PDA

View Full Version : Ok, so like half my hard drive is blocked off

Head
02-08-2004, 09:26 PM
Yeah so about a year and a half ago my friend gave me a downloaded copy of Windows XP Pro, I installed it, and used it for about a year and it worked fine.

I guess Microsoft eventually found out that I had an illegal copy, because I suddenly wasn't able to open windows or internet explorer, thus making my computer pretty usless.

My computer wouldn't let me uninstall Windows XP for some reason, so I just reinstalled the copy of Windows XP Home that came with my comp.

When that was all done, I still had all of the stuff that I had on my computer from before on it, but my computer won't let me access or delete it (it was under the my computers master account, but I had to create a new one when I reinstalled Windows).

So now I just have like half my hard drive just idle, and that is pretty annoying, as I could use the space. I really don't wanna reformat, because I really don't feel like going through putting all my files that I have on my comp on CDs than copying them again to the comp. Anybody know anything that can be done that would let me access, or even just delete all the old files on my comp? Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rock Bottom
02-08-2004, 09:33 PM
Wonder if you could access it from someone else's computer. For example, a friend... stick your HD in their comp as a secondary hard drive. Then copy the shit you want to their hard drive, wipe your drive, reformat... stick their hard drive in as a secondary, to move the files over to yours, then take yours back to your computer.

:shifty:

Head
02-08-2004, 09:34 PM
Yeah, but my computer is an internal hard drive, and that would take more effort than reformatting would.

Thanks anyway though.

Head
02-08-2004, 09:36 PM
This is acually pretty much the same problem that Disturbed316 posted about in his topic. Hadn't opened that topic.

A mod can delete this or whatever.

sadio8
hhhhmmm you certainly could install another operating system other then windows xp on your computer( so you'd end up having 2 operating systems on your comptuer). Then load you computer so that it loads the new operating system( non-xp 1) that you installed on your computer. And then surely when you are in the new operating system you will have access to your files.

But thats like a last ditch effort. Also if you do not mind can you tell me what the name of the directory you are trying to access the files( but are unable to since you can't access them). Just wonderin the directory name cause that could help me out in tryin to figure out your problem..

Rock Bottom
Oh I read the question wrong. I thought there was shit you needed that you couldn't access. When now I see, it's not really shit you're worried about deleting... Eh.. *thinking*

Head
02-08-2004, 09:38 PM
Sure.

It won't let me get into

C:\Documents and Settings\Justin

Pretty much where I had about 15 GB of music, movies, ect.

Head
02-08-2004, 09:39 PM
Oh I read the question wrong. I thought there was shit you needed that you couldn't access. When now I see, it's not really shit you're worried about deleting... Eh.. *thinking*
Yeah, this was a while ago, I have long recovered anything that I lost. Really just wanna clean up my hard drive.

sadio8
02-08-2004, 09:51 PM
So when you try to get into that folder it just states that " access is denied"? hhhmmm well i reckon that you could do a system restore maybe? Or there has to be some way that you can access that folder.............. hhhhmmmm maybe you login to windows xp via safe mode and see if that does anything at all. Truthfully i am stuck as hell on ideas right now

CREDO
02-10-2004, 12:37 PM
Yeah try safe mode, its possible that for some reason you arent logged in as an admin, thus locking you out from a users folder.

Head
02-10-2004, 06:07 PM
Tried safe mode and trying to delete that profile as the admin, but still no go.

I'll just buy a cheap second hard drive.

Thanks anyway though, appriciate it a lot.