PDA

View Full Version : My views on the Xbox 360

Disturbed316
08-24-2006, 08:43 AM
Yesturday I decided to say "Fuck Sony" and bought a 360. I got to admit, I was abit of a Sony fanboy so was gearing up for the PS3 but after hearing so many disappointing things about it, I decided to go for one of these.

First things first, the staff at the shop treated me like royality when I said I wanted to buy one. There was a queue that was about a mile long, and I just cut infront, lovely.

I had heard jokes about the weight of the console and good god it's a heavy bastard, no wonder they say in the manual not to let it fall on little children.

When I finally got it home and connected I was really impressed by the design of the menu's and stuff. So slick and easy to access everything with loads of stuff to do. Last night I managed to be on the console for about 3 hours without even touching a game I'd bought.

The graphics are really impressive, even on the non-HDTV I'm using, must be great to play on one of those, better start saving.

It was stupid easy to connect to Xbox live. I remember having so much trouble hooking up my PS2 for online gaming, but this was a piece of cake. Haven't actually played a game on it yet, but have downloaded stuff from there and the download speed seems pretty good.

Got two games in the bundle I bought but they gave me a third one free. The games I got were: Perfect Dark Zero, Top Spin 2 and Burnout Revenge.

The one problem I see at the moment is how hot the fucker gets when your using the console. I have never known an appliance pump out so much heat other than an oven! I've seen a cooling fan is available, so I think I might buy one of them. Don't wanna melt my console or burn a hole in my carpet.

If anyone is in two minds about getting a 360, they really shouldn't be. It's an amazing piece of kit, well worth the money you pay I think. It's got some great games coming up so I would invest in one before they go at the christmas rush.

NJackson21 (gamertag)

Fignuts
08-24-2006, 09:26 AM
Yes, i love my 360. And the games you have don't even really show off what the system can really do. I have Fight Night, and the graphics in that, are just absolutly insane. And even though there arn't many games to choose from, i never had an xbox, so I have a whole pre-existing library to choose from. Plus there is a ton of really cool games coming out this year.

But stay away from DOA 4. Team Ninja are bastards.

Dorkchop
08-24-2006, 10:50 AM
I'm considering getting one. I'm just waiting for better games for me. Right now there are only a couple of games I have some interest in.

ClockShot
08-24-2006, 10:54 AM
I too am happy with my Xbox 360. I got mine around rush time when you could not find one on the shelf. The only problem we (myself and my brother) ran across is that you got to have a sepreate E-mail account per gamertag. I had to end up using my PS2 HD address. However, the only flaw it has, and I mentioned this in one of the PS3 forums somewhere, is that you cannot transfer your old data from your Xbox to the 360, which was a major letdown and had to play everything all over again.

One more thing, make sure you check the list on Xbox.com to make sure your xbox games play on the thing. Sure the library is huge, but they haven't added anything new for a good while now.

DS
08-24-2006, 11:27 AM
They haven't added anything new because they are done with backwards compatibility. What they have now is all they will ever have.

Xero
08-24-2006, 01:41 PM
Well, considering I just read that SvR07 has been canceled for the PS3, I think I just lost all faith in the PS3 and will be getting a 360 in a few months.

Plus there are more games exclusive to the 360 that I'm interested in than the announced PS3 games. So fuck Sony, I'm going 360 and probably Wii. Will get a PS3 when the price comes WAY down in about 3 years or so.

I'm betting on Microsoft (or at least some retailers) dropping the price of the 360 right around the time the PS3 comes out, so I'll probably nab one then.

Xero
08-24-2006, 01:46 PM
Quick question: What's the pricing plan on X Box Live? From what I understand, it's yearly, am I right?

Destor
08-24-2006, 01:52 PM
I'll get a PS3 for a hundred bucks. No more. And trust me, threre is always someone needing cash quick, gotta love geekers.

Kane Knight
08-24-2006, 02:04 PM
Quick question: What's the pricing plan on X Box Live? From what I understand, it's yearly, am I right?

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/memberships/subscriptioncards.htm

D Mac
08-24-2006, 03:01 PM
I was a Sony fanboy too. I always called XBOX a "SuckBox". But I've changed my views with the 360. A solid system. Bill Gates knows how to make money that's for sure.

Xero
08-24-2006, 03:33 PM
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/memberships/subscriptioncards.htm
Thanks...

I was a Sony fanboy too. I always called XBOX a "SuckBox". But I've changed my views with the 360. A solid system. Bill Gates knows how to make money that's for sure.
As was I. I actually hate my X Box, there are no games on it that I really like that are exclusive. But the PS3 just seems to lack anything that the 360 doesn't have that I care about besides Metal Gear Solid. If that ever comes to the 360, I may never buy a PS3...

Kane Knight
08-24-2006, 06:13 PM
I've nevr really had any system loyalty. I generally follow the RPGs and the wrestling games and the occasional jet fighter game. If Nintendo hadn't scared away all the RPGs, I might have never have bought a PS2.

Silent
08-24-2006, 07:37 PM
I got my 360 about a week ago and I'm pretty happy with it, but honestly I like Geometry Wars better then the games I bought with the system. :D (Kameo, Final Fantasy XI, Battlefield2, and I just picked up Ninety Nine Nights recently)

One thing that really bugs me about the system is that everything is so fucking hard to read, when I first booted the system up and the menus had that bright neon theme, my eyes started to blur after 20 minutes and I had trouble reading the back of the boxes on my games.. I changed it to the Halo2 theme and it's ok now.

But, everything is still so hard to see when I'm playing the game. I stopped playing FFXI on the system because it's pointless when you can't even read how much health you have left. I'm hoping it will be better when i get an HDTV. But as of now I have to sit really close to the TV to read everything, and I've always liked console games because I can sit on my couch and play em.

I do like everything else about the system though, the achievement system especially is brilliant, makes me want to go rent more games and play the hell out of em.

Terra Ryzin
08-25-2006, 09:58 AM
i got my 360 about 3 months ago. i was dead set on a ps3, but after hearing the price and the fact that GTA & SVR are not exclusive to ps anymore, that really changed my mind.

Im very very happy with my 360, and really have no interest in gettin a ps3 now. from a price standpoint alone, i think xbox is far and away a better value.

Fignuts
08-25-2006, 10:14 AM
You guys should try Prey.

It plays like Doom 3, but with some REALLY cool level design.

Fignuts
08-25-2006, 10:15 AM
I also have Ghost Recon which is pretty awesome, but I've never played a tactical shooter so I'm having a bit of trouble getting into it.

Terra Ryzin
08-25-2006, 12:29 PM
I also have Ghost Recon which is pretty awesome, but I've never played a tactical shooter so I'm having a bit of trouble getting into it.

i actually hardly ever played to single play, not really my kinda thing. i got it for the mulitplayer.

i played the pray demo and liked it alot, but i still got alot of dead rising to play, with saints row and nhl coming out prey kinda fell off for me. ill probalby pick it up used eventualy when im bored with everything else

What Would Kevin Do?
08-25-2006, 12:39 PM
I'm holding out for PS3 due to MGS4, and other Konami games (Suikoden damnit!)

Plus, Atlus and Spike (Shin Megemi Tensei series, FirePro, etc)

Fignuts
08-26-2006, 12:32 PM
Holy shit, could you imagine fire pro on a 360

Considering its 2d, the amount of shit they could pack in would be insane.

I'm betting on 500 default wrestlers next game, at least.

Bad Company
08-26-2006, 06:17 PM
I love my 360.
Also, don't have your console on the carpet/floor. You'll just get dust and shit in it and it'll fuck out.

#BROKEN Hasney
08-28-2006, 08:19 PM
They haven't added anything new because they are done with backwards compatibility. What they have now is all they will ever have.

Heh, I didn't think that was true.

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2006/08/28/back-compat-update-finally-aquaman/

Kalyx triaD
08-28-2006, 08:22 PM
The menu's are pretty fucking slick.

DS
08-28-2006, 08:28 PM
Oops. I was under that impression after the last update.

"Nobody is concerned anymore about backward compatibility," Moore said. "More are coming...but at some point you just go 'there's enough,' or 'let's move on'...people aren't as worried about a game being backward compatible."

Well I'm glad to see they converted Aquaman. I might just pick up the 360 now.

#BROKEN Hasney
08-28-2006, 08:30 PM
Oops. I was under that impression after the last update.

"Nobody is concerned anymore about backward compatibility," Moore said. "More are coming...but at some point you just go 'there's enough,' or 'let's move on'...people aren't as worried about a game being backward compatible."

Well I'm glad to see they converted Aquaman. I might just pick up the 360 now.
Yeah, he said some shit like that and then some other guy from MS (That Major guy?) said that they were his views and work was progressing on BC updates and won't stop until they've done every game they possibly can.

Does anyone think Capcom are making them hold out on MvC2 until SF2 stops selling? :(

Final edit: Lego Star Wars 2? Isn;t that coming out on 360 anyways? Might as well pick up the XBox version for £10 less.....

Johnny Vegas
08-29-2006, 06:07 AM
So someone tell me of these negative reviews of a PS3.

I planned on getting a 360 when i received my refund check, but i just want to feel even more better about getting it rather than a PS3.

DS
08-29-2006, 12:16 PM
It's impossible for anyone here to give a negative review of the PS3 because it's not even out. All the negative comments are mostly just speculation about what will happen because of news reports. The only way to tell if the PS3 will be any good is to hear reviews at least six months after the release.

The price is a problem so if you want to build your opinion around that then you really don't need to be told by anyone anything else about it.

Johnny Vegas
08-29-2006, 01:39 PM
How much will it be in the USA/UK?

DS
08-29-2006, 02:20 PM
$499 for 20GB, $599 for 60GB

Johnny Vegas
08-29-2006, 03:50 PM
360>any fucking size of memory with a PS3

XL
08-29-2006, 08:52 PM
I finally got to play on a 360 this past weekend and I have to say I was midly impressed.

I only played FIFA World Cup 2006 (which was shitty) and Fight Night (great graphics, good gameplay, fantastic 2 player action) so I didn't get the full experience of the systems capabilities.

I was toying with the idea of getting a 360 due to the fact that the games that I consistently play (SmackDown and Pro Evolution Soccer) are now not only available on 360 but are exclusive to it (on next gen anyways).

PS3 may well have lost me for now based on these simple facts. Either way, I guess we will see when we get towards October/November.

Bad Company
08-30-2006, 03:16 AM
I'm fucken spewing they haven't added backwards compatibility for rugby 2005/rugby 2006. I don't even have my original xbox anymore, just the games. FUCK.

Jonster
09-01-2006, 07:26 AM
The one problem I see at the moment is how hot the fucker gets when your using the console. I have never known an appliance pump out so much heat other than an oven! I've seen a cooling fan is available, so I think I might buy one of them. Don't wanna melt my console or burn a hole in my carpet.

You seemed to have read the manual, which I'm fairly certain says "Don't put it on a carpet"...

Disturbed316
09-01-2006, 09:32 AM
I've moved it anyway after about a day, so thats no longer a problem. Just waiting for Dead Rising to come out now, then I can see who badly this baby gets hot.

D Mac
09-01-2006, 02:52 PM
My console froze up a couple of times. Very annoying. :mad:

Disturbed316
09-06-2006, 07:51 AM
lol got my cooling fan this morning. It now sounds like my 360 is going to take off. Oh well, as long as it does it's job, I don't mind.

Bad Company
09-09-2006, 05:57 AM
my console has been apart, reapplied the thermal paste, its a messy job outta the factory

Extreme Angle
09-09-2006, 06:27 AM
can't wait to get mine :D
where do you get cooling fans and are they really neccesary?
can you post your gamer tags please?

D Mac
09-09-2006, 11:39 AM

I got one at Best Buy, yeah, it would'nt hurt to have one. I paid 400 bucks for my system so yeah I would like to have it last as long as possible.

Gamertag: DieselMac

Disturbed316
09-10-2006, 07:06 AM
can't wait to get mine :D

Got mine from here:

http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/productpage.asp?productcode=XT1024&title=nyko_intercooler_360

They aren't neccesary, but I would advise getting one.

And go here for gamertags:

http://www.tpww.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49929