PDA

View Full Version : How was wrestling ever considered legit?

Fignuts
08-22-2006, 08:55 PM
How was anyone ever stupid enough to beleive that wrestling is real. Nevermind how it looks in the ring. Even in the past, you had storylines, that while not as crazy as todays, should have been dead giveaways that it was fake. Like Harley Race putting a bounty on Ric Flair? Come on, thats like Jeff Gordan putting a bounty on Earnhardt Jr. or something. Ridiculous.

And this brings up my second question. How much more awesome would actual sports be if they were like pro wrestling. Like the yankee's would be would be playing when all of a sudden the red sox make a run-in and beat the crap out of them.

ooooooo how bout this one? France vs Italy world cup. The ref takes a bump. Zidane head butts the keeper, then puts the ball in the open net just in time for the groggy ref to see it. New World Cup Champs!

Xero
08-22-2006, 08:57 PM
Yeah, because professional sports/fights are NEVER fixed.

FourFifty
08-22-2006, 09:04 PM
How was anyone ever stupid enough to beleive that wrestling is real.

Because it was real at one point in time. Back when my grandpa was watching wrestling it was real, so my dad grew up thinking it was real because my grandpa thought it was real. My dad didn't tell me it wasn't real for a while because it's kinda like Santa. So much fun when you think it's real, and it loses some magic when you find out it's fake.

I'm sure all the wrestling we've watched has been 99.9999998 percent show. So by todays standards you're right, people who believe it's real are either young, or stupid. But wrestling as a whole, it was real... and not just to me damn it!

Fignuts
08-22-2006, 09:06 PM
Yeah, because professional sports/fights are NEVER fixed.

Yeah, but they dont have participants calling out hits, or beating the crap out of someone with a coconut, in an interview.

Crippla
08-22-2006, 09:08 PM
What about "ITS STILL REAL TO ME DAMMIT!"?

ron the dial
08-22-2006, 09:09 PM
What about "ITS STILL REAL TO ME DAMMIT!"?
What about it?

Crippla
08-22-2006, 09:12 PM
I think he must have believed wrestling was real as a child or something.

FourFifty
08-22-2006, 09:14 PM
I believed it was real when I was a kid. Why else did I watch it? Why else do kids get into it?

ron the dial
I think he must have believed wrestling was real as a child or something.
Are you telling me that you didn't? I'm pretty sure most of us (and I could be wrong) believed it was real when we were little. Unless someone told us otherwise.

Xero
While, yeah, it's all show, but besides the cliche "these guys bust their asses every week", there's real emotion in it. For example, when Benoit won the title it was the most emotional moment I can remember, aside from a wrestler's death, that I cried a bit.

Everything that he went through to get there was awesome, and the bookers (see: Vince) finally gave him something that actually was worth a shit, the world championship. Some may argue that the titles stopped meaning anything around 2001, but to be the champion in the number one wrestling promotion in the world, and having the bookers have enough faith in you to actually do it (and go over their most-pushed wrestler), is nothing to sneeze at.

"Fake", in my opinion, stops at the emotion you get when you watch a really hard-fought match, someone who you've been watching for years finally getting their chance to shine, and just when two guys put on such an awesome array of abilities that you just have to cheer for it.

All-in-all, wrestling's fake, but the emotion, and athleticism and entertainment isn't.

Crippla
08-22-2006, 09:16 PM
I did but I heard this guy say something in an interview that he still believed it when he was 16 or something like that.

FourFifty
08-22-2006, 09:16 PM
All-in-all, wrestling's fake, but the emotion, and athleticism and entertainment isn't.

I'm stealing that quote.

Crippla
08-22-2006, 09:17 PM
While, yeah, it's all show, but besides the cliche "these guys bust their asses every week", there's real emotion in it. For example, when Benoit won the title it was the most emotional moment I can remember, aside from a wrestler's death, that I cried a bit.

Everything that he went through to get there was awesome, and the bookers (see: Vince) finally gave him something that actually was worth a shit, the world championship. Some may argue that the titles stopped meaning anything around 2001, but to be the champion in the number one wrestling promotion in the world, and having the bookers have enough faith in you to actually do it (and go over their most-pushed wrestler), is nothing to sneeze at.

"Fake", in my opinion, stops at the emotion you get when you watch a really hard-fought match, someone who you've been watching for years finally getting their chance to shine, and just when two guys put on such an awesome array of abilities that you just have to cheer for it.

Damn thats the best post I seen in a long time and for praising Benoit you get a good rep.

Fignuts
08-22-2006, 09:32 PM

You're missing the point though. I'm not disagreeing with anything you said there. And I'm not talking about little kids. I'm talking about grown adults who think that what they are watching is an actual competitive sporting event.

Kane Knight
08-22-2006, 09:52 PM
Wrestling was viewed as real at a time where coconuts weren't used?

I mean, really, even in the 80s, anyone of intelligence got that it was rigged, if not entirely faked.

Destor
08-22-2006, 09:54 PM
Most people figured that it was rigged in the late 50's early 60's. EVERYONE new buy the 80's.

Kane Knight
08-22-2006, 09:56 PM
Sadly, not true.

Destor
08-22-2006, 10:03 PM
Actually yeah. I was teen in 80's how about you?

redoneja
08-22-2006, 10:59 PM
Yea, who won the World Cup anyway?

Crippla
08-22-2006, 11:02 PM
France? I think.

Destor
08-22-2006, 11:02 PM
World cup? Is this a rugby thing? [/Typical American]

FourFifty
08-22-2006, 11:29 PM
You're missing the point though. I'm not disagreeing with anything you said there. And I'm not talking about little kids. I'm talking about grown adults who think that what they are watching is an actual competitive sporting event.

If it wasn't for Mr. It's Still Real To Me Damn It you would have no point whatsoever.

Kane Knight
08-23-2006, 01:45 PM
Actually yeah. I was teen in 80's how about you?

I'll beat that. I was actually literate in the 80s, and capable of reading newspaper articles and such on the subject of the "Controversy," And then interperet them to draw an intelligent conclusion that meshes with reality.

You learned to read in your...Thirties?