PDA

View Full Version : What Appeals Most To The Very Casual Fans?

NoJabbaNoBogRoll
09-28-2006, 12:30 PM
My girlfriend is the ultimate 'casual' wrestling fan. She knows nothing about it, and only started watching a couple of months ago.

The wrestlers she is most interested in are: King Booker, Mr. Kennedy, Ric Flair, Vito, Umaga.

The moral of this story: Give everyone catchphrases, or managers with catchphrases. Or give them amusing gimmicks.

Casual fans need something that draws them in, and something they can recognise the next time they watch.

Shelton Benjamin, you don't fail to get over because you're black... It's because you're bland.

Indifferent Clox
09-28-2006, 12:36 PM
my fianceis kind of a punk.

But anyway, she likes ECW because I showed her the documentary. SHe likes CM Punk, Sabu, RVD. SHe doesn't like sandman, she says all these little kids like him and he's not that great of a guy.

she hates (like in a "i never want to see him again kind of way") the Miz. She thinks he puts punks in a bad light.

She'd probably like angle if she could see him.

She likes the DX/ Maria segment from monday.

She likes Chavo's boots and rey's masks.

and my cock.

Indifferent Clox
09-28-2006, 12:38 PM
but to answer your initial question I think it depends on the person.

Hulk Hogan appeals to the 'long time' casual fan.

My gf likes Andre the giant because of princess bride and the "obey Giant' Campaign from that Graffiti artist.

I mean some people like JBL because of his media invasion, some like the rock.

Some even like john cena.

Kane Knight
09-28-2006, 01:15 PM
Wait wait wait wait wait...Miz is punk?

ron the dial
09-28-2006, 01:17 PM
Sid Vicious. Who doesn't like that guy?

Indifferent Clox
09-28-2006, 01:22 PM
no miz isn't really punk, even though he references the mizfits, she just perceived him that way at first and hated him for it, now she jsut thinks he's an nanoying asshole.

I Try to tell her that is his gimmick but she won't listen.

Kane Knight
09-28-2006, 01:32 PM
IS it a gimmick?

NoJabbaNoBogRoll
09-28-2006, 01:38 PM
HOO-RAH!

Indifferent Clox
09-28-2006, 01:41 PM
IS it a gimmick?

I DON"T EVEN KNOW ANYOMRE!!!!!!!!!!

But I do like how he gave scotty 2 hotty a five mid match.

TerranRich
09-28-2006, 02:55 PM
Miz isn't a punk. He's a fuckstick. Yes, that's my new word for him.

Xero
09-28-2006, 02:59 PM
Is that like the Popsicle version of a Fuckjerk?

RP
09-28-2006, 03:04 PM
King Booker is the best thing going in my eyes

Just John
09-28-2006, 03:05 PM
Rey Mysterio, he seems to blow the casual fans mind with his lightning fast moves etc.

ron the dial
09-28-2006, 03:08 PM
When my non-wrestling fan friends come over and I'm watching wrestling, they always appreciate high-flying/risky moves. It draws them in because it's "so crazy." As far as characters are concerned, there have been lots of positive responses to Edge ("Oh, he's so racy."), the Highlanders ("Those guys are hilarious, you know, how they keep saying their names."), and Umaga ("He's a legitimate bad ass. I can tell."). This doesn't even cover SmackDown!, but there are quite a few things going today that appeal to the casual fan.

Xero
09-28-2006, 03:13 PM
Is that like the Popsicle version of a Fuckjerk?
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g122/sandman3g/Misc/fsticks.jpg

Stickman
09-28-2006, 03:21 PM
My gf isn't a fan at all. She hates wrestling. Cant' stand that shit. So naturally I make her watch it, "If you wanna hang out with me on monday night, I watch wrestling." She tends to do homework or sleep or something, but she will look up when there's a womens match, when a woman is on screen, when Cena comes out cuz he's the only hot wrestler, when Hulk Hogan comes out, when Mic Foley speaks, and occasionally a DX skit.

.44 Magdalene
09-28-2006, 04:46 PM
I've pretty much forced my girlfriend to watch wrestling with me since the beginning of our relationship, so she's not really a casual fan...but she does lean heavily toward being a mark. Seriously. She hates Booker T, loves Jeff Hardy, can't remember who AJ Styles and Christopher Daniels are (though she can sort of recall that the guy who looks like Imhotep is "The Fallen Angel"). She doesn't seem to care one way or the other for John Cena, but doesn't see why I get so irritated by him. Hates Edge, but not nearly as much as she hates Lita (probably because I tell her stories about how awesome Edge used to be). Hates Umaga. Hates Ariel, doesn't seem to care one or the other for Kevin Thorn. Doesn't understand why I love Balls Mahoney.

Savio
09-28-2006, 04:53 PM
I'm turning into a casual fan now

TerranRich
09-28-2006, 05:20 PM
Heh, I turned my girlfriend into a wrestling fan, but not a hardcore one. She's still a casual fan and likes the humor (when it's there), and likes DX, John Cena (OMG he's so HAWT), Batista (same reason), Kennedy, Rey Mysterio, Carlito, and Trish Stratus (cuz she's so HAWT...yeah she's into girls too).

RVDmark
09-28-2006, 09:28 PM
no miz isn't really punk, even though he references the mizfits, she just perceived him that way at first and hated him for it, now she jsut thinks he's an nanoying asshole.

I Try to tell her that is his gimmick but she won't listen.

To be honest if all casual fans think this then its a good thing.

Kane Knight
09-28-2006, 09:32 PM
Miz isn't a punk. He's a fucksickle. Yes, that's my new word for him.

IT'S STILL SUGARFREE TO ME, DAMMIT!

Kane Knight
09-28-2006, 09:36 PM
To be honest if all casual fans think this then its a good thing.

I can't name a casual fan that likes him at all.

Then again, my friends are sick of the way everyone tries to nick military lines these days, so just saying HOO RAAAAAAAAAAAAAA contaminates them.

Dorkchop
09-28-2006, 09:40 PM
Yes. Forcing your girlfriends to watch wrestling with you is the best way to keep a healthy happy relationship.

Mine doesn't care for wrestling, but usually pays attention when Christian is talking. She finds him hilarious and took a tiny interest in him because he's my all time favorite wrestler. I wish I had a tape of all the awesome things he's been a part of. So many hilarious moments with Edge, Jericho, Angle, Foley, and just about everyone.

When Rey isn't jobbing out to EVERYONE, I'd say he's probably the best guy for casual fans to watch. he does a lot of high flying flippy moves and pulls them off well without looking like he's doing 95729872 flips just because he can.

NoJabbaNoBogRoll
09-28-2006, 09:51 PM
After most of Rey's moves my girlfriend usually says 'Which one of them is doing the move there?'

Indifferent Clox
09-28-2006, 09:59 PM
my girlfriend hates john cena

Mr. Nerfect
09-28-2006, 10:34 PM
The guys that really beat the shit out of each other, or do the crazy stuff get the best reaction out of people on my end.

When my dad visits and RAW is on, he always seemed more interested in Kurt Angle and Big Show than anyone. They're his favourites. He HATES John Cena. He HATES The Boogeyman, and he HATES Eugene. Considering my dad is a casual viewer (can watch without being disgusted or frustrated, doesn't consider himself a "fan"), these things are stopping him. The stupid gimmicks pretty much piss him off.

He likes Ric Flair, because he wears Rolex and has taste, but when he saw him in a TLC Match against Edge, he couldn't believe Flair would last long against Edge. He's kind of favourable to Edge, too. He found his promo in Quebec highly humourous. He also knows Matt Hardy, and seems to like the guy, and asks me constantly if "The Undertaker is still in it". They could go either way, though. He likes Shawn Michaels, Chris Jericho and Joey Styles, because they are Christians, and he hates Val Venis, which is why I refuse to put him up at my place permanently.

He seems to be interested in women's wrestling. The first time he saw Lita do the Litacanrana he goes "Wow, that was a good move". He watched Trish Stratus and Mickie James in the ring once, and was entertained by it. Not in the pervy way, but in the "they can actually do stuff" way.

He doesn't like older guys. He thinks Finlay "looks old", and he can't stand it when Hulk Hogan comes back (seriously). He does like Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler, though. The most interested he is in Triple H is when he asks "are he and Stephanie still together?". I think he likes the guy, though. He'd probably really dislike Umaga.

But yeah, his favourite wrestlers are Kurt Angle and Big Show, so that says something about the "legit" guys. Oh, and by the way, he hated Brock Lesnar when he was around. He didn't by that Lesnar could beat Big Show, and he though he looked hideous. Lesnar and Cena, the two big things of the WWE have both been disliked by my casual fan father.

TerranRich
09-28-2006, 11:22 PM
my girlfriend hates john cena
Luckyyyyy...

Dave Youell
09-29-2006, 06:29 AM
My Mrs is a nightmare when it comes to this.

She comes up with recognisable nicknames.

Ultimo Dragon was known as spangly cape man
Then she used to confuse him with the Hurricane

What Would Kevin Do?
09-29-2006, 06:35 AM
My girlfriend likes Dragon gate :)

Mr. Nerfect
09-29-2006, 08:07 AM
My Mrs is a nightmare when it comes to this.

She comes up with recognisable nicknames.

Ultimo Dragon was known as spangly cape man
Then she used to confuse him with the Hurricane

:lol:

And you marry her, WWKD, MARRY HER!

Stickman
09-29-2006, 12:09 PM
My gf also likes the Big Show. According to her, "He must have a huge dick"

Mister Sinister
09-29-2006, 01:10 PM
Every Chick I ever dated that was into Wrestling, Was always in love with Matt Hardy....Yes I said Matt

Except For this one girl who was big into Gregory Helms, who was the Hurricane at the time...I told her I was his Cousin (we have the same last name and have live in the same area near each other) so she fuck my brains out

TerranRich
09-29-2006, 01:19 PM
...I told her I was his Cousin (we have the same last name and have live in the same area near each other) so she fuck my brains out

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/395/hurricane1wg4.jpg
STAYAND BACK!! THERE'S A HURRICANE CUMMIN' THROUGH!!

Mr. Aristocrat
09-29-2006, 01:29 PM
I love my girlfriend. She has been a fan since the mid 90's. The first day I met her I said something and she asked "really?" and totally unaware she even knew what wrestling was I said "Oh it's true. It's true!" and without so much as a blink she went into a whole big long speach on how Kurt Angle is the greatest star to never reach that "A List" legendary level, and how she wondered why that is...I love my girlfriend.

Fox
09-29-2006, 01:33 PM
None of my friends like wrestling, so I get to see a lot of reactions to wrestling from casuals.

"Yeah, I'm sure that guy (Sandman) can win. Big Show could just sit on him and it'd be over."

"Is that a fucking Vampire?"

"Can we watch something else? Something without a fat samoan guy in big black undies?"
"Did he just ram his ass into that other guy's dick? What the fuck was that?"

"Vince McMahon is the goods, dude. Where's Stone Cold?"

"HOLY SHIT!" (after a front-flip Arabian Facebuster from Sabu)

"What happened to Goldberg?"

"Is that supposed to be a retarded guy? Wow..."

"UNDERTAKER!!!!!!"

What Would Kevin Do?
09-29-2006, 01:37 PM
And you marry her, WWKD, MARRY HER!

Marriage.. Ick.. That's what she wants.

I dunno, she's odd. She doesn't watch wrestling on her own, but she'l watch it with me, and tolerates it well, and knows stuff. She'll also go to ROH shows, enjoys them, and likes ROH way better than WWE.

Also, some of her favorite wrestlers... Jericho, Benoit, Angle, Shawn Micheal, and Jimmy Jacobs.

Mr. Aristocrat
09-29-2006, 01:37 PM
I will say this, Big Show is ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS the first guy any of my friends who don't watch wrestling remember. They always want him to win, and always think it's a joke if he doesn't. I know people who don't know a wrist lock from a wrist watch that know who Big Show is. Like him or not, he is in a weird way, kind of a draw.

TerranRich
09-29-2006, 03:03 PM
I've heard that a lot, that most casual fans (or even non-fans) love the Big Show. I seriously don't get it.

ron the dial
09-29-2006, 04:06 PM
I've heard that a lot, that most casual fans (or even non-fans) love the Big Show. I seriously don't get it.
But he's so..big! And...big! Everyone loves big.

Yeah, I don't get it either.

Kane Knight
09-29-2006, 05:54 PM
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/395/hurricane1wg4.jpg
STAYAND BACK!! THERE'S A HURRICANE CUMMIN' IN YOU!!

Mr. Nerfect
09-29-2006, 06:02 PM
I will say this, Big Show is ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS the first guy any of my friends who don't watch wrestling remember. They always want him to win, and always think it's a joke if he doesn't. I know people who don't know a wrist lock from a wrist watch that know who Big Show is. Like him or not, he is in a weird way, kind of a draw.

I concur. The guy is just massive, which means he should be able to kill things.

Here are the wrestlers I knew before I became a wrestling fan: Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Undertaker, Kane and Rikishi. Seriously, that's it. I didn't know about The Rock, nor did I know about Hulk Hogan. I knew about Kane and Rikishi before I knew about them.

purewrestlingfan
09-29-2006, 07:05 PM
actually ppl around me love john cena and they get pissed off and start pulling my ass out if I make a mistake to say CENA SUCKS