PDA

View Full Version : Cinema Annoyances

XL
07-20-2006, 10:44 AM
So I went to see Pirates of the Caribbean last night and, although I enjoyed the film, it was one of my worst trips to the cinema in ages...

Firstly the cinema was absolutely rammed which surprised me as the film had been out for a while. This meant we were forced to sit on the FRONT ROW!!

I always aim to sit in the middle seats of the middle rw, the last time I sat on the front row was when I went to see Beauty and the Beast!!

Watching the film was awful as I not only had to strain my neck backwards but was constantly having to turn it to see what was going on across the screen.

I don't understand why they put seats that close to the screen (well I do, pack em in, get the money) or why anyone would choose to sit that close!?

In addition to this I was annoyed by people laughing at some of the gags. Granted it was a fairly funny film, but hardly laugh out loud in so many places. I couldn't work out if it was just that I didn't find it as funny as some others did OR if they felt obliged to laugh as loud as possible!?

Which leads me to my annoyance of people laughing hysterically at gags they have seen at least 5 times in the trailer for the film, how is it STILL that funny?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So guys what annoys you at the cinema?

Stickman
07-20-2006, 12:18 PM
Sitting front row is the worst, I'd ask for a refund if I have to sit there again.

A few of my annoyances:

Sticky floor

The group of 5+ teens who don't shut the fuck up. IF you want to talk go to Starbucks. Especially during sappy movies or scary movies. During comedies and pointless movies, I can understand it, but if you're talking during a movie that you have to pay attention to I'm goign to throw my pop at you.

Price of tickets and food. Seriously I'd rather go watch amature sports because it's hella cheaper and probably better food.

I dunno about the rest of you, but around here before every movie they show this stupid clip to show the dolby surround sound. You know what, I don't care just start the movie.

Previews, good god, remember the days when there was no more than 3 previews. Wow, 20 minutes of previews and comercials. I usually forget what movie I came to see.

Naturally cell phones ringing. But also cell phones ringing and the person answering the phone right in the middle of the movie.

But what's worse than that? Having somebody sit in your row that has to piss 5 times in a 90 minute movie. I spend more time wondering when they'll have to get me to move next than I do watching the movie.

You konw what, I'm really wondering why I go to movies now.

ClockShot
07-20-2006, 01:57 PM
I'll play.

I prefer to go to the matinee shows. Sometimes I catch a big crowd and sometimes a small or I get the theatre to myself. Here's my rant:

Cell phones- My theatre shows different screens during the show. One is turn them off. The chicks that sit in front of me either text their friends during the show or just not pay attention to the movie.

Rookie Critics- I want to enjoy my movie. I'll read Ebert and Roeper's take when I get out. Don't yell out what's good and bad when you're two rows away from me.

KIDS- The most recent movie I got stuck with them was Eight Below. It could have been great if I didn't hear kids crying *spoilers in black if anybody didn't see it:* start when a dog died each time end. I had to go and rent it to get the true experience.

Previews- If the newspapers says the movie starts at 12:15 it SHOULD START at 12:15. Not start the previews at that time. Some theates have a good 10-15 minutes of them, some have less.

There is another annoyance I have. But I bet a large portion of you have not encountered it yet. Anybody wanna take a guess?

That's my list.

Stickman
07-20-2006, 02:55 PM
One other thing that pisses me off is parents who bring their little kids to movies they shouldn't see. Don't bring your kid to Rated R movies or movies that will have swearing or nudity. They won't get the movie anyways so bringing kids to a movie with swearing and nudity that's all they will remember.

loopydate
07-20-2006, 03:31 PM
- Don't bring your babies to action movies! I don't care what it's rated, action movies are loud, and babies get scared by sudden loud noises. When babies get scared, they cry. When babies cry, it ruins the theater-going experience for the rest of us.

- Cell phones. I don't mind it so much if you're texting, because at least that's quiet. But the fact that you need to answer your phone to tell your friend that you're at a movie and you'll call them back is asinine. Turn your phone off before you even walk into the building. They'll go to voicemail and assume you're too busy to talk. Saves you the trouble of telling them and saves me the trouble of getting my fist out of your throat.

- If your kid is too young (or your grandparent too old) to read, they're too young (or old) to go to the movies. If you have to read the on-screen information OUT LOUD to them, they shouldn't be there.

- It's okay to comment on trailers. I have no problem with leaning over to tell your friend "I want to see that" or "That looks stupid" or "I love that writer" or whatever. But that is when the talking stops. During the movie, you can laugh at the jokes, cry at the sad parts, gasp at the scary parts, but DO NOT TALK. If you can whisper, that's fine, but I've found that most people are incapable of communicating at a decibel lower than stage whisper.

- Don't cheer or applaud. They can't hear you.

- If you're attending a movie on opening night that is expected to do very well, sit as close to the middle of the aisle as you can. I HATE that people will come into a show that they KNOW is going to sell out, but they sit their fat ass down in the very first seat in the row, so everyone who wants to sit in that row has to climb over them.

- Never ever ever ever ever ever EVER speak to your friends about upcoming plot twists, no matter how many times you've seen the movie. I couldn't tell you how many times I've had the ending of a movie ruined for me by people who are seeing it for the fourth time who don't have the courtesy to keep their damn spoilers to themselves.

D Mac
07-20-2006, 03:44 PM
Broken theatre chairs. :mad:

PapaGeorgio
07-20-2006, 04:18 PM
Agree with most of them. One that I somewhat disagree with is don't cheer or applaud. When I went to see X-men 3 at a midnight showing, some of the fun was cheering to certain parts with true fans. Any other time I would agree.

For my own problems, mainly old people and young kids. When I'm away at school I usually go to movies around 3pm when its cheaper. Everyone there is over 50 besides me. The old people are so loud with either talking or eating. I hate the boxes of candy they sell. They always make so much noise.

loopydate
07-20-2006, 04:43 PM
I suppose an exception should be made for midnight shows, since those are the die-hard fans.

I was talking more about going to an 8:00 show on a Sunday two weeks after a movie opens, and people are still clapping when the bad guy gets killed or whatever.

But that's a good point. I wasn't thinking along those lines.

Disturbed316
07-20-2006, 05:10 PM
I've only ever sat in the front row at the cinema and that was when I saw Death Becomes Her.

People who talk annoy me, especially little kids and those people who kick the seats.

I've only ever experienced applauding a film once, and that was when I saw Freddy vs Jason. The crowd were mostly Freddy or Jason nerds, so I could understand that somewhat.

I was actually at the cinema today (saw The Break Up, was ok) and some dude with a big afro came and sat in front of me. As soon as I saw him come in I knew he was gonna sit infront of me and just laughed when he sat down. Luckly it was pretty quiet so I could move seats.

Shaggy
07-21-2006, 12:02 PM
Ive sat in the front row a few times.....midnight showing of Pirates....Star Wars Episode 2 (granted it was the 3rd time seeing it)....Shark Tales.....Incredibles....

The only problems I have in theaters are those people who usually behind you who during the movie usually say things like "Oh Shit...that was bad ass"...."Damn shes hot Id love to bend her over"...and crap like that...if you are gonna talk to your friend next to you then do it low enough for you and only him to hear it...not the five rows around you

Kane Knight
07-21-2006, 12:09 PM
One other thing that pisses me off is parents who bring their little kids to movies they shouldn't see. Don't bring your kid to Rated R movies or movies that will have swearing or nudity. They won't get the movie anyways so bringing kids to a movie with swearing and nudity that's all they will remember.

Word. And when people bring their kids to an R rated movie, or little kids to a PG13, and then complain about the content.

I JUST BROUGHT MY SON TO SEE FACES OF DEATH I DONT KNOW WHY THERE IS SO MUCH VIOLENCE IN THIS MOVIE

Others:

People who applaud everything in a movie. For example, Pirates, as the original post is about. The retards in my theater cheered and applauded everything in the fucking movie.

People who talk through the movie, then when you turn to your friend/date and say something, they're immediately like "GAWD! SHUT UP!"

People who yell at you for talking when you're not. There were some gabby teens next to me at Brotherhood of the Wolf, but the guy who turned around and yelled at someone was yelling at me, whose lips were not moving even thought the talking was still going on.

Stickman
07-21-2006, 12:31 PM
As for kicking my seat. I understand if you accidently hit the seat, I have long legs so I've done it a few times, but for crying out loud, don't put your fucking feet on the top of my seat or my arm rest. I'm going to elbow the shit out of your foot.

Similar story, on a side note. I was on an airplane for 5 hours. Every twenty minutes or so the guy behind me, with his shoes off, put his foot right on my arm rest. Naturally I elbowed it once and everytime he moved his foot. Well about 3 hours in I was sleeping away when i feel this foot touching my bare arm. So I woke up and gave it an elbow, it didn't move. By this time I was pissed so I started to throw elbows on that foot that Tito Ortiz would be proud of. The guy had the gaul to get pissed off at me. I've never been so tempted to start a fight but I didn't really want to get arrested when the plane landed. I think the guy got the point though, he was limping pretty good off the plane.

The Naitch
07-21-2006, 03:34 PM
lol I remember me and two buddies sparked up some cigarettes when we watching Unbreakable

Kalyx triaD
07-23-2006, 10:23 PM
Crying babies are one thing...

But parents, usually stupid-ass single young mothers who refuse to accept the end of their night life, who pretend nobody hears her infant bawling for 17mins is another! Some random dude verbally chewed her out and he recieved a round of applause when she finally left.

That dude ruled.

And your girl/sister/female cousin who ask stupid questions about the plot when you're seeing it for the first time with them. Sorry, it just seems like a girl thing.

Cell phones suck; even more so when the ring tone is some rediculously loud MP3 of some ghetto shit. They have to let it ring atleast twice, so everyone could know their phone has MP3 playback. And as mentioned, they answer the shit.

"I'm in the movie theater. Yeah. And..?"

Never, "Call me back."

Esoteric
07-23-2006, 11:37 PM
after all of the kids, sticky floors and messed up seats the one thing that pisses me off most about movie theaters has to be the previews. There are some that are cool like the movie trivia, but for the most part they drag on forever and the one thing that pisses me off most is when the preview is over and its kind of quiet there is one guy that always whispers too loud,"WOW THAT LOOKS GOOD."

loopydate
07-24-2006, 01:17 PM
Am I the only one who actually likes previews? Granted, there are too many of them, but a lot of times movies that don't interest me when I read about them actually look worth watching when I see the trailer.

"Inside Man" was a pretty good recent example of that.

Kane Knight
07-24-2006, 01:40 PM
Am I the only one who actually likes previews? Granted, there are too many of them, but a lot of times movies that don't interest me when I read about them actually look worth watching when I see the trailer.

"Inside Man" was a pretty good recent example of that.

I wouldn't mind them so much if I didn't pay like 12 bucks, then have to sit through 4 Pepsi ads, 3 TV trailers, and then 8 movie ads, 3 of which I might like.

NoJabbaNoBogRoll
07-24-2006, 01:40 PM
The previews seem to give away the entire plot, so I've never seen a film based on a preview.

EXAMPLE:

Jim thought he had it all, but somebody took it all away...

*Clip of his wife being shot*

Jim: 'I'm gonna get the bastard that killed you.'

*Clip of some guy warning Jim not to go after the man*

*Scene of Jim staring down the man*

Jim: 'You killed my wife.'

Dude: 'Oh... Did I?'

*Clip of Jim's 'dead' wife walking out from behind other man*

*Jim looking shocked*

This is the part where you think the preview has ended, because if there's more to the story, you don't wanna know about it yet... BUT NO!

*Clip of Jim shooting his wife and the other dude*

*Clip of Jim being arrested and going to jail*

Lawyer: 'Don't worry, I'll get you off.'

*Clip of Jim in court*

Jury: 'We find the defendant... GUILTY.'

*Jim looks sad, as he's taken away*

*Clip of the electric chair as he's being led to it*

*Jim on the electric chair*

Okay, now seriously, end the preview now. Leave this hanging at least... HELL NO!

*Guy switching on the chair*

*Jim's family crying*

*Jim slumps in the seat, dead*

Seriously, why do they feel the need to give away all the plot twists pretty much right to the end of the movie?

Gertner
07-24-2006, 02:23 PM
people who applaud, children in general, when the movie theater is 20 below 0

Disturbed316
07-24-2006, 02:57 PM
Sticky floors also annoy the piss out of me. Saw Pirates today and the floor was so sticky that everytime I moved my feet, all you could hear was the ripping noise you get from it.

Fox
07-24-2006, 03:40 PM
After a preview, the date comes up:

ONLY IN THEATERS: JULY 25th, 2006

Someone in the back: "That's my birthday!"

stfu.

Blitz
07-24-2006, 04:58 PM
Trailers are awesome.

XL
07-24-2006, 05:51 PM
Don't worry Loopy I too enjoy previews!

Here's another trip that pissed me off...

when I approached the pay kiosk I read a sign that said "Please purchase your tickets from the consessions stand", so I thought "Thats cool, kinda makes sense really, it'll make things quicker"

So when I got to the food counter I asked the girl for "2 tickets...2 ice blasts...a hotdog", she cut me off and said "You have to pay for tickets seperately"

HOW DOES THAT MAKE SENSE?

And she was a dumb, slow bitch!

FakeLaser
07-24-2006, 06:02 PM
After a preview, the date comes up:

ONLY IN THEATERS: JULY 25th, 2006

Someone in the back: "That's my birthday!"

stfu.
Nothing wrong with commenting on the trailers. That's one of the best part of going to the movies.

Requiem
07-28-2006, 04:04 AM
Not neccesarily something that happens to me in the theatre, but when I'm watching a movie with friends I absolutely fucking hate when someone just starts criticizing the movie while it's happening. Especially when it's at a part that doesn't even deserve to be criticized.

For instance, movies which require paying attention due to an in-depth plot. Someone there ends up not understanding it, while the others do.. but that person has to start talking bad about the movie because they didn't understand it or thought it was dumb. Then the person hates the entire movie because of one scene. This happened a while back while watching Domino with some friends.. By no means movie of the year, but it wasn't a terrible movie. One person didn't like a scene and started talking bad about the movie through the rest of it.