PDA

View Full Version : Mercenaries 2: World in flames

Fignuts
09-15-2006, 01:08 AM
The first Mercenaries game was amazing, and undoubtably the sleeper hit of the year. So many awesome things about that game, I can't even list them.

The sequel is coming out for PS3 and now it seems, possibly xbox 360.

I've seen screens of this game in a magazine and it looks awesome. It takes place in venezuela, this time, and the faction system remains intact. Although there is no longer the deck of 52, there will be a new system for finding bounties.

Everytime you try and hijack a vehicle such as tank or helicopter, it enters a mini-game where you have to input buttons to fight the pilot for the vehicle. Which is pretty cool honestly. Was too easy to just take a tank from a guy in the last one. Should be earned.

Also the mercs are now armed with grappling hooks which they use for scaling buildings, or even grabbing onto choppers.

This game is going to kick all kinds of ass. I'm probably getting ps3 anyhow, so if it does end up being a ps3 exclusive, thats just one more reason to get a ps3.

Blitz
09-15-2006, 01:40 AM
Yeah, definitely want a PS3 for this.

Fignuts
09-15-2006, 01:45 AM
I cant recall if there were boats in the last one, but they are in this one. I cannot WAIT for more info on this game. I guess there is cooperative play online. Giggity.

Fignuts
09-21-2006, 09:59 PM
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/707/707278/mercenaries-2-world-in-flames-20060510022920819.jpg

Blitz
02-22-2007, 05:23 PM
Confirmed multi platform. Will also be on PC, 360, and PS2.

Kenny
03-30-2008, 04:21 PM
YouTube has a ton of game play videos up and this game is looking better and better as time goes on.

I like this kind of game because it gives you the freedom to choose how you would like to accomplish the mission. Most games in a war atmosphere make you take a certain route and complete certain tasks.

Here are some tidbits...
* You'll be able to drive and high jack helicopters (from one of the videos I saw it looks like you can high jack a helicopter by grabbing a rope or maybe using a grappling hook.)

* You'll be able to drive boats and swim.

* The atmosphere reacts accordingly. (Example: You have 3 men standing under a balcony. If you shoot the balcony down it will collapse killing the men.)

* The only things that will not be destructable are the ground and the ruins of things you've already destroyed.

* Two player co-op mode allows the 2nd player to spawn in and out whenever they wish.

U-Warrior
03-30-2008, 07:11 PM
Well it was originaly supposed to come out in november, but its been delayed several times now due to major issues with the gameplay. Now its set for august I believe.

Makin me real nervous. Dunno why they are having issues. All they needed to due was tweak the gameplay from the first and it would have been fine.

U-Warrior
08-31-2008, 10:15 AM
Yeah, this comes out today. Pumped up for this shit. Good timing too, cause I'm sick as a fucking dog, and am stuck in the house fore labor day.

ClockShot
08-31-2008, 10:52 AM
I get to wait another few days cause I'm getting it for PC. :mad:

The Destroyer
08-31-2008, 10:56 AM
I get to wait virtually another week because everyone hates British gamers.

Shame there isn't a demo (or any reviews) yet, since as much as I think the game could be really good, I have a horrible feeling it could be terrible.

Cooler Tom Schuler
08-31-2008, 11:02 AM
The commercials for this make me want to punch my own ears out, though.

Bo
08-31-2008, 12:57 PM
The commercials for this make me want to punch my own ears out, though.

What are you talking about that song is awesome.

U-Warrior
08-31-2008, 12:59 PM
So IGN gave this a 7.9. Not a bad score at all, and most of the issues they adressed, aren't the type of things that would bother me personally.

And I've played countless games in the 7.x range that I've enjoyed as much as a 10, so it's looking like a straight buy for me.

Shaggy
08-31-2008, 01:05 PM
I liked the demo for the first game. I purchased the first game when the price dropped to like below $9 for a used copy. I just never got around to really playing it. This one makes me want to go back and play it because once I play this I doubt I will want to go back to the old one.

U-Warrior
08-31-2008, 04:07 PM
Got it.

So far so good, and I havn't even unlocked the grapple gun yet. The explosions are fucking awesome. Plays pretty much exactly like the first one. Only complaint so far is that the urban areas aren't that much more populated than the first game. But thats a minor one.

Kenny
08-31-2008, 11:00 PM
I got the game this morning and enjoy it, although I find it to be much more difficult than the first. The difficulty is good in the sense that it provides a good challenge, but at the same time when you factor in the loading time and having to start a challenge all over it can be a pain.

Has anyone gotten the Helicopter Air Support yet? First you have to give a guy named Ewan a ride to his helicopter, and then protect him while he fixes the helicopter. While protecting him, you have the option to collect 9 crates which fell out of the chopper in a crash. (It takes him 3 minutes to fix the plane.) Then you take the gun as he flies to a location I've yet to reach.

The problem I'm having is that I get multiple people shooting RPGs at me and you can barely see where they are coming from. Shooting from the chopper isn't exactly easy either because it's not very steady. When you die, you have to start over from the beginning... so that means you have to get back to the chopper and wait the 3 minutes again. It really takes a lot out of the game.

I really just got this game to hold me over until Impact comes out, which I will be getting to hold me over until Lego Batman comes out. So I have a lot to look forward to. If anyone has gotten past the part I talked about, any advice would be appreciated.

U-Warrior
09-01-2008, 01:07 AM
Yeah they definitly ramped the difficulty up, but the first was too easy tbh. They could have made better checkpoints tho, yeah. The soldiers that shoot rockets from windows are such a pain in the ass.

Also, I am in love with air strikes. I don't even take HVT's alive. I just get up on a high spot above the target, then watch as my russian pilot guy unleashes hell on the entire encampment. So worth losing half the bounty.

U-Warrior
09-01-2008, 01:11 AM
I hope there are cheat codes like in the first one. They add so much tor replay value, but developers have been skimping out on including them as of late. I read something about developers feeling it impedes their artistic vision of how the game should be played, or some other such nonsense.

Skippord
09-01-2008, 02:10 AM
I have to say I will more than likely never play this game but I love the commercial

Kenny
09-01-2008, 08:29 AM
I hope there are cheat codes like in the first one. They add so much tor replay value, but developers have been skimping out on including them as of late. I read something about developers feeling it impedes their artistic vision of how the game should be played, or some other such nonsense.

I suspect that they'll include them in this game. If there aren't any cheat codes, there will probably be an option for infinite weapons and/or money after you beat the game. Much of the appeal of this game is the fire power, and not necessarily the storyline. So with that in mind, I'd bet they will include some kind of method to have infinite ammo and air strikes.

Kenny
09-01-2008, 08:37 AM
I've yet to try them, but according to the Mercenaries 2 forum at Game FAQs, the cheats for the first game work for this one. Several people have confirmed. My wife's still sleeping and the PS is hooked up in our room for the time being, so I'll have to confirm later.

Also, according to 2 users you can get past that mission I was talking about if you take the enemies out before getting into the Chopper.

Enter any of these cheats at the "Factions" screen of the PDA.

Infinite Health: Up, Down, Up, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right

Infinite Ammo: Right, Left, Right, Right, Left, Right, Left, Left

Extra Cash Right, Down, Left, Up, Up, Left, Down, Right

Reset All Factions To Neutral: Up, Up, Up, Up, Down, Down, Right, Left

Credit: WurdMan at GameFaqs forums.

EDIT: I just confirmed, these codes do work. On the PS2 version at least.

U-Warrior
09-01-2008, 11:24 AM
shit they better work on 360.,

Kenny
09-01-2008, 11:33 AM
The cool thing about infinite health is that it resets every time you start or complete a mission. (Seems to anyway) So if you're having trouble with a mission and you don't want to have infinite health for the rest of the game, you're back to normal after you complete the mission.

If it doesn't automatically reset, you can just re-enter any code to turn it off.

Wait until you see the "Nuclear Bunker Buster." It's the most insane thing I've seen in a video game.

U-Warrior
09-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Just checked gamefaqs. They do not work on 360.

Kenny
09-01-2008, 12:37 PM
That sucks. How far are you in the game? I'm stuck on the second mission for the oil company.

U-Warrior
09-01-2008, 11:44 PM
I've unlocked contracts from the Jamaicans, but I havn't gotten to the second half of the map yet. I've been doing a lot of the side contracts. Yeah, second UP one is a bit hairy. Have a couple tank drops at the ready. Really useful at the last tower.

UmbrellaCorporation
09-02-2008, 08:15 PM
I love this game.

Seriously.

And the physics are awesome. Like in the second mission with the hedge maze, there were soldiers hiding in it, and I had to kill them all. Threw a grenade and the hedges burned away, revealing every single one of them. :cool:

...oh no you didn't.

Cooler Tom Schuler
09-02-2008, 09:15 PM
What are you talking about that song is awesome.

I have to say I will more than likely never play this game but I love the commercial

...seriously?

UmbrellaCorporation
09-02-2008, 09:36 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kCvIw7DMHXc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kCvIw7DMHXc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The Destroyer
09-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Seems fun so far, but it is a little flawed in places.

One annoying thing - the mission they used to show the 3 different styles of the 3 mercs is nowhere near as good in the actual game. It's the exact same mission, but because it comes so early on, you've got none of the strike options or vehicles the devs were using. :(

ClockShot
09-07-2008, 03:15 PM
God damn. I got this for my PC and it's got some issues. Hope they send over a patch soon to fix it up.

Just found Eva. Having a hard time trying to finish the test drive in the mine.

U-Warrior
09-07-2008, 04:52 PM
The A.I. really is fucking awful at points. I keep losing money, because civilians leap in front of my car when I'm driving IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FUCKING ROAD. I shouldn't lose cash because the civilian ai is suicidal.

The flaws don't bother me enough where I regret my purchase tho.

The Destroyer
09-17-2008, 07:50 AM
Hmm, bugtastic, I just got given 3 achievements for stuff I haven't even done yet. :-\

ClockShot
09-17-2008, 08:53 AM
PC version is even worse. Even though it's alot smoother graphics wise if you got a nice card. I folded and got the 360 game instead. I'm all caught up now.

Blitz
09-30-2008, 08:38 PM
http://www.destructoid.com/cheats-more-playable-characters-and-cross-region-co-op-headed-to-mercs-2-105713.phtml

Free downloadable update coming (Oct. 13th for Xbox and Oct. 20th for PS3) with cheats, 6 new playable characters, and cross region multiplayer. Pretty fucking cool.

UmbrellaCorporation
09-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Yeah, that's awesome. Can't wait for it.

U-Warrior
10-24-2008, 12:37 AM
Update has been pushed to November apparently. Dunno if I'll even touch this when I get farcry tho.

#BROKEN Hasney
11-01-2008, 04:14 AM
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/31/obama-palin-coming-to-mercenaries-2-dlc/

Obama and Palin are DLC characters

Nervous Ferret
11-03-2008, 05:20 PM
OH NO you didn't