PDA

View Full Version : There's too many re-matches in wrestling now

Yashamaga
08-27-2006, 03:43 PM
What happened to the old days where a feud would be built up to have a one match pay-off at a PPV?

Nowadays if two people go one on one at a PPV for the 1st time, you can bank on the very next PPV being the same exact match.

New Years Revolution- Cena/Edge
Royal Rumble - Cena/Edge
WM - Cena/HHH
Backlash - Cena/HHH
Summerslam - Cena/Edge
Unforgiven - Cena/Edge
Summerslam - Batista/Booker
No Mercy - Batista/Booker

Not to mention on Raw the last couple months the main event has basicly been DX vs. the Spirit Squad every week.

Having multiple matches doesn't add fuel to a feud. Having a buildup for one single match does.

Bricktop
08-27-2006, 04:32 PM
This occurs because is there is way more ppv's and way more tv tapings today.

You can't get away with Edge versus some jobber, like they did in the 80's with superstars of wrestling and what not. Every show has to have some decent main event, so because of this things get repetitive. Not that I'm saying its good, because its terrible.

One week its a mixed tag match, the next week its a handicap, then a triple threat, then finally the ppv match and by the time that occurs, no one cares.

YOUR Hero
08-27-2006, 09:13 PM
It's still better than the star VS jobber bullshit of the aforementioned 80's

M-A-G
08-27-2006, 09:21 PM
It's actually preferable as there's evidence of actual, you know, feuds as opposed to someone holding the title and just facing the lame duck challenger of the month.

#1-norm-fan
08-27-2006, 09:24 PM
I've always though the perfect formula would be to just only have your main eventers wrestle on free TV once a month.

For example, in the month leading up to Edge vs. Cena, you spend 3 out of the 4 Raws having them involved in an angle as opposed to wrestling a match... I wouldn't even mind if the angle ended each raw as opposed to a match (of course, this requires good writing).

And then once a month have, say Edge beat someone like Jeff Hardy cleanly in a competetive match (Not a jobber, but not someone who couldn't realistically give Edge a run for his money) and do the sam with Cena against Shelton Benjamin or someone. And then, always have a secondary main event storyline not involving the world title and have that storyline revolve more around matches.

I think if you did this, you could do those PPV rematches because you're getting the confrontation teased more on free tv.

Pepsi Man
08-28-2006, 12:38 AM
They used to know how to put the main eventers in there with other top-ish talent in between PPVs. Rock vs. Road Dogg on Raw in 1999 or Triple H vs. Godfather in like 2000, or Triple H vs. D'Lo Brown in 2002 are good examples of this.

redoneja
08-28-2006, 12:40 AM
D'Lo Brown was in WWE in 2002?

redoneja
08-28-2006, 12:41 AM
Wow, he was. Just checked OWW.

Dorkchop
08-28-2006, 12:42 AM
I agree that this is a good thing and a bad thing. It's good to keep feuds going, but it's also good to have new, exciting, fresh feuds.

I just wish the WWE would allow more than one person to chase a heavyweight title. Multiple people chasing the title is exciting. TNA was good for that a few months ago, but lately has adopted the "only one guy can chase the title" philosphy.

#1-norm-fan
08-28-2006, 12:43 AM
Yep. Shortly before his release he faced Triple H in an epic blindfold match that lasted all of 3 minutes if I remember correctly.

Dorkchop
08-28-2006, 12:45 AM
D'Lo Brown was in WWE in 2002?

Yeah, I think he only wrestled one or two matches on Raw in 2002. I liked D'Lo a lot.

#1-norm-fan
08-28-2006, 12:46 AM
I agree that this is a good thing and a bad thing. It's good to keep feuds going, but it's also good to have new, exciting, fresh feuds.

I just wish the WWE would allow more than one person to chase a heavyweight title. Multiple people chasing the title is exciting. TNA was good for that a few months ago, but lately has adopted the "only one guy can chase the title" philosphy.

That's okay once in a while but I'm more into the old fashion one on one feuds. When you get 4 guys in a main event feud, where do you go from there? Elevate three more guys to challenge? That kind of cheapens challenging for the title.

Dorkchop
08-28-2006, 12:59 AM
That's okay once in a while but I'm more into the old fashion one on one feuds. When you get 4 guys in a main event feud, where do you go from there? Elevate three more guys to challenge? That kind of cheapens challenging for the title.

I'm all for both. I like multiple feuds with multiple guys chasing the title, and I like sweet long one on one feuds with one guy chasing the title.

I like variety in wrestling, but TNA and WWE haven't really been giving us any variety. Everything manages to stay the same. Only now a lot of WWE's top guys are dropping.

I just hate seing the exact same match every week with the same two guys for 3 months.

Team Sheep
08-28-2006, 12:43 PM
BTW, it wasnt Cena vs Triple H at Backlash. It was a triple threat with Edge in it too.

NoRoolz
08-29-2006, 12:54 PM
I do like a multiple wrestler feud from time to time. Not too regularly though. Once, maybe twice a year. A fatal four way could happen at Survivor Series if the booking is right, here's my shot...

At Unforgiven Edge wins again, and puts Cena out of action for a month. This gives Edge a chance to start another feud - with DX. The feud should start a week or two after Unforgiven, maybe by Vince and Shane backing Edge? And nearer Survivor Series Michaels could get 'injured' by Edge which makes him unable to fight and makes the feud further heated. After a month Cena should return as a pissed off tweener, with a real 'I don't give a fuck' attitude and attack babyfaces as well as heels. Cena is still desperate for revenge on Edge and during matches with him teaming with Jeff Hardy or DX he can refuse to tag out and things eventually leading to confrontations between Jeff/Cena DX/Cena... Jeff Hardy would still be in the frame, attacking Edge at random and helping DX at times.

So there you have 3 wrestlers all attacking Edge making his heelyness oh so much greater and putting him over oh so much further. And it's not just Edge V the other 3. DX/Cena and Jeff/Cena has been building up as a side-feud too. 2 weeks before the P.P.V, D-X and Jeff could do a classic dx-style impersonation. With HHH being Edge, HBK being Cena, and Jeff Hardy being Lita. This would be a typical DX skit building heat against both Cena and Edge. And also giving hints of Jeff Hardy joining DX? The next week Michaels would be injured by Edge, badly, and HHH is shown seething, desperate to find Edge, whilst Jeff Hardy has a NO-DQ match with John Cena which is won by Cena, who due to being pissed off by last weeks impersonation shows real nastiness with weapons against Jeff, leaving him doubtful for Survivor Series. So now DX is desperate to get at Edge. Cena is still desperate to get at Edge. Jeff is still desperate to get at Edge. Jeff now wants revenge on John Cena. Cena still wants revenge on DX. So everyone hates each other except HHH and Jeff Hardy.

Survivor Series comes and the fatal four way elimination match is the main event. JR and King are saying how it should be a triple threat now because Jeff is in a bad way. The ring announcer says the match is now a triple threat due to Jeff being injured, thus receiving major boos. And the other competitors are announced. Cena comes out first to vastly boos due to his attack on Jeff. Edge comes out second and immediately gets attacked by Cena. DX's theme hits and HHH runs out with HBK at his side and joins in the fighting. Then 'unexpectedly' Jeff Hardy's music hits and Jeff runs out and goes straight for Cena amidst massive cheers. The ring announcer tells that the match is once again a fatal four way. JR is raving on about how Jeff Hardy is 'such a daredevil bahgawd'.

After about 10 minutes, Jeff goes out after being shown no mercy by Cena again. The 3 stay at each others throats for another 20 minutes with referees going down and interference from McMahons, Lita, and HBK. Then Cena is hammering away at Edge whilst HHH is out of the ring on the floor, the referee is also out cold, as Cena is about to finish Edge off Jeff Hardy comes out and nails Cena with a chair dropkick or something 'extreme', Hardy drags Edge on top of Cena and high-tails out. Cena gets eliminated.

With just HHH and Edge left they carry on fighting for about 10 minutes until a McMahon interference gives Edge the victory. Maybe a vintage 'lights out' finish?

After the P.P.V Cena/Hardy becomes a major feud with Cena now heel. And DX/Edge & McMahons becomes a major feud. If pulled off right, a great fatal four way with a good build up leading to two new main event feuds.

--- I'm not exactly a skilled writer but with some editing I think this storyline would be an interesting and possible multi-wrestler feud.

NoRoolz
08-29-2006, 01:02 PM
*cough* Alienoid *cough*