PDA

View Full Version : Post Your Favorite Match/Moment from the MNW Era

Fox
09-03-2006, 07:27 PM
The Monday Night Wars were filled with so many awesome moments. There's the obvious ones like Hulk Hogan turning heel and creating the nWo, or the arrivals of Scott Hall and Kevin Nash, or the WWE Championship victory of Mankind.

Favorite Match: WCW Nitro: Rey Mysterio vs. Ric Flair (c) - WCW Title

It was during one of those Spring Breakout Nitros when they would have the show in the little outdoor arena, where the ringside area was surrounded by water. Flair was in the middle of a heel run as champ and Mysterio had just unmasked and was one of the top babyfaces in the company, as well as one of my personal favorites. They really did have a great underdog match with Mysterio getting in tons of offense and looking like a million bucks. When he hit the Huricanrana off the top rope, I really thought he was going to become the new champion (which really would have helped WCW at this point), but that bastard Arn Anderson had to pull the ref out of the ring. One of my personal favorites.

Favorite Moment: Bret Hart calls out Goldberg in Canada. The Man arrives and hits him with a Spear, but Hart rolls him off and reveals a steel plate under his hockey jersey. Hart then "Quit" WCW. Fucking sweet moment.

Skippord
09-03-2006, 07:43 PM
Sting vs Vampiro fued for some reason

Crippla
09-03-2006, 07:44 PM
I know one of my favorite promos was when DX mocked the Nation. That shit was hilarious when it was original.

FourFifty
09-03-2006, 08:38 PM
The last shot in the ratings war... On Nitro when they said Mick Foley won the WWF Championship... I stopped watching Nitro then and there. That was the iconic moment for me in the Monday Night Wars.

James Steele
09-03-2006, 09:11 PM
I will just do a match and a moment from actual RAW and Nitro shows because if I tried to think of PPV moments it'd be impossible.

WCW Monday Nitro

Match: Sting about to make Goldberg tap out and win the World Title (and end Goldberg's streak) when the nWo came out and fucked it all up. Ultimate emotional roller coaster when I was a little kid.

Moment: Ric Flair returns and the 4 Horsemen reform.

WWF RAW IS WAR

(TIE) Match:

Jan. 4, 1999:Mankind vs. The Rock- Mrs. Foley's baby boy finally realized his boyhood dream on the Jan. 4, 1999 edition of Monday Night RAW when Mankind defeated The Rock for the WWE Championship. With a little help from a chair-wielding Stone Cold, Mankind covered The Rock for the win.

Aug. 23, 1999:Triple H vs. Mankind- On Aug. 23, 1999, one night after SummerSlam, Triple H defeated Mankind for his first-ever reign as WWE Champion. This Monday Night RAW classic also featured Shane McMahon as special referee.

Moment: Vince McMahon is revealed as the higher power.

````
Triple H was the first heel I really was a mark for, and I was a Foley a mark for as long as I can remember. I live in the South, so Sting and Ric Flair are freaking gods of wrestling to me.

PullMyFinger
09-03-2006, 09:54 PM
I remember that Rey match, being the mark that I was....I thought Mysterio had a chance to win it.

Monday Nitro: Probably Sting vs. Goldberg...or Hogan vs. Goldberg.

WWF Raw: Mankind vs. the Rock

Chico
09-03-2006, 10:56 PM
Favorite Nitro match: Hogan v Goldberg (when Goldberg won the title)

Favorite Nitro moment: Reformation of the Horsemen

M-A-G
09-04-2006, 02:54 PM
Austin winning the title the first time.

Mr. JL
09-04-2006, 02:59 PM
I always loved it when Bret Hart would run down the Americans. Where he'd get booed out the building when in America, but be cheered and loved while Oversea's and in Canada. Probably the most fun I've ever had watching wrestling was then.

Avenger
09-04-2006, 03:57 PM
Probably for RAW it would be Foley winning the title and the Vince Higher Power segment. A beautifully setup angle and the revelation of Austin as "CEO" was just unreal. Best Angle Ever.

Jordan
09-04-2006, 08:02 PM
WCW - Benoit v.s Bret Hart
WWE - 10 Man tag with the Radicals

Sting Fan
09-05-2006, 03:57 AM
Definately Goldberg vs. Hogan when Goldberg went over.

WCW Blew the load early but shit what a reaction.

Rammsteinmad
09-05-2006, 04:47 PM
Definitely agree about WCW blowing the load with the Goldberg / Hogan match. Fave match would have to be Bret Hart VS Chris Benoit though... amazing match... amazing tribute.

Fave moment... hmmm... so many... Can't decide... Although I remember the last Nitro (or maybe Thunder) before Halloween Havoc 1999. Sid Vicious had been taunting Goldberg for weeks, calling himself the "Millenium Man" and trying to beat Goldberg's win streak... Goldberg and Sid met face to face before their match and I remember Goldberg Spearing Sid and just marking out like crazy! It was like "Oh yeah Sid... now you've done it"...

Crippla
09-05-2006, 05:00 PM
Definitely agree about WCW blowing the load with the Goldberg / Hogan match. Fave match would have to be Bret Hart VS Chris Benoit though... amazing match... amazing tribute.

Fave moment... hmmm... so many... Can't decide... Although I remember the last Nitro (or maybe Thunder) before Halloween Havoc 1999. Sid Vicious had been taunting Goldberg for weeks, calling himself the "Millenium Man" and trying to beat Goldberg's win streak... Goldberg and Sid met face to face before their match and I remember Goldberg Spearing Sid and just marking out like crazy! It was like "Oh yeah Sid... now you've done it"...

He wasn't trying to beat Goldberg's undefeated streak if that's what you mean because that ended at Starrcade 1998 against Kevin Nash.

Petethegeekstreet
09-05-2006, 05:02 PM
He was trying to surpase the win record you dumb fuck.

Anybody Thrilla
09-05-2006, 05:26 PM
Chris Jericho's entire heel run in WCW was the highlight of this era for me. My favorite moment had to be when he tried to emulate Goldberg's entrance and got lost on the way to the ring. Fucking classic. Also, Jericho's duelling mics WWE debut with The Rock was a major markout moment.

I can't think of one match that stands out for me, but I know there were so fucking many.

Disturbed316
09-06-2006, 03:22 PM

It was during one of those Spring Breakout Nitros when they would have the show in the little outdoor arena, where the ringside area was surrounded by water. Flair was in the middle of a heel run as champ and Mysterio had just unmasked and was one of the top babyfaces in the company, as well as one of my personal favorites. They really did have a great underdog match with Mysterio getting in tons of offense and looking like a million bucks. When he hit the Huricanrana off the top rope, I really thought he was going to become the new champion (which really would have helped WCW at this point), but that bastard Arn Anderson had to pull the ref out of the ring. One of my personal favorites.

I swear Mysterio still had his mask, they didn't unmask him till 99.

Crippla
09-06-2006, 04:40 PM
I don't remember when the Mysterio/Flair match was exactly but I know Mysterio wasn't unmasked until early 1999 by Kevin Nash.

Goulet
09-06-2006, 04:46 PM
I don't remember when the Mysterio/Flair match was exactly but I know Mysterio wasn't unmasked until early 1999 by Kevin Nash.
And the post above yours says he was unmasked in 99... do you just have to post in every thread? Like honestly you added nothing to this thread with that comment

Joey Slugs
09-06-2006, 04:46 PM
Everything about WCW at the time would be listed as my favorite moment.

Anybody Thrilla
09-06-2006, 04:55 PM
Even David Arquette?

Destor
09-06-2006, 04:57 PM
Joey is a self admitted WCW mark, but he did say "at that time."

Steve The Pirate
09-06-2006, 05:38 PM

I thought Mysterio was going to win too. :( I wish I could go back to that type of blissful ignorance.

Anybody Thrilla
09-06-2006, 05:39 PM
Joey is a self admitted WCW mark, but he did say "at that time."

Isn't this thread about the Monday Night War era?

Crippla
09-06-2006, 05:42 PM
Remember when Johnny Nitro came out to Nitro theme music. I know that has nothing to do with the MNW but I still think that was genius.

parkmania
09-06-2006, 06:47 PM
I loved it during the early days of the nWo when they were at the summer outside ring location, and Hall and Nash javelined Mysterio into the side of the production truck. Never been much of a Rey fan, but that stood out as a jaw-dropper to me

Destor
09-06-2006, 06:49 PM
Isn't this thread about the Monday Night War era?Wasn't the War really over by that point? Weren't we just waiting for it to concede in defeat?

srnrew
09-06-2006, 10:34 PM
Favorite moment from Nitro: Nash shooting Mysterio like a lawndart into side of trailer.

http://www.cybergifs.com/other/CanBlast2.gif

Volare
09-07-2006, 03:24 AM
DX showing up to WCW...laughed my ass off

RGWhat316
09-07-2006, 03:37 AM
Probably for RAW it would be Foley winning the title and the Vince Higher Power segment. A beautifully setup angle and the revelation of Austin as "CEO" was just unreal. Best Angle Ever.
Agreed, my favorites as well. Foley winning the belt was insane. Then I actually couldn't wait for RAW to find out who the higher power was. Then Austin becoming CEO was a mark out moment.

The Mackem
09-07-2006, 08:18 AM
I didn't watch WCW at the time but the announcement that Foley won the championship always intrigues me. What are the details regarding this?

St. Jimmy
09-07-2006, 08:42 AM
I didn't watch WCW at the time but the announcement that Foley won the championship always intrigues me. What are the details regarding this?

Bischoff being a dick. They wanted better raitings, so they had the announcers mention Raw spoilers (since Raw was taped during this time, and Nitro was live). The night that Foley won the belt, Schivone told everyone that Mick was winning the belt way before the match actually aired on TV. Mick (who IRL was a friend of Schivone) was legit pissed (read "Have a Nice Day" since this story is in there)

Disturbed316
09-07-2006, 12:03 PM
I think he said something along the lines of:

"Mick Foley, who wrestled here under the name Cactus Jack, is going to win their world title....yeah, like thats gonna put butts in seats"

addy2hotty
09-08-2006, 08:11 PM
Leaving out the obvious ones I always say for questions like these, ie Foley/DX/Jericho, I'm gonna say :-

The 'Wedding of Stephanie McMahon and The Undertaker' on Raw, when Austin came down to save her taking out most of the Ministry at the same time. I was SO into WWF at the time, and it truely was great story-telling, Vince begs Austin to help him, Austin says 'go to hell', and then saves her anyway due to his high moral standing. Steph hugs Steve, Steve doesn't hug back, Vince comes down and says thank you. Undertaker curses on the ramp. The 'Will he, won't he' aspect was great.

If anyone knows of a clip of this, I'd be eternally grateful.

Crippla
09-08-2006, 08:14 PM
Bischoff being a dick. They wanted better raitings, so they had the announcers mention Raw spoilers (since Raw was taped during this time, and Nitro was live). The night that Foley won the belt, Schivone told everyone that Mick was winning the belt way before the match actually aired on TV. Mick (who IRL was a friend of Schivone) was legit pissed (read "Have a Nice Day" since this story is in there)

Yeah, I remember it but to be fair I think that's when WWF.com spoiled it on their website as well.

Rammsteinmad
09-09-2006, 06:02 PM

You forgot to mention how apparently right then everyone switched over to RAW to see the title change... kinda signifying the ratings switch.