PDA

View Full Version : WWE/TNA Trademark News: WWF, Hogan, ECW One Night Stand, Raven, Deadlys

Xero
06-21-2006, 11:19 PM
WWE is close to finalizing 'World Wrestling Federation' trademark. It's going through the
'opposition' phase.

Meanwhile, Anheuser Busch Inc. is opposing the 'ECW One Night Stand' trademark. No reason given why; while WWE is opposing Bubba Ray Dudley Inc.'s trademark of 'The Deadly Brothers'. Again no reason given why, but its probably obvious why.

In non-WWE trademark news, a company in Italy called Tod's S.p.A is opposing "Hulk Hogan", "Hollywood Hulk Hogan" and "Brooke Hogan" because they own a trademark to "Hogan". As well, another company based in Chicago called Stealth Industries Inc is opposing "Hulk Hogan" and "Hollywood Hogan" because they own a trademark to "Hulk".

NFL Properties LLC, Baltimore Ravens Limited Partnership and Scott Levy himself are opposing TNA's trademark of "RAVEN".

Source: http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=18713&p=1

Have Bubba and Devon used the "Deadly" name yet anywhere?

Innovator
06-21-2006, 11:23 PM
I thought Raven owned the rights to his name

Xero
06-21-2006, 11:25 PM
Apparently TNA also trademarked it, as he's fighting them too.

Kane Knight
06-21-2006, 11:28 PM
Legally, you can trademark anything you want. I could trademark World Wildlife Fund, but it doesn't mean it would make it through. Of course, if unopposed, I coudl get the rights to the name.

Pepsi Man
06-22-2006, 01:03 AM
haha...so Raven's REALLY fighting TNA management. :D

Jesus Shuttlesworth
06-22-2006, 01:38 AM
So they are gonna get the WWF name back?

Dave Youell
06-22-2006, 03:30 AM
So they are gonna get the WWF name back?
Yes, when Kane Knight trademarks it, can't you read?

Mr. JL
06-22-2006, 03:46 AM
That is some pretty bullshit stuff for TNA to try and pull.

Raven, a guy who came in to help the company, and they end up trying to steal his name+gimmick+whatever else they can get from the character he and Paul Heyman built in ECW. Not to mention the character/storyline advances that occured in both WCW and WWF/E that helped solidify him as a 'name' wrestler.

For a company that claims to be the polar opposite from the WWE, they sure try to screw you as if they were a BIG time company with a two primetime television shows a week, that has been proven to be viewed by God only knows how many viewers in the past 30 plus years.

V
06-22-2006, 05:14 AM
big mark out moment if they get the F back in

Xero
06-22-2006, 12:04 PM
I think they're only trademarking World Wrestling Federation for the Legends department. That would make the most sense.

Unless they're starting a new brand where all the old farts go.

TerranRich
06-22-2006, 02:30 PM
Unless they're starting a new brand where all the old farts go.
I thought they decided not to bring back WCW.

Xero
06-22-2006, 02:48 PM
I thought they decided not to bring back WCW.
No no, I meant buying out TNA.

TerranRich
06-22-2006, 03:04 PM
Same thing.

Oh, and why not let the company that owns Budweiser own the "ECW One Night Stand" name? Sandman would be very pleased.

Xero
06-22-2006, 03:05 PM
I hope the church sues Triple H. :shifty:

ron the dial
06-22-2006, 04:04 PM
I hope the church sues Triple H. :shifty:

Fuck that. Let's book it now: Triple H vs. Jesus Christ at Wrestlemania 24. If they can book God, why not his son?

KayfabeMan
06-22-2006, 04:31 PM
Jeez.

James Steele
06-22-2006, 04:41 PM
Dudley =/= Deadly

Kane Knight
06-22-2006, 07:37 PM
Keep in mind wrestling in camo is off limits to them. Compared to that, the Deadly Brothers is a damn tiny difference.

6to1
06-22-2006, 08:27 PM
i wonder if the band the james gang will sue tna now that they are back togather, or will they write entrence music for them.

Batsu
06-22-2006, 11:27 PM
big mark out moment if they get the F back in

not so much a mark-out moment but if they are allowed to say "WWF" and such on old footage, then I'm all for it.

Then we could have some decent Attitude-era videos; perhaps a real comprehensive video of The Rock, DX, and others that came up through that time.

as for the Raven shit, it's pretty simple: It's gay.

Why doesn't Levy just copyright it and say screw the rest, like Jericho did?

Scott Levy IS Raven, and I doubt he'd go around suing the Baltimore Ravens or any other entity "infringing the copyright" like WWE and other litigation-happy jabronis do.

Kane Knight
06-22-2006, 11:55 PM
How lame is it anyone would mark out for the F?

Xero
06-23-2006, 12:24 AM
You know, it's not like the WWE chops their old Attitude footage to hell. Hell, COPS has blurs EVERYWHERE and that shit has been on the air for like 15 years.

RVDmark
06-23-2006, 07:19 AM
Its a mark out moment because the world suddenly realised its not that hard to differenciate between a panda protection agency and a wrestling federation, whether or not they have the same initials.

Skippord
06-23-2006, 08:02 AM
How lame is it anyone would mark out for the F?

Kane Knight
06-23-2006, 08:55 AM
Its a mark out moment because the world suddenly realised its not that hard to differenciate between a panda protection agency and a wrestling federation, whether or not they have the same initials.

You're a fucking retard.

Skippord
06-23-2006, 08:57 AM
I dont know why that was very funny to me

TerranRich
06-23-2006, 09:54 AM
You know, it's not like the WWE chops their old Attitude footage to hell. Hell, COPS has blurs EVERYWHERE and that shit has been on the air for like 15 years.
I say they do. They blur the scratch-WWF belts, blur the scratch-WWF logos from the ring aprons, mute out anybody saying "WWF", edit the commentary a great deal, edit entire entrance themes completely for the WrestleMania Anthology set, even for no reason (e.g., Slick). I say that's more than chopping...more like butchering.

Xero
06-23-2006, 12:30 PM
I say they do. They blur the scratch-WWF belts, blur the scratch-WWF logos from the ring aprons, mute out anybody saying "WWF", edit the commentary a great deal, edit entire entrance themes completely for the WrestleMania Anthology set, even for no reason (e.g., Slick). I say that's more than chopping...more like butchering.
I haven't even NOTICED the differences in commentary in the Mania Anthology. They say WWF so little that it hardly makes a difference. The only way you'd know is if there's a serious gap in commentary (and let's face it, it doesn't take long to say "WWF") or if it's part of a sentance. And after about ten minutes I hardly even notice the blurs.

As for themes, for whatever reason (almost always copyright issues) they're changed, and even if the WWE was still the WWF it would still be modified. Hell, the ORIGINAL release of Mania 1 was edited. Can you tell me which theme was edited out?

Kane Knight
06-23-2006, 12:52 PM
As for themes, for whatever reason (almost always copyright issues) they're changed, and even if the WWE was still the WWF it would still be modified. Hell, the ORIGINAL release of Mania 1 was edited. Can you tell me which theme was edited out?

That's part of what cracks me up. Even if it was WWF, you'd still have themes changes, you'd still have edits (Hell, WWE's edited their recent Wrestlemanias without even needing a court order to change the name or losing the rights to use a song.

And the massive hate that comes out of it, as though your memories would be completely preserved if not for Pandas being greedy, is fucking hilarious in its sheer level of stupidity.

Though personally, I am a bit annoyed by the blurs, and would like to see some sort of agreement where past products can be released with the WWF logos/phrases included.

If not, I won't lose any sleep, I'm just saying I would prefer it. I could actually care less about edits, as long as they don't disrupt my viewing at all (Like you said, it's hard to noticed the commentary being affected, so that doesn't bug me)

TerranRich
06-23-2006, 01:05 PM
The blurs bother me, the theme replacements bother me, the commentary replacements don't in the least, mostly because I don't even notice. I was told they did it.

Xero
06-23-2006, 01:16 PM
That's part of what cracks me up. Even if it was WWF, you'd still have themes changes, you'd still have edits (Hell, WWE's edited their recent Wrestlemanias without even needing a court order to change the name or losing the rights to use a song.

And the massive hate that comes out of it, as though your memories would be completely preserved if not for Pandas being greedy, is fucking hilarious in its sheer level of stupidity.

Though personally, I am a bit annoyed by the blurs, and would like to see some sort of agreement where past products can be released with the WWF logos/phrases included.

If not, I won't lose any sleep, I'm just saying I would prefer it. I could actually care less about edits, as long as they don't disrupt my viewing at all (Like you said, it's hard to noticed the commentary being affected, so that doesn't bug me)
Oh yeah, I would PREFER the WWE to get an agreement to allow everything unblurred, but it's not like "OMG I CAN'T SEE A LOGO SO IM NOT GOING TO WASTE MY MONEY ON THIS SET WITH ONLY ONE ATTITUDE MATCH ON IT".

Kane Knight
06-23-2006, 03:30 PM
Oh yeah, I would PREFER the WWE to get an agreement to allow everything unblurred, but it's not like "OMG I CAN'T SEE A LOGO SO IM NOT GOING TO WASTE MY MONEY ON THIS SET WITH ONLY ONE ATTITUDE MATCH ON IT".

Yeah, it's more "It'd be nice."