PDA

View Full Version : The Kane character.

Ben Rodrigues
10-01-2006, 10:06 AM
How is Kane still over not only with marks but also with some internet smarks? I mean - he's a decent in ring talent at best, but thats not my beef with him. His character development is the most inconsistent of all WWE's character creations which just ruin him in general for me.

From being locked in the basement for 20 years, to drink driving after a party and killing Katey Vick, to torturing animals on the way to school and never being burnt at all in the first place among other things.

I realise that what I've written is not new - and almost everybody on the board has said the same thing at one point or another, but it still bugs me. How the hell has Kane stayed over without being booed or shitted on by the fans?

Xero
10-01-2006, 10:11 AM
I don't think it's really because of the gimmick, but because he's actually a decent big man.

It could also be contributed, at least partially, to nostalgia. I know what I'm about to say doesn't make sense, but even with all the inconsistencies, the base character stayed fairly consistant since his debut. He's a monster and always has been, and the monster gimmick is one of the more popular gimmicks. The fact that Kane can deliever decent matches and great brawls only adds to it.

Kane Knight
10-01-2006, 10:24 AM
He's a solid large wrestler and one of the few names who hasn't deteriorated in quality over the last decade?

McLegend
10-01-2006, 10:29 AM
I hate Kane. I don't even think hes a good wrestler anymore.

Crippla
10-01-2006, 10:31 AM
What the hell KK? You stole it.

Mr. Nerfect
10-01-2006, 10:57 AM
Xero and KK hit the nail on the head. Kane's a solid big man, and he actually seems to be just as good as he used to be. He's perhaps even getting to wrestle more these days than he used to back when he was booked as a monster.

I also think a lot of it has to do with pity. We all feel sorry for a good character that's been turned to shit due to years of retcons and bad writing.

Hanso Amore
10-01-2006, 11:29 AM
Kane is one of the Best big men in the WWE, ever. Not saying he is one of the best overall ever, but in terms of big men, he is light years ahead of Khali, nathan Jones, Matt Morgan, Abyss and so forth.

name another legit big man in the ring not on that list...There hasnt been many successfull big men.

Top 5 Big Men
1) Vader
2)Taker
3)Kane
4) Bam Bam Bigelow(terribly booked but good in the ring)
5) Big Show

Kane Knight
10-01-2006, 11:40 AM
What the hell KK? You stole it.

More or less I simply agree with Xero. This are not solely my own ideas, but they are the reasons I feel to be true as well.

Crippla
10-01-2006, 12:06 PM
No, I meant I was typing something similar out but then I saw you posted it.

ron the dial
10-01-2006, 12:09 PM
I'm pretty much just going to echo everyone else's sentiments here. Kane is a solid big guy who doesn't fail to entertain me, regardless of what shitty storyline they decided to stick him in. I can't explain why marks dig Kane (fire? I know I like fire), but I think smarks can still get behind him based on respect. He's endured a lot crap over the years, but he's still going.

Mr. JL
10-01-2006, 12:31 PM
Kane is the goods.

Kane Knight
10-01-2006, 01:02 PM
No, I meant I was typing something similar out but then I saw you posted it.

...You're stalking me, aren't you?

Caged Heat18
10-01-2006, 01:09 PM
...You're stalking me, aren't you?

Don't drop the soap. :shifty:

hb2k
10-01-2006, 01:11 PM
Kane is terrible. His gimmick is stale and played-out, he has never been good in the ring and is especially terrible now. Just God awful

Y2Jeremy
10-01-2006, 01:14 PM
Kane is my favorite RAW guy. He is a good worker that can wrestle anyone, He has never complained about the shitty runs he has been given, and everything about his entrance is cool. If the Kane of today had the look of Kane when he debuted, he would be the best character on TV.

hb2k
10-01-2006, 01:22 PM
I don't understand how anyone likes the guy, I really don't.

ron the dial
10-01-2006, 01:26 PM
I don't understand how anyone likes the guy, I really don't.
Well, reading this thread might help some...

hb2k
10-01-2006, 01:33 PM
I'm all for opinion, but I'll go out on a limb right now and say that if you like Kane, your opinion is wrong.

McLegend
10-01-2006, 01:40 PM
I'm all for opinion, but I'll go out on a limb right now and say that if you like Kane, your opinion is wrong.
LOL

Kane Knight
10-01-2006, 01:44 PM
Kane is my favorite RAW guy. He is a good worker that can wrestle anyone, He has never complained about the shitty runs he has been given, and everything about his entrance is cool. If the Kane of today had the look of Kane when he debuted, he would be the best character on TV.

There's an old adage about not judging someone by how they handle success, but how they handle failure. Glen's handled being jobbed out to everyone under the sun, and has always continued to show a professional and intense persona. Even if he doesn't like it, I've never seen him show it.

Some people, you can tell when they're not into it.

Y2Jeremy
10-01-2006, 02:06 PM
Maybe his lack of major success is a good thing, because I would hate for this guy to become as lazy as taker, or as political as HHH.

Kane Knight
10-01-2006, 05:57 PM
Unfortunately, we still get lazy workers out of it. It's just they're the people who go over him.

hb2k
10-01-2006, 06:06 PM
Yeh, Kane is a real workhorse. Think of all the five star matches he's had this year.

Boondock Saint
10-01-2006, 06:29 PM
I've never minded Kane. He's decent in-ring, and like others have said, he's put up with a lot of shit over the years yet we don't hear him causing any trouble backstage. I've never been a huge fan of him but I agree with Xero, his basic monster persona has always remained true. X-Pac and Tori pussified him for a bit I guess, but usually they always build him up as a monster.

When his pyro goes off you know he's prolly gonna kick some ass. Whoever is in the ring looks like they just shit their pants, it makes him look like a real threat.

Lord-Of-Darkness
10-01-2006, 06:36 PM
I'm also a huge Kane mark, but its like Ben said, the inconsistent storylines don't seem to bother the people who are behind him. I just laugh off all the fuck ups. One that I havent actually seen mentioned before though, seeing as its so small, yet made me think is this :

Paul Bearer brought Kane in with one purpose, to destroy the Undertaker.

6 years on, Kane finally does this, supposedly, by burying him alive.

A few months later, the Undertaker returns as the Deadman, with none other than Paul Bearer at his side.....
Paul walks towards the ring, which Kane is already in, looks at Kane and shouts 'You're no son of mine!'....

Interesting. He brought his son in to defeat the Undertaker, he finally does it, and then hes wrong for doing it.

Once again a round of applause goes to the WWE:y:

Lux
10-01-2006, 07:50 PM
Its just Kane has good matchs, an interesting charactor and is one of a handful of good bigs guys left in entertainment. Kane = some ratings

Mr. Nerfect
10-01-2006, 09:19 PM
Yeh, Kane is a real workhorse. Think of all the five star matches he's had this year.

How many guys 300lbs+ have five star matches? Kane's purpose is entertainment first. For a guy his size, he could bring a really lame "hoss" style, but he actually tries to adapt some psychology into his stuff. His matches with Umaga have actually been pretty good. It'll be great to see them at Cyber Sunday when they get to cut loose with weapons, etc.

hb2k
10-01-2006, 09:58 PM
I like you Alienoid, but let's be honest, comparing him to stiffs just shows he's a stiff.

Mr. Nerfect
10-01-2006, 10:05 PM
I like you Alienoid, but let's be honest, comparing him to stiffs just shows he's a stiff.

Well, I'm probably not the best person to comment on his abilities. Kane was my favourite wrestler when I started watching, back when I didn't wet myself for Angle vs. Benoit (I could appreciate it, but I didn't wet myself). I can see why you'd think he is fairly cloddish in the ring. I do think he he's a better than average big man, though. He's got years in the business, and works pretty well with talent.

I mean, if you're going to have a big man, you may as well get a big man that doesn't botch every move in the ring, or run the risk of dangering other workers. I think "competent" is the best word to describe Kane in the ring.

Kane Knight
10-01-2006, 10:25 PM
Does anyone here expect 5 star matches?

The guy's a solid worker. Nobody's claiming he's Kurt Angle.

FaceOfDeath
10-01-2006, 11:42 PM
Kane isn't that great because he lacks discipline

Jeritron
10-02-2006, 12:39 AM
Kanes absolutely a workehorse. Hes a great wrestler for a guy his size and holds himself together no matter what they have him doing, hes a backbone of the midcard and hes there when they need him. Hes been misused, jobbed out and held back and hes managed to still go out there and work with a sense of pride, at least in his matches.
He deserves a run, and to hold the title, at least once (the 24hr reign barely counts). I think the best thing for Kane at this point would be to have time off, not that I wish injury on him, but for him to able to make a big return after some time off and go to smackdown where they could easily use him in the main event, perhaps even with the mask and long hair again at least for a while.

Fox
10-02-2006, 02:19 AM
The Kane of today benefits from the Kane of yesteryear.

His feuds with Undertaker, Triple H and Stone Cold Steve Austin cemented him as a main event player during the Attitude Era.

But let's face it. He hasn't done anything worthwhile since he took off the mask. He's marginal at best in the ring, and his style is often very predictable and boring to watch. His matches feel like a taped recording being played over and over again. And the Chokeslam just doesn't have the same effect it once did. And let's not even go into his mic skills, which are basically non-existant.

He's lucky to be who he is and where he is. Much more talented wrestlers have been fired, demoted and used for shit, while Kane has always seemed to have a nice spot on the card, despite not being very interesting.

Impact!
10-02-2006, 02:52 AM
Kane is one of the Best big men in the WWE, ever. Not saying he is one of the best overall ever, but in terms of big men, he is light years ahead of Khali, nathan Jones, Matt Morgan, Abyss and so forth.

name another legit big man in the ring not on that list...There hasnt been many successfull big men.

Top 5 Big Men
1) Vader
2)Taker
3)Kane
4) Bam Bam Bigelow(terribly booked but good in the ring)
5) Big Show
Tbh Matt Morgan & Abyss aren't to bad. Morgan's fairly good in the ring, and Abyss is a can put on a pretty solid match.

weather vane
10-02-2006, 02:59 AM
I'm really not a fan of Kane. I used to like him back when he was all crazy with a mask. Now its all crap.

He just bores the hell out of me.

Skippord
10-02-2006, 03:07 AM
I'm probably the biggest Kane mark here I love that big bastard.

Oh and Abyss is the man

Jeritron
10-02-2006, 03:08 AM
a well booked Kane title reign would have/still could work, but unfortunately we won't see it happen. I just dont see why they continue to give big show runs but not Kane.
When they took his mask off they killed a lot of what people liked about him too. Hes a good wrestler for what he is, and thats a big man but most of his appeal to fans was his look and that unstoppable monster mystique. He was like a slasher in a wrestling ring, I know people who dont even like wrestling but liked Kane.

Stickman
10-02-2006, 02:43 PM
I can't stand Kane to be honest. I hate to say it but I find myself turning the channel when he's on.

ron the dial
10-02-2006, 04:02 PM
a well booked Kane title reign would have/still could work, but unfortunately we won't see it happen. I just dont see why they continue to give big show runs but not Kane.
As much as I like Kane, I don't think he should ever hold the title again. Due to all of the shit that his character has been through, it's hard for me to look at him as a legitimate champ. I wouldn't be pissed if they put the belt on him, but I would feel like it was too little, too late.

redoneja
10-02-2006, 04:33 PM
I'm really not a fan of Kane. I used to like him back when he was all crazy with a mask. Now its all crap.

He just bores the hell out of me.

Hanso Amore
10-02-2006, 04:45 PM
Tbh Matt Morgan & Abyss aren't to bad. Morgan's fairly good in the ring, and Abyss is a can put on a pretty solid match.

While Morgan is improving his is not near Kane in terms of match quality.

Abyss is crap crap crap crap crap.

He needs to be booked with solid workers to carry the match. Other than throwing people through tables and on thumbtacks he sucks in the ring.

He is good in hardcore rules though

McLegend
10-02-2006, 05:10 PM

He needs to be booked with solid workers to carry the match. Other than throwing people through tables and on thumbtacks he sucks in the ring.

When have we ever seen Abyss not in Hardcore match or a squash match?

Don't think you have enough to go on to make that assumption.

Destor
10-02-2006, 05:14 PM
Yeah, they give him the typical useless Bigman gimmick you see on the Indies. Everyone knows he can't work a match so he either works squashes or gimmick matches. You know, stuff that anyone can get over.

Xero
10-02-2006, 05:15 PM

Aside from the having to be carried part, that's basically Foley in a nutshell.

Destor
10-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Foley did struggle to carry people... he's no Triple H thats for sure.

Mr. Aristocrat
10-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Abyss is shit. Seriously. Every PPV they have to give him a gimmick match, has he EVER had a match that wasn't a squash match that didn't allow him to use weapons? How TNA convinced the Orlando Marks he is worth while is beyond me.

Mr. Aristocrat
10-02-2006, 05:20 PM
I totally disgaree. Foley knew how to work a match, play to the crowd, and his timing was great. He wasn't a technical great, but he was fantastic. Go back and review some old Foley matches and you will see the man was an awesome bumping machine and basically a human dart board, but he didn't need that stuff to have a good match.

Xero
10-02-2006, 05:21 PM
Foley did struggle to carry people... he's no Triple H thats for sure.
Yeah, but he can stand his own with decent guys and doesn't NEED to be carried to deliever.

Xero
10-02-2006, 05:24 PM
I totally disgaree. Foley knew how to work a match, play to the crowd, and his timing was great. He wasn't a technical great, but he was fantastic. Go back and review some old Foley matches and you will see the man was an awesome bumping machine and basically a human dart board, but he didn't need that stuff to have a good match.
Name me a good Foley match without at least one big bump or a few stiff shots from someone after he was a jobber (I'm talking WCW-on). That's what he's known for and that's what he delivers.

I'm not saying Foley's bad, it's quite the contrary, I'm just saying that when he wrestled he always threw in at least one big spot.

Destor
10-02-2006, 05:24 PM
Yeah, but he can stand his own with decent guys and doesn't NEED to be carried to deliever.No Foley doesn't need to be carried. Not at all. But if he was the better of the two...it wasn't always pretty. Foley knew that he couldn't carry a lot of people so he went above and beyond to take a beating, just to save the match. And in my opinion, thats cheap, the effort is admirable, but it's still cheap. (I am not the biggest Foley fan.)

Destor
10-02-2006, 05:28 PM
Funny how a Kane thread turned into a Abyss discussion and now a Foley discussion.

Xero
10-02-2006, 05:32 PM
You know what's next...

You know what I heard? Mick Foley had something to do with the Bret Hart screwjob!

Stickman
10-02-2006, 05:33 PM
At least Abyss and Foley sort of have a gimmick. Kane is a "monster", a tag they put on anybody over 6'7''. Seriously what is Kane's gimmick if it's not a generic monster?

Destor
10-02-2006, 05:34 PM
Followed by:

I heard Foley pushed Owen, man if that hadn't happened Owen would have been a 10 time champ!

Xero
10-02-2006, 05:46 PM
At least Abyss and Foley sort of have a gimmick. Kane is a "monster", a tag they put on anybody over 6'7''. Seriously what is Kane's gimmick if it's not a generic monster?
He's Undertaker's brother with supernatural powers. That's not a gimmick?

Caged Heat18
10-02-2006, 05:57 PM
Followed by:

I heard Foley pushed Owen, man if that hadn't happened Owen would have been a 10 time champ!

That damn Foley.

Destor
10-02-2006, 05:58 PM
Or maybe he shot him? Conspiracy?

Destor
10-02-2006, 05:58 PM
BANG! BANG!

Xero
10-02-2006, 05:59 PM
Back, and to the left.

Kane Knight
10-02-2006, 05:59 PM

The difference is, while Foley wasn't a brilliant in-ring worker, he could carry his own. That's a pretty important thing here. While he's not a top tier athelete, he was atheletic enough for a fake sport that deals primarily in entertainment. Abyss couldn't touch Foley's jockstrap, let alone compare to Mankind, glorified stuntman or not.

The only thing he's got going for him is he's significantly more fit. But fit doesn't make you particularly good.

Xero
10-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Thinking about it, that was a pretty stupid statement.

I should have worded it more to the fact that it sounds like Foley's more famous side. The first thing someone would think of when talking about Foley in the ring.

BatistaBombed!
10-02-2006, 06:24 PM
this abys guy, can he do any BOMBs? if so i would like check him out. im always in a the mood for a good BOMB! but he wont be no Batista, no one can equal his BOMBing power

hb2k
10-02-2006, 06:34 PM

Kane SUCKS. He's rarely had a good match in his life, and frequently has matches that set the business back five decades.

Kane Knight
10-02-2006, 10:52 PM
Kane SUCKS. He's rarely had a good match in his life, and frequently has matches that set the business back five decades.

God DAMN. You are officially the biggest drama queen on TPWW.

Jeritron
10-02-2006, 11:09 PM
Kane certainly does not SUCK. Hes no kurt angle or bret hart, but he wrestles a solid match. Hes not rey mysterio or rvd, but he can take to the air like no other guy his size, and for a 7ft giant I'd like to see someone that size outwrestle him. For a big man hes remarkeable, and though his gimmick has been hurt over the years, hes still a solid name. For a 7ft guy, He has more athletic talent than Shaq.

Kane Knight
10-03-2006, 10:25 AM
Actually, most big men aren't as inflexible as they're made out to be. Jacobs is not a better flyer than most of these guys, he's just allowed to do some basic top rope stuff.

Similar to Vis being pegged as agile for his little heel kick.

Kane Knight
10-03-2006, 10:28 AM
I should say not necessarily. Jacobs could be a fucking luchadore for all I know, but that doesn't really matter.

Stickman
10-03-2006, 01:05 PM
He's Undertaker's brother with supernatural powers. That's not a gimmick?

Ohhhhh I thought they dropped that gimmick. It's been years since that had anything to do with Kane. They may have mentioned it in passing every now and then.

Xero
10-03-2006, 02:02 PM
Ohhhhh I thought they dropped that gimmick. It's been years since that had anything to do with Kane. They may have mentioned it in passing every now and then.
Well, the brother thing is basically non-existant unless they need them to feud or team. But the powers stuff is still in effect with his pyros.

Kane Knight
10-03-2006, 03:10 PM
His pyros aren't really supernatural anymore. Hell, how many times have they been interrupted/disrupted/whatever by someone else?

Xero
10-03-2006, 03:20 PM
His pyros aren't really supernatural anymore. Hell, how many times have they been interrupted/disrupted/whatever by someone else?
Loss of concentration possibly.

I mean, I know I'm just making excuses here, but the pyros should represent his powers. I remember a thread I made about when he entered on Unlimited and his Pyro didn't go off and he'd start losing his powers. He'd get really weak and couldn't handle cruiserweights and shit.

Kane Knight
10-03-2006, 03:29 PM
Besides, at the point that DX can "summon " pyro without magic powers (Behold, the crotch chop), raising your hands and going BOOM ain't all that impressive. Especially when Taker raises the lights and it's supposedly not magic or anything like that anymore.

Xero
10-03-2006, 03:31 PM
Taker's a zombie though...

Or does he just THINK he's dead now?

God, Kane only has little inconsistancies and one big one, Taker must have been dead and alive at least five times throughout his career.

hb2k
10-03-2006, 05:11 PM
I wouldn't need to be so dramatic if there weren't people who ignore the fact Kane's had some of the worst matches ever.

So, to prove you wrong, I am boycotting this thread out of a combination of anger and dismay.

Kane Knight
10-03-2006, 05:17 PM
I wouldn't need to be so dramatic if there weren't people who ignore the fact Kane's had some of the worst matches ever.

So, to prove you wrong, I am boycotting this thread out of a combination of anger and dismay.

Again with the drama queening. Have your tantrum, the thread won't miss you.

hb2k
10-03-2006, 05:36 PM
OH! OH! I WILL~!

Xero
10-03-2006, 05:46 PM
That was one hell of a boycot.

Must have lasted longer than someone saying that they're boycotting RAW for the rest of the lives.

Skippord
10-03-2006, 05:48 PM
I should say not necessarily. Jacobs could be a fucking luchadore for all I know, but that doesn't really matter.
You obviously havent seen the Quintuple Kane Backflip

Stickman
10-03-2006, 05:49 PM

You are right, some of his matches have been terrible.

Savio
10-03-2006, 05:57 PM
The Kane character is over with the smarks because he is a good worker and always keeps his head up. HOWEVER Someone who doesn't keep his head up is this guy

sorry i had to.

Anyway, yeah, I guess a few of you know by now and a few have guessed. Things haven't worked out with me and DMI and i dunno, doesn't seem healthy or smart to be here anymore. I guess I owe more than anyone to this site, the happiest time of my life and everything would never have come about if it wasn't for this place.

I imagine i'm not doing my real world credibility any good by posting this but oh well.

I'll still be around on msn for those who know me and whatnot. For those who I don't speak to as often, i wish you all the best.

I love you Jessica

Take care everyone.

Kane Knight
10-03-2006, 07:12 PM
What did that have to do with things?