfectly fine with Angle not even on the card. That would have added to his frustration (losing the Rumble to not even on the card the next month) and really given some boost to his heel turn. It would have also given a slot to more wrestlers.

Supermark101
02-04-2004, 07:25 PM

Having Goldberg screw Lesner will make Eddie look weak, but he will look stronger after a high profile/great match/win over Angle at Wrestlemania. Having the world Title on Eddie will add more to the Eddie/Angle match than it would to Lesner/Goldberg.

The CyNick
02-05-2004, 12:15 AM
Having Goldberg screw Lesner will make Eddie look weak, but he will look stronger after a high profile/great match/win over Angle at Wrestlemania. Having the world Title on Eddie will add more to the Eddie/Angle match than it would to Lesner/Goldberg.

But you're missing the point.

Angle and Benoit had a great match at WM X-Seven, but nobody remembers it because it was burried in the mid card of a stacked show.

If its possible, this show might be better than that one, and you have the title in a match that will not get as much ppiublicity as other matches. The smarter thing is to keep the title strong in a match that will get a ton of publicity (Brock-Goldberg), and then after that have Eddie win the title. That way, he still has the high profile match with Kurt, and on top of that he wins a strong championship by defeating a strong champion and doing it all on his own, as apposed to doing it because of someone else.

Fox
02-05-2004, 09:56 AM
If its possible, this show might be better than that one, and you have the title in a match that will not get as much ppiublicity as other matches. The smarter thing is to keep the title strong in a match that will get a ton of publicity (Brock-Goldberg), and then after that have Eddie win the title. That way, he still has the high profile match with Kurt, and on top of that he wins a strong championship by defeating a strong champion and doing it all on his own, as apposed to doing it because of someone else.

What could be better or more high-profile than defending the WWE Championship at WrestleMania?

Lesnar and Goldberg are both big enough names and are over enough to wrestle each other without the belt on the line. Calling that match a "WWE Title Match" doesn't really add anything. The publicity and hype will be big enough without it.

But if Eddie/Angle is a WWE Title match, then it will only give this match a more high profile spot on the card. Having this match be for the WWE Title will only make it better, and it won't hurt Eddie at all, especially if he wins in New York City. I think that putting the title on Guerrero at No Way Out is the best thing to do.

The CyNick
02-05-2004, 11:20 AM
What could be better or more high-profile than defending the WWE Championship at WrestleMania?

Lesnar and Goldberg are both big enough names and are over enough to wrestle each other without the belt on the line. Calling that match a "WWE Title Match" doesn't really add anything. The publicity and hype will be big enough without it.

But if Eddie/Angle is a WWE Title match, then it will only give this match a more high profile spot on the card. Having this match be for the WWE Title will only make it better, and it won't hurt Eddie at all, especially if he wins in New York City. I think that putting the title on Guerrero at No Way Out is the best thing to do.

Did you see Wrestlemania X-8?

In the build up to that show, all the publicity was based on Rock facing Hulk Hogan, and next to nothing was mentioned about the WWF title match between Jericho and HHH. Even though the title match went on last, it had no heat and very few people were interested in the outcome. By the end of that night, the biggets stars in the company were Hogan and Rock.

As a result, the title and the champion, seemed like a secondary issue. Once that happens, the belt loses a lot of its value, and historically having a weak championship will lead to poor business.

The same thing will happen with this card. The matches that will get all the publicity will be Kane-Taker, Goldberg-Brock and Foley's match. The other matches will take a backseat. As a result, the title looks like a prop, because the main matches on the card have nothing to do with the title.

How can you take a match that will be 5th or 6th from the top as being the match to determine 'the best' in the company? To me that doesn't make sense.

Blue Demon
02-05-2004, 12:08 PM
o yea sorry my bad :o sascha I apologise
s'all good

Heyman
02-05-2004, 12:24 PM

The 'marks' are generally stupid and ignorant people, but even the markiest of the marks can "forecast" that Lesnar and Goldberg are most likely headed for a collision course.

I wonder however - Eddie does have quite a bit of fanfare right now. Is him winning the title a good thing right now, or would it be like premature ejaculation? In other words, should the WWE wait a little more with Guerrero or pull the trigger right now?

Loose Cannon
02-05-2004, 12:48 PM
The 'marks' are generally stupid and ignorant people, but even the markiest of the marks can "forecast" that Lesnar and Goldberg are most likely headed for a collision course.

I wonder however - Eddie does have quite a bit of fanfare right now. Is him winning the title a good thing right now, or would it be like premature ejaculation? In other words, should the WWE wait a little more with Guerrero or pull the trigger right now?

I would vote to wit until after WM, because like I said before if Eddie beats Lesner after Lesner defeated Goldie at Mania, it makes Eddie look a hell of a lot stronger. But he's got to go over Angle at Mania.

Rob
02-05-2004, 02:18 PM
Did you see Wrestlemania X-8?

In the build up to that show, all the publicity was based on Rock facing Hulk Hogan, and next to nothing was mentioned about the WWF title match between Jericho and HHH. Even though the title match went on last, it had no heat and very few people were interested in the outcome. By the end of that night, the biggets stars in the company were Hogan and Rock.

As a result, the title and the champion, seemed like a secondary issue. Once that happens, the belt loses a lot of its value, and historically having a weak championship will lead to poor business.

The same thing will happen with this card. The matches that will get all the publicity will be Kane-Taker, Goldberg-Brock and Foley's match. The other matches will take a backseat. As a result, the title looks like a prop, because the main matches on the card have nothing to do with the title.

How can you take a match that will be 5th or 6th from the top as being the match to determine 'the best' in the company? To me that doesn't make sense.

I don't really think any one match is going to be pushed more than another for this show. The name is what is selling the show and the plan is probably to pack it and make the whole thing as memorable as possible.

Remember, while Rock vs. Hogan got all the pub, Jericho was being booked like sh</>it from the second he got the belt and the plan until the day of the show was for Rock and Hogan to go on last.

The CyNick
02-05-2004, 03:25 PM
I don't really think any one match is going to be pushed more than another for this show. The name is what is selling the show and the plan is probably to pack it and make the whole thing as memorable as possible.

Remember, while Rock vs. Hogan got all the pub, Jericho was being booked like sh</>it from the second he got the belt and the plan until the day of the show was for Rock and Hogan to go on last.

Yeah, I agree in terms of PPV buys, the show is going to be sold on it being "Wrestlemania XX", instead of seeing Brock vs Goldberg or any other match. Although, I will say I have friends who are going crazy for Taker coming back with the old gimmick, so take that for what its worth (maybe not much).

But, I do think at some point they will run ads that talk about the matches. My guess is that there will likely be separate promos for Goldberg-Brock, Taker-Kane and the Foley deal. Then I think a fourth ad will focus on the two title matches in one ad. If you recall last year's show, they had 4 separate commercials, I see the same happening here.

Anyway, on WWE TV you'll see all those ads. But when it comes to ads on non wrestling shows (like say Survivor for example), I think they'll focus on one or two of the top three (in otherwords excluding the title matches), which business wise makes sense, because casual fans aint gonna care about Benoit or Eddie winning the WWE title. However they might see Rock, Foley, Takler or Goldberg and say "I know those guys, I'll check this show out".

So then you get a deal where a lot of the people watching the show will see the two title matches (especially the SD one, because the RAW title match has a chance of going on last, which makes it seem somewhat special) as largely unimportant.

So, you're right its probably not as bad as WM X-8, because I dont think Benoit or Eddie will get booked as poorly as Jericho was, but at the same time the title matches will still come off as second rate to the casual fans who dont order other WWE PPVs watching at home.

Rob
02-05-2004, 05:31 PM
Give it a month and your mates will be hating the Taker again.

The CyNick
02-05-2004, 06:10 PM
Give it a month and your mates will be hating the Taker again.

Yeah, I know it. Thats why I think its best to keep him away form Kane on TV. I ahve a feeling when people get it out of their system seeing him for the first time back, they will be less likely to order Mania.

But it is interesting to me that a guy who never orders a PPV would be willing to shell out $50 to see this show just because of it.

Ive said before I think this needs to be a short term deal. He faces Kane, maybe does a tour of the country to increase attendance at house shows, and then go back to Biker Taker.

Corkscrewed
02-05-2004, 06:36 PM
Or retires... he's getting upwards in age, so it's almost time.

And this is coming from a huge Taker mark too.

Supermark101
02-05-2004, 09:36 PM
But you're missing the point.

Angle and Benoit had a great match at WM X-Seven, but nobody remembers it because it was burried in the mid card of a stacked show.

Eddie will not have a high profile match against Angle unless there is a World title on the line. Thats what I'm trying to say. If Angle/Eddie is not a title match it will be easier to forget. Just like Angle/Benoit from X-7. Eddie can be a strong champion going into Wrestlemania, and stronger after with a clean win over a multiple time champion Angle.

asphyXy
02-05-2004, 09:58 PM
<font color=969696>Kurt: "You eat pieces of crap for breakfast? Sicko."</font>

Loose Cannon
02-05-2004, 10:03 PM
<font color=969696>Kurt: "You eat pieces of crap for breakfast? Sicko."</font>

lol, that was from Happy Gilmore

Superman16343
02-05-2004, 10:05 PM
lol Yes it was... John Cena is the MAN

Loose Cannon
02-05-2004, 10:06 PM
lol Yes it was... John Cena is the MAN

:yes: :yes:

Deceit
02-06-2004, 11:21 AM
"Ive said before I think this needs to be a short term deal. He faces Kane, maybe does a tour of the country to increase attendance at house shows, and then go back to Biker Taker."

I agree, but how would the WWE do this? It doesn't seem like an easy transisition. Taker's all dark, evil, makes lightning bolts hit the ring one minute, next he says "Time to go ride some motorcycles and wear regular non-demonic clothes!"?