PDA

View Full Version : Christian vs. WWE; "Captain Charisma" on a pole match

Innovator
08-17-2006, 05:51 PM
Credit: PWInsider.com

As mentioned on PWInsider.com earlier this week (http://www.pwinsider.com/elite/ViewArticle.asp?id=19744&p=1), WWE and Christian Cage could very well end up in court over who has the rights to the name "Captain Charisma".

According to papers filed with the United States Patent and Trademark Office, WWE is opposing William Reso's (Christian's) applications to trademark the name "Captain Charisma" for "goods and services relating to professional wrestling".

WWE's claims is that their contract with Christian included a stipulation that, with the exception of what was agreed upon as being "Old Intellectual Property", that any ring name or nickname used by the wrestler during the time Christian was under contract is the property of WWE. Captain Charisma, which first came into use while he was under a WWE deal, is not listed as "Old Intellectual Property" according to WWE.

WWE also states that the agreement with Christian included the stipulation that any ring name or nickname used while he was under contract is owned in "perpetuity" by WWE, even once Christian's contract with WWE expired.

WWE is claiming to be the rightful owner of the "Captain Charisma" mark, and that Christian's attempts to trademark it will cause "confusion in the marketplace" and that WWE will suffer damages if he is allowed to trademark it.

According to a document mailed out on August 10th, Christian has forty days from that date to respond to WWE's opposition of his attempting to trademark the name.

Steve The Pirate
08-17-2006, 05:54 PM
I guess Christian really won't be back soon..:'(

ClockShot
08-17-2006, 06:00 PM
I tend to think that after a long time, WWE will seem to forget about trademarks and the wrestlers can go in and grab them. Will Reso should have held out a little longer.

Arnold HamNegger
08-17-2006, 06:01 PM
WWE is claiming to be the rightful owner of the "Captain Charisma" mark, and that Christian's attempts to trademark it will cause "confusion in the marketplace" and that WWE will suffer damages if he is allowed to trademark it.

:wtf:

UP WILL BECOME DOWN, DOGS AND CATS LIVING TOGETHER, TOTAL ANARCHY!!!!!!!

Disturbed316
08-17-2006, 06:02 PM
I thought the term "Captain Charisma" belonged to some old man in Georgia or something and Christian/WWE needed his permission to use it.

Innovator
08-17-2006, 06:05 PM
I always thought LC had the copyrights to it

Disturbed316
08-17-2006, 06:06 PM
Yeah, thats what I said

Kane Knight
08-17-2006, 06:19 PM
I tend to think that after a long time, WWE will seem to forget about trademarks and the wrestlers can go in and grab them. Will Reso should have held out a little longer.

Unlikely. It's one of the only ways they can dominate the market.

Anyway, I think people are blowing this out of proportion, as is the tradition of the wrestling fan. This will likely not turn into a legal battle. Contestations rarely do. It's not the same as suing someone.

So settle people. All he has to do is climb that fifty foot ladder, grab that solid steel briefcase, and then make it down from that same eighty foot ladder. It's no big deal, just a 100 foot ladder.

Pepsi Man
08-17-2006, 06:23 PM
Unlikely. It's one of the only ways they can dominate the market.

Anyway, I think people are blowing this out of proportion, as is the tradition of the wrestling fan. This will likely not turn into a legal battle. Contestations rarely do. It's not the same as suing someone.

So settle people. All he has to do is climb that fifty foot ladder, grab that solid steel briefcase, and then make it down from that same eighty foot ladder. It's no big deal, just a 100 foot ladder.
We all know Christian's history in Ladder Matches, so I'm sure that that 150 foot ladder will be no trouble for him.

Jaton
08-17-2006, 08:19 PM
I don't know. I'd get nervous being on a 200 foot ladder.

Kane Knight
08-17-2006, 08:20 PM
Christian's a pro. A 500 foot ladder is nothing to him.

Jaton
08-17-2006, 08:21 PM
Perhaps. Where does the glass ceiling start?

YOUR Hero
08-17-2006, 11:11 PM
501 feeet

Kane Knight
08-17-2006, 11:23 PM
The end of Trips' nose. Nobody
s measured that far.

Yashamaga
08-18-2006, 12:56 AM
Last time I checked his name was Jason Reso

FourFifty
08-18-2006, 01:14 AM

Yea, that's what I thought.

Pinnacle Charisma
08-18-2006, 08:00 AM
I have never heard his name was Jason in every article or interview he has always been referred to as "Jay Reso'. Ah well i guess Jay could be short for Jason.

Jaton
08-18-2006, 08:01 AM
The end of Trips' nose. Nobody
s measured that far.

What about Chuck Norris?

Jaton
08-18-2006, 08:02 AM
If you give MacGyver a paper clip, some tissue paper, and a Law and Order special edition DVD to work with, I'm sure he could do something.

-14 second later edit-

Yeah, he could. He's MacGyver, lol..

:shifty:

Kane Knight
08-18-2006, 08:54 AM
If you give MacGyver a paper clip, some tissue paper, and a Law and Order special edition DVD to work with, I'm sure he could do something.

-14 second later edit-

Angus Macgyver could not be reached for comment. Jack O'Neill could, but only said, "neat."

KingofOldSchool
08-18-2006, 09:31 AM
I dunno, I think I could climb that 8 inch ladder.

Jaton
08-18-2006, 09:55 AM
I dunno, I think I could climb that 8 inch ladder.

wtf, you can't change the size of the ladder. What do you think we are, morons?

Pepsi Man
08-18-2006, 11:50 AM
wtf, you can't change the size of the ladder. What do you think we are, morons?
Yeah, really. Have people no shame anymore? Anyway, I'm still confident that Christian Cage can climb that 625 foot ladder and retrieve the briefcase. I mean it's only 680 feet, right?

Jaton
08-18-2006, 12:24 PM
Yeah. Once he gets to the top of the ladder, he can continue to hold down Rick Steiner.

Corkscrewed
08-18-2006, 01:37 PM
If they had the means to manufacture a 900 foot ladder, Christian could easily scale it, even with a torn miniscus, a broken freakin' neck, and necrotitis fasciitis.

The Naitch
08-18-2006, 05:23 PM
The rhinocerous' in the sahara should be suing Rhino right now

The MAC
08-18-2006, 05:24 PM

-14 second later edit-

YEAH! I COULD!

ddpBANG
08-19-2006, 02:40 AM
Jason is his middle name

Fox
08-19-2006, 03:01 AM
"Captain Charisma" isn't even that cool of a nickname.