PDA

View Full Version : Pick 1

Kane Knight
08-10-2006, 12:29 AM
Poll coming. If you could only pick one of the next gen systems, which would you want to have? Vote for that one.

Drakul
08-10-2006, 12:32 AM
The Wii for me.

it's cheaper and has alot of games I'm very interested in. Ontop of that it has that Virtual console which means I can play my old Nes/Snes/N64 games without digging in endless boxes.

Kane Knight
08-10-2006, 12:35 AM
Wii is a second choice for me, it'd be a first choice if they weren't so busy blowing smoke up my ass over their "innovation," And once again relying on a back catalogue.

Drakul
08-10-2006, 12:42 AM
Well you can use a gamecube controller with the Wii so I wouldn't be surprised if no one ever uses the "Wii-mote" unless totally nessecery (sucky spelling) to the game.

Kane Knight
08-10-2006, 12:44 AM
That's the problem. They're launching this as a major focus of the system. I know some games like SSBM will work with the GCN pad, but I don't think optional support for regular gameplay really will do it for me.

Drakul
08-10-2006, 12:52 AM
Well they have to make people feel "safe". Alot of people seem to hate new things so telling them they can always use the traditional two handed style controller rather than the new motion sensor remote if they want might save them a few sales.

Some say Nintendo are doing all this because there on there way out so they see no harm in trying all these strange things like the DS or Wii. I don't know how likely that is though.

Blitz
08-10-2006, 12:55 AM
PS3.

For GTA, Metal Gear, Smackdown, God Of War, Final Fantas, etc.

Drakul
08-10-2006, 12:57 AM
What exactly can they do with another GTA? I've got every console GTA and I really can't see where they can go with it now. :-\

Blitz
08-10-2006, 01:00 AM
What, do you want it to switch over to an FPS or something?

It's GTA. The gameplay will stay mostly the same, but the world will get bigger and more involved. I'm fine with that.

Drakul
08-10-2006, 01:09 AM
You seem offended by my post.
I didn't say it wasn't going to be good. I just said I couldn't see what they could do.

GTA usually tries to bring at least one new thing with each game.

GTA2 had the gang system, GTA3 was 3D, VC had Motorbikes and helicopters and SA had customizable cars and characters.

Blitz
08-10-2006, 01:25 AM
Even if it was the exact same gameplay as San Andreas, just with a different story and setting, I'd buy it.

Drakul
08-10-2006, 01:29 AM
They should have the game area entirely random generated. Key spots can probably stay where they need to be for missions etc but still it would be fun having a city/state unique to your game.

road doggy dogg
08-10-2006, 02:05 AM
Wii easily

Joey Slugs
08-10-2006, 02:07 AM
360 right now...

but if i get the DS lite, i might be moving towards the Wii

Skippord
08-10-2006, 05:29 AM
PS3

Just John
08-10-2006, 09:06 AM
PS3

Its a shame that so much about it confuses me, I'm all about GTA4, MGS4, GT5, Tekken 6 etc.

Kane Knight
08-10-2006, 09:19 AM
PS3.

For GTA, Metal Gear, Smackdown, God Of War, Final Fantas, etc.

Aren't half of those already announced for 360?

Just John
08-10-2006, 09:26 AM
GTA has been, but mark my words...

It wont be for long, when Blu ray outruns whateer the 360 has, Xbox will either get no GTA or a 'diet' GTA thats one of the reasons I think microsoft is getting it the same time as PS3 and is getting episodic content

Shaved Monkey
08-10-2006, 11:02 AM
What exactly can they do with another GTA? I've got every console GTA and I really can't see where they can go with it now. :-\

GTA Earth.:drool:

Kane Knight
08-10-2006, 11:19 AM
GTA has been, but mark my words...

It wont be for long, when Blu ray outruns whateer the 360 has, Xbox will either get no GTA or a 'diet' GTA thats one of the reasons I think microsoft is getting it the same time as PS3 and is getting episodic content

Blu Ray isn't going to outrun HD-DVD, the format to which 360 will expand. In fact, it'll be lucky to be a selling point instead of a warning. Blu Ray means more disc errors in manufacturing, means lower profits, offers little reward (Already Toshiba's got a 3 Layer disc that holds about as much as Blu-Ray), and has less actual market support. Several major movie studios don't support Blu-Ray.

Don't be foolish. The only reason there will be extra content on a PS3 version is if Rockstar decides to do so. HD will be standard in a couple of years, available on the 360 this fall, and will render all capacity issues moot by the time any developer comes even close to using more than would be needed for the 360.

Seriously, if all you're telling me to mark your words on are promises as impotent as a Democrat's plans for reform, don't bother.

CSL
08-10-2006, 11:34 AM
<font color=white>PS3, not even close.</font>

loopydate
08-10-2006, 11:52 AM
Kinda leaning towards 360. The Wii looks great, but I want to be able to play SmackDown and GTA. So that narrows it down to PS3 and 360. The 360 is less expensive, plus it will have Halo and Perfect Dark as well.

DS
08-10-2006, 12:21 PM
Blu Ray isn't going to outrun HD-DVD, the format to which 360 will expand. In fact, it'll be lucky to be a selling point instead of a warning. Blu Ray means more disc errors in manufacturing, means lower profits, offers little reward (Already Toshiba's got a 3 Layer disc that holds about as much as Blu-Ray), and has less actual market support. Several major movie studios don't support Blu-Ray.

Don't be foolish. The only reason there will be extra content on a PS3 version is if Rockstar decides to do so. HD will be standard in a couple of years, available on the 360 this fall, and will render all capacity issues moot by the time any developer comes even close to using more than would be needed for the 360.

Seriously, if all you're telling me to mark your words on are promises as impotent as a Democrat's plans for reform, don't bother.
I have nothing against you trying to make points, I'm just not sure where you get your information sometimes. While Paramount, Universal, and Warner Bros support HD-DVD, Lion’s Gate, MGM, Paramount, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, Twentieth Century Fox, Walt Disney Pictures and Television and Warner Bros all support Blu-ray. Not to mention industry support from companies like Apple, Dell, Hitachi, LG Electronics, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Pioneer, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, TDK, and Thomson compared to HD-DVDs Toshiba, Memory Tech, Microsoft, and Intel.

A single layer Blu-ray disc holds 25GB while a dual layer disc, which is already working, holds 50GB which is 5GB more than the triple layer HD-DVD disc. Sony has even gone as far as doing lab work on 4 layer Blu-rays that hold 100GB and even a 200GB disc. Their hybrid discs also work on a single side, unlike HD-DVDs where you must flip the disc over for the extra storage. Along with Blu-rays nearly scratch resistant surface, it can take punishment too.

While I will admit there are flaws, including price, there are plenty on both sides. I'm not trying to say that you don't have arguments, but I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as you think it is.

El Fangel
08-10-2006, 01:28 PM
PS3.

For GTA, Metal Gear, Smackdown, God Of War, Final Fantasy, etc.

Makes me wonder if I have a dual-personality and Blitz is my alter-ego.

El Fangel
08-10-2006, 01:32 PM
PS3

Its a shame that so much about it confuses me, I'm all about GTA4, MGS4, GT5, Tekken 6 etc.

Just a quick note, GTA4 is already out , it's called Vice City, GTA5 is San Andreas. And if Grand Theft Auto: London 1969 is a GTA game bump it up by one. But if you mean that they make a GTA4, as the next part of the series after GTA 1,2,3 and you are not counting VC, or SA. Then sorry to have bothered you.

El Fangel
08-10-2006, 01:35 PM
GTA usually tries to bring at least one new thing with each game.

GTA2 had the gang system, GTA3 was 3D, VC had Motorbikes and helicopters and SA had customizable cars and characters.

Also San Andreas making water not be Molten Lava?

Kane Knight
08-10-2006, 02:05 PM
A single layer Blu-ray disc holds 25GB while a dual layer disc, which is already working, holds 50GB which is 5GB more than the triple layer HD-DVD disc. Sony has even gone as far as doing lab work on 4 layer Blu-rays that hold 100GB and even a 200GB disc. Their hybrid discs also work on a single side, unlike HD-DVDs where you must flip the disc over for the extra storage. Along with Blu-rays nearly scratch resistant surface, it can take punishment too.

Yes, you can go up to 8 layers with Blu-Ray, and with the closer-to the surface data, it's easier to get a corrupted disc, and if you get a scratch, it's more likely to cause a real problem.

More storage =/= better automatically.

For your first point about movie houses, it's worth pointing out that most of the support BR had has been lost due to the factors I've listed. Microsoft was going to go Blu Ray, for example.

While I will admit there are flaws, including price, there are plenty on both sides. I'm not trying to say that you don't have arguments, but I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as you think it is.

But your point was that Blu-Ray was going to dominate. So I argued with the fact that it won't, and the market will probably go HD DVD. And like a total idiot, you take your point of "when Blu Ray wins" and turn it into "yeah, well they both have flaws." It's a non-sequiter. You argued the dominance. You insisted that, "when Blu ray outruns whateer(sic) the 360 has, Xbox will either get no GTA or a 'diet' GTA[....]"

Suddenly, your assertion of an assured victory (Which is why you're going PS3) has turned into "they both have flaws." Well hello thar, Captain Obvious...Not exactly the point, though, is it? The argument was that Blu Ray was going to outrun the competition, so that the titles would go exclusively PS3 or get watered down for XBox, which simply will not happen within this generation of games. I argued that HD DVD was a competitive format, and would not be easily beaten, arguing both the merits of it, and the flaws of the Blu Ray system, which will also affect sales.

Most importantly to your argument that they both have flaws, it doesn't change the fact that HD-DVD has a lot going for it. What's it called? Brand name recognition. There'sa reason the Game Boy Advance continued to outself the PSP AND the DS for so long, and this is going to be a huge boon to Toshiba's disc.

Yes, they both have flaws. But the selling points of the HD format well outweigh the selling points of the BR format, with the exception of computer applications, which will have about as much affect on gaming and video industry as VoIP does.

D Mac
08-10-2006, 02:08 PM
Well since I already broke down and bought it, 360.

D Mac
08-10-2006, 02:09 PM
Eh I hit the wrong one

Blitz
08-10-2006, 02:20 PM
Aren't half of those already announced for 360?
Yes.

But I want it for the half that aren't.

D Mac
08-10-2006, 02:36 PM
I could care less about God of War and Metal Gear TBH. As long as Resident Evil 5 and SDVR and GTA are coming for Box, I'll stick with that.

D Mac
08-10-2006, 02:37 PM
Next year's tax refund will probably go towards a PS3 tho. It should well be in stores by then.

ClockShot
08-10-2006, 02:48 PM
PS3.

With the news they will produce a memory card of somesorts to transfer all of your PS2 saves to the PS3. The one thing the boys at Microsoft really fucked themselves on.

My brother will be purchasing the Wii. The only thing about that is the controller. There's the main part, and an attachment to make some sort of Nunchaku controller to whip around.

DS
08-10-2006, 03:26 PM
But your point was that Blu-Ray was going to dominate.
I wasn't arguing that Blu-ray was going to be dominate, I was counter-pointing your arguments. The only reason I said they both had flaws, was to try and make it understandable that I know where you are coming from and to not get you all bent out of shape. I guess I failed.

I chose the PS3 for pretty much every reason other than Blu-ray.

So a simpler counter argument:
There isn't a greater risk because of the surface area. The blue lasers are conditioned to print the data fine. And Blu-ray has a polymer finish that makes it extremely impossible to scratch the disk.

I'm not saying HD-DVD isn't a good choice, I'm not saying it will fail, I'm not saying it will be beaten. Same goes for Blu-ray. I'm saying that your arguments are flawed. It could go either way or they could both succeed.

D Mac
08-10-2006, 03:30 PM
Oh boy here we go.

Blitz
08-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Just a quick note, GTA4 is already out , it's called Vice City, GTA5 is San Andreas. And if Grand Theft Auto: London 1969 is a GTA game bump it up by one. But if you mean that they make a GTA4, as the next part of the series after GTA 1,2,3 and you are not counting VC, or SA. Then sorry to have bothered you.
VC and SA are prequels, since they take place before GTA3. The next one will be GTA4.

Blitz
08-10-2006, 03:38 PM
And where on earth did DS say Blu Ray was gonna "dominate" and that PS3 was "assured victory"?

Joey Slugs
08-10-2006, 03:58 PM
And where on earth did DS say Blu Ray was gonna "dominate" and that PS3 was "assured victory"?

just john said it.

Just John
08-10-2006, 05:05 PM
Woah, dont blame me

Kane Knight
08-10-2006, 08:27 PM
Yes.

But I want it for the half that aren't.

Why announce the other half then?

Blitz
08-10-2006, 08:33 PM
Because they are also part of the reason I want the system.

Blitz
08-10-2006, 08:35 PM
Are you arguing with just john or DS?

Because you're quoting DS, but talking to just john.

Kane Knight
08-10-2006, 08:47 PM
I wasn't arguing that Blu-ray was going to be dominate, I was counter-pointing your arguments.

Which did not come out of a vaccuum; they were only in rebuttal to John's "Once they outrun the competition..."

The only reason I said they both had flaws, was to try and make it understandable that I know where you are coming from and to not get you all bent out of shape. I guess I failed.

Yes. I disagree, so I'm bent out of shape. Slightly retarded, but okay. NOW IM MAD RARR.

You've made yoru strawman argument, which really doesn't change my argument anyway.

I chose the PS3 for pretty much every reason other than Blu-ray.

Good for you.

So a simpler counter argument:
There isn't a greater risk because of the surface area. The blue lasers are conditioned to print the data fine. And Blu-ray has a polymer finish that makes it extremely impossible to scratch the disk.

Errr...No. They used to claim that about CDs and DVDs. Wow, that worked out well.

I'm not saying HD-DVD isn't a good choice, I'm not saying it will fail, I'm not saying it will be beaten. Same goes for Blu-ray. I'm saying that your arguments are flawed. It could go either way or they could both succeed.

Ummm, this was my argument:

JJ: Once Blu Ray outruns the competition...
KK: It won't.

Woah. You totally nailed me. In pointing out that his clear decision based on the notion that Blu-Ray would relagate the 360 to Lite titles or loss of franchise, I provided a flawed argument that you sure counterpointed by (If what you're claiming is true) essentially arguing the same thing. I think factors favor the HD-DVD format, but for all the things it has going for it, I do not consider this a knockout blow, nor was this my initial argument.

Yes, my second post addressed you as though you were JJ. Apologies, but it seemed about as well-thought out as John's. Especially since a quick googling of Blu-Ray support annihilated a decent chunk of your list of movie companies supporting Blu-Ray, but I'm not telling you anything someone informed probably already knows.

You drew inference that I was taking a point I was not taking, and I counter-argued. For that, I'm evidently bent out of shape. But whatever. Since apparently we agree, and you were just retarded enough to think that arguing against someone who insisted that Blu-Ray was going to dominate by throwing up selling points of the other side, meant I was biased, then I really have fuck all left to argue about. Unless you would like me to play Devil's Advocate. Or maybe I could bend myself further out of shape.

Kane Knight
08-10-2006, 08:48 PM
Woah, dont blame me

Why not?

DS
08-10-2006, 09:05 PM
Sometimes I have a hard time understanding what you are arguing.

He may be wrong but not for any of the reasons you stated. You can either pay $199 for an HD-DVD add-on for HD-DVD movies (which is cheaper than other players) or you can pay the same price it would be for the 360 + add-on and get the PS3 which plays Blu-ray movies and games. He very well could be right.

Kane Knight
08-10-2006, 09:21 PM
Sometimes I have a hard time understanding what you are arguing.

He may be wrong but not for any of the reasons you stated. You can either pay $199 for an HD-DVD add-on for HD-DVD movies (which is cheaper than other players) or you can pay the same price it would be for the 360 + add-on and get the PS3 which plays Blu-ray movies and games. He very well could be right.

The reasons I stated are going to be factors, as will others. I did not offer a complete list, as I was neither trying to argue the superiority of one over the other nor illustrate a complete comparison between the two. Your price argument is extremely limited, and seems a bit odd to be brought up when you're saying reasons like market recognition might not be factors.

DS
08-10-2006, 09:30 PM
If the HD-DVD add-on was able to play HD-DVD games I would have said nothing about your post. I'm not saying he is right, but you seemed so certain that Blu-ray wasn't going to outrun HD-DVD that you seemed to be saying that you thought that HD-DVD was going to be the "victor".

Kane Knight
08-10-2006, 09:42 PM
Bloody Hell. I was under the impression that it would be viable for games.

My bad.

Bad Company
08-10-2006, 10:58 PM
360 for me thankyou

Dorkchop
08-11-2006, 10:45 AM
Wii.... at first. I'm more interested in it. Some games coming out for it sound really fun. Some of me does wish that Nintendo would focus more on traditional gaming rather than being different. Knowing that not every single game will use the Wii-mote was another small deciding factor. I know most will, but I could not imagine playing Super Smash Bros with that crazy device. Wii just sounds like it's going to be all kinds of fun.

I'm also getting a Wii for multiplayer gaming. I have a PS2, but ever since I got it, I've only got to play it with someone else a handfull of times. With a Wii I could play with my girlfriend and her sister... or just her sister. When they're both over here, the only game for PS2 that they want to play is Katamari. I'll pick up a Wii knowing for sure I'll have a coupke of people to play with against. Games like Mario tennis are mad fun, but made for multiplayer. Playing solo isn't nearly as fun.

I'd like to get a PS3 as well, but I have to wait for a price drop, and more games I'd really want to play that are Playstation specific. Some games that used to be only on Playstation are also going to be on Xbox 360. When I think of Xbox, I think of sports and driving games. It seemed to me that Playstation had more variety of different games that interested me. Now 360 is sounding pretty good, with many different games. Dead Rising is looking and sounding pretty sick. Right now I want to lean more towards a PS3, but can't really because there really isn't much of a difference between the two right now.

I got a PS2 mainly for Smackdown and GTA, but now both series are for both consoles. Most games I have for PS2 are out for all the consoles (Ar ot least 2) like X-Men Legends, Burnout, Hulk Ultimate Destruction. I heard the Katamari series is donw, which is sad, but a Katamari for PS3 could make me want one over an Xbox 360.

I'd like to own both and get the best of both types of gaming, but I won't be able to afford a PS3 anytime soon. So to make my rambling short: Wii, then maybe in a year which ever console has better games.

Just John
08-11-2006, 11:02 AM
Why not?

Because you touch yourself at night!

Just John
08-11-2006, 11:02 AM
Yesssssssss. one up to just john