PDA

View Full Version : The Descent

The Greater Power
08-05-2006, 01:25 AM
Um, wow, this movie was fucking awesome to watch.

If you are a horror/gore fan, this is a must see. It has an "indy" feel to it a little bit (probably because it's foreign...I dunno), kinda like Wolf Creek. Only this one is miles better than Wolf Creek.

It's basically about them going down into some caves just for fun, when they soon realize that they aren't the only ones down there. That's all I'm gonna say, the story goes much deeper.

This one also has tons of "jumpy" scenes. This dude almost flew out of his seat during one part.

I'm not saying this means anything to anyone, but a writer from RogerEbert.com gave it the full four stars.

TONS of gore.

Boondock Saint
08-05-2006, 01:40 AM
Sweet. I've been looking forward to it and was awaiting the US release. I've heard great things.

The director's previous film, Dog Soldiers, is supposed to be pretty awesome too.

Bricktop
08-05-2006, 02:06 AM
the best horror movie i've seen in years. to bad they changed the ending to make it more US friendly and it took them almost a year to import it. I have the DVD from england already.

Champion of Europa
08-05-2006, 04:06 AM
It was brutal. I loved it. I could have dealt with a few less characters, or I would have liked if they were more distinguishable when they were in the cave, but that's about all I would change.

Rammsteinmad
08-05-2006, 06:30 AM
It was alright. I go into every film with low expectations, but I kinda enjoyed it, though nothing brilliant.

I may have seen some kinda different version than you because I don't recall "Tons of gore". Seemed pretty average stuff to me.

The Greater Power
08-05-2006, 11:02 AM
I'm just saying it was quite gory.

BTW, for those of you who haven't seen it yet, there is a SAW III preview before the movie.

Yeah, I read about the UK ending and liked it a bit better, but I still had no problem with the one I saw.

Mr. Nerfect
08-06-2006, 12:27 AM
I have read so many positive reviews on it. Sounds like a "smart" horror film, which I am 100% OK with, because I hate watching "scary" movies where people do stupid things I would never do in their situation. It's why I hate Wolf Creek and all those stupid torture movies with no talent behind them what-so-ever. It takes a pretty good writer to actually have his characters develop whilst being hacked to pieces.

Blitz
08-06-2006, 12:34 AM
Currently downloading.

Champion of Europa
08-06-2006, 01:41 AM
It's not the same if you download it. You've gotta get at least one theatrical screening under your belt. It's great with the dark theater and the surround sound.

Blitz
08-06-2006, 01:42 AM
All I can do right now.

Cuzziebro
08-06-2006, 07:20 AM
I thought this movie was boring. The ending was the worst ending I have ever encountered. It was gory and it was entertaining at certain times but overall I thought it was very crap.

Skippord
08-06-2006, 07:36 AM
Saw III eh?

Bricktop
08-06-2006, 12:29 PM
I thought this movie was boring. The ending was the worst ending I have ever encountered. It was gory and it was entertaining at certain times but overall I thought it was very crap.

Sounds like you saw the US cut ending. There is about a minute and a half missing from that ending.

Blitz
08-06-2006, 06:41 PM
I thought it was damn good. Nice and gory, and it gives off quite a sense of claustrophobia.

Also (spoiler-I really liked the way that they established that Juno was having an affair with Sarah's husband. Really subtly done.)

Downunder
08-07-2006, 01:18 AM
I'm d/l the UK version as we speak - I liked Dog Soliders, so I'm looking foward to this.

Blitz
08-07-2006, 01:32 AM
Yeah I also, got the UK version.

I believe the only change is to the ending.

Fox
08-07-2006, 09:07 PM
What's the change?

Blitz
08-07-2006, 10:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mcKHtY6eE0

British ending.

Mr. Nerfect
08-10-2006, 06:36 AM
Hopefully this movie puts pressure on other useless horror hacks to step up their game and prove that they might be worth the money they earn.

Mr. Nerfect
08-10-2006, 06:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mcKHtY6eE0

British ending.

This movie looks really well put together. I must see it.

Jaded-Dragon
08-10-2006, 10:16 PM
Ok, what's the American ending? I have had the UK version for a couple of months and haveno plans to see the American version.

Blitz
08-10-2006, 10:18 PM
I believe the American ending stops immediately after (spoiler- Sarah sees Juno in the car. We don't see her wake up in the cave.)

Jaded-Dragon
08-10-2006, 10:22 PM
Nvm, just found a description of it. Sounds pretty lame.

Edit:

Yeah, that's what I hear. I can't believe they would cut the movie off right there. If I saw that version first in the theater, I would of said it was a bad movie.

Downunder
09-05-2006, 11:53 PM
I've just finished watching it - bloody good movie. I'm glad I saw the real full length version, cutting the last part off the movie would have ruined it completely.