PDA

View Full Version : Hogan Interview from The Sun

zdmay
06-06-2006, 11:42 PM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2003560001-2006260225,00.html

Hogan's still running wild

By SIMON 'LILSBOY' ROTHSTEIN

HE'S the greatest wrestler who ever lived.

And Hulk Hogan is preparing to return to the squared circle for at least one more run.

In a world exclusive interview with SunSport Online The Hulkster - who is currently starring in his own MTV reality show Hogan Knows Best every Sunday at 9.30pm - revealed that he and WWE boss Vince McMahon are already planning his next comeback.

Hogan told us: "I really do miss wrestling.

"I'm 52-years-old, but I'm in pretty darn good shape and have been training hard.

"I spoke to Vince in New York on Sunday and he's asked me to come back. He wants to make me the Babe Ruth or Muhammad Ali of wrestling.

"Next April WrestleMania is back in Detroit, Michigan. Twenty years ago in the same city, at the same event, I bodyslammed Andre The Giant.

"Vince was saying to me: 'Oh my gosh, you have to be in the main event 20 years later.'

"We'll probably end up doing business."

That business may or may not include Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Alongside Hogan, Austin can lay claim to being the biggest superstar in wrestling history.

And putting the pair of them against each other for the first time would provide the dream match to end all dream matches - especially if it takes place at WrestleMania 23.

Hogan wanted the bout to happen at this year's event in Chicago, and told us he even took his wrestling gear to the Hall Of Fame ceremony the night before just in case.

The Hulkster said: "I've thrown the challenge out there and now it's up to Stone Cold if he wants to do the match.

"I really don't know why it hasn't happened already. I thought maybe Vince and Steve had fallen out, but I've since found out that they've done some sort of deal to keep Austin as part of the company.

"So if he's part of the WWE, I've got no idea why Steve wouldn't want to have a match at WrestleMania.

"I don't know if he has a problem with me personally.

"When we were in WCW, and he was Stunning Steve Austin, he talked to me a couple of times about different ideas he had to work with me.

"The ideas were OK, they weren't home runs but they were pretty good.

"Then when I came back to the WWE with the nWo, he was pretty much in charge there and we had a few storylines together. There were no problems at all.

"There aren't any 'dream matches' for me, because I've done so much I'm not on that level of 'oh my gosh, I'd love to work with him'.

"It's more that I want to do good business, help the sport and give the fans what they want. And working with Steve would do all three."

The Hulkster admits that one problem in any potential Hogan v Austin match would be how it would finish.

Wrestling results may be predetermined, but who wins is as important to a grappler as any star of a 'real' sport.

When Hulk pinned Shawn Michaels at SummerSlam, Michaels went on Raw the next night and did an interview implying Hogan, the match and the business were a joke.

"That was all about his ego," Hulk blasted. "Shawn Michaels is a born-again Christian, but inside he's the same old Shawn Michaels. He hasn't changed a bit.

"At that point we were talking about doing more matches, but when I heard his promo I wasn't interested in working with him again.

"If Vince McMahon had told me to lose to Shawn Michaels it would have been no big deal, it's nothing personal just business.

"But I don't think he ever got in trouble for what he said, because backstage they think all that stuff is cute.

"I don't know how to explain it, but there was this attitude that came along with some of the guys in the late 1990s.

"They'd take the heat away from the matches and make opponents out to be ridiculous.

"You can only act like that if you don't care about the business."

Even though the Hulkster has no time for Shawn Michaels any more, he certainly isn't close to Shawn's arch-enemy Bret Hart.

Hart refused to shake Hogan's hand at this year's Hall Of Fame and still holds a grudge about Hulk preferring to drop the WWE title to Yokozuna instead of him back in 1993.

"Bret Hart had a case of the ass at the Hall Of Fame," Hogan revealed. "He was mad at me and Ric Flair and a bunch of other people because we told the truth on the (never released) Screwed DVD about him.

"Bret says the business is a work but he really thinks it's a shoot. He really believes he's the greatest wrestler ever. Of course he's not, Kurt Angle or a lot of guys could beat him if it was a real wrestling match.

"My view on the 1997 Survivor Series - that match where Bret screwed Bret up in Montreal - is that Vince needed to get the belt off him, because he wasn't drawing any money, and Bret acted totally unprofessionally.

"So I gave that opinion on the DVD. I said when Vince McMahon asked him to lose the belt, then he should have lost it.

"Because wrestling is not real, it's entertainment."

As for the title he never lost to Bret, Hogan commented: "There were several miscommunications that happened over that.

"Basically I was leaving and had some problems about putting the belt on the right person, because if you put the belt on the wrong person when you come back it's hard to get the business going again.

"If Vince had told me to drop the belt to Bret I would have done it, but since he asked me I said: 'I need to drop to Yokozuna, he's red hot right now. He can carry it.'

"But it's just an ongoing saga with these guys. I have to focus on what's good for me and my family. I can't worry about these personal b*****s with everybody. It's not what business is about.

"If Vince McMahon told me to lose the belt tomorrow to you, then I'd do it with class and charisma."

During his time in the wrestling business Hogan has fought almost everyone from King Kong Bundy to The Rock.

He rates Austin, Macho Man Randy Savage, Mr Wonderful Paul Orndorff, Mr Perfect Curt Hennig, Andre The Giant and One Man Gang as the best of all time.

And canvassing opinion before this interview there were three very different opponents everyone we spoke to wanted to know about - Randy, Andre and The Ultimate Warrior.

Hogan was happy to oblige, telling us: "Andre was always fun to work with. For the first seven or eight years he didn't like me and would shoot style beat me up all the time - I'd get sick just thinking about wrestling him. Then we became friends later on in my career.

"Macho Man was awesome at what he did and someone who I could always draw a lot of money with.

"Whenever I was taking time off to do movies or have surgery he was a good person to keep the belt on and I didn't have a problem with Macho Man being the champion even when I was there.

"Sadly in his later years, Randy got wacky and crazy and bipolar.

"He accused me of everything - when his wife left him, when he got divorced and when he lost his job, he blamed me for it all. But he never said anything about me getting him a job with WCW or a couple of million dollars more than they were offering.

"Ultimate Warrior had a hell of a gimmick, but wrestling is about so much more than that. You have to be consistent, work main events every night and have matches that people really believe in and want to see.

"Warrior wasn't one of those guys that had the wrestling business in his blood, he didn't love wrestling like Randy Savage and Bret Hart did.

"I knew as soon as he made a little money he would get lazy or disappear - and that's basically what happened.

"We had a great match at WrestleMania 6, but I remember five minutes in he was breathing very heavily and he wanted to go home - he wanted to end the match.

"I said: 'We're not going home until you Gorilla Press me over your head and I kick out of your finish. We'll give the people a huge reaction then you can kick out of my Leg Drop then we'll go home.'

"I had to hold him down in a rear chinlock until he calmed down and stopped freaking out!"

Warrior was the first man to beat Hogan cleanly by pinfall for around eight years - but like much of Hulk's career it wasn't without controversy.

Hogan admits that after Warrior defeated him, he purposely hogged the limelight by handing over the title and therefore set the new champion up to fail.

He told us: "Hulkamania was so powerful at the time, but Vince had fallen in love with The Ultimate Warrior gimmick.

"Vince wanted another force in the WWF as strong as Hulkamania, as that would give him control, a bigger business and protection in case I got hurt.

"I'm loyal to a fault - even though I've been to hell and back with Vince McMahon, I would never to do anything to hurt him.

"But it's also survival of the fittest out there.

"I knew he picked the wrong guy and at the end of the match I had to take care of myself, and one of the ways I did that was stealing the spotlight from The Ultimate Warrior.

"I showed that a real champion was more gracious in defeat than victory so that in the end nobody cared about the belt.

"All they cared about was Hulk Hogan."

And almost 30 years since he first stepped foot inside a wrestling ring, people do still care deeply about the star.

It's the same feeling of love Hogan has for all his Hulkamaniacs.

"I love to give the fans what they want," he told us. "They're what I miss most when I'm not wrestling.

"That time in the ring is like being in heaven for me."

Hired Hitman
06-06-2006, 11:47 PM
"I'm 52-years-old, but I'm in pretty darn good shape and have been training hard."

Well...

weather vane
06-06-2006, 11:52 PM
Akeem is one of the greatest. I agree.

Londoner
06-06-2006, 11:53 PM
"HE'S the greatest wrestler who ever lived. "

After I read that I stopped reading.

Bad Company
06-07-2006, 12:12 AM
Wow. Hogan hit the nail on the head.

No wonder he's the greatest :D

NeanderCarl
06-07-2006, 12:15 AM
I have a strrrrrrrrrrange feeling that, due to it being the 20th anniversary of Hogan/Andre, there's a reason The Great Khali is being pushed as an unstoppable giant....

Hogan vs. Khali, WrestleMania 23, Detroit???

Please, no.

Mr. Aristocrat
06-07-2006, 12:40 AM
So he admitted to hogging the limelight to keep Warrior down...and then he talks about he would never do anything to hurt McMahon's business?

I hate Hogan, I seriously fucking hate Hulk Hogan.

Londoner
06-07-2006, 12:54 AM
I have a strrrrrrrrrrange feeling that, due to it being the 20th anniversary of Hogan/Andre, there's a reason The Great Khali is being pushed as an unstoppable giant....

Hogan vs. Khali, WrestleMania 23, Detroit???

Please, no.

Exactly my thoughts.

Skippord
06-07-2006, 01:04 AM
"Bret Hart had a case of the ass at the Hall Of Fame," Hogan revealed. "He was mad at me and Ric Flair and a bunch of other people because we told the truth on the (never released) Screwed DVD about him.

I FUCKING HATE HULK HOGAN

Bad Company
06-07-2006, 01:22 AM
wah wah wah, I'm Bret Hart, I wear Pink Tights.

James Steele
06-07-2006, 01:52 AM
I FUCKING LOATHE HULK HOGAN.

NeanderCarl
06-07-2006, 08:49 AM
Hogan is a manipulative, ruthless businessman. You can look it it one of two ways:

i) he's a bastard who doesn't deserve his success because of his attitude
ii) he deserves his success because it serves the other wrestlers right for not having the smarts to match him in the political game. You snooze, you lose.

You hate Hogan because he's not dissimilar to your "boss" types. He knows what to say, and when to say it, to make himself look good. And he is arrogant and egotistical, but then he has earned the right to be, more so than 95% of other wrestlers.

I'm not defending him, per se. I'm kind of on the fence between i) and ii)

Pinnacle Charisma
06-07-2006, 09:37 AM
So he admitted to hogging the limelight to keep Warrior down...and then he talks about he would never do anything to hurt McMahon's business?

I hate Hogan, I seriously fucking hate Hulk Hogan.

Yeah thats the same reaction I had when I read the same shit about the warrior and his supposed loyality to Vince in his book

Ben Rodrigues
06-07-2006, 10:19 AM
Is there anyone who seriously believes Shawn jobbing to Hogan at Summerslam was the right thing to do? Just curious.

Pepsi Man
06-07-2006, 11:52 AM
Is there anyone who seriously believes Shawn jobbing to Hogan at Summerslam was the right thing to do? Just curious.
Sure. With all of these Hogan comebacks, he's gotta get at least a few W's, in order to keep the interest going. Why not let Shawn take a few lumps. It's funny how Hogan calls him on being a born-again Christian too.

Corkscrewed
06-07-2006, 01:39 PM
LMAO.

Still the ego-hogging prick, but at least he's honest about it in a couple of those paragraphs.

St. Jimmy
06-07-2006, 02:07 PM
Hulk Hogan is an elderly cocksucking douchebag who is too dilusional to realise that he is over-hyped, over-paid, and over-rated.

Also, if he Main Events WM in Detroit: Vince McMahon, WWE, Hulk Hogan, and whoever is willing to job to Hogan can suck my ass with a straw. I know atleast 100 other people agree.

Volchok
06-07-2006, 02:48 PM
I hope one time Hogan is in the ring and he blows out his hip and is never able to wrestle again let alone walk. FUCK YOU HOGAN!

The One
06-07-2006, 04:36 PM
Hulk Hogan is an elderly cocksucking douchebag who is too dilusional to realise that he is over-hyped, over-paid, and over-rated.

Also, if he Main Events WM in Detroit: Vince McMahon, WWE, Hulk Hogan, and whoever is willing to job to Hogan can suck my ass with a straw. I know atleast 100 other people agree.

The single greatest post of all time. Ever. Ever. Ever...Ever.

loopydate
06-07-2006, 04:46 PM
Hogan's a jackass, but he did make a couple of valid points in there. Of course, they were smothered in all the other shit he said, so I suppose it's a wash.

Gray
06-07-2006, 04:56 PM
Hogan is 52? Are you shitting me?

When WCW was on [10years ago] he looked like a very very old early 40's person! I thought he was easily getting into his late 60's now -.-

Flair Wooo
06-07-2006, 07:28 PM
I FUCKING HATE HULK HOGAN

Flair Wooo
06-07-2006, 07:29 PM
wah wah wah, I'm Bret Hart, I wear Pink Tights.

Bret Hart is God deal with it.

The One
06-07-2006, 07:34 PM
Bret Hart is not god. Bret Hart is one of those people who was a legend by default. He was the best at his time, but his time wasn't a good time...see what I'm saying. No. That's ok too. Bottom line is I think Hart is over rated and I think Hogan is a douche, but Hogan is way more of a douche then Hart is over rated.

loopydate
06-07-2006, 07:36 PM
Well put, One. I do think Hart matches up favorably with some of the top guys, but he was only the "best in the business" because business was awful. People give Kevin Nash crap for the business he did as champion in 1995, but it wasn't a whole lot better in 1994, either.

Bad Company
06-07-2006, 08:08 PM
Bret Hart is God deal with it.
Oh I know what fans are like. I jut think he was overrated. The Rock is 12423923578345 times what Bret Hart was.

Ben Rodrigues
06-07-2006, 08:41 PM
Who cares if Bret drew or not. He was an excellent in ring psychologist, he cut some excellent Anti-American promos and always carried the WWF Title with dignity. If you were able to see him in his prime and enjoyed it - be thankful for the memories.

Skippord
06-08-2006, 01:12 AM

The only way they could salvage that is by bringing in Chris Jericho having him job to the Legdrop then jump up and Put Hogan in the Liontamer for 3 Hours :shifty:

Pepsi Man
06-08-2006, 11:35 AM
Hogan is 52? Are you shitting me?

When WCW was on [10years ago] he looked like a very very old early 40's person! I thought he was easily getting into his late 60's now -.-
Not very good with math, are we?

UmbrellaCorporation
06-08-2006, 11:47 AM
Oh I know what fans are like. I jut think he was overrated. The Rock is 12423923578345 times what Bret Hart was.

If there was ever a more correct statement posted here, I have not found it yet.

dablackguy
06-08-2006, 12:29 PM
Hogan... :roll:

I had a conversation with a friend about this, he said that Hogan should come back and save wrestling blah blah blah

I agree with the people that said Hogan is a douchebag. But its not something that people should be shocked about, we all knew. The Warrior thing to me, is the most overly dick thing a guy could do. Hogan has 0 interest in the business itself. Hogan cares about the hogan name and the Hogan legacy, that's about it. Don't delude yourselves intothinking he'd come back and put over young talent, he'd come back and MAYBE but over Cena, whom most of us hate anyways. Basically it'd be the talent he deemed worthy of putting over.

"So if he's part of the WWE, I've got no idea why Steve wouldn't want to have a match at WrestleMania.

"I don't know if he has a problem with me personally.

"When we were in WCW, and he was Stunning Steve Austin, he talked to me a couple of times about different ideas he had to work with me.

"The ideas were OK, they weren't home runs but they were pretty good.

Hogan being a dick and already starting the political games. If I were Austin and perfectly happy with where I was, I would go nowhere near Hogan or this match.

"I knew he picked the wrong guy and at the end of the match I had to take care of myself, and one of the ways I did that was stealing the spotlight from The Ultimate Warrior.

"I showed that a real champion was more gracious in defeat than victory so that in the end nobody cared about the belt.

"All they cared about was Hulk Hogan."

This statement perfectly sums up how much of a dick Hogan is. I have no problems with people displaying insane fanboyism with regard to hogan, but don't deny the guy is a selfish, fucked up prick.

Hogan is a manipulative, ruthless businessman. You can look it it one of two ways:

i) he's a bastard who doesn't deserve his success because of his attitude
ii) he deserves his success because it serves the other wrestlers right for not having the smarts to match him in the political game. You snooze, you lose.

What wrestler has the pull do play the games with him? Anyone who goes out there and deliberately makes Hogan look like shit is going to have to watch his ass. Let's be honest here, how far in Vince's ear after all this time is Hogan? If I had to guess, your first guess is the right guess.

You hate Hogan because he's not dissimilar to your "boss" types. He knows what to say, and when to say it, to make himself look good. And he is arrogant and egotistical, but then he has earned the right to be, more so than 95% of other wrestlers.

Problem is, Hogan isn't supposed to be a boss type. hogan is supposed to be A) A long retired legend or B) One of the boys like everyone else You wanna cite what hogan has done for the business? Fine, but that doesn't mean the guy should have the pull to wrestle twice a year or so and have whoever he wants job to him with no chance to get that back. I mean, again, he only wrestles twice a year.

Bret Hart is not god. Bret Hart is one of those people who was a legend by default. He was the best at his time, but his time wasn't a good time...see what I'm saying. No. That's ok too. Bottom line is I think Hart is over rated and I think Hogan is a douche, but Hogan is way more of a douche then Hart is over rated.

Ironically, the most negative thing in Hart's career is the same thing that defines Hart's career and makes him such a legend. If you (not you specifically) think that Montreal didn't help define Hart/make him a legend/sympathetic figure then you don't know what's going on.

Yes, Bret had some legendary matches. Obviously, we're all going to talk about the Iron man match, his match with Austin at 13, etc. But you'd be foolish to deny the fact that Montreal did more for Bret Hart than any of those.

St. Jimmy
06-08-2006, 01:45 PM
the only thing that intregued me about this interview:

Hogan:

that alone makes me want to see the never-released Screwed DVD.

"If Vince McMahon told me to lose the belt tomorrow to you, then I'd do it with class and charisma."

LMAO. Rrrrrightttt.