PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Football Playoffs

BCWWF
10-03-2006, 09:24 PM
I just posted this in the other thread, but this is a bigger topic than that. I was told of this playoff format last year by a friend of mine, and in my opinion it is the best possible format. It includes all of the Div. 1A conference champions as well as the five next best teams.

Format:
16 teams - four weeks long, still ending in beginning of January.
9 D-1A conference champions recieve automatic bids: ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Big East, Pac-10, SEC, as well as C-USA, MAC, Mountain West, Sun Belt and WAC.
5 teams recieve automatic bids
All rankings done based on the AP Poll (or some other legit one)

So, based on the current AP rankings and some assumed conference champions, this is what the tournament would look like right now.

First Round:
1. Ohio State (Big Ten champ)
16. Middle Tennessee (Sun Belt champ)

8. Louisville (at large 3)
9. LSU (at large 4)

4. West Virginia (Big East champ)
13. Utah (Mountain West champ)

5. Florida (at large 1)
12. Boise State (WAC champ)

3. USC (Pac-10 champ)
14. Houston (C-USA champ)

6. Michigan (at large 2)
11. Clemson (ACC champ)

7. Texas (Big 12 champ)
10. Georgia (at large 5)

2. Auburn (SEC Champ)
15. Kent State (MAC champ)

*Some conference champions are assumed, and might be very off, especially in the small conferences. Seeding is done by rankings.

ROUND 2
1. Ohio State
9. LSU

4. West Virginia
5. Florida

3. USC
6. Michigan

7. Texas
2. Auburn

Round 3
Orange Bowl
1. Ohio State
5. Florida

Sugar Bowl
3. USC
2. Auburn

Finals
Rose Bowl (National Championship)
1. Ohio State
3. USC

Fiesta Bowl (consolation third place game)
5. Florida
2. Auburn

Champions:
1. Ohio State
2. USC
3. Auburn
4. Florida

Then, to please the other people, some real emphasis can be placed on the top tier bowl games.

Capitol One Bowl: Notre Dame (replacing SEC) vs. Iowa
Cotton Bowl: Oklahoma vs. Tennessee
Peach Bowl: Florida State vs. Oregon (replacing SEC)
Gator Bowl: Georgia Tech vs. Rutgers

--------------------
Reasons why I think it works:
1. Based on the AP Poll, the No. 1 thru No. 10 teams are all included. No. 16, No. 20 would also be in based on winning their conference.
2. As of right now, there is nothing to play for in the five non-BCS conferences. Even if they go undefeated, they are unlikely to play in the best BCS bowl. Not only would this method help build up the smaller programs, but it would also give a team like Boise State or Utah a legitimate chance for the national title.
3. There would be some blowouts, specifically No. 1-16, 2-15, 3-14 and 4-13, but I think that is the price you pay. If you switched to eight games with only the BCS conference champions, you would be leaving out Louisville to get the ACC champion in there. If you went to 16 teams but left out the smaller conference champions, it would defeat the purpose. You still have teams with no chance of making the national title game while you are continuing to preach that the only reason you have the five non-BCS conferences is to collect paychecks for losing.
4. If Texas can play Houston and count it as a Div. 1A win, why should Houston's conference be completely disregarded after week 4?

Reasons for controversy:
1. Notre Dame would not be in it under this setup. If there was some bullshit Independent team clause, that would mean No. 12 Notre Dame would be in and No. 10 Georgia out. That is not fair to me, and because Notre Dame has just as much opportunity to be an at-large bid as anybody else, they should have to earn it. If Notre Dame plays a season good enough to win a conference, they will be top 10 already.
2. No. 11 Oregon would want in. Well too bad, finishing second in the Pac-10 doesn't help you here.
3. Obviously Middle Tennessee isn't on the same caliber as Ohio State, but to make it fair and give them an opportunity means more to me than seeing Oklahoma losing to Ohio State. I would rather see Oklahoma playing Tennessee in a better game TBH.

I am getting lazy of explaining things, but just what is your input on this format?

BCWWF
10-04-2006, 04:26 PM
Fuck you all I am bumping

Jesus Shuttlesworth
10-04-2006, 04:34 PM
I don't feel like wasting my time to go into it, since it is never going to happen. If they where going to do it though, they would probably use the top 16 BCS rankings or something like that. They aren't going to use all the league champions, that is kind of dumb. It's not like it would be the NCAA Tournament with 64 teams.

Oh yeah, What would you do with co-champions? Take away one of the 5 at-large bids? This tournament would probably start even more controversy

BCWWF
10-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Every league should already have a conference championship game, IMO.

The Outlaw
10-04-2006, 08:33 PM
Top 8, 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, 3 vs 6, 4 vs 5.

Or Top 12, top 4 get a bye, 5 vs 12, 6 vs 11, 7 vs 10, 8 vs 9.

I had a longggggg reply last night but it effed up and I'm about to bounce so that's the gist of the two systems I could see working.

BCWWF
10-04-2006, 08:57 PM
The only forseeable problem that I have with only having eight teams, with six of them coming from the BCS conferences, is that there are often conference champions who are not in the top eight. The ACC won't be again this year, if WVU loses a game they probably won't be, and even Texas might not be. In my method, with five wildcards, any team deserving of being in the finals is given a chance.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
10-04-2006, 11:03 PM
I tried looking up the 1AA one, but I had a tough time finding exactly how it worked.

Anyway, its never gonna happen. Programs/leagues make way too much money off of the individual bowl games. BCS is gonna be the best we get, so might as well live with it

BCWWF
10-05-2006, 12:54 AM
I don't really get that though. Would having a playoff automatically end the individual bowls? Cause the way I envisioned it was that the top whatever teams do the playoff and the rest just have a bowl game or whatever.

Have any of you guys ever been to a bowl game? It is kinda shitty, because in reality most of them are pretty lame. I don't think many of them sell out except the BCS and some of the bigger ones, and for a lot of teams hardly anybody travels to watch them. Some of them, like the one in Pac Bell Park in San Francisco and stuff, just seem so pointless.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
10-05-2006, 11:58 AM
It doesn't matter how shitty they are, the sponsors of the bowls pay a lot of money to the programs and the conferences.

So, if they did do like a top 8 playoff system, you'd just be losing out on the biggest bowls of them all (BCS) and they aren't going to want to do that either. Plus the players love going to the bowl games, since they get tons of free shit and get to go to a pretty sick place in Dec/Jan. So ADs and the NCAA are going to push that point about the players liking it. While they aren't lieing, the players definetly enjoy it, they only do it so they can get the huge bowl payouts.

As you can already tell, I've pretty much given up on a playoff system ever happening in D1 NCAA football. Good chance this year we could see 3 undefeated teams at the end of the season, but still nothing will change.

The Outlaw
10-12-2006, 04:58 PM
The DII playoffsis a 24 team field.