PDA

View Full Version : When players retire...

RoXer
05-30-2006, 02:58 PM
And I guess this goes for all sports in all parts of the world.

But when players retire, do they get retirement checks or some type of benefit from the league they retired from?

Jesus Shuttlesworth
05-30-2006, 03:37 PM
I am pretty sure in the NBA if you are in the league for a set amount of time (either 3 or 4 years) you are eligiable for a pension

Rob
05-30-2006, 06:07 PM
I know in Britain, athletes set up their own pensions.

BCWWF
05-30-2006, 11:27 PM
I don't know the details, but that really good basketball player for the Minneapolis Lakers in the 1950's (forget his name, but he was called the Shaq of his day) was having all kinds of trouble before he died because the NBA's pension didn't include him or something.

Gonzo
05-31-2006, 04:09 PM
I know the NFL has something but I think a lot of guys get fucked by it too.

Gonzo
05-31-2006, 04:10 PM
Which is bullshit because the NFL makes tons with the revenue sharing.

Nervous Ferret
05-31-2006, 04:13 PM
I don't know the details, but that really good basketball player for the Minneapolis Lakers in the 1950's (forget his name, but he was called the Shaq of his day) was having all kinds of trouble before he died because the NBA's pension didn't include him or something.Pretty sure it was George Mikan, I think I saw the same special as you. Yeah something like he retired before before 1958 and that was when the NBA implemented there pension plan or something. I don't remember. He died though

Jesus Shuttlesworth
05-31-2006, 07:00 PM
I am sure they get something since now all the major leagues have players unions and unions usually help create shit like that. Majority of the players really shouldn't need pensions though but they gotta have those 10 cars with 10000 rims on each of them you know

YOUR Hero
05-31-2006, 11:46 PM
The more time in the league, the more the players are eligible for.

Rob Ban Fan
06-05-2006, 12:35 PM
<Font color="#ff6600">As Rob said, in Britain they can set up pensions which they can start to withdraw whenever they retire, which is usually in their 30's, which is a lot younger than when most people start drawing their pensions. Although I read recently somewhere they were trying to stop this.

They don't get paid anything by the league or their club, but if they have to retire due to injury the clubs can claim insurance money, i dunno if players are entitled to any of it though. </font>

SecretDesire
06-15-2006, 03:23 PM
I would assume that they would try to work on endorsements and good investments. Every players knows that they are no guarantees. It isnt even promised that they will retire. The smart thing would be "likable". Endorsements can be residuale.