PDA

View Full Version : Your Best Face or Heel Turns

OverTaker
07-14-2006, 12:52 AM
When Angle changed to a face when he jumped to Smackdown and won the Title.

You??

Anybody Thrilla
07-14-2006, 12:55 AM
When Shawn Michaels threw Marty Jannetty through the Barber Shop window. Hands down, best heel turn ever...besides maybe Hogan going nWo.

Mr. Aristocrat
07-14-2006, 12:55 AM
Rikishi did it for The Rock.

But seriously nothing can ever beat the double turn of Austin and Hart. :drool:

Corndad
07-14-2006, 01:01 AM
I would say Austin "siding with Vince" at WM 17 was the biggest Heel turn,with Hogan joining NWO 2nd... both unexpected, but Hogan was atleast getting boos cause of his gimmick, while Austin was still top Babyface when he turned...

I also kinda like the way they turned Batista face last year, was really well done.

Anybody Thrilla
07-14-2006, 01:20 AM
Nobody will mention this, so I will...

Randy Orton's INITIAL heel turn was pretty well-executed. Going from the blue-chipper babyface with all the potential in the world, to an injury, to the injury update segments, and finally to Evolution...I was just waiting to hate the kid before he ever even showed up on Raw.

Fignuts
07-14-2006, 01:25 AM
That was good, but there are a lot better.

I will always remember that barbershop segment, not because of micheals' heel turn, but because of heenan.

"Look at that! Jannety jumped right through the window! What a coward!"

Oh lordy.

Anybody Thrilla
07-14-2006, 01:26 AM
"Look at that! Jannety jumped right through the window! What a coward!"

Probably my favorite line from a commentator ever.

Corndad
07-14-2006, 01:33 AM
I miss the Brain on commentary... Him and Monsoon were just it. Aside from maybe Monsoon and Jesse Ventura coming close, it really isn't close with any other pairing.

Mr. Aristocrat
07-14-2006, 01:39 AM
Early Lawler/Ross was great, but I agree undisputedly that Monsoon and Heenan will go down as the greatest ever.

And just so I can contribute some more, another great turn was Fonzy's turn from Barely Legal.

Gertner
07-14-2006, 01:47 AM
Matt Strikers heel turn on heat with shelton benjamin will go down in history

Mr. Aristocrat
07-14-2006, 01:50 AM
Tom Cruise pulled a decent heel turn, so good the entire Scientology Stable kinda turned with him.

LoDownM
07-14-2006, 01:53 AM
When Shawn Michaels threw Marty Jannetty through the Barber Shop window. Hands down, best heel turn ever...besides maybe Hogan going nWo.

:y:

Morgan
07-14-2006, 02:05 AM
Jericho's slow heel turn during the invasion.

The build-up to Batista turning face on Triple H.

I like the slow-turns better, and in the case of Batista it actually made it better having to wait for the trigger to be finally pulled.

James Steele
07-14-2006, 08:22 AM
Austin's heel turn at WrestleMania 17 for me is one that I will never forget.

Pinnacle Charisma
07-14-2006, 08:49 AM
I personally enjoyed Jericho's face turn agasnt Christian in the lead up to wm20. Fans have been wanting for Y2J to turn face for a while and during the Christain feud he was very entertaining before he got stale.

I too enjoyed Angles face turn earlier this year. It was well overdue since the fans have been cheering him for months before hand and it really gave Smackdown a boost.

Impeccable
07-14-2006, 09:10 AM
My top heel turns;

1) Shawn Michaels throwing Marty through a window.
2) Vince's swerve - Who is the greater power?

"IT WAS ME AUSTIN...IT WAS ME ALL ALONG!"
3) Hunters face then heel turn

At the time he was kind of feuding with the radicalz, and he came out early in the night with a DX reformation...the fans (and I) went nuts for it. Then later in the night, Austin had a match with Benoit, and was taking a beatdown when Hunter came out for the save...but ended up revealing he was the mysterious black glove...

4) Eddie Guerrero's first transition in WWE.

At the time, he was with Chyna...Mamacita...and she was the intercontinental champion...Eddie was jealous and halfway through a triple threat match, pretended to hug her after she'd been hurt and "inadvertently" pinned her. This was when I became an Eddie fan.

5) Hollywood Hulk Hogan's nWo heel turn

There are loads that have been done so brilliantly...

The problem with a face turn is it takes a lot longer to make a face. Sometimes the process is so gradual, you don't know it's happened till you stop and think...woah...I'm cheering for said person.

That usually happens when the fans get into the heels character.

Happened with Austin, The Rock, DX (original), Chris Jericho and more recently, John Cena (when he freestyled.)

Anybody Thrilla
07-14-2006, 11:32 AM
Jericho's slow heel turn during the invasion.

The build-up to Batista turning face on Triple H.

I like the slow-turns better, and in the case of Batista it actually made it better having to wait for the trigger to be finally pulled.

Speaking of Jericho and slow turns, I also enjoyed his initial heel turn back in WCW.

He'd lose a match one week then get a little frustrated. Then he'd lose a match the next week and get MORE frustrated. Then he'd lose a match the NEXT week and flip out and attack the ring announcer. Then he'd come out the next week and apologize to the ring announcer for his actions and buy him a new suit or something.

Eventually, he just kept flipping out and started the whole "CONSPIRACY VICTIM" spiel, started winning matches, and went on to become one of my favorite heel characters of all time.

KingofOldSchool
07-14-2006, 02:31 PM
Best Face Turns: (in no order)

1. Nikita Koloff siding with Dusty Rhodes after Magnum T.A.'s career ending accident.
2. Stone Cold's turn at Wrestlemania 13
3. Batista's face turn in 2005
4. Hart Foundation's turn on Jimmy Hart
5. Demolition's
6. The Undertaker's turn in '92
7. Macho Man's turn in '87

Heel Turns:

1. Paul Orndorff's turn on Hulk Hogan
2. The Horseman's turn on Sting
3. Shawn Michael's turn on Marty Jannetty
4. Triple H's turn on DX
5. Hulk Hogan's turn on WCW
6. Owen Hart's turn on Bret
7. Lex Luger's turn on Barry Windham

There are so many more I can mention, but those are the tops in my head.

darkpower
07-14-2006, 04:47 PM
One I remember from recently was Brock Lesner's heel turn leading up to Summerslam 03, where we were supposed to think that he was attacked, and we thought it would be Angle to side with McMahon, and suddenly, during a steel cage match between McMahon and Lesner, ref Angle put the ankle lock on McMahon when Lesner "fainted" and McMahon went to the pin, only to have Lesner kip up while Angle had the ankle lock on Mcmahon, his back turned, and F5ed him.

It was memorable because of how they did it (making us think that Angle would turn heel then just suddenly springing Lesner turning heel), but in the weeks after, we saw Spanky and, gasp, Zach Gowen committ blade jobs to put him over (the Gowen one is also the first time the WWE censored blood with that blurred camera shot for whatever reason).

But yeah, a more recent one (I tried to pick one that wasn't brought up yet) is the Lesner turn.

KingofOldSchool
07-14-2006, 04:51 PM
Yeah that was another excellent one.

Disturbed316
07-14-2006, 04:55 PM
Hogan's and HBK's were both totally out of the blue, which is probably what made them so awesome.

FourFifty
07-14-2006, 06:01 PM
When Shawn Michaels threw Marty Jannetty through the Barber Shop window. Hands down, best heel turn ever.

This heel turn means a lot to me. My twin brother and I thought wrestling was still real, and we both liked The Rockers. He liked Jannetty, I liked Michaels... Needless to say I still rub this in his face.

Chavo Classic
07-14-2006, 06:05 PM
the Gowen one is also the first time the WWE censored blood with that blurred camera shot for whatever reason.

It's because they can't show a handicapped person bleeding, or whatever.

I actually recall UK broadcasters blurring out X-pac's MASSIVE cut from Backlash 2004 (or 2005 maybe) when he got hit by a misplaced chair shot.

Disturbed316
07-14-2006, 06:10 PM
Channel 4 used to censor loads of stuff. I remember when Trish got powerbombed through the table at Backlash 2000, they stop it right before she went through, then continued after.

TWC blur out blood in TNA, and they use a huge circular blur which gets so annoying when all you can see is a grey circle taking a dropkick.

Chavo Classic
07-14-2006, 06:15 PM
TWC blur out blood in TNA, and they use a huge circular blur which gets so annoying when all you can see is a grey circle taking a dropkick.

You know, thats messed up. Although TWC blur out blood and fade the picture to black and white, there's another channel on Sky digital called Player that also shows TNA. I watched TNA Lockdown pretty much uncensored at 2pm last Saturday. Strange how that works, considering Sky Sports won't show any violence on Smackdown or Raw until 10pm onwards

FourFifty
07-14-2006, 06:19 PM
Undertaker's first face turn.
"Whose side are you on?"
"Not yours!"

PullMyFinger
07-14-2006, 11:02 PM
Monty Brown turning heel by doing the POOOOOOOOOOUNCE on DDP.

lol jk

Hogan turning heel - nWo.
Austin and Hart doing the double turn.

mrslackalack
07-14-2006, 11:16 PM
Tatanka joining the Millon Dollar Corporation at Summerslam 94 was an underated and shocking heel turn for me.

Innovator
07-14-2006, 11:18 PM
Face Turns
-CM Punk finally doing the right thing and coming to the aid of Ricky Steamboat, saving him from Generation Next.

-Austin Aries's slow face turn as champ

-Stone Cold at Mania 13

-Batista's

Heel Turns
-CM Punk turns his back on ROH after winning World Title. Fanboyism aside, it's the best turn ROH has ever done.

-Low Ki returning to ROH in 2004, sides with Rottweilers, starts using Double Stomp

-Hogan at BATB 96

-Shane heeling on Austin at KOTR 98, I just loved the visual...1-2-double bird

Ben Rodrigues
07-15-2006, 12:13 AM
I'm suprised no one mentioned The Rock heel turn at Survivor Series 1998.

OverTaker
07-15-2006, 12:26 AM
I'm suprised no one mentioned The Rock heel turn at Survivor Series 1998.

:y: Yeah, that was a good one. Totally slipped my mind. It's the booze.

D Mac
07-15-2006, 01:14 AM
DDP acting like he was going to join the NWO and then Diamond Cutters on Hall and Nash. I marked out like a bitch.

Anybody Thrilla
07-15-2006, 03:54 AM
Tatanka joining the Millon Dollar Corporation at Summerslam 94 was an underated and shocking heel turn for me.

Oh wow, I had almost forgotten about that. The whole time he was accusing Luger of joining the Corporation, but it turned out he was the rat all along.

That was fucking brilliant. One of the few times I was GENUINELY surprised. :y:

Doc Brown
07-15-2006, 04:43 PM
Scott Hall turnin on Nash, when the wolfpac had just been created, fuck what was the name of the PPV. Dusty Rhodes was with Hall...Bah, fat ass dusty rhodes.

Or Nash's Heel turn @ Starcade 99. Hall came in with the stun gun and ended goldbergs streak. I was in grade 8 sadly when that happened. Fuck, seemed way to long ago.

The MAC
07-15-2006, 05:07 PM
vince turning heel at SS97 - cmon people that was the best..second by Judas turning heel with a kiss